Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

No more outs, it's essential if we want a chance at automatic promotion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Leeds briefed the media this morning:

- £23m bid rejected from Everton for Gnonto.

- Interest in Rowe, Bueno and Lubijic.

- Interest in Rutter has gone quiet.

- Club refusing to rule out further sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think a bid for Rowe went in, at about 7m which I assume is just a low-ball to get something moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

This transfer window has not gone as I might have hoped. Fully expected Cree to leave, losing Archie was a blow but not unexpected. Getting a RB was important and signing Rodon was expected. Kamara is replaceable but we haven't yet done so. Aaronson and Wober were unexpected additions but I'm happy to give them another chance. What is concerning is that there is still a chance that both Gnonto and Georginho might leave. That would be a disaster. Even losing one of them would seriously weaken us. Rowe as a replacement for Cree would be a long long way off like for like so we cannot afford to weaken our squad further. We should really be adding to what we have now and not lose anyone else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

According to Kieran Maguire on a podcast the other day said that Leeds owe(d) £190M in transfer payments. Between that and PSR it would explain why we are having a quiet firesale at the moment. Just goes to show how we were living on fumes and supposedly the 22nd richest club in the world……

Rutter would be gone too, but the enormous original fee means it would need to be well north of £35M to make it viable for cashflow and PSR.

The deal with WH for Summerville was half the £25M up front (We wanted all of it) and the other half next year. WH "surprised" to be forced to agree to a non-disclosure agreement. That I don't understand. A lot of transfers these days are undisclosed and the fee never gets out or confirmed.

Post edited by whiterebel on

I thought getting wober back pushed Ampadu into Kamaras position?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Ampadu played in Kamara position against Valencia from what I saw. Very light in cover though in the event of a CB getting injured which is likely. Particularly given Cresswell and Cooper gone.

As GoldFour4 said, he's more of a replacement for Coops (plus Cresswell going means we're down cover here). Overall the squad looks weaker right now and any suggested signings sound inferior to what we have lost. The first 11 still looks strong but beyond that it's a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The only club in Englands third or fourth biggest city, and 20 years on from our financial turmoil, and we still never seem to have a pot to p1ss in. I just don't understand it.

Other clubs seem to have money to throw at players, all the money that's supposed to be in English football and we're supposed to be one of the biggest, but yet are perennially broke. And anytime we do buy a few players, have to have these firesales again.

Other teams can seem to get relegated, often smaller regional teams, and come back up with most of their squad intact, we go down and it's carnage, squad getting ripped apart and more financial trouble. It's a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

We are the second highest spending team in the division!

I dunno, always financial issues. Even when other's spend big, never seems to end in the huge firesales we always have to have. A club of our size should be able to spend big and be comfortable tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We have loads of money, that's not the issue. PSR/FFP is the issue. We need to sell to be able to buy because of that, not because we are broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Good to see Bogle up and running. It looked nasty at the weekend.

Even now we are living in the shadow of Radrizzanis and Ortas screw ups over a year later.

We could have got £40 million for Summerville, but ended up getting half that.

If someone deliberately set out to wreck the club, they couldn't have done a better job than those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

really? Don’t fans say that about every owner that leaves to be fair, not saying mistakes weren’t made but Iam sure there is more nuance to the situation that what you would believe. Will always be grateful for those amazing few years of getting back up and giving life back to the club.

Just a pity the greed got in the way of his decision making. He could have been a much richer man walking away after we finished 9th. The old saying is true: How do you make a small fortune in football? Start with a large one……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

But it was Radzz and Orta that got us Summerville and Raphinha for peanuts and sold at massive prices. If you're going to criticise them for all the bad you have to acknowledge the good they have done.

in other news I see George Mills is taking after his Dad Danny

https://x.com/eurosport/status/1821124761323246035?t=BQD-WNI0Yl9-y81OGgKMqQ&s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Squad numbers announced. We look a little light.

1 - ILLAN MESLIER

2 - JAYDEN BOGLE

3 - JUNIOR FIRPO

4 - ETHAN AMPADU

5 - PASCAL STRUIJK

6 - JOE RODON

7 - DAN JAMES

8 - JOE ROTHWELL

9 - PATRICK BAMFORD

10 - JOEL PIROE

11 - BRENDEN AARONSON

19 - MATEO JOSEPH

21 - ALEX CAIRNS

24 - GEORGINIO RUTTER

25 - SAM BYRAM

26 - KARL DARLOW

29 - WILLY GNONTO

30 - JOE GELHARDT

37 - JAMES DEBAYO

39 - MAX WÖBER

42 - SAM CHAMBERS

44 - ILIA GRUEV

50 - CHARLIE CREW

You'd never know the season was starting tomorrow would you! Bookies favourites apparently but then that counts for nothing.

I'm expecting Joseph to start tomorrow, the rest of the team will probably be the expected lineup assuming Bogle is fit.

I saw the below in the comments of an article in The Athletic, quite the eye opener when you see it summarised like that. We need a few signings in the coming weeks.

Out:

Summerville (£25 million)

Gray (£40 Million)

Kamara (£8 million)

Cooper (Free)

Shackleton (Free)

Cresswell (£3.8 million)

Anthony (Loan return)

Roberts (Loan return)

Klaesson (Minimal fee)

Roca (£3.5 million)

Llorente (£3 million)

Drameh (Undisclosed)

Dallas (Retired)

Ayling (Free)

Poveda (Free)

Koch (Free)

Bate (Free)

Kristensen (Out on loan)

Harrison (Out on Loan)

Gyabi (Out on loan)

Greenwood (Out on loan)

Perkins (Out on loan)

Ins:

Rodon (£10 million)

Cairns (Minimal Fee)

Rothwell (Loan)

Bogle (£5 million)

Back from season loans:

Aaronson

Wöber

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Joseph starting ahead of Bamford. Given the pre-season he had, it would have been harsh to not give him a chance.

First Portsmouth attack, 1-1. Bloody typical.

Meslier needed to save that. He should have been all over that.

So much pulling and dragging and holding from Portsmouth. Rutter going to lose his sh*t at some stage.

• Advertisement

typical Leeds that.

Beauty of a second goal in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's just all so boring really…season on season, miss chance after chance while opposition put away 2 from 3 chances

What is on the pitch is mid table standard. We need a centre back and proper striker who is clinical.

Rutter and Gruev would be dangerous if they could stick it in the net.

Portsmouth don't have that problem. As Ipswich, Leicester and Southampton didn't last season.

Meslier's reflexes are questionable for the first goal. A good keeper would have saved that.

Leeds fans are the most deluded on the planet. We need to smell the coffee. We are 4 players off a decent squad.

Another few games like this and the 49ers shareholders will be cashing in their assets.

Gnonto 2:2

Joseph could have made it 3 but bogged it over. Keep it on target.

Just typical. Bring back the euros

• Advertisement

Bogle gives away a pen. FFS.

3:2

We have stunk out the joint today.

But Aaronson has scored

3:3

Happy for Aaronson.

Absolute disaster. Game should have been done and dusted by half time.

Absolute joke of a decision by the referee, farcical

Aaronsen back with a bang

Another 20 chances for a return of 2.

3 from 3 for Portsmouth... season after season after season

Better than a loss but we need to do much better than this.

Hero to villain!

That late goal by the way doesn't cover up the cracks. We need to get the cheque book out now.

Last kick of the game and Aaronson misses a sitter.

As we were.

Don’t think we’ll see the checkbook out for more than one arrival tbh. I’d love to see an out and out striker brought in. Otherwise can’t see new arrivals other than if we have departures.

Think Aaronsen is going to shine in the championship tbh - can see him splitting a lot of time with James.

Good to have Aaronson back. Bit light but has the potential to be a quality playmaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Tons of chances created, referee somehow not dishing out cards, Gruev deliveries, first day nerves, 3 unexpected scorers, Rutter's ability. Disappointed, but chill. Long road ahead.

We have been trashing teams 1:1, 2:2 or 3:3 for the last two years.

Remember Huddersfield, Coventry and Rotherham last season.

Or battering teams and getting defeated. This is why we are in the Championship.

Portsmouth needed 3 chances for 3 goals. We needed 20.

3 issues:

1: Can't finish. Our strikers are crap. 2024 and Bamford comes on. Why????

Others hitting the crossbar three times. Not good enough. Joseph bogging it over the bar when it would be easier to score....twice. Not good enough, Aaronson missing last sitter. Not good enough.

2: Can't defend because our defence is always out of position. Bogle especially rubbish. Why were both Bogle and Firpo over the left side and nobody defending the right for the first goal?

3: Meslier not a great keeper. 23 penalties, 22 conceded. Crap on corners and set pieces.

Luton Burnley will be worth a watch tomorrow.

Performance wise, work rate and attacking was positive, I don't think any of the other games had a team performing like that. The trouble is we didn't keep a clean sheet because of two mistakes and a wonder strike. That was a great ball for their first as well.

I don't think meslier has improved a whole lot.

Bogle i think was targeted in that game, felt like he was always under pressure. Showed some good vision. If he wasn't under so much pressure I think he could have been better, but teams will target him more now.

Rodon seemed quiet booking was harsh i thought, Struijk did a job, firpo was grand.

Ampadu and Gruev were steady, decent pairing. Rutter constantly being held and dragged on and off the ball, very very frustrating. Gnonto was a threat and made some good runs. Think he will fill summervilles spot fine.

Joseph a big improvement on Bamford and Piroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

So many wasted chances it never ends …..Firpo's header after it came off the post annoyed me more than anything, he literally headed it back the full length of the goal to a keeper scrambling back to his feet, our finishing is abysmal the amount of times straight at the keeper is almost an impossible stat

I think going forward, to get the best from Aaronson, he should be trusted with pulling the strings in midfield, with the team built around him.

He's a gem of a player who hasn't proven his ability yet, but has a far greater potential than what he's shown, and when the best is got out of him, he'll be one of the top players in England.

He's light, but in patches you can see his brilliance on a technical level. Alot more to come from him than people realize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

One game into the new season and the same posters posting the same shite. No wonder they say that the championship is a test of endurance.

Yes I said when he returned that Aaronson could be the 8 that we missed last season. He certainly has the talent and ability. The one unknown is how he will cope with the physical side of things as we know referees are not great in the Championship and teams get away with more. But hopefully he can deal with that and be the difference this season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It was the first game of the season I think people need to calm down a bit.

The biggest stand out thing for me was Bogle. He looks good going forward but he was terrible defensively. Hopefully it was just a one off but we can't have two attacking full backs who don't know how to defend.

People are allowed give their assessment. Those people who you describe as "posting the same shite" were pretty much on the money last season with some of their opinions.

• Advertisement

MOD: Thats veering into backseat modding. The poster wasn't addressing you, and is also entitled to their opinion.

Advertisement