Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we drop our project?

• 06-08-2024 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So this is an issue that I don't think is uncommon in Ireland. I have a lousy neighbour. I'm building a home next door (already invested up to footings) and he's bringing up several issues to put us off building. Some such issues are:

Threatening to knock in the boundary (there's an error on the OSI map not in line with the longstanding stone walls on site).

Cutting the water supply from outside my entrance (the line came to my property) and diverting it through his land. He wants me to pay him for use of 'his' water.

Its a shared road to the property and neighbours will not salute when passing in the car. I thin their goal is to create tension to push us out and buy the plot cheap.

My issue is that essentially the neighbour can't lose. For the sake of 'not letting him win' how can I pay hundreds of thousands to build a home there when the neighbour is constantly trying to make issues for us.

Life's too short to be living with a hostile neighbour. Should we just move somewhere else while we can? There's so few options to buy near where I grew up.

Even if we scaled back the building it wouldn't be worth the investment to rent it. Its a money pit really and was only of value as our family home. Sad to sell it as it was inherited and has sentimental value. The site is at best worth 150k as is. If we spend 350 min building there we probably would only get 380k tops for its location. We'd be losing money on this.

I feel like we'd be better off going back overseas to Melbourne as its the only other place we could really call home, and at least there are homes on the market to buy! But it would be a better use of our nest egg.

We've gone through planning and all the hard stuff to make this work over three years. It just looks like we're putting all our eggs into a basket of shite.

Opinions welcome.

Post edited by Not for Long on

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Dont let them drive you out. Record everything they do and keep as looks like a complete a hole…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It doesn't matter how long the wtone wall is there, if its not correct its not correct. The OS man does not dictate what it should go by way. Check the title deeds.

Assuming the water supply is not actually his private supply. Then let him cut it. Then call the cops. That would be highly illegal (intimidation, criminal damage etc).

Who cares if he waves. He sounds like a prick.

If you decide to sell it, you don't have to sell it to him. sell it to somebody that will boil his blood.

If the investment is not worth it, thats you you to make a call on. I'd build and sell for max profit.

You could go to melbourne. Homes are not cheap in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Sell it to the council, let them build on it and move in a family of travellers, that'll quiten him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

Move on, life is not worth that much hassle, even if you eventually win, you will be stressed to the gills for the years in the meantime. Cut your losses and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Not for Long

Some good points here. To my mind the boundary and the water meter aren't really issues but the neighbour is making them issues which is the real problem. That's the worry - that every couple of weeks he'll find another problem to kick off about.

The site might be worth 100k and putting 400k of a house on it when the max sell value in in its location is 350k just doesn't add up. Its max profit is to sell it as a site. Otherwise we'd blow our nest egg and be stuck there.

Australia is not cheap but all things considered is looing like a better option tbh.

• Advertisement

Its really only a building site at the minute, which I doubt the council will purchase. If they were interested in purchasing the site would definitely be interested.

Its a shame but I think you're right here. I would be sacrificing too much long term for the sake of not letting him win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Is there anything to be said for the threat of violence towards him?

Stand your ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭flyer_query

Another thing to consider, you are in a very rare position of owning a site with planning permission, that is a situation that is almost impossible for most people to be in due to local planning laws and conditions and something that takes years to achieve.

Be aware that if you walk away from this site just then you are probably walking away from the chance to do a self build in future (full stop or at least for many years) and your future options in Ireland will likely be limited to buying a pre built house.

My advise is ignore and don't engage, or if you are going to engage drop the hint that you are reconsidering the area due to his attitude and that you are thinking that maybe taking the council up on their offer to sell to them might be the best thing. It might make the pr!ck think twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

Whats the history with the relationship with this guy? You mentioned you inherited the site so was there a fall out between whoever owned this land and the hostile neighbour. Is his house next to your site or does he just own the land around it?

If I were you I wouldnt walk away as you will always regret it. Stand your ground and let him know you wont be bullied out. He'll get over it eventually and you dont have to be best friends with your neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Let him kick off you don't have to engage. I get the feeling he's an old bollox. He won't be around forever.

However if the house is going to cost you 400k, and be worth 35k, it's a bad investment.

On the other hand, that's only an issue if you are not going to settle there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭iniscealtra

agree with @flyer_query Other option is to buy an old house or pre built house in the locality. Are they available? Is your heart set on building a house ? This could be your only option to do that in Ireland.

He has nothing to lose by being a p****. Be nice as pie about the boundary. Make sure you have the right info regarding it, Let him knock the wall and rebuild it on the correct line. Be exacting about where that is. Chances are he won’t be arsed doing that.

Is it public water ?

I could potentially get a site from my brother but honestly starting the planning process from scratch again sounds awful. We're renting with our kids for years now and it was difficult enough getting to this point. We just want a warm house and get on with our lives so ready to buy I think.

I also doubt he'd arsed for what he'd be getting tbh. Yes public water supply.

if it’s public water what does he expect to be paid for? Is there a water mains on the roadside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭just pete

Don’t be soft, stand up for yourself. Build your family home.
    He can’t stop your water from the mains. Boundary wall is different as mentioned before. Is it off by much? Will it encroach your development if it’s knocked and rebuilt?

Best thing to do is smile and wave at the bastard, that will drive him nuts and you never know he might crack and realise he can’t win.

Advertisement