Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I would say it largely shifted as a result of the debate. His State of the Union speech went well and the debate is when the tides turned entirely on him. If the debate had went well, he would still be the candidate. It's probably better it went poorly rather than at a later date. In terms of his presidency, it will be looked at as a far more positive one than Trump's term...

Policy wise, Harris is not very different to Biden. She's harder line on Israel, more vehemently pro choice. Meanwhile Trump has project 2025 which he's attempting to dissociate himself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Let’s not confuse issues here. I am not saying Trump is wonderful. I am questioning the judgement of the posters here who would still be championing Biden’s cognitive alacrity were he still seeking a second term.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,630 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To try dismiss criticism of Trump's conduct as 'personalities' is a completely untrue statement. Especially when Trump claims presidential immunity for his reprehensible conduct, conduct which includes attempts to subvert the results of the last election. That's not a personality question.

And the poster didn't say that, you are unable to make any argument of your own, just putting invented false words in other poster's mouths.

Opposing the presidency being the plaything of an election stealing felon and rapist is a policy in itself.

Who do you back between Trump and Harris and why?
    Or will this just be a rinse and repeat of loaded questions and misrepresentations of other people's posts?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,630 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah lets not confuse issues here. You havent justified these claims made about other posters.

So what is the agenda behind such questions?

Harris is standing v Trump.

Who do you support and why?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,462 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Kampala is the capital of Uganda.

I'm sure it'll come as a surprise to nobody why that particular angle was chosen to try and have a go at Harris.

I know 5 year olds that can conduct themselves better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Again though, Biden has no doubt aged, but there has been nothing to suggest he has suffered any kind of cognitive decline to the degree that he could not have served a second term, and if it was deemed during a second term that he was, there are means in place which could have him step aside either willingly or not, and Harris would assume the Presidency. Most posters here absolutely acknowledged Biden's age was a concerning factor, but also that there was not enough to indicate he had any significant cognitive condition which should have meant he should not run for re-election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Rawr

I would dare say a combination of the poor debate performance and the Trump shooting is what pushed Biden out. If Donnie had been any other person he might have still been riding a lot of support on the back of that shooting attempt…but damn…he sure seemed to use up that boost rather quickly, didn't he?

I'm thinking that the GOP now regret having the RNC several weeks before the DNC. At the RNC they were riding high after the shooting, so high infact that they felt they had the luxury of anointing a creepy MAGA-let as VP. But then…it all went badly for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Excellent contribution

At least your honest about it, politics over policy, personalities over principles

And the Kampala thing is most certainly not racist, it did sound familiar but certainly didn’t know it was a city in Uganda, anyways it seems to upset a few now so I’m sticking with it if only for that, remember just because your offended doesn’t mean you’re right - Ricky Gervais

btw I’m still waiting on suggestions about how Kampala would handle the important topics mentioned, it seems there are no responses yet so that either means the site issues have kept people away, or people are just happy to play politics on here without actually understanding what the implications are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The debate was the chief turning point. It exposed something that many people were concerned about, a very visible decline.

It's not like people suddenly turned against Biden or flip-flopped, even with his decline he's still of course a far better candidate Trump, but optically a candidate who can't speak properly is dead in the water. A shoe-in for the opposing candidate.

And the US's role in international conflicts such as the Ukraine invasion very much so matters to Europeans, just because you don't care doesn't mean it has no impact. Eg a Trump situation where he hands Ukraine to Russia and allows them to commit genocide also has huge security implications for Europe. Similar for his NATO stance.

Same reasons a lot of Irish people pay attention to elections in France or Germany. We're in a globalised world and choosing to ignore such politics is just a bit ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"At least your honest about it, politics over policy, personalities over principles

And the Kampala thing is most certainly not racist, it did sound familiar but certainly didn’t know it was a city in Uganda, anyways it seems to upset a few now so I’m sticking with it if only for that, remember just because your offended doesn’t mean you’re right - Ricky Gervais"

Excellent contribution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd disagree with this. I do think there has been a visible decline in Biden's lucidity over the last four years. I reckon a lot of this could well be down to the natural ageing process rather than any more serious cognitive condition, but it's there and more than enough to raise serious questions over whether he'd be able to serve another four years. Certainly it suggests he is far from the best man for the job. Obviously I can only comment on what I've seen, but it was clearly echoed over recent weeks by people who've actually met him - from various Democratic politicans to George Clooney in his NYT op-ed.

Trump is a rambling, incoherent dolt, but he has not visibly aged to the extent Biden has. Ditto various other older politicans on both sides of the US political divide. Frankly, I think it's ridiculous the extent to which American political culture encourages people to continue campaigning well into their 80s, through serious health crises, and often until they die. It discourages positive, healthy retirement; limits the ability of younger generations to rise; and occassionally creates various existential democratic crises (like with Biden or the various Supreme Court panics). One of the most striking images of the last few years was a clearly unwell Dianne Feinstein being wheeled into Congress. But even in that context, Biden's decline has been IMO noticeable.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Deub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Someone copying dumb ass nicknames complaining about others not contributing is rich. No one is going to take the Kampala nonsense or anyone copying it seriously.

Sample of your contributions on policy... Kamala Harris is both an accomplished and prosecutor. Donald Trump handled a pandemic disastrously, is a rapist and felon. His handling of foreign dignitaries amounted to him fawning over dictators. I wouldn't trust him to child mind. Let alone running a country.

Kampala is just too easy to laugh at, and she is being proposed as the head of the most powerful country in the world.

In a choice between her and anyone else then it’s always going to be the other candidate, even if that’s Trump, actually even if it’s Kermit the frog, why? Because the most powerful country in the world should not have someone like Kampala at its head, she just doesn’t meet the basic requirements

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No.. It's about policy as well.

The Racist Felon would sit back and golf while the Christian Nationalist Facists he has surrounded himself with burned down the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Well, given that a majority on here are posting out of emotion then it’s impossible to post on here against the majority narrative without offending someone, just clarifying it was initially a typo which caught on, rather than racism, that’s where the principles kick in.

More of a correction than a contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

I note you have nothing to say on where you get you information on Harris having a low IQ. Bullshit maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

That’s understandable when you get your news and worldview from Russian and Iranian firehouse of manure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Can you explain why you used "Kampala" in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Well, the Democrats actually have policies which also helps.

My impression was that when Republicans or neutral observers claimed Biden was unfit to seek a second term, they were dismissed, vilified, accused of all sorts of things but when the Democrat leadership intervened and said the same things, what had been dismissed as false was suddenly accepted as true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Consistently typing Kampala rather than Kamala makes you look incredibly childish at best, to put it kindly.

You cannot possibly be blind to how people are going to view your decision to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That is correct.

Right wing conspiracy theories, misediting, thats what any criticism of Biden was dismissed as.

Oscarmadison posted this link in mid June, about 9 days before the debate

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13481849/democrat-plot-biden-replacement-clinton-obama-pelosi-schumer.html

and said it may become a reality

Here are a few of the constructive replies to his assertion, this will tell you all you need to know.

It's not even speculation, it's purely hypothetical garbage - Podge_irl

Keep buying those lottery tickets, dreams do come true (at odds of millions to one) - Duploelabs

These rumors persist because the right doesn’t want to race against
    Biden. They’d prefer anyone else but the clean nosed Catholic they can’t
    even lay an email server on. And ain’t it just a treat that these
    rumors swirl around every name on the left that the right has built its
    entire base around despising and getting out their vote for? - Overheal

the repeated claims by the GOP and their flacks that "the Democrats are
    planning to replace Biden any day now" are utter nonsense. -Quin_Dub

Clearly between the Daily Mail junk article, what I'm seeing from
    Trumplodyte friends on FB, and now Fox news, the "Biden is too
    unhealthy" thing is "in the air." Probably because Ukraine's making
    progress in their war and so RuZZia needs to stir up the useful idiots -
    not you, but whoever fed the glurge to the Daily Mail or Fox news.

Anyway, when you see it, just let it go. It's nonsense and just a CFTrump-favoring whataboutism. - Igotadose

Nobody's taking anything badly. You made a hysterical claim and pasted a
    link to the Daily Mail, a well known spreader of fake news. People gave
    it the curt dismissal it warranted. -ancapailldorcha

Before the last election we were told he was definitely going to be replaced at the convention , then after that we were told he was definitely going to (be forced to ) resign and allow Harris to become President
    and now we're back to "He's definitely going to be replaced at/before
    the convention".

It's simply not going to happen. -Quinn_Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I don't know what you're trying to achieve here.

We're just reading "Kampala" and the rest is just bla bla.

I can only assume you're having a bit of fun and not to make any kind of point.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,391 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus the maga Weirdos have come completely off their hinges.

Which just proves Walz was a sterling pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭AllForIt

FFS why did she pick someone who looks so old for his age.

And pretty much everyone's perspective shifted as a result of the debate performance. Worth remembering that only a few months prior, he had a fantastic reception at the State of the Union. Either way, he's not the candidate now and people such as yourself are desperately trying to find anything to attack Harris on....

And also worth remembering that Trump's attacks on Harris are invariably incoherent...

• Advertisement

There is a massive difference from “paying attention” to foreign elections to people who have no vote in and cannot influence the outcome of the election, spending hundreds of hours trying to convince other people who have no vote in and cannot influence the outcome of the election which candidate to support.

Advertisement