Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should we tip?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Yep the software was Toast. Even the terminology of "check" on there is very US.

Thankfully it was optional and we weren't chased down the road for not tipping 22 bloody percent. I'd love to know how many people feel like they need to tip that amount, for grand service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I don't tip. I go to a restaurant, the staff are being paid for the job they do. If they feel they are underpaid, they can leave

I do my job which deals with the public. I get paid and don't even get a box of chocolates at Christmas. I've no problem with that.

It's dear enough going out for a meal without giving someone who is already being paid more in a tip than I earn in an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

CC companies and payment providers take a percentage of the transaction amount in processing fees. When you tip staff using a card, you’re also tipping Elavon/Visa/Mastercard. Which is fine - they provide a service and it’s convenient for the customer. But staff get more out of a cash tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rowantree18

Daughter's bf currently working in a popular restaurant, north inner city Dublin. Tips are pooled and allegedly divided among staff at end of month, in cash. At end of July he got about 270e. He said that on the Saturday before the divvying up of the tips, he generated at least 300e in tips in one shift alone, by himself. Owners are definitely scamming the staff and pocketing some of it.

I hate the system, imported from the US. Pay decent wages, no tips. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The wages in resturants in Ireland are decent now. Yes most are on the minimum wage but the MW is 12.7/ hour for most workers now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That is sketchy. I worked in various restaurants/pubs/hotels and it's always weekly. Doing it monthly is nonsense, there's no way it could be divided up fairly. Dividing up tips can also cause issues with staff. Why should the lazy rude fucker who generates no tips due to poor attitude get the same as the friendly, efficiant worker who generates loads? Should the chefs get tips? That's why people prefer cash because thay can hand it to the person serving their table so they can put into their own pocket. I hated dealing with tips when I was a manager I used to designate that job to the most senior staff member who did it nightly.

Thankfully with our minimum wage we'll never have the ridiculous US lineup of staff at a restaurant, who all need ro be tipped. Hostess, server, bus boy, pot wash, kitchen staff.

Chefs deserve the best tip of anyone in a restaurant, they are the talented ones making your food. Somebody carrying a plate from A to B is hardly more deserving of a tip.

It's a very silly system we have imported from the US, for no real reason when we have minimum wage laws. The audacity of suggesting tips as high as 22% will shoot them in the foot as it will annoy diners who already feel they are paying for overpriced food and drinks.

I don't want to name names, so let's just say it was somewhere between six hundred and sixty six, and eight hundred and eighty eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Exactly, the business deduct bank processing fees and 23% vat from the electronic tips and the balance is paid to staff through payroll. A €10 tip becomes €7.70 before card fees, then payroll taxes are applied. It's easy to see why staff prefer cash.

Also easy to see why the legislation was passed, Revenue wanted their %. I could be wrong but imo, very few workers getting a few tips in cash were keeping a record of it and making a tax return. So, the change was brought in to 'protect' staff from some unscrupulous employers 😂😂. Thousands of businesses all over the country, who never had a problem with employees getting tips from happy customers, now have extra paperwork and admin, disgruntled staff and irritated customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

All of the kitchen staff are tipped in the US, and in a lot of places here too. Wait staff are expected to share a portion of their tips amongst the kitchen staff, with the chefs getting the highest proportion and it decreasing down the lines to the kitchen porters. It's called tipping out and it's extremely common practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think you miss understood my point. I pointed out that a lot of drinking has moved from pubs to home because of cost.

I suspect that the resturant/pub grub sector to follow because of the costs involved. Portions are getting smaller and meals more expensive. Traditionally if you went out for a Sunday lunch you could be guaranteed that you probably would have enough in a main course.

I was out again for lunch today and again one of the proportions was skimpy it was there roast option. I see that more and more. Total bill for two MC was 43.50. 3 years ago that would have being about 30 euro and the portions more substantial

Resturants and pubs are pricing themselves out of business. MC are now structured to catch you to buy a starter or desert along with the MC. The food service industry is complaining about there costs, but consumers have only so much to spend.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If you can afford to tip or you want to tip then by all means tip. I tip sporadically these days. If someone went above and beyond I might leave a fiver on he table after I’ve eaten. I don’t work out percentages like they do in America.

I’ve read this thread from start to finish and am still strongly of the view that I do not want to see tipping become an expected part of eating out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What does going above and beyond really mean though?

I worked in resturants and the job difficult. The main factor that leads to mistakes is time pressure from an unexpectedly high number of tables, or management not putting enough staff on shift fir whatever reason.

So what do you consider service that deserves a tip?

Absolutely agree with this. If you get a great meal that is down to the chef and not the waiter.

If you’re telling someone you ate in a particular establishment and they ask you how was it. They are not asking we’re the waiting staff pleasant and attentive they generally want to know if the food was nice. If the food is poor then you are likely not going to go back in a hurry. If I meet a cranky waiter I might just think they are having a bad day but it wouldn’t put me off going back to a place with great food.

It can vary, I can just be in a good mood and gell with a waiter, sometimes when I know they are a student I will tip, maybe they did something that I found to be particularly nice of helpful. I don’t have strict criteria. I just go with my gut. It’s not a science and I don’t ever feel obliged to tip. There have been times when I have been out of the restaurant and I remembered something and though I should have tipped that waiter, there are times I thought why did I tip them.

Ok. Fair enough.

Having been on both sides of the kitchen door, I really don't think the general public are a good judge of what went into them having a good time at a resturant.

A lot of it is just the general vibe like the quality of the food whether they like the menu the chef put together, the ambiance, the company they're with and whether they're celebrating or just staying overnight for work, all of which are totally outside the waiters control.

Good service is also pretty wooly. If you need to eat quickly, speed = good. And that can depend on how busy the kitchen is. If you want an attentive server to suck up to you and be your friend, then the time they have to do it will depend on the rota and how many tables they have to serve.

So customers do some kind of subconscious calculation and sum up the experience and express it by either tipping the waiter or not. In other words, whether it's a good experience for the customer, it's probably outside the waiter's control

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Just because someone works in a difficult job doesn't mean they deserve an automatic tip. Cleaning bins and streets is a difficult job, but none of those people get tips. Someone simply doing their basic job in a restaurant of bringing the customer their food and then their bill doesn't deserve anything extra. It's the very least that a customer should expect and that's the current standard of waiting tables in many places I've been in in this country. Your food gets plonked down and then the bill arrives when you ask for it. A tip should only be given if the customer has been taken care of beyond the basics of what is expected because the customer is already paying for the basics.

And American tipping "culture" (so called) needs to be fought against over this side of the pond because all it'll do is allow employers to skimp on paying their staff a decent wage and it's transfer that onto the punter.

Employers should pay their bloody staff.

I mostly agree. I'm not cross about the standard of service in most places. It's usually fine and the job gets done.

But I'm still not sure what people mean when they say going above and beyond the normal level of service. What does that usually look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

How exactly does a waiter go above and beyond their defined role? All waiters are employed to be friendly, helpful, speedy etc. It seems to me that people generally tip for what is expected in the role.

• Advertisement

Well, I'll repeat what I just said. Tipping should only occur when the waiting staff has done more than just the basics of the job they chose to take on, because the punter is already paying for that. And sure, it can be hard to quantify, but you know it when it occurs.

Now that could be making extra efforts to see to the customer's needs, whatever that might be. Or just engaging in banter and making the customer feel that they're in a place that values their custom. But just bringing someone their food and a drop of wine and then the bill is not something that deserves a tip of any amount because that's already factored into the bill that the customer is handing over money for.

I agree. Being friendly and cordial should be part of the job. But it can be extended in a manner that makes the customer feel better, for want of a better word. Perhaps the waiting staff can be helpful with regards to the food being ordered too. As I said, it can hard to quantify, but you do know it when it occurs. There's a place we go regularly. It's nothing fancy or anything, but the staff are great and we always leave a tip even though their prices have gone up considerably in the last couple of years, as has everywhere else.

But I'll be honest here, I think this tipping malarkey should be eliminated altogether. For everything. Why do fuck do we tip taxi drivers for instance, simply for driving you from A to B? Or why do people tip hairdressers? Perhaps if people want to tip, for whatever reason, it should be limited to just rounding up, like leaving a little bit to make a €19.30 a €20.

But this nonsense of an extra 20% (as expected in the States) on top of the bill you're already paying can go shag itself. That's madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Packrat

Leaving aside restaurants for a moment, let me tell you about the industry I work in where tips are the ONLY reason to do the job.

I'm a driver-guide, one of the people in the shiny cars vans and small Merc buses you see outside all the 5* hotels.

We guide small groups of 99% US visitors around this country every day. Some are self employed but most of us work for companies.

We spend about 120 nights a year away from home with basic subsistence covered. We are virtually all Irish born mostly male and 40 plus with a previous career and life experience which is a basic prerequisite for the job. Many of us have multiple qualifications in terms of guide badges which cost thousands for the course, college degrees in history, archeology, literature, food or other related fields. Our various driving/limo licenses cost thousands to attain and significant money to keep active. We have to have a particular personality who likes to learn, to teach, and to chat, and of a sophistication level to be engaging to seasoned or jaded travellers who have been everywhere and seen it all in diverse continents with the best guides in the world. We have to know how to dress ourselves sharply, stylishly, and to maintain those expensive suits/casuals at our own expense.

We also have to be humble enough to pick up rubbish, hair, chewing gum, nail clippings, used tissues, to clean vomit off carpets and the doors of cars. At the end of every day we have to wash shammy and hover the car van or bus.

Some of the places we sleep ourselves are disgusting, and there was a period when broke as a joke back around 2013 a few of us slept in the buses.

For all this we get paid less than couriers. Minimum wage if we worked 8 hours but usually we work 10 or 12. No overtime, No holiday pay (in many cases) no job security as it's seasonal, we work sometimes 30 days on the trot because it's seasonal. Our wives threaten to leave us and our kids don't cry anymore when we go out the door. We are winter people who exist to live during Irelands winter, and we buy expensive winter sun holidays for our families in an effort to make up for not being there from March to Nov.

We eat fast food, take no exercise, miss every GAA match, get fat, eat out until we crave a boiled egg, - the highlight of our week is repetitive shyte talk with other drivers we meet weekly in Killarney or Dublin Airport or Cong.

Tips are the sole reason we do this and to get them we have to be amazing every single day.

The tips are sometimes 100 a week and sometimes if you're very good, 1500. We are always chasing the 'big one'

We're hustlers, showmen, actors, fixers.

My wages for 7 or 8 months of this hell are about 25k.

It's the best job in the world, and the worst, the most destructive, it's fun and it's boring, annoying, exhilarating, awful.

The guests are mostly lovely, interesting, respectful, but sometimes rude, cheap, or condescending.

We have no power or agency in the result of this effort.

To pay someone of our knowledge level properly without tips would be at least 60 to 70k for 6 or 7 months. The market can't sustain that. It won't sustain that, and if tipping were to be banned, we'd cease to exist and foreign born drivers (or driverless vehicles) could take them around with an audio-guide of a long dead Irishman with a 'funny accent' who could tell them about what they're looking at providing the GPS had them in the right place for that pre-recorded segment. I wonder if he'd be able to find a bathroom anywhere on this island in 10 minutes though.

So tell me again about tips, - those of you who earn 3 to 5 times what I do, work about half the hours, and know little or nothing about your own country.

I double dare you....

Post edited by Packrat on

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

You seem quite frustrated Pakrat with the line of work you are in. There are many roles where people aren’t paid that well for a tough job. Childcare is another one.

I don’t agree with banning tipping, I’m not sure it would even be possible in the private sector anyway, it isn’t allowed in the public sector as far as I know.

If people choose to tip you then great, but I wouldn’t want a situation where people expect a tip either. It should always be optional without repercussions.

As I said, it's great and awful - like many jobs, but the level of knowledge required (to be brilliant at it) is astronomicaland endless. It can't be paid for in wages.

I agree about childcare, - although I give the bigger portion of my weekly tips to a child minder.

Ultimately there aren't many other openings for people with the particular skillset to make a years basic money in 7 months.

In truth, many of the people at this are retired on a pension or have some other income. Few of us support a family out of it.

Not complaining, just fighting back against people who have a guaranteed and often comfortable wage railing against tipping.

I find that those most against nixers and tips are high earning PS workers.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

Time to find another line of work? With the education and experience you have, you'll probably find some more steady and closer to home.

What? All of us who do this? Leave en-masse?

The thread is about tipping.

I gave an example of a job where it's crucial - to counteract the many comments of 'workers in Ireland are paid properly' made by people bitter over cash tops.

That's all.

Also - if there was something which paid (on aggregate) as much with the same skillset, closer to home I'd already be doing it. Tourist offices pay about €300 a week with guaranteed 3 months work a year...

The more I read on this thread the more against tipping I find myself becoming. I too am in a job where I never get tips and wouldn’t be allowed accept them anyway. I have my own depts and costs to deal with. When I go out for a meal I pay what the charge is for the food and drinks. Someone carry’s the food to my table, as is in their job description. Why would they deserve a tip for that. So far on this thread nobody has convinced me why I should have to supplement their wages.

People's push back against tipping isn't about being "bitter". The company a person works for should pay their staff a decent wage. It shouldn't be expected for the punter to hand over an extra charge out of their pocket to augment shit wages being paid out by a stingy company…

…especially to the tune of 20 fucking percent extra.

And if you're in a job were a reliance on tips is "crucial", then yes, it's time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Worked in McD's a number of years back and no one would ever even consider tipping any staff who work there despite often dropping food down to the table, cleaning up after majority of customers along with the 100 other jobs that you've to do working in a fast food place for min wage.

My brother worked in Milanos and would often get €5/10 per table for literally dropping two pizzas to them and bringing a card machine for them to pay.

I don't consider myself tight or mean but when I'm spending nearly 30 quid for a main course and a pint I don't think I should be paying an extra fiver for someone to drop it to the table.

Advertisement