Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This is exactly my thinking.

We drove from marseille to la Baume last year and this year it was carcassonne to la sirene. I can't imagine enjoying the ferry/long drive route at all but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Been taking the ferry to France and beyond with a long time. Don't knock it right across the board for everyone.

I've a kid, now a teen, with a long term illness, needs various meds and equipment. Bringing it on a plane is a logistical nightmare where there needs to be a waiver signed, a weight taken of the equipment, letters from the consultant, being patted down by security, some security have huge issues with medication, needing sealed containers etc.

Going on the ferry eliminates all this. Everything. We also have a coeliac on board, which is fairly dire heading away as choices and foods not available in local shops, so having foods to keep us going for a few days is necessary.

Of course, I've found it is getting easier as kids get older, and a fly drive is definitely on the cards, but it's nice to have the option of bringing home some cava or a bottle of wine for the grannies etc.

Also, the prices of rentals, 7 seaters, with car seats is something you need to factor in too.

I don't find the ferry too relaxing as we're not into propping up the bar for the evening sailing and tbh there's not much else to do, but it is nice to have the ability to sit in your own car while waiting to get in/off the ship, rather than sitting in a lounge airside.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Agreed. The ones in La Garangeoire are awful. Les Menhirs is a lot better but Bonne Anse Plage was dire. 35min speed wash in an commercial washer and you can't even add detergent because it's self-dosing. At least the tumble dryers are good because, this is such an Irish thing to say, despite the sunshine and mid 20s temperatures, the drying was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

has anyone been to La Grande Metairie? Seems to be the one popping up when I search. It’ll be a first time holiday abroad with the kids, they’ll be 6 and 4 by July mext year! Around 10 of us going adults and kids!

I'll agree with absolutely everything here bar French shop opening times. Supermarkets are increasingly open on Sundays and particularly near resorts/campsites. When we first went to France in 2019, all the supermarkets were closed. Now they are all open but a lot close mid afternoon so it's best to get there before 10am and get the heck out of there before 11am when multi-generation families turn up and you literally can't move down the aisles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah it might have been afternoon when we swung by the Carrefour in Dol de Bretagne, both it and the Lidl were closed. Super U might have been open but we weren't bothered driving across town

We didn't need anything urgently but there was a Skoda with Irish plates behind us who looked like they just arrived from the port. It's something you'll want to factor in if you've a long journey, you'll need to do the shop a bit earlier

Also I'm loving how no-one has disagreed with my comment about the strikes 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭idontknowdoyou

We were there last year. Lots of Irish and not so many English (presuming that was because we went end of june) and mainly French. There is a soccer pitch and playground.

The site is extremely compact as in it feels every bit of space is utilised. The mobiles are on a teeny tiny site and very close together. Lovely long decking but no green space around mobiles. We enjoyed ourselves. Pool was super but i wouldn't go back .

We had washing machines in our siblu mobile. It was a godsend and was a factor in booking a siblu site for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Washing machines and dishwashers. Posh

We used the camp ones in La Baume last year but didn't bother in La Sirene this year. Towels dried overnight and we all had 2-3 swimsuits/shorts so didn't need washing.

• Advertisement

Which would you prefer? A washing machine or a dishwasher? We chose our mobile this year so knew we were getting a dishwasher. Every campsite has a wash room bit not every mobile has a washing machine 🤣

One of the families we went with had a washing machine which we "borrowed" but didn't have a dishwasher

The other family had neither. Ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I looked at it for a 3 week trip and the cost of hiring the car was prohibitive. We would have needed a big car and to rent car seats for all the kids as well. If your going for a week or ten days or have older kids then it might make sense alright or are happy packing light and going without things.

If going for longer factor in other aspects like you can bring bikes / scooters as they can be €40 / €50 a week to rent, we used our airfryer everyday and it saved a load of time, you can bring back a load of wine, your not telling the kids they cant get souvenirs you generally have more stuff that makes the trip easier. We brought a buggy also for the smallest and we needed it

Also kids love the ferry, its exciting and different and a road trip is more than just a journey, it can (sometimes!!) actually be nice family time spent together.

The flying could work for some people alright depending on your own situation but for us it would not have.

We had both! I know it's a silly thing to factor in but as mentioned the laundry facilities are usually a bit crap and with five of us there's lots of laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We were there last year for a few nights - it's a nice campsite but the pitches are small, no room for the kids to play football around it. The outdoor pool is lovely, but can be hard to get a lounger. Our kids loved the tree top climb/walk. The bar is quite dear in it, if I recall correctly. It's outside of Carnac so you'd need a car to get into town or to the beach & supermarket. We went to Les Menhirs instead this year, solely because of the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

perfect thanks for that. We’ll be booking over the next few weeks, so doing as much research as I can, before we choose where to go. 3 lots of parents will all need to agree, which will be the issue 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jeffm587

Have been going twice a year for almost 20 years and for us the Ferry far outweighs a Fly Drive option as we live 5 mins from Dublin Port and also bring our dog. We all love the ferry and consider it the start of the holiday . My eldest now fly's in and out for few days midweek and we can bring things in the car that she doesn't have to lug through the airport so that's another advantage for us . Over the years have done BF IF etc but always preferred Irish Ferries in fact my kids when younger preferred the old Oscar Wilde out of of Rosslare than the WB Yeats . But agree Irish Ferries seem to have a captive audience and the cost of this years summer crossing ( heading out this Fri 🙂 ) was painful ! The food option could be vastly improved particularly in the mid tier restaurant the value is shocking for what they are charging . Have always found majority of the staff reasonably pleasant and responsive and really enjoy Club Class lounge on WB Yeats . I guess it depends a lot on your personal circumstance budget , location , proximity of airports etc to which suits best. But I love the ferry

@Jeffm587 agree my kids refuse to fly as they love the ferry so much. We sailed with Brittany Ferries this year for the first and all agreed we will only sail with Irish Ferries in future, much better experience. It really is a great start to the holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I think that's another thing that puts me off. It's all OK saying the holiday starts on the ferry but then you've a few hours to drive afterwards presumably, it's impossible to relax while driving over there.

I don't mind it at all. I always have to remind myself how to use the roundabouts over there but driving generally over there is better than here, in my opinion. Less morons on the road glued to their phones.

• Advertisement

We always book club class on if and works out good value for money, we find it very relaxing, lots of quite comfy seating. BF was so so loud, couldn't escape the sound of the loud live music, there was a piano bar area but not much seating in that area, on hindsight I'd have packed extra layers and just sat out on the deck for as long as possible. Though I will say food much cheaper but quality fairly poor. Also suspected bed bug bites on BF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

Just an FYI. To people booking cars for fly drives. I booked my car Initially in Jan, I have cancelled the booking and rebooked 3 times since then. Initial price was 600 for 8 days from Bordeaux.

My last price was 250 for the same 8 days.

Just landed in La Rive after 2 days in Bordeaux city.

Our shed has a dishwasher, so happy, I hate washing dishes, everything goes in.

Had A list before I left which I mislaid. So forgot some of the following.

Defo need a proper knife you like to use to cut/chop. A J cloth. A t-towel. Your own swim towel. A lighter. Freezer block.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

My car hire this year was literally half the price of last year. I paid €330 with Europcar for a Ford Kuga this year for 10 days in mid July

We got a 7 seater last year for about €380, had a dacia duster this year for €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

you did well to that to get that price last year!, the best I could do in Nice was €750 for a Peugeot 5008 for 10 days,! I remember shopping around for months to get even that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭josip

This is again each to their own. I love driving over here, we've a 5 hour trip down to Nantes tomorrow for the football and I'm looking forward to the drive more than the match. When you're driving you get to see a country and all its nuances. Loads of things that you just can't see from 10,000m. I appreciate that it's not for everyone for many good reasons, but there are some of us weird enough to enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭suilegorma

Here are some things that I have found useful to bring or have over there that just make life run a bit smoother! We tend to cook at home mostly as we have v hard to feed kids and also just it is nicer when we have more time to cook/kids are at an age they can cook themselves. Eating out a couple of times lets us sample the local cuisine and then we pick up plenty of local food to eat at our cabin as well.

Office clippy things for closing food bags (use them at home, way better than the plasticy ones), ziplocks, tupperware for storing leftovers/batch cooks for kids. Esp handy if moving location and still have supplies.

Kitchen bits that are not always in cabins and that we would use on hols (tea towels, sharp knife, decent veg peeler, small cheese grater, whisk, compact weighing scales, small measuring cup)

Couple of things from larder that can be expensive/hard to get there - curry powder, gravy granules, tortilla wraps, baked beans, microwave popcorn (again, all for kids, adults are trying the local food!)

We bought a plancha grill this year and have used it loads…buy an extension cord when you buy it as advised in another post. Not every cabin has a BBQ and the plancha is super easy to clean.

Multiplug Irish extension cord so you use one adaptor - there are never enough plugs anywhere!

Own towels and linens, kids room feels like their own a bit and saves on hire - bring hand towels too, forgot that this year! Nice big bath sheets v the ones you hire too.

Own suncream, toiletries and washing powder for sensitive skin kid - buy things like mossie repellant there

Things I should have brought - a couple of folding boxes for storage as everything is in bags and a bit annoying to access, a couple of individual portion glass dishes for oven meals for kids (we use them all the time at home)

We don't have an airfryer at home but I will look into it for next year…we struggled to feed one of our kids who likes a lot of oven cooked foods and we didn't always have one

Own pillows if we have space. Had a couple of awful ones this year.

Then for the ferry - kettle for cabin, tea, coffee, cool bag full of food (microwave meals, pot noodles etc), frozen water and milk, mini cereals, meats and cheeses, couple of salads, drinks and snacks.

A few years into these trips and we finally invested in a hitch bike carrier this year. Up until now we had a really awkward to use 3 bike one and used to put smallest bike on roof rack…so much better and it was def worth the money for us as we use it for camping in Ireland too and might bring bikes on weekend trips a bit more.

What we bring back!

Wine, Bonne Maman jam, sirops, our favourite snacks, bags of tiny pasta one of my kids love, they have a large variety, Oasis drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Siblu are great, used to go to their sites before we stop going to France. Might not always get the washing machine but their sites are very good. We went to Bella Italia this year, when it comes to site maintenance, pool slides and entertainment, siblu are miles ahead.

Italians will go out of their way to help you and way more nice to you than the french though. Small things

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jrbeire

Just to add some thoughts that others might find interesting:

1. Re car hire: I use autoeurope.ie or arguscarhire.com - both allow free cancellation within 48 hours of pick-up. I've cancelled multiple bookings using this functionality to swap onto a cheaper rate about one week out (e.g., this year I saved €130 on the same car class by changing 5 days before pick-up - original booking was made Oct '23).
    2. Take out your own car hire excess cover insurance - never sign up at the car hire desk (generally 5-10x the price per day). An annual policy with AIG cost me €50. Have never needed to use it - but does give me valuable peace of mind (especially when parking next to battered elderly Citroens, Peugeots, Renaults in very tight car parks)
    3. Stayed in the Vendee one year - won't ever again. Spent most of the time thinking I should just have stayed in Rosslare/ Tramore/ Bettystown, etc.. Each to their own - if flat beaches are your thing, then I'm sure it's great.
    4. Best campsites I have experienced are in no particular order (my notes are based on my experience while there - things do change):
      1. Domaine les Ranchisses in the Ardeche: great on-site facilities, superb evening entertainment, wide range of accommodation. Only downside that it's a 3 min drive or 5 min - downhill (10 min - uphill cycle) to the nearest small town
      2. Les 3 Vallees in Argeles-Gazost: great on-site facilities, good evening entertainment, wide range of accommodation, short walk into Argeles-Gazost which is a nice small market town, brilliant hiking within short drives in the Pyrenees
      3. L'etoile des Neiges in St Jean Montclar (Southern Alps): quiet, small campsite, limited facilities within walking distance - but if you like the outdoors…. hiking, mountain biking, paragliding, kayaking, via ferrata, canyoning, all within touching distance
      4. La Pointe St Gilles in Benodet (Brittany): quiet, medium sized, easy drive from Roscoff, so many small towns, quiet beaches, within the area
    5. When you decide to try something other than a campsite - gites.fr is a good government controlled website to search for and find a decent gite. You can filter by swimming pool etc to narrow dow the search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Yep, we did around 10 days on that site last year.

It's nice, for sure. Lots of trees, feels spacious, decent amount for the kids to do. Lovely walks around the area which was the biggest selling point for us.

The biggest downside was the cabin and its location. Can be luck of the draw. We were positioned with our tiny decking looking straight into 1 persons kitchen and 1 persons living room. Zero sun coming in for large parts of the day. I think we have a 3 bed comfort.

Shout if there's anything specific you want to know

Advertisement