Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this combo box worth buying?

• 06-08-2024 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Another person here who is leaving sky soon after nearly 20 years, finally.

Looking at my options already, and have dug out an old Amiko Mini Combo HD I had for years.

While looking for channel lists for it, I came across an updated version of it,. It's a 4K UHD version.

So, two things,,,, is this box worth buying for local channels, rte, BBC, itv, etc??

Also, the company selling it,, has anyone dealt with them before? After delivery, it'll work out about €20 cheaper than anywhere else, so I'm kind of suspicious about that already.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

the thing to remember with only one satellite tuner you can not record one channel while watching anohter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Thanks Gerry, that would be fine.

No interest in recording stuff either way.

Other than that, worth buying? Know anything about the company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭goldiefresh

Site is legit alright. But all prices are ex vat and there's a place at checkout for your vat number.

@goldiefresh , thanks for that. Yeah I noticed that afterwards about the vat.

You think that box is worth buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭goldiefresh

Its not a bad box in fairness I had one two non 4k ones that needed new plugs after a few years but other then that been pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Am on Astra 28.2-FTA. Any advantage to getting a 4K Amiko ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭andy1249

There is no real advantage to getting a 4K box , there are no stations worth watching in 4K from Satellite and there is not likely to be any time soon ( if ever )

The only way the UHD/4K hardware gets used on these boxes is via IPTV or a Media Player if it has either of those as a function.

Amiko is a proprietary OS based cheap box , it works OK , but only has now and next for FTA Satellite. 7 day EPG for saorview only.

There are enigma 2 boxes for about the same price that will give you 7 day EPG for both FTA Satellite and Saorview. Zgemma H82h or Octagon 8008 are both single tuner combo boxes in the same price bracket as the Amiko and much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I agree with Andy, the amiko is fine but if you are happy to set up a linux/enigma 2 box you will get a much better viewing experience in my opinion.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

@andy1249 , Ohh thank you for that. I'll definitely look into those boxes.

@Tony yeah, I'll definitely have a look at those box options.

I was only looking at the Amiko as it seemed to do what I want it to do, while not costing a lot.

I'm definitely open to other box suggestions for around the same price.

The 7-day EPG is definitely a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bronkobilly

i use the walker combo box good receiver the channel listing is the same as the toshiba tv so wen the channels change frequency put the new frequency in walker receiver channels on again use the usb stick put channels on toshiba tv happy days. some of these certain makes of receivers if the remote breaks it can be hard to get a new remote walker work with universal remotes

Advertisement