Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Site/thread is being f*cky. Newest page wasn't loading for whatever reason. Seems to be fixed now (or rather, for now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

They're not. Threads borked. Might need to close this one and start a new. It works sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

What has Uganda to do with American politics?

Edit: I see Flaneur got there before me.

Vance held a small rally in front of a sign saying "KAMALA CHAOS".

Then they had the great idea of having people stand in front of the sign as he talked.

Trump's campaign team once again only hiring the best people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Is it not fair to say that many of the posters waxing lyrical about Harris and Walz were waxing lyric about the wonders of Biden and fully supported his bid to stay in power until 2029, right up to the point where he was removed from the race by the doyens of the Democratic Party.

Why should anyone take your endorsement of Biden’s replacement seriously when you would have happily supported a clearly incompetent Biden were he still running.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Rawr

In his own wierd way, he is campaigning for Harris. He just has to keep being on the ticket and talking…and he's helping her. Comparing Walz to him is also helper her. So, this stupid sign planning seems somewhat fitting really. "Vance for Harris" should be a new PAC :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,630 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How much more 'load' do want to put on those loaded questions?
    And hide behind the "just asking questions" shtick?

I don't recall posters "waxing lyrical" (your phrase). So no that's not a fair thing to say.

I recall posters saying a Biden administration, or similar Democratic administration, to be much preferred over that of the election stealing, rapist, fascist, racist felon Trump. That an aging Biden was still the only grown up in such a contest, and could be trusted to have a capable administration. Unlike Trump, who was happy to jeer on a crowd threatening to hang his VP, and who is down to a handful of people from his first administration who will still endorse him.

And note those are all fair to say comments about Trump, well supported by evidence already produced on this thread and forum, which you claim to be familiar with.
    Nor is it whataboutery. It is about establishing standards.

Who do you endorse for President and why? I ask because you seem to have taken an interest in such endorsements, so it is an entirely reasonable question to ask, to establish standards.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,549 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You're leaving out crucial context - whoever the Democrats put forward, they are running against an incompetent, incoherent, moronic sex pest. They could put forward almost anyone and they would be the better option.

It's quite simple really.

Firstly, nobody was denying Biden's age was definitely a factor, he was a good bit slower and a worse orator than he was four years ago, and even then most of us would have preferred a different candidate four years ago. But people supported Biden in 2020 because he was a better candidate than Trump. Same goes for 2024. Nobody was denying age being a huge factor and would have preferred if Biden hadn't chosen to run at all again, but still would have supported him because he is a better candidate than Trump. Because despite Biden's age, he has not been deemed to have any actual medical or cognitive dehabilitation which would have meant he shouldn't be President. He's gotten shocking old, no doubt about it. But "clearly incompetent"? No.

Secondly, if Biden won and during his second term he did start to become impaired to the point of not being able to continue as President, people would have more faith in Harris and the entire Biden administration to see out the rest of his term, as there are existing rules and means for Biden to have either stepped aside, or been forced to if required (the 25th Amendment).

Thirdly, the opposition is Trump, and people are far more cognisant of the dangers posed by Trump returning to office. So even if they had to Weekend At Bernie's Biden around on the campaign trail, still a better option than Trump.

All people have to point to with Biden is he was slower talking, moving, stumbled over his words and trailed off on sentences. Signs of getting much older, naturally. That neither constitutes "clearly incompetent" or any kind of significant cognitive impairment which should have disqualified him from a second term. The reason the Dems convinced him to step aside was because it risked him getting a second term at all and was looking more and more likely to hand the Presidency to Trump.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Like who?

The general sentiment was that Biden was too old. I didn't find many posters who didn't agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭McFly85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Firstly, I'd choose Biden any day over Trump. He's a decent person and had a good first term. Secondly, his debate performance made me inclined to favour him not doing a second term. So I absolutely do think Harris is the right choice, particularly given the level of support she's managed to garner.

I'd say the recognition of another candidate being more appropriate is a hell of a lot more sensible than those who would be outraged if Trump had to step down from his run. Most sensible people wouldn't back a rapist and felon. Bit of a piece **** to want in office of president.

I was very much supporting "the administration". Biden could have spent his time over the next 4 years golfing, like the guy before him, and it wouldn't really have mattered. The team behind Biden has been pretty good, and a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

I have friends in the states, and they were rather blasé about this election cycle. They would have voted blue to keep Trump out. However, they are now invigorated and a few of them have volunteered for the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

His communication skills had fallen off a cliff, which was a huge problem in USA elections and made him a poor candidate.

That's a different thing to incompetence in the sense that you imply it. I know some absolutely sharp as fcuk 80 year-olds but you have to communicate at their pace, listen attentively etc. A complete no-no for the cut and thrust of an election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Either would be far better than Trump. I was pretty happy when Biden exited the race. My main worry was switching the campaign over but that seems to be pretty smooth.

I endorse policies candidates run on. If one has similar policies I will probably look favourably on them as well.

Ah come on. I hadn’t visited this site for a long time but these was an extensive debate about Biden’s competency with many posters vehemently denying any decline that would impact his second term.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was against Harris for two reasons, other than mental decline, was that he would lose to Trump this time around. Trump would be a bad president, worse the second time around. At least Biden would have just sat back and let the management run things, and potentially Kamal take over at some point if he got much worse. A lot of posters here are quite reasonable and looking at the issues. Irish voters tend to look at everything, and will put policy over politics if it is for their betterment. Lots of countries don't, and America would be one of them, for many it is like a sports team. Talking to a friend over there, the reason Harris is going to win, isn't her being the better choice, it isn't her VP, it is because Trump picked Vance, nothing more, nothing less. It just looks (in one Americans opinions over coffee with swing voters) that Vance was the tipping point.

Most on this site don't get that because there was enough without that but that is what you are dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

I would have hoped that Biden stepped down before the election cycle …. but "Never Trump" won out for me.

• Advertisement

So all those earnest its all about the policies, let’s talk about the policies, were untrue. It’s all about the personalities.

I'm bowing out of this thread til it's either fixed or replaced. This thread freezing means it is quite unusable.

(Oh no! I might get some work done!)

It's been a bit of craic, look forward to the next time!

You are agreeing with me, though you don’t seem to realise it. Communication with the American people is a huge part of the role of the president. He was unable to do so successfully.
    Incompetence is literally the inability to do something successfully.

*Posting in hopes page updates*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Rawr

The Trump campaign are now getting an expensive lesson on the importance of fonts and typefaces. The Kamala in "(Kamala) YOU'RE FIRED" is pretty much illegable unless you're right up at that sign.

Kinda weird in general to be revisiting his old Apprentice slogan after all these years too. We've had 8 years of you cosplaying as a politician Donnie, we're way removed from that stupid reality TV show where you cosplayed as "not a loser".

You should really qualify that with “recent” general sentiment. When do you think the general sentiment changed about the appropriateness of Biden seeking a second term? Summer 2023?, Winter 2023?, Spring 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I mean are you again not aware of American politics? The whole Dem vs. Rep 2 party deal news to you?

The democrats needed to find someone who isn't a convicted rapist and fraudster to run as president and someone who doesn't get turned on by furniture as VP.

The Republican's have set a low bar to beat.

• Advertisement

The difference is; Biden stumbled in his communication when talking sense. Trump manages to very eloquently talk absolute horseh*t.

Trump is incompetent at communication in a different manner. There is nothing coherent, truthful or even logical in most of what Trump says. Biden occasionally mumbled.

Advertisement