Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Be under no doubt that the very future of the USA is at stake in this coming election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's your basic problem:-

Kamala Harris is running against a guy who (as sitting president!) incited the January 6th attack on the US Capitol, and your principal concern appears to be that Harris is a bit fake or whatever.

I would say, as respectfully as I can, that your priorities are out of order.

There will be plenty of time to criticise Harris on her personality and policies after the most pressing matter of preventing Trump regaining power is addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

We heard that in 2016 too.

Trump would destroy the economy, cause WW3, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

To recap you have ignored everything written

I've expressed that I thought Biden was unelectable for a 2nd term. Plenty of others have done the same. You're attempting to claim that anyone who has done so has been "vilified", which is false.

Second, it's not "right" or "wrong", he could have stayed in the race, but it was considered too risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I know you’re trying to be disruptive, but can you please just get back to the topic in the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

Seems like a Trump supporter has given up on trying to defend Trump, that battle was lost long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Inadvertently they are.

Trump a felon, a sex offender, pathological liar, a racist is clearly the worse of the two candidates. So when someone fixates on criticising the other candidate whilst applying none of that at Trump it exposes their true position. Typically one they are attempting to mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Can't believe that White Nationalist Dracula is only 38.

Not me, you.

Spouting some nonsense about Maga, Brandon, Jesus Christ or whatever buzzwords randomly come into your head.

I am not MAGA, I never once mentioned Brandon on this forum so you are just up to your usual games.

Anyway Im out, Ive got better things to be doing with my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Trump set women's rights back, he buddied up with dictators, extorted leaders for his own personal gain and egged on a failed insurrection. All pretty terrible and this also damaged the US reputation on the international stage. Since then he's turned out to be a rapist and a convicted felon. You and some other posters want a rapist and felon to be the president of America.... That kind of man is only going to serve the whims of dictators and his own personal interest.

So y'know there's plenty of reasons to despise the man. In general I think rape is a good enough reason to view such a person as despicable. But you and others even try to downplay that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If Joe Biden had been in a coma, he'd still make a better president than Trump. Hell, JD Vance's semen stained couch would do a better job purely by the virtue of it being an inanimate object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The gas thing is, if they were honest, they COULD defend Trump. They all could.

The problem is they know if they are to be honest in their defence, they won't get any votes. The only reason being that the positions that Trump has are not popular positions.

*Women should not be equal to men.

*The white race is the top of the food chain.

*America should be a Christian nation first and foremost.

*Billionaires and the monied class should have more rights than average people.

*If you can't afford healthcare, that's your fault.

*If you can't afford childcare, that's your fault.

*There should be no such thing as an upwardly mobile society, or society as we know it.

*People should know their place.

*Trans and gay people are not real. They're sick people or looking for attention.

*Profit is the most important item. Everything serves profit.

The closest thing we've seen them comes to own this is the Project 2025 handbook, which of course, the campaign has distanced itself from as its immensely unpopular and batsh*t insane.

This is actually the most frustrating thing about arguing with Trumpers. They refuse to actually own the positions they believe in and constantly deny they feel this way because it is completely unpalatable and yes, very f*cking weird to believe this stuff in the 21st century.

Post edited by Flaneur OBrien on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Who Trump?

What had Harris to do with covering up his cognitive decline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ended diplomatic relations with Iran, used Ukraine as a political plaything, destabilised NATO, wrote love letters to his dear Kim, inflamed the Israel/Palestine situation….That all definitely helped avoid WW3….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Kamabla ? Joe is coming back ?…. Desperate stuff, I really expected better than this junk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

You seem to get confused on the fact that Dems don't worship their candidate in the same weird way as Republicans. Most would prefer someone younger in 2020 but he had a very solid presidency. I would have preferred he announced stepping back earlier but as soon as he announced he was rerunning it was going to be hard for anyone to gather support against the incumbent. I can have preferred options and still be realistic about the odds of candidates getting elected and nominated.

I supported him as the best option for Dems to rally behind as the incumbent. I was worried a campaign would be unable to shift away from Biden effectively but I was wrong on that one.

If via deux ex machina the Dems were forced to run Biden I would support him again but prefer if it was a different candidate.

Do you have similar issues with Haley and Cruz suddenly changing heart about Trump when they could no longer win?

Did you sleep through the Worst economic performance since the depression which happened while he was President?

And the conflict in the middle east was exacerbated by his pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal and his emboldening Israel even more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Heres the thing.

In both 2020 and 2024 , would it have been better all round if a younger more vibrant candidate was selected to run against Trump?

Absolutely , but in 2020 and until recently this year , the candidate was Joe Biden , who on his absolute worst days is an infinitely better politician and more importantly an infinitely better human being Donald Trump so there really wasn't a decision to be made on preference.

Do I think Joe Biden is capable of being President for another 4 years ?

Yes I do.

Do I think Joe Biden would be capable of winning the Election after the Debate performance and the media furore that followed?

No , I don't.

So , he stepped down (or agreed to the request/demand to do so) without causing a fuss and without kicking and screaming and dragging his party into a dirty fight that would have ruined their chances of winning the election.

He could have refused to listen and taken the fight to the convention and turned it into a utter sh!tshow but he didn't, again proving the measure of the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

So just to recap again. Some billionaire donors and other unelected people such as the Clintons and Obamas, removed the candidate of the Democratic Party that had been voted for by 14 million Democrats because these unelected people thought the candidate selected for the Democratic Party by a democratic process, by Democrats was too risky. That’s what you are saying.
    Explain it to me again.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Shoog

A dead skunk would do better, and smell better to boot.

Ah yes you are factoring Covid and 2020 into the figures which is completely disengenuous.

There is no point me even trying to reason with that sort of reasoning, or shall I say lack of reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't say it's disengenous at all. Every President has to deal with the events which occur before and during their Presidency. You can't tout "No wars started under Trump" when it comes to Ukraine and Israel and then "What the hell, you're counting Covid? That's completely unfair!"

Explain to us why Trump should not have to answer for his role in allowing Covid to spread and the impact that that had on the economy.

Like, you could argue about global conflicts that evolve over time, or similar when it comes to financial crashes that have come about after practices that stretched over 10-15 years.

But Trump was a very active participant in the management of Covid in the US. That's his, he owns it. He sought all the attention through press conferences and the likes, he put himself front and center on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

I hope you are correct. I just don't think Kamala Harris has enough to winthis race, especially after Biden dropped out. From what I remember of USA politics, a candidate dropping out and being replaced has never secured a win for that replacement... especially this close to the election.

Either way, I think Kamala Harris would be a safe choice for the USA right about now. A calm not going to rock the boat sensible politics with a background as a prosecutor could help fix the divide in the USA.

I had hoped that she had of chosen Mark Kellyz he seemed like a decent bloke, and him being an astronaut seemed to put him in a place where he is more rational and calm, attributes we need in politics.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Well, if that's true, Kamala should be hated and booed by the *checks notes* over 10,000 DEMOCRATS that were in the arena last night to see the unveiling of her VP pick.

Is that right?

Everybody knew it was the right thing for Biden to step down, including him after he had time to think about it. If he really didn't want to step down, don't you think he would have A: fought it through the courts? Or B: hung on til the convention?

Can you point out one democrat that is campaigning to have Biden as the presidential nominee? If it's as undemocratic as you allude, there must be some movement made up of democrats that have said, "We made our bed, we have to lie in it, come hell or high water".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

'Respecting the democratic process' is a very interesting approach for a member of the Trump fan club to go with.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Even if you don't count the Covid period , it was still the weakest economy in 50 years (only GWB had slower growth in the back half of his second term).

By every single economic measure the "Trump Economy" from 2017 to late 2019 was weaker on every single economic indicator than anyone you care to mention.

The one thing he was supposed to be good at, he failed at - miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Or, let’s put aside the preference, never mind votes of 14 million Democrats.
    If, in a months time, for some reason it is decided, again by unelected billionaire donors and unelected Democratic Party grandees, that Kamala Harris is unelectable, too risky, to quote another poster. Would you as a democrat (with large and small d) support the replacement candidate?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement