Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Robinson

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why do you think every Nationalist is a terrorist?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

In the interests of trying to keep an open mind and fairness, I watched his "banned" documentary a week or so ago

https://x.com/TRobinsonNewEra/status/1817184820151070917

It really drags on but I stuck with it to the end.

You'd almost think watching the one sided account that Robinson was a lovely stand up guy who hadn't given himself the fake name taken from a notorious football hooligan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Recently watched an interview with TR and Jordan Peterson and his wife.

I was a little surprised by it. They seemed to hold him in very high esteem and take everything he said as gospel.

Also, no questioning of his far right views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

So it ends up he has an Irish mother, has an Irish passport so can live in europe permanently. Couldn't make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭scottser

And the Coolock scum trying to march with the Billy boys in Belfast, waving their tricolours around. Foreigners, protesting in a foreign country against foreigners. There really is no end to their absolute fuckwittery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ElitesTeam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why? Peterson's a grifter and always has been since he entered social media. They fit together like a hand and glove.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭scottser

He's a hypocrite - he campaigned heavily on the anti-immigration component of Brexit yet he can migrate to anywhere in Europe he wants on an Irish passport. Just like Farage, another Brexit hypocrite who is the son of immigrant parents and is married to a German immigrant and who has dual citizenship. Like the Coolock shitheads waving tricolours up north in solidarity with Loyalists; no wonder they were ran out of the place. Hypocrites, each and every one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Peterson has an impressive academic record, you might not like or approve of what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Once British or English nationalism is tied up with a love of "the Empire" its always going to have limited appeal here, their Empire literally tried population replacement back in the day so they will always grate to some level

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah And he might have been earnest at the beginning and when ge first got famous. But it would be hard to connect that to the character he's become now.

He's tailored his character to precisely fit his core target market of conservative white American men. You can guess his position on all kinds of topics based solely on that.

Climate change, God and the bible, women and men's place in society, guns, whether you should protest for change to the status quo, immigration, abortion and of course, trans people.

There's a whole thread about Peterson so best move it there.

I don't see anything impressive. He hasn't published since 2020, presumably since he realised that he could make more money grifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He's a chancer that knows his audience and he just says the things they want to hear because they give him money.

There's nothing more to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Actually I assume his academic record is impressive because I've heard people say so.

What's impressive about his record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Also doesn't really demonstrate a speciality in the topics that he's so effusive about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Stephen still grifting off the terminally stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

It's almost as if through the course of his research he realised that engaging in bad faith, emotionally charged debates would be profitable.

I wouldn't consider these clowns nationalist, not in the sense of Ireland/Northern Ireland anyway.

While the rioting was happening in Belfast city centre, in nationalist West Belfast they were having their Féile carnival with displays from a wide range of cultures, nationalities and identities.

https://feilebelfast.com/events/feiles-flagship-carnival-parade/?occurrence=2024-08-03

These tubes marching with the Loyalists are no nationalists. Like all fascists, they hide under the guise of national identity to push their disgusting agenda. If they were true nationalists, from Dublin in particular, they would be acutely aware of the Monaghan and Dublin bombings and would do everything they could to distance themselves from the likes of the UDA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tommy Robinson AKA Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is a very dangerous scumbag of the highest order.

I fully agree with the others here that so called "social" (actually rather the opposite IMO) media is extremely dangerous when blatant lies and falsehoods propagated by scumbags such as Stephen Yaxley-Lennon or Nigel Farage or Andrew Tate etc. clearly incite hatred against minority groups.

Their hatred for anyone else different from them and their deeply warped world view - be it Muslims, Jews, LGBT, assertive and successful women and so on is deeply poisonous - and very dangerous.

I am a gay man myself in a long-term relationship, and I am well aware that my freedoms and rights to be who I am can be threatened and even taken away.

Elon Musk, a self-serving narcissist of the highest order, is a dangerous man for allowing such spite-filled and dangerous lies to propagate on X/Twitter and other online platforms. We really need somehow to clamp down on these spiteful websites that only serve to poison impressionable and weak minds.

With free speech and rights comes responsibility and ethics. My late father told me in my teenage years that anyone can have an opinion - but it was having an informed opinion that was important.

I think reigning in platforms isn't a reasonable or easy to achieve objective, sadly. It would serve us better to have a robust critical thinking and online awareness program in school, from start to finish. We need to provide children the tools and skills to be able to sniff out clear bullshit, question what they're seeing and to understand the dangers of addiction, social media, echo chambers and confirmation bias. The younger generations were born online, so to speak. There is so much garbage out there that is designed to consume young minds that I fear for them, genuinely.

Anecdote. My kids get very little screen time, maybe 2-3 hours a week. They have to really consider what they want to do with this time, be it watch their favourite show, play video games or watch a movie. Not long ago, they were getting excessive amounts of screen time as a result of trying to juggle work/parenting during Covid and the habit formed. Over that time I noticed things like Cocomelon just zombified them. Looking at it further, and lots of kids TV shows I noticed a pattern of short frame times, constantly moving camera and perpetual stimulation. After we began cutting down on screen time there was a noticeable withdrawal. Tantrums, fighting and what I would describe as depression.

Take this on to social media, where platforms are designed to keep you engaged through doom scrolling, short bursts of information and constant stimulation. Chasing that dopamine hit definitely affects your cognitive, critical thinking skills and I know several friends and family members who have, over time, moved continuously into the realm of conspiracy theories as a direct result of lacking the skills to determine what is real and what is false online. These are people who I would consider intelligent, well educated, empathetic and well meaning.

Sorry for the rant. Basically, I think we need to provide people with the skills to determine what is real and what isn't. Tackling social media companies would be a wack a mole and they'd find new ways to circumvent any kind of restriction, there is simply too much money involved.

In relation to the Belfast riots, it's not even remotely surprising

https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/cn8llmpdl29o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He has a good number of academic publications for sure.

Virtually none of them are in the various areas that he now comments on.

He became well-known due to his opposition to the gender identity bill, and as a result the same cohort of people that opposed that started asking him for his positions on other stuff they tended to feel strongly about, such as immigration, feminism, climate change, islam.

But he doesn't really have any more insight into those topics than the average person, and it showed when he spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I really like the song he did ...

2-4-6-8 Motorway

Looks like trouble in Aryantown:

Farage was always smart enough to distance himself from Tommy Ten Names but polarising the country like this has finally come back to bite him.

They're teasing us with so much talk of throwing him under a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheOneDon24

Considering his been to jail for his views hard to say that his just doing it for money.

He is far right but there is an equally as bad smear campaign against him from the other side that drums up extra hate, a lot of the videos I've seen on you tube of him being interviewed its not just wild blind hatred for Muslims as the media would have you believe.

That is of course if this thread is a balanced debate and not just a bash Tommy Robinson thread in which case just disregard everything i said and carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheOneDon24

Farage just makes use of the drama he builds up, his a useful idiot for Farage in a lot of ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭mountain

oh come on!!

There’s a smear campaign again that c u nt?

Advertisement