Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Honestly, I don't think posters are expecting to change the perspective of posters who drop in to declare their love of Trump. Pointing out how ridiculous the opinion is something you're entitled to do. No different to pub chats tbh. Pretty sure you could apply this logic to any online discussion.

He's pretty well liked, sharp and a highly capable politician who is well able to outperform either Trump or Vance. In general, his selection is incredibly well received. I don't think anyone is gonna be viewing him like an 80 year old or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Rawr

That and the panicy "scatter-shot" posting of our "centrist" friends on here kind of amplifies the panic setting into the Weird World of MAGA.

"Quick! Think of a nickname for Kamala! Anything at all, just get one out there!!"

"It's not working?!! Ok, focus back on Biden, bring him up! I don't f**king care if he isn't the nominee anymore, just give us something!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Shifted, is that what you would call it. lol

Btw all he had to do at the State of the Union was read a script.

Hardly a high bar.

His cognitive decline has been covered up for many years now, Harris was complicit in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I’m sorry if I was unable to decipher much of your post but you criticise stubbornness in not changing one’s mind when the fact is that posters slavishly supported Biden until their minds were changed for them by the elite of the Democratic Party.
    Posters were doing exactly what you say they weren’t,

stand behind someone for as long as it takes, you don't do so unthinkingly and without the possibility of ever adapting your position to new circumstances.”

Biden supporters
    didn’t change their minds about Biden. The doyens of the Democratic Party changed their minds and the Biden fanboys slavishly followed. Don’t pretend there was any independent thought involved.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah thats harsh. I can definitely believe they didn't know where Kampala was. They probably thought it was the capital of San Antonio and could point it out by pointing at Brazil on a map. That sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Like Trump he has been declining. However that happened very visibly and abruptly during the debate - which ended his political career. Likewise if Trump started stuttering during a rally or debate, his would be over.

That's not to be confused with contrarians and Trump supporters who've been repeatedly claiming that he's been "too old" since the get-go. I've never been "vilified" for stating my opinion that Biden was too old for a 2nd term, but that comes from a place of support, not of contrarian agitation, which I suspect is the cause of the persecution complex.

He equally had a pretty successful presidency that will be viewed as far better than the other guys. There's no indication that he can't currently serve and it's speculation to assume there was a 4 year cover up. Not something that's very easy to do so I'm inclined to say it's the last year that any real decline has happened.

Regardless of any mental decline, I'd still trust him far more Trump btw. You weirdly seem less concerned that the GOP has happily supported and backed a rapist and convicted felon as their candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The child mind line gave me a laugh. Can you think of a worse person to mind children than someone who's an adjudicated sex offender, that thought nothing of walking into changing rooms of underage girls at his child beauty pageants, that regularly visited his good friend Epstein's island where he's been repeatedly accused of having raped children and that has repeatedly made lascivious remarks about his own daughter in public?

I mean, let's be honest, I think any parent who loved their child would rather see the scumbag back in the oval office than anywhere near their daughter if given a binary choice. Luckily it's not a binary choice and Putin's pet pervert should end up behind bars after Harris wins the election.

Post edited by Sleepy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

If somebody told me that a balding man with grey hair was 60 years old, I would say, "Yes, and cows go 'mooooo'"

:)

So to recap, the people who claimed Biden was in decline and would be unable to govern for a second term were wrong and the people who argued that Biden was the best candidate and could govern for a second term were right.

Until, of course they weren’t.

Instead of the mental gymnastics would it not be easier to accept that posters who argued Biden could not competently govern for another 4 years were proved correct and those who argued he could were proved wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"Shifted", like what people do when they get new information. Like when you support someone who turns out to be found liable for sexual assault and guilty of fraud, most normal people would "shift" away their support from such an odious individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭circadian

Did I miss something? Is Biden the nominee again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

Kamabla/Kampala. They are not instantly understandable like a Crooked Hillary or a Sleepy Joe as insults and are neutered.

And when you're explaining, you're losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Honest question.

Do you feel people shouldn't be allowed change their minds when given new information?

Because it sounds like that's what you're suggesting.

"You supported Biden, you should always support Biden, regardless of what happens."

Sorry pal, but that's only true for MAGA heads. They support Trump regardless of finding out about him being a rapist and a fraud.

I believe the current 'slogan du jour' fits:

"That's just a bit weird."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I fail to see their direct relevance to Uganda's foreign policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jesus Christ it’s like that speech last night punched MAGA into last month they are still going on and on about “Brandon”

Do they realize they are racing against Harris/Walz now or are they trying to throw the towel in already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dont see anyone declaring their love of Trump.

Thats the accusation levelled at anyone who doesnt think Kamala Harris is the chosen one.

Its completely disengenuous and just an excuse to be vitriloic.

Family chat is blowing up this morning about the speech last night

Family chat never discusses politics (fishing and hockey) but now even my own mother is fired the hell up. The dynamics of the election have completely changed. It feels like ‘08 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It was almost as if, presented with new evidence (the debate), people's concerns but to that point largely unevidenced fears about Biden were magnified and as a result, they were able to review the situation and look to make changes rather than blindly staying loyal out of some sort of devotion.

Compare that with those who support Trump. Despite his failing to concede the last election, he was the head of a campaign to overturn that election and ultimately attempted a coup. Despite his convictions for sexual assault and 34 counts of fraud.

Despite Trump's decision to dump Pence from the ticket, which strangely is not commented on at all by Trump supporters who seem to be so exercised that the DNC would make a change.

Despite all this, Trump supporters are staying steadfastly behind their guy.

One party acted on the evidence and the other is going full steam ahead despite all the evidence. Yet it is the DNC that you have a problem with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You say "serious commentators" as if we're not all just a bunch of people on a website giving our own opinions or speculation based on available information. Information or circumstances change, and it's only prudent that those opinions and speculation change with that.

Speaking only for myself, I didn't like that we ended up with Biden in 2020, but looking back he probably was the best pick to beat Trump. His Presidency has been okay, but I didn't want him to run again for 2024 (pretty sure he'd said he was only going to serve one term). But he won the Primaries, so f*ck it, he was going to be the nominee. Then the debate happened, and he was fairly abysmal. I still don't think he has shown enough signs of any kind of tangible cognitive impairment that should have excluded him from running again, and I thought even regardless of Dems asking him to step down I didn't think he would, not at this stage.

But he did. In fairness to him, he listened, he reassessed, he knew it was most likely he'd lose, so he stepped aside. People can post all they want about some shadowy group of "doyens" forcing him out in an undemocratic coup, but the fact remains he won the Primaries and if he didn't decide himself to step down, he likely still would have been the nominee following the DNC.

Circumstances change. If Biden had decided not to run again before the Primaries and there were more Dems putting their name forward, Harris may not have even won. And so most of us would likely be supporting whoever the new Dem nominee was. But because Biden stepped down when he did, Harris became the presumptive nominee (because at the very least, the Biden/Harris ticket won the Primaries) and no other Dem candidates really put their name forward. So now we're supporting Harris.

Circumstances change. Since he lost the 2020 election, Trump has engaged in trying to prevent that election being certified, rallied his followers to go to the Capitol to disrupt the certification, been charged with numerous crimes, been found liable for sexual assault, and spends half his rallies talking about Hannibal Lecter and fearing being electrocuted by a boat with a battery. Yet people still support him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well, I heard he's planning on a comeback. Word is floating around that JFK Jr. will be his running mate.

MAGA tries desperately to choke on ‘memberberries of running a half assed campaign ahead in the polls against an aging Joe Biden

It’s a wonder all these “did I say I support Trump” Trump supporters are trying to derail the thread with similar nonsense, they have their marching orders

Everyone is well aware of how you pretend to be a "centrist"... She's a more capable politician than Trump, isn't a rapist or felon. So not claiming she is the chosen one but she is light-years ahead of the other guy.

I believe one can support who one wants. What I find hypocritical is posters arguing Biden is fit to govern for a second turn right up to the point where he is dumped out of the race by the Democratic Party elders. If posters, Biden supporters, conceded he should step down before he was forced to then fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not naive enough to think one VP pick is going to change the ideological rot of the mainstream Democratic Party, but Walz is the most encouraged I've been by a major Democrat figure in a good while. He is exactly what the party needs: a down-to-earth, relatable and successful advocate for progressive policies that will actually make a difference to ordinary people's lives. The party has been so corrupted by big business and special interests, they really need to shift to being a party that will make a tangible difference for people who've rightfully lost faith in politics. Otherwise, people will be drawn to the false promises offered by others.

The Republicans would spew their incoherent 'most far-left candidate ever' attacks whoever the VP pick was going to be (they use it against Joe Biden for god's sake). But the lame, lazy attacks will struggle when the policies being put forward - from abortion rights to school dinners - are hugely popular with a significant swathe of the electorate. Lots, lots more to be done - not least on major pressing issues like Gaza, which sadly this VP pick doesn't really move the needle on - but Walz is a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Ah bless, it's all they have. Like rats trapped in a barrel, they will start eating each other soon.

The 'weird' description makes more and more sense the more you see who is campaigning for trump. All of them weird and also deplorables. No wonder they are so rattled, a simple word to describe them to perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Again, you're leaving out the context that people are evaluating Biden's fitness to govern relative to Donald Trump. If he was up against a serious person I imagine the discussion would have been very different.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably he just is copying the word from the rapist.
    Shows how little imagination exists there if a poster thinks it witty to copy a stupid attempt at racism from a known felon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Rawr

Well that settles it; time to go and camp out at Dealy Plaza again for months on end while we wait for him to turn up.

It's worth pointing out, that it was the extreme Q-Anon cohort of MAGA that did this wierd nonsense back in the day when some idiot invented the idea of a long-dead Democrat returning from the dead to join Trump and return him to the White House mid-term without an election. And for reasons not explained (or explainable) a number of them ended up camping at the location of the assasination of JFK.jr's father for an embarressingly long amount of time.

This is the heart of where we are folks. We have one side of the political spectrum taking stock of things that have happened and adjusting strategy according to what we see & what we hope will work best. Then we have the other side, the wierdos, who will ignore reality despite it being exactly what they need to do for themselves. They will ignore the unsuitablity of Trump to run anything let alone a nation, and stick with him. They will ignore the undemocratic and extreemist behaviour of MAGA and echo everything they say despite the threat their ideas might eventually be to them. And they'll believe someone so much that a dead man will turn up in Dallas to magically make their chosen canditate president that they'll sit there for days to make believe it will happen.

So go on, our "I don't like Trump, but…" MAGA friends. Keep focusing on everyone elses ability to think about the world and adjust our opinions. Then take a long hard look at why you still find yourself cheerleading for a man who's best soundbite lately is taking about fictional cannibal, and is so god damned thick that he thought that nuking a hurricane was a good idea.

Because despite all of this belated finger wagging about Biden…*your* guy is still Donald F**king Trump, the single worst American President in history, who was so childish and corrupt that he couldn't even leave office without trying to wreck democracy in the process.

Advertisement