Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thePigeon_

Oh ye of little faith 😅

I think we made some mistakes this year, but I don't think we're doomed to repeat them. I'd also say that even if the coaching team didn't change. But on the brightside we've got a fresh set of eyes in TB (and potentially fresh exposure to the wider squad for JN) during pre-season this year.

I think if I was a new coach coming in somewhere I'd immediately be looking for quick wins. There's a couple of really simple quick wins for a backs coach in Leinster, consistently pick a 9 who can actually pass the ball and a 10 who can pass while in motion.. Once that's done you can build from there.

Not to **** on guys but imagine running backline drills in Leinster training. There must be a huge difference running a move at 10 depending on whether you're getting the ball from McGrath or JGP. Similarly there must be huge contrast in timing and angles if you're playing 12 outside Ross or one of the others. SH may be an issue for Leinster but equally I think Gunne is the most hyped SH prospect in a good while. I'm backing the coaches to get this one right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

As a Luke fan, I agree he was very poor this past season. I can't see him starting many matches this upcoming season. The way I see it, Foley has a better pass and it's definitely more accurate. He's surely got to be backed in the URC?

Gunne will go to S.A on the E. I tour. Great opportunity for him.

Delighted with Coffey's inclusion with the academy. He is strong in most areas of the game. Good kicking game, good accurate passing game and I think a decent all around athletic profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭DelMcG

It wasn't just that Luke was bad last season - and he was terrible - it was that he got steadily worse as the season progressed & one thing that was striking about his performances was how slow he looked, in movement as well as in decision making. It was like he aged a decade in six months. Time comes for us all but jaysus, it chased him down like a juggernaut last term.

I will admit that early on, I wasn't sold on Cormac Foley. He seemed a bit hesitant & his box kicking was very sub par but he looked a different player when he came back from injury last season. He's rapid in broken field play (former wing obvs) & his passing is both crisp & creative when it needs to be.

I think because he missed South Africa, Jamo will start the season but Foley should definitely get the bench spot with a view to starting games when the player management regime kicks in for JGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Leinster trained in lansdowne road with lansdownes first team squad this evening. Open to public. Anyone go

would be good to see these things happen in all provinces more often..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lansdowne said it was happening on their socials.

Nothing on LRs though, so you'd have to be following the club they are visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

In the case of Lansdowne open training session I kind of get the radio silence from Leinster and I'd be one of their biggest critics about how radio silent they are (borderline disdainful to their own fan base at times)

However Lansdowne is an extremely accessible club for a large metro population. If the open training session is advertised and picks up steam, we could easily be seeing hundreds and possibly thousands of people hopping on the dart or the bus hoping to go along to it - schools are off after all.

Then it doesn't become a little open training session, it becomes an event, proper stewarding, possibly Garda presence and different insurance/ health and safety measures become factors.

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more on all that.

Have said it for years, season ticket holders especially, are really only appreciated at renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭durthacht

It's such a dull and generic kit. Slap a Bath crest on there and it could just as easily be them as there is nothing distinctive about it.

Maybe manufacturers want to keep them generic to keep their mass production costs down, but it's just a nothing effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Is there any major difference between the normal mens shirt and the pro shirt?

Can't see any reason to fork out an extra 50 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's just a tighter cut, isn't it? Might be worth it if you want to put on the gun-show. Could probably see your abs through it too.

I would be going for the regular, nice and loose fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I can't speak to the Castore cut but I've had a few of the Canterbury "test fit" jerseys over the years.

They're meant to be skin tight. I'd be a pretty consistent medium in most things but these had to be a large non-negotiable. I'd need to be helped in and out of a medium haha.

For training and general active wear they're great - even if it accentuates every part of my belly.

For sitting in the pub with a few pints, they're absolutely awful. They ride up something fierce - and accentuates every part of my belly after a few pints

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not just a tighter fit, it's a different material as well, I think they're stronger and better at dealing with sweat.

I have a few of them, they are really not comfortable to wear as casual wear.

Delighted the crest on the jersey is actually embroidered now and no iron on lettering for the BOI sponsorship etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm okay with the BOI bit being iron-on. I scraped some of it off on my hoody and now it reads 'Park of Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see Snyman pulled out of the Boks game with a foot injury. He's a great player, but I've no hopes for him making an impact at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lonester99

leinster only need him to make 2 or 3 impacts this season and thats in maybe 2 knockout games in europe off the bench to perhaps influence a semi or a finla in leinsters way, thats what hes being signed for, not to be a work horse Mike Trigg. Sprinkled in at the business end in a couple games is what they want. Granted a definite gamble but thats the one they made

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He only has to be better off the bench than Jenkins for a few games which should still be plausible.

Still think it's a generally appalling signing.

Appalling? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Presumably you mean Hayden Triggs, but that’s exactly who we should have signed.

Behind Ryan and McCarthy, both of whom will miss a lot of games, we have Deeny and O’Tighearnaigh. In that context, we needed a steady pair of hands who can do a medium job for 20+ games a season.

A perma-crocked impact sub wouldn’t have been high on my list tbh.

I presume when they signed RGS they didn’t know Molony would be moving on, but it’s a bad signing unless there’s a dramatic change in his performances and fitness next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

a Hayden Triggs signing would be great, he was a good performer at league level, nice and steady. RGS was signed for a different reason.
    I remember you when Triggs was leaving someone suggested he would be a good signing for Connacht and one or two Connacht supporters scoffed at that level of signing. He was a solid player and signings like that add a bit to squads.

People calling RG a bad signing and he hasn't even played or missed a game yet. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Wouldn't be using Jesus Christ as an example of a lad who's never injured / unavailable.

Big loss to Nazareth RFC when he ascended into Heaven / retired. "Don't worry lads, I'll be back" (famous last words eh ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder what the prospects of buying Josh Murphy out of the remainder of his Connacht contract would be if Leinster find themselves a second row short.

Yeah that's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭PMC83

Would you put money on him staying fit for the season? Or even for the business end of it? People are right to be concerned, he has an absolutely horrendous injury profile. We don't need to see him play any more games to see that.

Advertisement