Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit debate over use of the money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Joint bank account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Father's will tend to pick up the bigger expenditure items often paying for education costs, helping with car costs, etc.

Buying more things often is not the larger cost longterm

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheOneDon24

I use the payment as it was intended to help raise the child and spend it on the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Have you ever been in a bad relationship? I'm just thinking you may have just found the right person for yourself on the first attempt and never been burnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Shoog

I can understand this in couples who aren't yet married or who have no intention to get married - but once you get married it shows a lack of seriousness and commitment to me. A real lack of faith in a relationship which should be for life - even more so if children are involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

cop on, it isn’t a payment to the mother because she gave birth ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

would you cop on with yourself , you can be damn sure that your partner is spending it on you and your child. In the same paragraph saying you used it to get your hair done. Lolololol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,439 ✭✭✭✭noodler

With the amount of posters that don't see the cash or know how it is spent, I think it points to a wider problem of this money really not being needed.

This is what you re dealing with these days 🤣 I take half off herself because she can't be trusted it's in a joint account all mine gets spent on the child her half gets taken out and "spent on the child" ya right..

Reality is mother's aren't the same as they used to be alot of modern women are absolutely terrible mothers but still get social privilege of the mother card.

So yeah I can see why someone would want half some people on here have no clue what there talking about and just how toxic some of these "mothers" can be.

Payment should be spent on the child. Do what you need to do to ensure that's happening.

I can see that some men have had a really bad experience with their partners - but your the exception not the norm.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This me v her stuff is not a good way to think. I thought you were separated on first read.

We have a joint account and everything for the house (food, bills etc) is paid out of that. But our salaries go into our individual accounts and we then send a percentage of our wages each month into the joint account. Currently I earn more so I send more in in euro terms. We are a non nuclear family so only get CB part of the year, but when we do, CB is also lodged into the joint account. It's a household and a family, not a he v she.

If you feel you have to nickel and dime over 140 a month, and/or she's fighting you over 140 per month, I dare say that 140 is the least of your problems.

You're living in your own generation buddy and seem to have no idea what is going on with young couples these days.

The number of children being born before marriage, or without marriage at all is huge and growing all the time. It may even surpass the number of children being born within marriage. The collapse of the family unit has happened. Unmarried fathers are still being treated like outsiders or runaways in terms of the rights they have.

Show us some stats and I'll accept your opinion. It's not what I see.

I know quite few men in what appears to be your situation - but it's not the norm.

Not my situation. I don't have kids.

Unmarried fathers have no automatic legal rights over their children in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I think the problem is the fact that she won't discuss it rather than what it's being spent on currently. We save the child benefit. I'm not completely on board with this as I would like to use it towards some of the bigger expenses but then we can afford them without it & I can see the longterm benefit to saving it for my child.

@Shoog seperate accounts do not indicate trust issues at all. My parents were happily married but when my mam went back to work, she had her own account that her salary went into. My dad had an account where his salary/pension went to & then they had a joint account where all the household stuff was paid out of. A lot of couples do it that way when both work. It means all the general expenses are spared but also that I am free to spend the money I earn without accounting for it (& my partner can do the same). It also means that if I am buying a present for my other half, he can't see the transaction in the bank account. I can treat him & it's not coming from the general pool but is a genuine treat from me.

The other side is that if a woman isn't working, I would fully argue that she should be able to have her own bank account for the child benefit & that as a just in case. Monetary control is one of the first signs of domestic abuse & is often overlooked. Removing all autonomy from spending is something that happens more than we'd like to imagine even in this day & age. I would always advise women to have their own money just in case.

Have separate bank account and then a shared bank account for household/child expenses is an entirely different thing to having only separate bank accounts. Having separate bank accounts and negotiating all financial matters on a case by case basis is a receipy for disaster somewhere down the line and certainly points to trust issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We agreed to put aside the money into a separate account to give our son the best 'leg up' we can give him when he becomes an adult… whether thats for a house deposit, a car or whatever he wants, he'll have a bit of a start and an advantage and we make no apologies for that.,

€140/m for 18 years is €30,240

Everything else cost wise is spilt down the middle.

What exactly is the "norm" to you?

Also what age are your roughly I think you might be out of touch with younger couples these days it's a different ball game completely and your norm vs exception might be skewed.

So if your significant other wanted there own bank account your alarm bells would be going off?

I mean when you reverse what your saying it seems like control guised as trust.

I know a lot of couples who are completely independent financially and are happy together, your swinging wide with your assumption of separate bank accounts = trust issues

• Advertisement

I am 56. I know disenfranchised men of all ages, its terrible and wrong - but its the exception.

I have children in their 20's so am quite aware of the complex of issues around couples but its still the norm that when a couple decide to have children they generally first make a commitment to each other in the form of Marriage or Civil partnership and change their living arrangements onto a more permanent basis including having a joint bank account from which they pay bills for shared expenses.

If your significant other is not prepared to have a shared bank account for shared obligations - sure my alarm bells would be going off.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there,

The norm these days is to have kids first then have life and death trying to get a house then get married if you can afford it.

That day is long gone where people get married before kids and certainly isn't the norm.

Most people have separate accounts before getting into relationships and get used to financial independence the use of a joint account would be very minimal or occasional, (I've done it creates more headaches than solutions)

I would rather someone independent and capable of handling there own finances.

So I have to disagree separate accounts in the grand scheme of things means absolutely nothing.

This is also why I believe CB should be means tested…

We don't need it, so are lucky enough to be able to save it for our child's future…

We don't need it, but we aren't going to turn it down either…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This thread is a sh*t show and I can pretty much guarantee the OP won't be back. Should probably just be closed, tbh, before it descends even further into petty bickering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

What a moronic comment. I earn more than my wife. All income goes into one joint account. She may physically make more purchases for our kids, but I pay a higher portion of the cost. Life is too short, I am not taking out a calculator to see who pays what. And you can be certain there are loads of similar scenarios where dad is paying more than mam, as it should be if he is the higher earner in the relationship (conversely if the mother earns more than she will likely pay more towards rearing the kids).

And our child benefit gets invested for the kids future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Please invest that Andy. The purchasing power of €30k in 18 years will not be €30k.

Only just over 8 years left til he hits 18, but yeah, looking to make some sort of investment with it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Id say you have serious trust issues if you can't trust your partner to be able to spend their own money from their own bank account without you being able to see it….

Advertisement