Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life dating evnets

• 05-08-2024 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

50+ male here.. ate there any real life dating events or bars etc where u can go in your own and mingle and see hiw it goes. I'm afraid if my life off online and font want the pressure of a set up date by an agency. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why afraid of online? It's an easy way to get lots of dates and it's the way most people seem to meet these days especially 30+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Online is only pure **** for men. Women have so much choice they only swipe right on Mr. Perfect

Ah, Mr. Perfect himself

You should do a AMA thread. Spill the beans on your life of endless perfection

You don't have to be perfect to go on dates with women ffs. I'm sensing online dating left you a little bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Tried a few speeddating events in London. They all got cancelled as barely anyone registered. Now, I can't be bothered.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Pure bitter altogether. Found someone who luvs me offline though so the bitterness is starting to dissipate slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rowantree18

I'd completely disagree that online is easier for women. In my experience the men seemed to all have a few women they were "dating" and never seemed really interested in trying to really get to know you as they can just keep swiping. I did meet some lovely men and one man I was with for some years but ultimately it peetered out as he also just wanted it to be fairly non-committal even after years.....possibly he also thought something better was out there and kept an eye open. Which is is the issue - online leads us to believe in unicorns....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jesus, these threads are so tedious. Online dating can be shıtty and difficult for both genders. Neither "side" has a monopoly on how hard it is.

It can also be great. It is what it is. There's certainly no need to be afraid of it, but you do need to have a relatively thick skin and the ability to be relatively sanguine about the inevitable dickheads and time wasters.

If that's not you, OP, then give it a miss. But I certainly wouldn't be put off by the usual Negatrons whinging about it on here.

There is an infinite supply of men so there is also an infinite supply of millionaire men who are 7ft tall and have 10" penises. Those guys get 99% of the swipes

• Advertisement

Yeah well I found being sound, taking care of your appearance, being somewhat fit, and having your sh*t together financially seems to be enough to get plenty of dates online, at least it was when I started using it in my mid 30s.

There isn't an infinite supply of men that women want to go out with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You met someone were with them for years and still precive online dating as a negative?

Unless the OP is vunurabel or sensitive in someway online dating is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rowantree18

I meant it as a saying I had a success but I still think men have it easier

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheOneDon24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Don't forget the sense of humor. I've found my sense of humor makes up for my lack of a 10" penis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

True - if you can make a woman laugh, you are 90% there…..however the last 10% is the hardest bit!

But they can meet you during the day for lunch and have a bit of a laugh and hop into bed later with Mr. 10"

For the women its worth staying on dating sites permanently for the occasional blast off a 10 incher than to be settling for a 7". Theyll use your other physical features to infer if you might be packing a 10". So if you are a leprechaun with 10" they still wont swipe on you unless you rode her friend and the word got around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I met my wife at a singles night in a city centre club.It was embarrassing for both of us , she was supposed to be out for a night with her friends and I was supposed to out fishing for the night.

She came up to me at the bar and asked me to buy her a drink , told to her **** off saying I'm not falling for that **** again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think you might need to get off the internet for a while, dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Once you get to the 50 mark its over for most men unless someoe is very lucky.

I'm on a few sites and still get the odd message but not from anyone I'm interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

50 is a great age for dating sites in my opinion.

The big thing I found and it took me a while to figure this out was the number of participants who were only looking for a form of entertainment for whatever reason they had very few friends or interests and online dating seemed to have become an out let for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 _BAA_RAM_EWE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i have (genuinely) created a solution where you can go into a pub, connect to the wi-fi and straight away - without entering more details or urls etc etc or clicking anything, a dating site will appear on your phone with ONLY THOSE OTHER PEOPLE LOOKING TO DATE WHO ARE THERE IN THE PUB appearing in it. Obviously it would require a quick email registration and the uploading of a photo and some info, but the main thing is the profile would not exist outside the pub, and would only appear when you go to the pub, connect to the wi-fi and log in to the dating site that appears. when you arent there, your profile isnt shown.I think it's the perfect combination of online ease but offline reality. this thing is only a prototype at the minute, but all the essentials work. it's not ready by any means commercially.

The chances of another single person being on the same site in the same pub at the same time seem rather slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Cushtie

A lot of people dont bother with connecting to a premises wi fi any more as data speeds and plans are generally OK now that there is no need to bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

But what if most bigger pubs had the system installed? I think Maccored has something there.

Not your ornery onager

Possibly, but it seems a bit random and lacks the structure of a planned event where a group of singles show up to a venue at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Actually, the pub/venue wouldn't even have to be involved - it could be done by location matching alone.

However, location matching is probably a feature on dating sites already - just set your max distance to 20 metres!

Not your ornery onager

the concept will be tested at the salty dog stage this year at EP. Connect to the salty dog wi-fi and it goes to the stage times, band schedule and online merch. Same idea - just a different destination for the minute. Theres a survey on it to to see if we can get peoples opinions on the idea and maybe what should be on it next year

The idea that there isnt other single people of a suitable sex in the same pub or venue is a bit far fetched in my eyes. unless its a wee pub with one or two people in it - but it could also be a very valid point as I dont know. i havent done the research as yet so I cant actually argue with that.

• Advertisement

venue doesnt have to be involved - well they have to want the system on their premises but everything is self contained. Routers are even rechargeable with 5G SIMs

Advertisement