Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What does this have to do with it?

Youre trying to.find reasons to excuse racist, violent, thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

That's actually a silly comparison as we know the people in Gaza are oppressed. Your right though, we should try to open up a dialogue with them and if they don't engage in this dialogue then we can accept that they are just scumbags who destroy things because they think it's fun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It’s so easy to be in favour of immigration when you’re middle-class, because you’re not affected by it. In fact, if anything it slightly increases your quality of life.

But for working class people the absolute best outcome is neutral. In both the Uk and Ireland asylum seekers are being dropshipped into their neighbourhoods where there is already intense competition for housing. If this is ignored, riots will continue.

The murders of the girls were the actions of a deeply deranged individual and should not be attributed to the fact that he was Rwandan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Now think about that for a moment. You know the people of Gaza act violently because of some genuine grievance. And when I ask if the protestors and rioters have any genuine grievance, you say there's no need to even ask or try to find out.

There's no way you don't see the issue with that.

I've watched enough Israeli representatives who also tell us there's absolutely no issue and the Gazans are just doing it because they're violent thugs.

See above, I think the comparison is apt, but i agree we should at least be curious about what they have to say.

I'm Fine with immigration, I wish the government would build or facilitate more house building so more people can realistically aspire to own a home.

I wish the government would act to ensure the lowest paid people were much better paid so they can live a decent standard and not need government assistance.

I wish schools I poorer areas (or more precisely, areas with highest unemployment) were the best in the country try to break the cycles of low paid, unstable work or unemployment. So the people have a genuine way out of the cycle.

f i had to bet, id bet that would have prevented this resentment, anger and ultimately violence and we'd all be better off for it and they wouldn't dive a shyte about immigrants, just like most other people who are doing ok don't worry about immigration.

But I don't know because nobody is even asking the questions. I'm pretty surprised by the hostility to even being curious about what has lead to this violence.

• Advertisement

I.don't think the people of Gaza act violently, I think some people in Gaza are part of a terrorist organisation, which does indeed act violently. Hamas, aim to replace the Israeli state with an Islamic Palestinian state, so Israel act in defence of themselves. There is no simple solution.

Your post is simplistic when it comes to issues between Israel and Palestinians. And you make it clear, just which 'side ' You support.

The protesters have shown what their issues are. They are attacking immigrants and Muslims. Not sure how difficult that is to understand. There is no justification for racist violence. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's easy to be in favour of emigration when you're middle class because the immigrants they deal with constantly are high quality immigrants.

50% of the people on my floor in the office are from abroad and based solely on this you'd argue that immigration is not even close to being a problem as they are all talented individuals who improve the country.

Of course I'm not so naive to think that everyone who arrives here is as much a benefit as my colleagues in work are.

Not all immigrants are high quality immigrants but because a percentage are , some people want to close their eyes and ears and pretend that all immigrants are high quality immigrants.

In the summary of Gaza, is hammas' violence completely divorced from any genuine grievance and only motivated by a desire to replace isreali state with an Islamic one?

Asking with relevance to the protests/riots. Not wanting to get into Isreal Palestine.

Not even slightly related to.protests in the UK. Not similar. If You want to make excuses for racist thugs, go right ahead but don't expect others to believe your justification.

• Advertisement

Ok, In the summary of Gaza, is hammas' violence completely divorced from any genuine grievance and only motivated by a desire to replace isreali state with an Islamic one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ongoing media reports of x, y or z in Russia is "close to collapse" (yet somehow do not collapse) I regard as propaganda these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not the schools that's keeping them back, it's the family and the community and the hug a thug approach to crime. Irish schools are quite equally good regardless of area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Not on a par with some of the above discussions but I've drawn ire on my head by saying The Quiet Man is sub Darby O'Gill paddywhackery of the highest.

Fairytale of New York and Fields of Athenry are both depressing dirges.

I can only take your word for it in Ireland. I know the schools are very different in England. The postcode you live in is very important for both primary school and secondary school.

My office has closed at lunch because there's a protest/gathering/riot planned for this evening. And it's my work that caused me to ask the question.

We sometimes do "lessons learned" reports after something has gone wrong. They describe what happened, try to discover what caused it and work out how to prevent it happening again.

So far I've seen hostility towards even the suggestion of being curious about how we got here. And without knowing that, we can't hope to prevent it happening again.

There's a bit at the end of the movie Burn After Reading where the situation resolves itself and the intelligence director says "so what have we learned here? Don't to it again, I suppose. But fcuked if I know what we did to begin with".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭talla10

I would rather have immigrants who are prepared to contribute to society that the dregs of society who have never had a job for generations yet receive free housing, free travel, medical card etc and are a constant drain on our public expenditure. I'd never have thought that could ever be deemed a controversial opinion but here we are.

Postcode meaning the local community, yes, that's very important. Some postcodes engage in postcode wars, some are don't.

Not sure what you mean about postcode wars.

I mean the actual postcodes that act as catchment for each school. It's a huge factor in the trajectory of a child's life. We moved a 5 minute walk to be in a catchment for good schools. The schools in the catchment area we were living in were not good.

The primary schools act as feeder schools to secondary schools and that really matters in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Thought I might find some fun conversations in this about things like "Irish butter and Tayto are massively over rated" but no it's the usual immigration nonsense and debates about the middle east 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish butter is top quality.

Tayto is a poor crisp now, in a sad half-empty bag, just trading on brand loyalty.

• Advertisement

Lactose Intolerant so I'll take your word on the quality of our butter. They weren't my controversial opinions.

My main one is Carlsberg should be allowed drop the "probably" as it is the best beer in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wow. I can’t believe what I just read, but yet there it is.

It's the people, not the schools, that's what I mean.

Yeah that's a factor. The postcode can determine whether the schools spend their time tacking science or scallies. The impact on the education the children get is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've never met a person in real life that liked the taste of Carlsberg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I live in a country town in the west of Ireland, there is hardly any property for sale here, and we have loads of people from Dublin moving here competing for the houses for sale and for rent here, so the Dubs can sell a house for 600 k in Dublin and come to my local town and buy a nice house for 300 k and have 300 k left over, also we have people from America, South Africa, France etc moving here. we dont riot about the fact or even hold anything against them for coming here, we just suck it up and mind our own business, why cant they do that in Dublin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Nectar of the Gods. I know I’m in the minority, just have never got a real taste for any other beer.

Don’t get me wrong if it’s not available I’ll drink most other lagers but Carlsberg would always be my 1st choice in any off licence.
    In bars it can be hit and miss because I’m assuming the keg lasts a long time with little sales so will swap to another if it’s not a good pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I think most people would agree with that.

Very few people have a problem with highly skilled immigrants in any country.

The issue is some people think all immigrants are created equal (which like non-immigrants isn't true) and therefore we should accept whoever wants to emigrate here rather than having vetting procedures and only take in people who are likely to be a benefit to the country.We have enough homegrown scumbags and wasters so why do we have to import them also.

The issue is wanting to restrict immigration to only people who are skilled and will be an asset to the country has been deemed racist, fascist etc by a lot of people when it isn't it's just a common sense policy that the likes of Australia, Canada have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement