Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fantastic interview there from Jack Wooley..

Obviously he's devastated.

Gutted for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭klr87

Apart from the golf, there are no more Irish in action until Adeleke late this evening, and possibly Wolley in the repechage of the Taekwondo.

EDIT: So predictably, RTE head back to the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

All the 5K fallers re-instated, so going to be a big field final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Of course they can improve at that age. The the right coaching & set up. Not sure why OP saying they can't be competitive at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

So now some golf: Leona Maguire is 5 shots back at +2 and also 'Leona Meadow' is seven over par' -- RTE commentators excelling once again. You would think some floor manager or editor would have a word in their ear and have the courtesy to correct themselves as they go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jack Woolley…

Sigh. Where to start…

I will keep it brief because he was well beaten today but -

My word - what the hell was he and RTÉ thinking by running those incessant ads hyping him up to beat everyone and anyone in his way to becoming our greatest sports person ever ????!

He heaped huge amounts of pressure on himself doing that promo.

And there he is, 5 minutes of one way action and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Maybe because he wasn't a clue about athletics

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭al87987

I thought it was a very close fight, great clash of styles. The BBC commentators made it sound like Richardson was cruising in the last, even though Verde looked a bit ragged, but I thought Verde landed more and deserved it.

I think boxing gets an even worse rep because most watch their national broadcaster, who clearly focus more on their own athlete, and the Commentators are nearly always amazed when they don't win/qualify (The Marty Whelan Eurovision affect!).

With 3X3 minute rounds, unless you are clearly dominant, the decision can easily go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What does all this mean for us non golfers. Is she doing well or what?

• Advertisement

Plus is bad, minus is good. In summary: Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,596 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do you do athletics, elite level athletics?

In races decisions have to be made. It's easy for the top five in the world to make decisions because they are not going to suffer greatly no matter the tactics.

If you are a 13 minute runner it's a hell I'd a lit different. You have to do what your mind and body tell you is the best thing to do. Sometimes you get it wrong, it's not the end of the world.

The couch potato criticising him in hindsight is ridiculous.

I'm an athletics coach and I ran at a fairly high level. I understand what these athletes go through and how difficult it is at the top level. You don't know anything about today. He might have made a bad decision, he might have had a bad day and felt he couldn't go with the faster pace.

He could have gone with the pace and it may have worked out or he might have burned out. I'd say he thought more athletes that went with it would burn out and it didn't happen. He was about two seconds away from qualifying, it was close. Just unlucky if he decided to switch off and come late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,811 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I wouldn't ordinarily watch synchronised swimming, but I seen this getting a lot of attention yesterday. Super impressive.

Team USA Perform to Michael Jackson's 'Smooth Criminal' 👯‍♀️🤩 | Synchronised Swimming #Paris2024

And also came across someone reposting this video of Katie Ledecky balancing a glass of chocolate milk on her head while swimming, again, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

thought the scorpion kick was gold winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Nermal

Indeed, we already have breakdancing. Why do we need breakdance fighting as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

You only make marginal gains at that age.

Just my opinion.

If Daniel Wiffen wasn't making it out of the heats, I'd say the same thing.

It's not a knock on them. It's a very competitive event.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,596 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rhasidat is by far the fastest athlete in her semi-final, hopefully she can win it and get a good lane for the final.

Only Naser has ever run faster but that time was very suspicious and she got banned for two years for missed tests a couple of years later. She's right behind Rhasidat so will know how fast she has to go but she's done nothing since returning from her ban last year.

Only Koch and Kratochvilova had ran faster than her time back in 2019. Both of those were never proven to be cheats but everybody knows the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,564 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah come on now. Your over doing the "I know more that you because" stuff now.

I swear you have played, coached and reffed every sport in the country. I've seen you at the same in the rugby and cycling anytime someone comes in for criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I agree that AI are a contributor to the issue although I'm not sure if it's for the very reason you outline. Yes many youngsters leave athletics but I don't know the %.that leave because there was a podium there. You can't really make any changes when you have the same people making the decision. This is a far bigger issue altogether. Thus only the 1st of the many many issues with AI. I've been involved in athletics for over 25 years and while I don't run myself anymore, I'm still involved with some athletes. In that time I've seen many many good people getting involved only to walk away saying "what's the point". I also have to add that my own county is one of the most progressive in terms of try to make change.. This is usually knocked back at national level.

We can see that at national level as well, the best senior coach in the country gets absolutely no help from AI, when they did approach him, to "help" it was to be on their term, and wanted to dictate what races the athletes ran. Just look back at the fiasco that was the fast miles race before Tokyo. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/row-over-belfast-athletics-meeting-sees-european-permit-restored-1.4576894

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Places to advertise these things are the creches. Get em in and hooked young.

An easy start for the government would be making swimming lessons a mandatory part of the national school curriculum. At the moment it's on the individual schools if they can fit it in. Being able to swim at even a basic level is a skill that every single person should have.

Any exceptional talents can get caught at the right age then as well.

• Advertisement

In the early 1990s after the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe, there was evidence uncovered on the East German doping programme which showed Koch (and many others) taking anabolic steroids according to a strict timetable. But there was no impetus back then to correct wrongs committed years before.

Kratochvilova is IMHO an even more incredible case than Koch, not breaking 53 seconds for the 400m until she was 27, and setting the (then) WR of 47.99 when she was 32, at the 1983 World Championships. She still holds the WR for the 800m, also set in 1983. While no clear evidence has come to light, it's inconceivable she was not doped to the eyeballs, as no other explanation makes sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Naser shouldn't be allowed run. You get caught or refuse/dodge testers you should be banned from elite level competition for life imo. Plenty of clean athletes to take their place.

That would be a good idea.

And I'd 100% agree regarding the swimming comment.. It's a life skill and everyone should be taught to swim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mens Dinghy race about to start on RTÉ..

Will need a monumental chain of events to have a chance of getting a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sailing really impresses me how it is more boring than Dressage. Didn’t think that would be possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I haven't a clue what was going on there in the dinghy race. Were there two having a little race just between them before the start and then when the start happened they had to come back?

I'm lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

And now it's the 'Dinghy' Final featuring Finn Lynch from Carlow, a county famous for its many Dinghy racing champions 😀

Once Again, the Professor on RTE is providing exceptionally detailed and insightful commentary while 99.8% of the viewing population has little or no idea what's going on. They've called a false start, the Aussie was throwing the shoulder into the Cypriot and they were on course to come to blows, now they've all reversed and having another go...

Edit: 5 metre scrum to Cyprus, play on!

Oops, sorry no I'm not a elite runner, but I reckon I'm not the only non elite posting on the thread.. So I'm sorry I didn't know I had to be an elite runner to have an opinion.. Well that's me told.

So you think it was the right decision to stay at the back of the field in the 1st 300/400m., fair enough

You are right in saying I don't k know anything about today.. "That he might have made a bad decision" Yes to me it was a bad decision…and of course he might have had a bad day.. Similar to the bad day he had in Rome where he ran an also identical race.

As. I said he's a 13 flat guy that ran 13.55. That on the face of it isn't great.

I wish you the best in your athletic coaching role, and your high level athletics career

Edit.. Just to add that I have actually toe'd the line in a few 5k and 10k runs over the year's. I hope this gives me a bit of kudos 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Both their world records may never be broken. Really any records from that era should be erased but I guess without proof, it's unfair.

Kratochvilova in particular had a ridiculous physique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

And has multiple friends and contacts from all corners of the world that happen to back up so many of his opinions. I always wonder where he finds the time to post so much given the above.

Advertisement