Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Comments

• Administrators, Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

I have asked Vanilla to take another look at this ticket. The development team are looking at this right now and follow a new avenue for the root cause of the issue.

Thank you for sharing the screenshots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,921 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It seems like same issue as before... page gets stuck until more posts roll it over onto next page. Theres approx 4-6 posts go into limbo during that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still happening as of this morning; mentioned thread is "stuck" even as new posts come in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also finally managed to make a video recreating the bouncing cursor. Only happens on mobile and not always. I'm gonna guess it's something with their rich text editor & resetting the cursor position each paragraph (but not always). So as I type the cursor jumps back to position 0 on the line, messing my typing.

Issue even happened in this thread as I typed this very paragraph; happens more often than it doesn't.

Can't attach MP4 files so here's a Dropbox link

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Administrators, Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

@pixelburp thanks for sharing that. I can add this to the ticket for this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

FYI: That Dropbox link seems to reveal your actual name.

Post edited by pixelburp on

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,183 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats also the same issue I have when using a Fire tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,903 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Notifications now not being removed on all my devices .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The TA thread just brought me back to last May, a good few pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Quite. But I'm also afraid that if I post it there it'll make the whole thread glitch.

Yes. Not dissing your issue just amused at where it occurred .

But none of this is funny anymore .

I have been reporting the same issues for months now as have all of us here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I don't think notifications have ever worked have they? Mine never seem to clear unless I click on Mark all Read and quite often don't show up at all. One thread I've followed for ages seemed to have gone dead but turns out after getting notifications for months if not over a year I'm subscribed but don't get notifications anymore.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Just posted this and instead of the notification clearing it added on 4 new notifications and tells me there are 4 new notifications for this thread when I'm the last poster.

Edit> Now only two actual notifications but counter shows 9 even on a refresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Some threads are coming up showing new posts 'Just Now' from (User A) but when you click into them there is no new post only the last from (User B).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,921 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The page is stuck on rollover. They are on the next page but the glitch stops that from appearing. When more posts are made, you will see those limbo posts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If you're on the mobile version, you just need to click on the bell, a list will appear and the notifications will go as soon as you click anywhere to close the list.

On a PC, occasionally use it on a mobile but then find I loose track when the notifications go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The "fix" made it worse. Previously, it would display an extra blank page even though there weren't enough posts to fill it. Now, it won't display the last page even though there are new posts.

This is most evident in the AH Olympics Thread. Currently, the last page is 203, with #6091 posts. However, if you query the API directly, there are 6 posts after #6091: https://www.boards.ie/api/v2/comments?discussionId=2058361151&sort=-dateInserted. Eventually, there'll be enough extra posts and page 204 will appear, but this is a substantially worse experience than before

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭corkie

The 'X' thread affected by it now!?

Strange I can actually quote the post here, but not see it in thread!?

• Advertisement

Mine used to work so maybe I have been spoilt 😉

The other issue that is still persisting for the last few months on Android is the splitting of words at the beginning and middle of sentences , like this ..

"Tother issue is stillhe"

and sometimes whole phrases disappear into the middle of the paragraph above where you have to go back and do some major corrections or the post is illegible .

I know others have reported this also but unlike the reports on missing pages , have not had any feedback as to why it is not being factored for a fix @Boards.ie: Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Keep having issue since yesterday of threads showing with new posts, but when I click into them there is nothing new there. But the indicated newest post (from bookmarks page) isn't visible.

Example:

This shows a new post from @ppb_1983 at 22:33 last night.

When I click into the thread, the last post available is from @Frank Bullitt at 17:00 (side note - why is the time in threads in 12 hour format but when looking at the list in 24 hour format?)

Currently showing 5 on the notifications bell. Only notification is for this thread and the post above. I click it and end up here (obviously) and then when I go to another thread or home page there are still 5 notifications on the bell with this page still an active notification. If I don't Mark all Read those notifications won't go. Chrome Win 10 Desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Its happening still on the Harris V Trump thread. Last time it happened was on the mega threads and we just opened new ones, which seemed to fix the issue.

Is it happening on quiet threads? Those with say less than 1000 posts?

Is it worth just starting new threads? Boards is completely unusable at present, and worst of all, I might end up doing some work if it's not fixed soon!

Would it be easier just not to completely delete a post? Can't it just be edited to "deleted post" or something so we keep the thread continuity?

I honestly doubt it's related to deleted posts, I think it might have more to do with post counting (on Vanilla's part), but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,941 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It seems to be that when you load into a thread, it jumps to about 8-9 posts previous when it loads in. The issue is that when a post starts a new page, it's still loading back to 8-9 posts previous on the page before and not showing the new page. If another post is made and you click into the thread, you're now 7-8 posts back on the previous page, another post made means it loads 6-7 posts back on the last page and so on.

So until 8-9 posts are made on the new page (which is slow to happen because nobody can now see the new posts they're meant to respond to in order to further the discussion) it's going to only load in the previous page and not show new posts.

The only way I can see to combat it is to post. If you see it happening, add at least one post even if it's not in response to the discussion, just to try get those 8-9 posts for the new page to finally be the one that loads. In a way it's spam, but it's the only way to currently combat the issue until a fix is found.

Could it be that jump back is to a post that no longer exists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭suvigirl

For God's sake.

New posts not showing on threads. Cursor still jumping around at the start of sentences.Last pages with no posts at all on them.

Are any of these things going to be fixed soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,941 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, I don't think so. On the Harris V Trump thread where this has been happening for the last 2-3 days, it's happened on every page, and always the same. You see on the front page that a new post has been made, go in, and it brings you to a post say 9 posts up from the bottom of the previous page and doesn't show the new page/post. A while later you see another new post has been made, and then it brings you to the post 8 posts from the bottom, then the next time 7 posts from the bottom and so on. It happens on every page and it's always loading you in about 9 posts previous (even if you're one of the ones who has been the last few to posts) until enough posts on the new page that you can't see have been made that it now loads you in to that page. You can't even manually change the url to bring you to the new page number.

So it's always loading you into the thread 8-9 posts before the latest post, but won't show the new page until 8-9 posts have been made on the new page.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement