Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

From what I have observed the only change following that discussion about the site a few months ago was that the moderator called Raichu ceased moderating.

And that's it. Certainly as regards AH/CA the same ad hoc biased, incompetent moderation continues - it's a lottery. And that's not just my opinion but shared widely. It should be possible for people to hold mildly differing views on this site provided they address the points raised in posts, are civil and don't attack other posters. But that's not how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭flyer_query

I don't think that mod stepping down was anything to do with that thread, it was inevitable that this was going to happen one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

That not what happens though is it, people insult each other and throw their toys out of the pram - and not surprisingly get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Some of the worst behaviour, including persistent insults and goading, comes from posters who do not get banned. This has been consistently mentioned in feedback threads just to be dismissed or ignored.

There are numerous cases where posters are civil, who address the points raised and who get warned or banned. For holding a different opinion. Simply at the moderators whim or possibly where another poster is offended by their opinion.

No insults, no toys thrown out of the pram - just plain intolerance and censorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Simply stating mods are biased is unfortunately like claiming a referee in football is biased. Easy to claim, much harder to prove. And those who run foul of the ref or mod or more than likley to complain they have been treated unfairly. At least on boards you can publicly challenge your bans and the mods have to explain their reasoning. Every form of social media has censorship even the right wing ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Except on Boards, if you publically challenge your ban in the DR forum, there is a circling of the wagons.

It's actually stated somewhere (in Dispute Resolution?) that complaints about mods are not tolerated.

The biggest problem that i see is that there are cliques within some areas of these boards, and unfortunately some of the mods (and in at least one case, a cmod) are active members of those cliques themselves. They will allow their like-minded clique members to pile on, bully, and deride any poster who does not run with the clique, with impunity.

And then, at the first opportunity, they will warn or ban the poster who dares to stand up for themselves, or complain about it, for the slightest - and in some cases, for a made-up on the spot reason.

There is an explanation given in dispute resolution cases. I'm not sure how else they could run dispute resolution.

Regarding cliques again that is your opinion. I have no way of knowing if it is true or you are just unhappy because of how you have been treated by a mod. I see some threads here dominated by right wing posters, others by left wing ones. I dont believe one group has been treated worse than the other.

I dont think modding has lead to the decline of Boards. You just dont see many forums like boards being set up now, i just think the concept is no longer that popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Ive personally never seen a threadban that wasn't well deserved - including my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,853 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I dont think modding has lead to the decline of Boards. You just dont see many forums like boards being set up now, i just think the concept is no longer that popular.

There's been thread after thread talking about the impact users feel moderation has had on the site. Particularly since the move to Vanilla. And thread after thread we've had people saying simply that that isn't a problem. You go at least some way in explaining what is maybe the problem in alluding to declining interest in platforms such as this but too often I'm seeing here 'Modding is fine' and no suggestions as to what are the issues and how to fix them.

I think there's zero chance of a positive turnaround if a massive problem for a lot of people continues to be ignored. Aside from the individual interpretations of modding actions, what has the site done to tighten up, improve, communicate the process? Very little, if anything as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭myfreespirit

[Deleted]

Слава Україн– Glóir don Úcráin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would agree with how Mods enable other users to bully.

I despair when I see a mod in current affairs join a thread because it just turns the whole thing toxic.

It's no wonder posters think they can insult others when they see a mod do it.

Mod's are human. There's always going to be subjective interpretation of posts and rules.

How would you propose to overcome that reality?

I think the question has to be is modding getting worse or is just some posters perception it is getting worse. Mods will never be universally liked and there are some posters that keep getting kicked off threads so are perhaps not unbiased when it comes to certain mods.

There should be a way to bring up grievances against mods but i'm not sure how that could be designed to work for both the complainant and complainee.

It has gotten worse partly because there are so few of them. The removal of the cards system doesn't help either imo.

This in itself leads to the accusations of bias because there are so many instances of that mod to refer to. If the same 5 posts had been moderated by say 3 mods instead of 1, the sense of bias would probably be much less.

I would propose that Mods are held to the same standards as others.

If a Mod only comes on here to argue then they really aren't up to the job.

As its not a paid role its probably not easy to remove Mods even if they are not up to the job unfortunately.

There should be a way to report these sorts of issues but like if a referee misses something in a match i dont think that automatically points to a systemic issues with modding/refereeing. I dont think mods are infallible and so there should a system in place to challenge these decisions.

I dont think the decline in boards is due to modding though. I would hate to see Boards go the way of twitter/X and have nearly non existent moderation.

Just discussing a very recent one on the Enoch Burke thread. The banned poster was civil, they did not attack any other poster, they simply expressed an opinion in reply to a related question that they did not 'believe in the teaching or the ideology of transgenderism… specially in relation to school going children.. and that over 18s can do what they like'

Whether or not you or I or anyone else agrees with the sentiment above is not relevant. There is something seriously amiss on boards.ie when a moderator threadbans someone for expressing an opinion phrased in moderate language. The post was related to the subject of the thread Enoch Burke and his teaching work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That ban was unwarranted, but posts with opposing views are reported a lot.

Beasty acknowledged in another thread that reported posts are looked at, not the whole thread for context. You can see why a mod would action a post that has lots of reports rather than reading the thread to see what the context was.

The report function is being abused to silence dissenting opinions, that's as much as problem as the moderation, and it's easy to figure out who these serial reporters are too by all the invisible discussions on their profile. That carryon is trolling and should be dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

See that is the problem with assessing the bias of moderation. I would believe the ban is warranted because that thread was plagued with posters every few days inferring that Enoch's legal case was related to transgenderism and not him breaking a court order or other posters using the thread to make general arguments about transgenderism when there is already plenty of other threads related to that topic on Boards. The thread became a bit of a mess which i think lead to stricter moderation.

Posters have bias, and Mods have bias. That is why it is hard to assess whether the level of moderation is correct.

That is ridiculous and I hope it was successfully appealed.

I'm confident I can guess the mod, their are some threads that mods should be kept away from because they can't be neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How do you know why the poster was banned though? Unless they told you.

It could have been 'off topic posting ' or maybe just a culmination of a few different warnings? it doesn't look like something that deserves a threadban, but we are not aware of what actually happened.

Probably because the ideology of transgenderism is not the subject matter of the thread no?

Is it not the same reason why, for example, reference to ivermectin was banned from Covid threads?

I'm not saying either of these topics should never be discussed, but surely you can see how they could also deflect (massively) a specific thread from that which it was intended. I understand (and agree with) natural discussion evolution and touching on other topics, but there are also times when that has happened too often, too much or for too long and so it needs to be reigned in.

I suspect that this might have been what happened here. But it is a good example of when some bandwidth should be given in discussions and when it is time to reign it in again. And that is best done with moderation that knows the flow of the thread, not just someone dropping in reacting to a reported post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was discussed on the thread though, and some posters pointed out that it was a pity Enoch went for Burkery mode, rather than following the discipline procedure and challenging it correctly. It was also pointed out that the result of such a test case would have been interesting.

Yes, it was Enoch's behaviour that got him into this mess, but it all stems from his belief that transgenderism is an affront to his God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Mech1

I'm wondering if Enoch is a mod on here?

I doubt it since if he was, any old Anti-trans insults would be allowed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,178 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I presume this is the post you are referring to?

This is the warning in the OP.

Can you see why the poster might have got threadbanned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,663 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think that’s the biggest issue.

I attempted to engage via private message with two I cant remember if both moderators , or Admin and moderator on two separate issues and was completely fobbed off…. The posters I had issues with as of now today are repeating the same behaviours over several different forums and threads…having never been sanctioned / carded…

From the regs / charter on one forum :

1. The mods rely on help from posters to deal with issues in the forum. We encourage people to report posts (yes this one is in here twice).

Pointless reporting if nothing comes of it. I never bother reporting borderline or say maybe a one off OTT issue from a poster…. Might be having a bad day / week. It would want to be significant…or a serial repeat offender.

But, I’m at the point where I’m pretty much now in the frame of mind of not bothering reporting posts… no point in wasting my time….no point in me / us being asked for help in the charter when I’m not met half way so my positive experience here can be assured. it might get to the stage as is likely if the current trend continues….that I’ll just deem boards as no longer usable…. It’s getting close to being not worth the hassle if I’m being honest….

As I’ve said elsewhere ive been an admin on another music / arts / culture based discussion forum… like to think i did it when necessary…accurately, without favour, malice or vindictiveness….. and above all, evenhandedly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement