Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Have actually watched that vid before, yes it's very good, and I do really like that Rolex! I think it tends to reinforce my thinking on what I like in a watch, it's for wearing, and my wearing is rough. Reminds me of a penknife my brother gifted me several years back, out of the box it was perfect, shiny, flawless. I tend to be careful with what I own, and particularly if it's a gift, so I was being very careful with it and then I dropped it, it was closed, but it put a decent mark into the end bolster. I now carry that knife everyday I'm in the garden or the workshop and it's used and used hard. Without that drop it might never have been.

That's a long way of saying, a lot of watches to me are too pretty (I do really like looking at them though) and I would have difficulty wearing them. Two weeks ago I was cutting my hedge and noticed something shining in the cuttings it was my 1968 Seiko 5, strap bar broke, won't stop me wearing that watch doing stuff I shouldn't be wearing a mechanical watch doing. So a 20+ year old Rolex design that I like (and there are many really) showing battle scars, nicks and dents, that's the one I would choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@lostboy75 Couldn't agree more.

A tool watch should be used, it is a tool.

The GMT Master was a requested development from Juan Trippe of PAN AM for air crews traversing time zones.

In sympathy with the Japanese tradition of wabi sabi, the wear, tear and imperfections that an object endures as it is used enhance its beauty, not detract from it.

A watch that has given 50 years of service should not look like it has just come out of the shop.

The wear and tear are testament to its usefulness as it is used as intended.

Over on another a forum, one of my favourite threads is called Watches Worn Well, and it is just a collection of people wearing watches as they go about their business. Many of them are sports, service or duty people and the watches that serve them.

Not denigrating watches as a statement or jewellery, rather celebrating them as useful instruments.

Here's a favourite of the type: Ferrari boss Luca de Montezemolo rocking a Speedmaster Mark II as he says something clearly not funny to Nikki Lauda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Lol that's a great pic of clashing cultures, Lauda looks ready to stitch him one:)

Likewise I find tool watches with designs lead by intended use at the forefront to be the ones that interest me most.

My willard slim willard on a z199 and willard on shark mesh which is crazy comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Exactly.

It's mad on some forums, the lads (and it is nearly always lads) complaining at length about the minorist of minor scratches and whether they should be polished out, and I am thinking (wabi sabi), f*cking embrace the wear and tear - it makes your watch much more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wabi sabi and maybe even a bit of kintsugi😉 too and then we can all embrace the 2-tone too 😁

I agree, tool watches are just that and the rise of them being babied and worn only on high & holy days is a touch sad.

That said, I am now realising I should've taken off the Blancpain before I started painting the sills and trim of the house today😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

In the interests of wabi sabi, I came off my bike last week taking a cornera bit too quick in one of those heavy downpours we experienced that make the roads extra slippy.

The watch took a bit of a battering, with the bracelet obviously cutting my wrist, then coming off the watch. A slightly bent spring bar was repaired today. The dinks on the case are minor. I'm impressed by how well it took the beating. Better than my ribs, which are broken!

Also, thank you to the man who handed me the watch back after the fall. In my shock I just stuck it in my pocket without much of a thank you. If he's here, thank you very much!

Sorry to hear about your spill Dave, the watch fared better than you:). Hope the ribs/wrist heal quick and the bike ain't too damaged either. Fairings be expensive!

Front or rear go first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Front went and I followed! The bike is fine, fortunately. Like the watch, a few wabi sabi scrapes and it's in need of new bar tape, but nothing serious. My wrist is fine bar the road rash. It's the ribs keeping me up at night! Thank you for the well wishes!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Thanks for the tip, it works well and I happened to be wearing a purchase from you today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

Morning swim overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Dev1234

Spotted this on the Bargain Watch that I'm not Buying thread.....

Landed on this instead...

It just caught my eye with the retro look.

120 quid delivered after a 25% reduction.

Just delivered today but comfortable so far and definitely different than anything else I have.

It should make it to the bottom of the pool and back unscathed:)

I hope you brought a couple of dive sticks with you at least 😉

I started today wearing this

And switched to the Monro a few minutes ago.

as the Mrs has me working on the "estate" today 🤣 A new external double socket to fit aswell as painting the window sills. I have been hoping for a downpour but it doesn't look likely🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

new incoming next week.. have done well to survive until August.

Purists might not like it..

Will post pic when it arrives

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Love the flyback so classy, well played

Its drags me to the bottom of the pool it's so heavy 😊

All credit to 893bet for that one, the man has an unerring eye for my next watch…🤣

Nice to be back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Sinn 104 and a Crown & Buckle NATO in the evening sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That very nice watch would look good on many different natos (striped, bordered, bright colours, etc.).

I really need to stop looking at these and just decide I'm buying one. So nice.

Just Arrived today

Very nice.

How is it in the flesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Ian OB

Just back from holidaying in Basel. Loads of lovely watches to be seen there.

Picked up a few bits & pieces to read. Also a cheap digital for the craic.

Was given the go-ahead to splurge on something proper, but couldn't decide on anything. (Too many to pick from, wood for the trees type job).

Oh @IrishPlayer, if work ever sends you to Ronda on secondment, try to go in the summer, its just across the road from a gorgeous open air swimming pool.

it’s nice, 41.2 mm. it’s not light. Pushers are quiet, so no click. Bottom dial shows the charge E-F.

Thinking of other straps for it. Maybe a vintage leather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭furiousox

Time for an old fashioned 😃

CPL 593H

And there it is! You buy within these shores?

Looks sweet!

For the longest while I was going to just stump up the cash and buy the SPB143 as the stock case/insert was not available.

This SBDC191 Japan only ltd edt case popped up and I had a cunning plan of modding it to 143.

Bar the "17" engraved crown which I removed/refinished and the caseback declaring it as a Shohei Ohtani piece it's identical to 143. Chuffed with it:)

• Advertisement

I did indeed.. am now just looking for a different strap..

Brill, wonder will it sell out fast... I have a feeling it may.

Imo it needs a subtle coloured strap to compliment it as is a loud watch. It's dieing to be paired with tan leather like below. If you're adventurous a rally racing strap would be retro cool.

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/products/pebro-vibrant-genuine-leather-watch-strap-in-chestnut-brown

https://condorstraps.com/leather-rally-holes-parallel#93=113

I know that Weirs and Fields told me they got 2 each. I agree with the strap and assume it’s 20mm, was also thinking along a rallye one aswell

Ah cool! Yeah it's deffo sold out so, you did well. Wonder will they get more in soon...

The annoying thing is it has 21mm lugs which is plain mental imo.

Me I'd buy 22mm, and carefully shoulder it. Looking forward to seeing it on your strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Love the watch but love the choice of Bourbon a little bit more.

Liking Daniel Craigs new Omega no date

Anxious as I was to try one...

.…I just don't think they're worth the better part of seventy five quid. Yea I'm calling the emperor starkers.

A quick look in the far East shows these delivered for a fiver ea.

Ribbing not as pronounced, the hardware is more basic but stainless and sturdy, they're single pass but that's what I cut mine to anyway. I tested one, it held a ten kg plate easily. Really comfy and mega low as thin, I think they look great, buy buy buy.

Fell off the wagon big time.. this is number 2 for the month and a third on the way.. I will say three Hail Mary and two Our Fathers for penance..

Number 3 soon

oh.. they are nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Poljot Buran 3133, always wanted one. Very pretty watch with an interesting history

Love a 3133, me!

Very nice, and a lovely model.

I've had a few, including a Blue Angels Chrono, a dressy one with a metallic, icy white dial and Roman numerals, and a Sturmanski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Bought this over 30 years ago….I don't wear it anymore though

I have a soft spot for these.

Good build quality, solid, long lasting movement, and general timelessness about the design.

All you need, really.

new boots on my Seiko.. thanks to @H_Lime for the links to suggested straps

this is a Condor Straps Thick Rally Leather Watch Strap with Stitching.

Makes the watch lighter to wear.

PS.. getting the Seiko bracelet off is a nightmare.. a nightmare

Looking great on that and likely more wearable as they say. Super looking watch.

143 pre dip.

• Advertisement

Bath day…

Decided to do a bit of a clean up of everything in my watch box, so they all got de-grimed. I have my eyes open for an ultrasonic cleaner to take it up a level, but for now everything is sparkling and ready to be worn out!

@Pablo_Flox Very nice!

Spotting a bit of a theme here, can't quite put my finger on it…

😁

Very nice collection. Nice Montas in particular.

Just my tuppence but I'd be using the ultrasonic cleaner on bracelets only. You may have inferred that I dunno, not trying to teach yer granny to suck eggs.

I only use mine on bracelets, clasps and bare cases. On some bezel inserts (some in anodised ally but not all) it can cause a reaction that can blemish them and I've seen it loosen the adhesive holding them too. BTW that's just with warm soapy water.

A question for those who have a little bit of restoration experience. It's not work I'll be doing myself but, on 50s & 60s era watches with oxidisation or dial mottling.

I'm assuming that this is usually a failure of the varnish? Is it a case of going slow with peg wood and rodico to clean it up? Or must a solvent be used?

The pic below as an example:

Oh yeah, would definitely only use an ultrasonic cleaner on the bracelets, and on the wife's engagement ring.

I was surprised with how much gunk I got off using a toothbrush (a bit gross TBH) so I'm curious if an ultrasonic cleaner would take off even more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement