Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Sorry what exactly do you want to happen in cases where mods don't agree with your complaint/report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,663 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you could say the same about say referees. All human but there are rules they must apply, evenhandedly, fairly and accurately. A referee usually has one look at a tackle, a split second decision….

A mod can read say a reported comment, subsequent replies, or preceding ones sit back for a minute in time…

“ ok, well the reported comment according to the charter I feel is worthy of a yellow, poster #2 shouldn’t have reacted though however they have reacted but to another poster #1’s comment which was absolutely designed to be provocative, it was also uncivil and in breach of the charter… yellow there too, for them both. “

not saying that hasn’t happened, it has but a whole lot more of looking at the context would be welcome, there are a few professional wind up merchants probing for reactions now and it’s beyond obvious to most regular posters who these are…. The poster reacting gets the sanction quite often…. But the originator of the conflict, often from this core group of about 4/5 posters can skip on without sanction…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,853 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

it has but a whole lot more of looking at the context would be welcome

That's what I've been saying on this thread and the previous one. Too much moderation is nothing but reacting to reported posts I feel.

In the last thread I tried to advocate for a much less moderation involved corner of Boards. People would have to request access and it would be all but be effectively invisible to most users (as the soccer forum is). Still moderation, but for outright abuses of the rules rather than subjective interpretations of them, but that idea wasn't entertained at all really and so be it, I can see problems with it as well.

There are events happening in society today in which the participants and the supporters of these events need to be challenged directly in my view. This past week showed that we are now in a place where some of these events cannot be discussed because the moderation does not exist on this site to facilitate the type of conversations the site would be happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

But i just for curiosity had a browse of the last few pages and the word transgender has been mentioned several times.

A poster got banned on that page, so I am sure these discussions were ignored by the mod.

I can only draw the conclusion that discussing it brings a ban when it doesn't line up with the beliefs of the mod.

Also while not being a regular on the thread, I thought his refusal to use the pronouns of a transgender child was what led him to his actions, if so then why would that be off topic.

This mod notes on first page, well into a thread is a bit ridiculous, like anecdotes on immigration threads.

One of the things good about the site is it bringing you back to just your unread posts when you click into a thread, the site is hard enough to navigate despite forcing people to need to go to the first page to read a mod note once you have posted in the thread and then try find where you were.

It is ridiculous that a mod decides mid thread they want to stop people discussing something that has been a discussion point for whatever reason, if a poster misses the mod warning and is banned then it is ridiculous.

Did the mod even give a reason why it can't be discussed, other then they decided on a whim what can be discussed about the case, from what I see it is relevant to the situation.

I would be interested to know are decisions like this discussed at a mod level, or are mods allowed to go ahead and shut down discussions they personally don't like being discussed.

My guess is it comes down mostly to reported posts.

Someone reports a post with a comment that such discussion was banned, mod acts.

I sympathize with the few overworked mods left, I'm very annoyed with Boards doing so little to act on this since the changeover.

• Advertisement

I have reported the posts in the discussion that got that poster banned, an easy way to confirm your guess.

I have seen it discussed before how hard it is to get someone appointed as a mod especially in current affairs, their should be a handful more mods added to such a busy forum, but nothing has happened in years.

I would be surprised they haven't been able to get anyone willing to do it in years unless they make it difficult to appoint a new one.

Mods are probably not actively posting on every thread so the only way get to act on those that ignore mod warnings is to react to reported posts. Even in those situations they probably only scan the nearest posts to see if anyone else has broken the rules too. It would be easier if the mod warning was on the top of every page of the thread because as was said here already no one regularly goes to the first page to see mod warnings.

In the Enoch thread example though I think the Mod acted appropriately just enforced the mod warning so I think there cant be much of a complaint on the poster banned.

I would hate to be a mod though, perhaps the only way is to start paying them, even a small amount.

Paying is not an option. A - The money isn't there and B - the vitriol and demands on them would increase 100 fold if people thought they were getting paid.

It can never be perfect, as with refereeing, there will always be some accusations and complaints, but having more mods active in reading discussions, or at least familiar with the flow of a the thread would help.

I think the Yellow/Red cards helped significantly back in the day. We were told that they are no longer possible with Vanilla, but maybe mods could paste a standard image of a red or yellow card in to a post to indicate it was actioned (which they may be doing anyway) would provide the visual guide that moderation is happening.

Having the MOD waring at the top of the page may work, but also could be frustrating to see over and over again. At least it's an idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I don't want to turn this thread into a thread about Enoch Burke. But to address this:

I can only draw the conclusion that discussing it brings a ban when it doesn't line up with the beliefs of the mod.

You're drawing a completely wrong conclusion.

This is absolutely not the case in this thread. It's been made clear from the beginning that the thread was to discuss the ongoing dispute between Enoch Burke and his employer, which was caused by his behaviour towards the Principal at a public event, and has nothing to do with use of pronouns, or any transgender issues (even if EB thinks so). A fact which 3 high court judges have confirmed, and has also been repeated many times during the thread.

The mod instruction (also repeated many times) in this case, is to keep the thread from veering off into just another thread on trans issues, of which there are many already on the forum for anyone who wishes to discuss them.

Anyone who wanders into that thread and persists in trying to make it about pronouns and trans issues, is inviting a threadban given the many, many clear warnings that have been given not to.

Like I said I don't really read the thread at all.

Considering Hamsterchop got banned for replying to a post where someone brought up transgender, then we can expect bans for the people who initiated the conversation.

That will put to bed any doubt on if the ban was for posting about it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And you have well described the issue also raised by Strumms above, that all too frequently there are posters promoting a certain view and using certain language. When someone replies to them, also using same language but from a counter argument point of view, it's the latter who get banned whilst the others, the instigators sail merrily along.

That basic inconsistency, bias, incompetence, lack of even handedness .. whatever, is what is undermining fair comment and losing posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Do you understand that if you post about transgenderism in the Burke thread, you are not following mod instructions and will be thread banned?

I'd say that is an example of where context needs to be considered, not only reports.

Maybe you should read the first sentence in the post above and reflect on your advice?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122473049/#Comment_122473049

This sentence?

And you have well described the issue also raised by Strumms above, that all too frequently there are posters promoting a certain view and using certain language. When someone replies to them, also using same language but from a counter argument point of view, it's the latter who get banned whilst the others, the instigators sail merrily along.

It bears no relevance whatsoever. The only sentence of importance is from the OP on the Burke thread.

Mod warning:

It has already been stated numerous times in this thread butysome posters seemingly cannot resist trying to make this thread about transgenderism. It is about Burke, his behaviour and the consequences of that behaviour. Stick to the topic or expect to be threadbanned

I'll be honest, I don't get your issue with this simple instruction. Theres a very simple mod instruction in the OP and if you don't follow it, you get banned.

Is there not another transgender thread you can take your issues with transgenderism to?

I think this is a fair statement, the poster mentioning Transgenderism in their question should be have been penalised too. Perhaps they were both warned for this conversation but, in this example, Hamsterchop had already built up a few prior warnings so was banned. The poster does seem to focus a lot on the issue so it would not surprise me if it was the case.

Someone brought up the topic and someone responded.

Both are in breach of the mod instruction, so what do you mean.

^^ That is very black and white.

Without addressing the Hamsterchop's posts specifically (as I don't want to be dragged into that, or accused of backseat modding).. context is important.

If I said "Enoch Burke's case is not related to trans issues" and someone replied "But I think it is, because…." and then started giving all their reasons why they think the case is about trans issues - despite a clear mod instruction not to - do you think I should also be threadbanned in that instance?

(If so, I think just about everyone on the thread would be threadbanned by now!)

If you said it out of the blue, and not in reply to someone, yes, you should be thread banned. Your example is obviously trying to wind the the anti-trans crowd up.

It used to be called flame baiting and was banned on boards. I don't believe flame baiting is against the rules anymore as it (sadly) generates traffic.

I get you….

It seems to happen a lot on that particular thread. Every couple of pages someone (new, or not so new) will show up and start posting "This is about him refusing to use pronouns!" which will trigger a few responses about why it's not, and the cycle begins again.

Some are very obviously "flame-baiting" as you describe. (I've never heard that term before).

Maybe the issue of obvious "flame-baiting" needs to be raised with the Admins/Mods again.

• Advertisement

Boards was once a lovely place, where people would meet up IRL, form drama clubs, start soccer teams and cycling teams and a big part of that was the very simple, "Don't be a dick" rule.

People also subscribed (I think it was €50 per year) there was no real benefits, but it kept the hamster wheel turning.

I think the main reason why "Don't be a dick" worked was because flame baiting was banned. If you intentionally posted just to wind people up or get a negative reaction, you were warned, then banned. Boards and the mod team were constantly slagged in other fora for being heavy handed, but tbh, I didn't give a sh*t. It was fun, and a lot of good came out of it. (I ran a few things for the Santa Strike Force, back in the day for example)

I really don't like the present model of boards, but life moves on and so does the internet. I post here mainly out of habit and will probably post until the site dies.

To touch on one angle of this. The E50 subscription fee. Not once do I ever recall receiving an email asking me to take up that opportunity. I can get emails every time someone mentions me, or posts in a thread I started or similar, but I've never seen that email communication pathway used to engage with uses from the Boards management or strategic side.

I feel that could be used to help generate a community spirit by sending emails linking hot conversations or suggesting forums or threads that you may be interested in and also then to tease towards contributions or funding.

In the US, NPR has funding drives where over a week or something they speak on every show about the services they provide and encourage people to support them. Boards could maybe do that 2 times a year or something where over a weekend they particularly promote active participation and similarly have a gofundme or something happening.

I've never seen any initiative in this respect from the site. Not that I recall seeing and Ive been here for 10 yrs now.

It's important to speak in generalities and not specifics. But the example above is a good general example of a situation where other posters are using certain language, someone replies likewise and finds themselves banned. If there was any logic, all who participated in that angle would be banned but as Loueze writes above, practically everyone would be banned after a short while in that case. So there is no logic and the reality is that a poster must carefully consider, before they hit any post button, if what they've written aligns with moderator views on the thread. That is surely highly undesirable.

I do like the idea of a yearly fee for current affairs and possibly after hours.

It would be a deterrent to reregs and probably reduce people who are here to troll.

Not sure how feasible it would be, and it might reduce the numbers, so probably not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This .

With everything going on like it is at this present time on other social media forums , public rows , poor moderation , and those are paid to do the job , how long can Boards keep going with a few over worked and very under resourced Volunteer mods ? Before something serious like a death threat goes unnoticed for example ?

It is too much on too few and the Boards.ie community should be less critical and more supportive of the mods that are here .

That would mean regular posters reporting breaches more and not just scrolling by .

And less mod bashing would be a start .( Not saying you , just in general )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

CA should be more accessible to the “types” prone to re-regging, and trolling. The forum provides a great “function” for the site, for the most part. It protects, more, normal forums like AH from truly odious opinions.

It doesn’t always work due to thread, and forum, bans in CA driving weird users to AH to dump whatever spite they can before they get “caught out” in there too.

A light touch moderation in CA would be a good start. Let the “types” who frequent that forum go at it. Let’s face it, there is a politics forum where grownups discuss current affairs in a, somewhat, civilised manner. CA is, mostly, where, angry, oddballs get to vent and are challenged by a few brave, compassionate, souls fighting the good fight.

Would go a way to freeing up the mods time so they could “focus” on parts of the site where normal users post.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It is too much on too few and the Boards.ie community should be less critical and more supportive of the mods that are here .

I am critical of Boards for having let this situation develop to where we are at today.

I feel I have seen no meaningful efforts to resolve these issues from the site over what is now 3 years and its very frustrating.

It's all well and good to say we should be less critical but let me liken it to say a restaurant with 100 tables and only 2 waiters. Guests are going to become frustrated with those 2 staff and a lot of their actions (or lack of them) will be the source of that frustration. But the problem is with the restaurant not having enough people in place and there's only so long you can say don't blame the waiters there before peoples valid frustrations will focus on them.

4 months ago they told us they'd read the responses, and would consider and update on that thread. Zero comment added since then. This thread is active a couple of weeks, there's been close to zero meaningful contribution from active mods.

As far as I am aware boards is liable for content on the site, their are I believe two mods who cover current affairs, it is ridiculous to say their should be light touch moderation.

I have seen you post many times about keeping people out of AH like you are some sort of owner, if you want weirdos out then report their posts.

I am assuming you don't read current affairs considering you don't want those type of posters in your AH, so you are talking a load of nonsense, the vast majority are normal people who are discussing current affairs in the country.

Your suggesting of turning it into something toxic like Twitter and where boards will be liable for content that should not be on the forum makes little sense.

Their have been some very good ideas put forward to make it better, your proposing making it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The idea that CA function as some kind of containment area for c*ntish posters is just silly.

It is the main place on the whole site for the discussion of current affairs. If not there, where else should we discuss them?

CA needs more mods, who are more active, and it needs to update the warning/ban/discipline process and speed it up so that pain-in-the-hole posters are gotten rid of much more quickly.

Especially, bad faith posting is a cancer on the quality of discussion in CA. There are any number of posters who have no intention of genuinely engaging with anything, never reply to sincere responses to their posts, and they get away with it for thousands and thousands of posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

I think it's noteworthy that the great example of mod bias brought to this discussion - turned out to be a poster specifically ignoring a mod direction which is a breach of forum rules.

Sort of holes the whole mod bias argument under the waterline.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement