Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Ah yes, anyone who questions the volte face of Biden loyalists must be a Trump fanboy. Of course.
    Now tell us how a small number of billionaire donors deciding who the Democratic Party presidential candidate will be, against the votes of 14 million Democrats is, eh, democratic.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,389 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, they must be pumping the cokes and cheese burgers into intravenously.

Beyond weird.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some billionaire donors and other unelected people such as the Clintons and Obamas, removed the candidate of the Democratic Party that had been voted for by 14 million Democrats because these unelected people thought the candidate selected for the Democratic Party by a democratic process, by Democrats was too risky.

Biden wasn't removed by anyone. He decided not to stand as did Jason Palmer and Dean Phillips. Biden cited his withdrawal as being "in the best interest of my party and the country".

What we believe is that some senior Dem figures such as Nancy Pelosi spoke with Biden and told him that his numbers were falling (speculation is that his team were shielding him from the full details of this).

That some are looking to twist this shows how disingenuous they can be - is there that little to support the Rep candidate on?

Again, you're trying to suggest some conspiracy at work when there is nothing to suggest this.

Biden withdrew before he recieved the formal approval from the party. Harris now has that formal approval. Are you seriously suggesting that a second conspiracy will look to ignore that approval and have her turfed out?
    FFS 🙄

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

After the convention?

That would likely be illegal or at the very least legally very dubious - A bit like how Trump is now stuck with Vance regardless of how utterly awful he is as they have now been confirmed at the convention.

As with the Electoral college (and what prompted the January 6th nonsense) , Party Presidential candidate are not officially confirmed until the electors have cast their votes at the convention.

So , once we get past next week (the 16th I think) , barring death or serious illness the election will be Harris/Walz vs Trump/Vance.

But before that convention vote , they can do what they like (legally speaking) although it would likely be very damaging electorally.

But to answer your question directly - Were I to have a vote (and I don't) ANY Democratic party Candidate running against Trump and the GOP would get my vote and I would hope that a majority of US voters would do the same thing.

The growing influence of extreme Christian Nationalists in the current GOP should terrify people and anything and everything should be done to ensure that they do not get the opportunity to implement a single iota of their Project 2025 manifesto.

Given the US voting system, that means voting for the Democrats , no matter what name is on the ballot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The site is being borky, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and ask again.

Can you name me one Democrat with an ongoing issue over picking Harris?

If it's so detrimental to democracy as you are saying, there must be a sizeable underground gathering of democrats that are trying to overturn this, unfair and unjust coup of Joe Biden?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Two things can be true simultaneously:

There was, unquestionably, a massive pressure campaign by senior Democrats and donors to encourage Biden to drop out.

That pressure campaign (and eventual decision) was driven by a historically dire debate performance, nosediving polling numbers and a growing public consensus that Biden wasn't up to the job. The 'behind closed doors' scheming was driven by a very clear public reaction to Biden's performance and polling chances. And there was enough time for that fateful debate to actually change the course of the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Rawr

The energy around her ticket lately seems to indicate optimism and even a small degree of excitment about the Harris/Walz ticket. It's going to be a fight still, and their chances of getting the vote out appear to be improving more over time. That's not to say that's quarenteed to continue improving, but compared to the Trump/Vance ticket they seem to have talking points that resonate more and have a VP pick that doesn't reek of MAGA wierdness.

As long as they can keep this energy going and do at least an OK job in debates, they could actually win it. In comparison the Trump people seriously need to look at their strategy. If our own crop of Trump-fans are anything to go by, they've haven't got much to work on right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I was hoping for Kelly too and he definitely would have been a stronger pick but it's all to fight for and if for no other reason that those that you have stated. Trump has already given the orders for the destruction of America if and when he doesn't win. Kamala may not be everyone's ideal as Commander in Chief but what she does have is the ability to bring everyone together and that is all they have left.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Biden before he dropped out was 4/1 , Harris is now 10/11.

I know very well odds don't win elections, but for an event with such a large volume of money bet on it, it takes a lot to move the odds. It currently has just under €53M on the betfair exchange. Donald on the other hand is going the other way.

Things are going very very badly for poor Donald and team weird, and they know it. Anyone else who survived an assassination attempt only a few weeks back would expect to be rocketing in the polls and betting. Donald then choose Vance and it's all shite topped with more shite since then. Marvelous stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sure, everyone believes Biden had a long dark tea time of the soul and decided to step down.

Are you seriously claiming that all the political insiders and all the veteran American political journalists who reported donors threatening to pull funding unless Biden was replaced are wrong and you are right and MSNBC, CBS, the Washington Post, New York Times, etc, who reported this, are, like me are “disingenuously twisting” the facts?

Is that really what you are claiming?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/04/us/politics/biden-donors.html

Jason Palmer from American Samoa! Absolutely the same as a sitting US president who was determined to run, had expressed his determination to run in interviews, suddenly deciding not to run. How disingenuous can one get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

fixed

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

There are many democrats who take issue with it. I for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The party is allowed to choose their candidate however they wish, it's not in any way anti democratic. If they wanted to do an obstacle course and delegates voted based on the performance, that would still be legit. They chose a candidate that is clearly able to garner the support of the public.

Also, while donors pulling out was what broke the camel's back. Joe had lost the confidence of the party which is far more relevant.

Tbh, I'd find it much more concerning that so much of the public have deluded themselves into believing a rapist is a good person to lead the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You’ve said you haven’t been tuned in a while so your confusion is somewhat understandable. Except none of the people you mention have the power to remove the President of the United States, he left of his own accord. The race is now between Trump and Harris. In July alone, Harris picked up $310m in donations - not from “billionaire donors”, her average donation was $20. She also reacquired all of Biden’s released delegates, securing over 99% of the delegates as of Monday and is now the confirmed nominee. And for those who follow them, the polls and the bookies have both shown the inflection in the race away from Trump, toward Harris.

Basically what we’re getting here is that Trumpers, upset with how this is going, and unable to debate policy because Project 2025 is nuclear waste, are circling back on “but Biden” narratives almost 2 and a half weeks since he dropped out. It reeks of desperation from a campaign who has run out of ideas, screaming into the void about all the “Brandon” merchandise they blew all their money on. Trump simultaneously telling the media he’s too scared to debate her because “you know who I am you know who she is” while simultaneously going to his rallies and saying “we have to try hard to define her” - in essence, he’s having a nervous breakdown.

His supporters will still be crying about Biden dropping out for weeks after Harris has already won the election the way things are going. When are they going to pick themselves up by their bootstraps? Less than 90 days to Election Day and MAGA is still almost 3 weeks into “what the hell just happened?” If they blink much longer this is going to be a one horse race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yet to see a shred of evidence that Harris and Walz have low IQs.

Easy to say (if your copy pasting Republican propaganda) harder to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Hoop66

”against the votes of 14 million democrats?”

😂

Brőther, I have something to tell you: I voted in the primary for Biden, Biden got what, 95%, 98% of the vote? The Biden/Harris ticket?

This is not at all against my vote. What do you think you are playing at? The Vice President taking over for the President when the President feels they are no longer able, is their top tier role. Making a **** joke of yourself here.

• Advertisement

Is it not more concerning that a rapist and felon was the preferred presidential choice of millions of Americans to Biden, who seemed to only remain universally popular among posters on Boards who couldn’t vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Can you link me to their website, forum, or Facebook group please? I'd like to see how they're feeling after last night.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What I'm clearly saying is that your suggestion that Biden was "the candidate of the Democtatic Party" and was removed. Biden as I said was encouraged to withdraw but there is no evidence that he was "removed". In addition, he was not the candidate of the party because the party hadn't at that point made their formal decision.

I can't read the paywalled article you linked to but the headline would also suggest encouraging him to withdraw rather than having him removed. Maybe you can quote the sentence in the article that claims he was removed.

I'm suggesting that your claims are disingenuous because you are playing wiht words trying to suggest a forceful removal from the campaign trail rather than what actually happened - you are trying to twist the facts to suit a particular agenda.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think anyone is saying that - Of course donors saying "I don't think you can win so I'm not going to waste my money on your campaign" had an influence.

Just as the availability of Donors influence the decision to go IN to a political election in the US - It shouldn't be that way , but like everything else in the US the person with the most money usually wins.

However , the decision to step down can only have been made by Joe Biden.

Was he presented with information that the consensus was that he couldn't win and that major donors were not planning to fund him should he continue ? I'm sure he was , gathering the facts and the current landscape is a core part of a decision like this.

As I said earlier , he could have said "F*ck off , I'm staying in the race , let's see what happens at the convention!!"

That would have been a disaster all round and would have blown up the party and lost them the election and quite a few House/Senate seats.

So , Joe Biden after being presented with the all facts he set aside his ego and made a decision in the best interests of his party (and by extension the Country) and stepped down to allow his party to select and confirm another candidate.

Trump has only had less election against Biden, Trump lost. And realistically what turned election prospects this time was the debate. Prior to that, he stood a reasonable chance of winning. Anyway, it seems that you've moved the goal posts away from it being undemocratic to have chosen Harris.

Anyway, Trump so far seems less and less likely to win the election. A fair few posters seem to be in a mix of denial that Biden is no longer running and that Harris has fairly secured the nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

People go with whomever they have the most in common with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

there has been much talk of Donald getting people to take SATs and college exams for him, and I can't remember any denying of that talk. Donald is as dumb as a rock, vindictive and evil, but still dumb as a rock

Iirc, you're based in Ireland so are you claiming to be a registered member of the Democrat party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes it is concerning. It's very f*cking concerning. It's why posters on an Irish forum keep being engaged in discussions about it, because it is absolutely extremely concerning.

Though the idea that Biden only "seemed to only remain universally popular among posters on Boards who couldn't vote for him" is nonsense. Again, most posters here were concerned about Biden's age but would still support him as the candidate, just like millions of Americans were concerned about Biden's age but would still support AND VOTE FOR him as the candidate. Tens of millions of Dems in America still would have voted for Biden. The issue was those few who may be deterred from voting for Biden in swing states could be the deciding factor in the election swinging to Trump.

Now ask yourself why a rapist and felon would still be considered the preferred presidential candidate of Americans to Harris, because the answer to that is most concerning of all.

Advertisement