Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thread closed.

Will reopen in the new year whenever there is something substantive to be discussed. PM me if anyone has anything worthy to discuss.

Edit: Sam Russell: I deleted the off topic nonsense and replies.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/142273/ring-road-hearing-expected-in-autumn

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/an-bord-pleanala-set-to-resume-consideration-of-galway-ring-road-project-in-september/

Some updates.

As ever, if the usual clownshow commences here I will close this thread. A reminder that the delivery of the M6 Galway City Ring Road remains local and national Government policy. Based on that we are remaining of the assumption here that the project will go ahead. Please no more existential debates on the project that have been done to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It seems clear to me that the project could benefit from a "dispensation" or "derogation" of some kind from the rules in the Climate Action Plan, by saying that other projects - if completed - would complement this one. But those other projects weren't in the original submission. And short of ABP randomly coupling other projects with this one off their own back, I don't see how (or why!) they can just "resume consideration" of the project, since the original documents were quite clear in laying out how/why it couldn't adhere to the Climate Action Plan.

I think we can all agree (whether in favour of the project or not) that ABP's original "consideration" wasn't done right. But they approved the project nonetheless. Their "consideration" was completed and they actually tried to defend it up to the steps of the court. You'd wonder what their "consideration" is actually worth at all.

I know it's a lot of money but it seems obvious to me that they should have just coupled the sustainable projects with the ring road project the way the NM20 team did and present it as an overall.

I have no doubt the project would still be challenged through the courts by landowners though. But at least they could stand over it in terms of the Climate Action Plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Adding something like the N20 transport hubs might tip the balance of this scheme, but as I understand it, there’s no option for a redesign to be submitted here - it’s just ABP having another look at the existing plan, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭flatty

Another point that nobody seems to be considering is just how much extra co2, nitrous, particulates and other noxious, harmful and global warming filth is bilged into the atmosphere as cars sit in hours of standstill traffic trying to get over the current bridge.

A ring road would be a huge net positive for the environment.

• Advertisement

Iirc, the last time it was thrown out on a technicality because it was submitted a day or two late?

No. I'll try not to provoke or irritate anyone, but ultimately, the design and its associated documentation did not take the Climate Action Plan into account, and they chose to not try to defend it. Possibly worth going back through this thread a bit for the detail (I appreciate it's a very long thread with a lot of bickering in it).

But they took it to the steps of the court and then backed down with a mealy-mouthed "we didn't think the regulations would be applicable because they were new". I don't know the inside story but I'd assume they had a lot of the design or documentation done by the time they heard about the Climate Action Plan and didn't revise the design or documentation to suit because of the cost/effort of doing so.

That's a much more concise version of what I was attempting to articulate! I think they plan to resubmit all documentation, so it's possible they revised some of the documentation. But I certainly read it as "ABP having another look at the plan". Hence my asking what ABP's consideration is worth at all: they basically rubber-stamped it without looking the first time around, so why would they do anything different this time.

Massaging the design with sustainable transport schemes would likely work I agree.

I reckon they're going to try and throw in a paragraph saying "other projects done by other people using other budgets elswehere at a vague non-binding date under the GTS will counter-balance this one" but that would be a hard sell. Everyone would see through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yes - existing plans with revised projection usage no's based on EV take up. Am pretty sure the MODAL share stuff is not changing.

This has always been a big weakness with this overall project. The so called "freed up space" that the local politician's now go on about that there are no concrete plans for.

The two Council's are now trying to shoehorn elements of a so caled 2016 Galway City Transportation Study into the equation - but they have done SFA since 2016 on implementing basic elements of this 2016 Galway City Transportation Study so as "hans aus dtschl" say's everyone on the ground in the City can see through that lark.

We have just had a decade in Galway City when NOT one extra meter of Bus Lane in the City was built since 2013(when the GCRR was announced). Parkmore Inbound Bus Lane will open shortly out on the County Border at Ballybrit but its a marginal improvement scheme on public transport front and there are ZERO cycle facilities as part of it - if anything has made it more difficult to access the IDA Parkmore West and East via bike.

As a cyclist from the west of the river, the bypass would make the roads an awful lot quieter and safer for cycling without any further plans. It's amazing that you can't cycle from moycullen, into town and then salthill on a segregated bike track though. It's wrong really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

On that contrary moycullen/Barna/spiddal would all be worse to cycle from with less traffic as the traffic that still uses the roads will be faster.

Right now you'd be cycling past stationary cars morning and evening because jams are that bad at rush hour.

Agree for a decade or two at least that would be case until INDUCED Demand filled it up again.

For example just to take the N59. if there were real plans for the wide N59 carraigeway to be narrowed and have 2m raised cycle tracks along it all the way to UHG, Thomas Hynes Road and Dangan to the County Boundary (out the Clifden road ) that kind of thing (and plenty of other examples like this) would have certainly helped sell the GCRR back a decade ago. Should have already happened on the N59 Thomas Hynes Road by now considering proximity to University as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The amount of CO2 released in concrete production is massive. And then you need to factor in all the other things needed to build the road. All the building material produce massive amounts of toxic chemicals during manufacturing. And think about all the heavy machines that'll be needed. They'll produce orders of magnitude more co2, etc. than a modern car. There's also the impact to the landscape from such a big project. Think about how much runoff is going to go into our water and particulate pumped into the air.

I haven't looked at the numbers but I'd bet that if we built the road and instantly abandoned all cars for PT, cycling, etc., it would still take a century or two to offset the environmental impact of building it.

Back on the topic of the resubmission, I'm betting the council will paint it in the same light of being beneficial for the environment by ignoring as much of the (environmental) cost of construction as they can and overstating the predicted uptake on electric cars (which I believe is far lower than previously expected).

The roads are so narrow that you can't get past. I generally go over the hill anyway and it's bedlam on a one lane road.

The fewer electric cars ironically, the greater the benefit.

By your argument, you should just stop building houses altogether. Given that won't happen, and house building is massive all over the suburbs, there has to be roads to service them.

A hard shoulder the whole way in would be plenty, on that stretch from Killeen house as far as dangan, from which a dedicated cycling path should be run into town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nobody cares about any of this. People just want the Ring Road.

It will remove extraneous traffic heading north and west of Galway and it will enable improved public transport and active travel options within the cordon of the RR.

Private car traffic between the Canals in Dublin has fallen by 35% over the last 15 to 20 years.

If you don't think that could have happened without new public transport options AND the M50, then you're off your rocker.

It shall be no different for Galway City.

I absolutely agree, and say this as someone who mostly cycles. The current situation is absolutely mental imo. Massive increases in housing across the west of the river, and most of the industry on the east. No reliable bus service from moycullen (well it's reliably unusable) because it just gets stuck in traffic, and hence is too late to be of use to most commuters, who then drive instead.

I believe it would make a huge positive difference to the city and the vast majority of inhabitants.

Having said that, a segregated bike lane should be built right now. Looking at you Greenway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Completely false equivalence and bad faith argument from you there. I'm responding to your claim that the M6 would would "have a huge net positive for the environment" which is a crazy claim to make. I'm not against building things at all. But large infrastructure projects requires massive energy and have massive environmental impact. Far more than some cars idling in traffic. We should be picking the projects that give the best ROI and they should fit into a larger plan. We should be building houses on the west of the river but they should be in planned developments that are structured around proper transport and support infrastructure. Not just thrown stuff up wherever a developer can put an acre or two together.

We can disagree on if the M6 is a worthwhile project or not. But if you're looking for "huge net positives for the environment" then this kind of thing is a dead duck.

I'm responding directly to the claim flatty made so clearly they care if they've 1) thought enough about it to come up with that claim and 2) care enough to go on a message board to talk about it.

And then there's ABP. They seem to care. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Kinda the root of the problem for the M6 at the moment.

No need to try and hijack that discussion to shoe horn in the same tired talking points that I'll ignore so the thread doesn't go the way it usually does.

• Advertisement

Yes it would make a big difference but on its own it's kind of a sticking plaster or time bomb. Exact same as the M50 and N40. Yes we need them. But they are failing to function because of excessive commuter use. That's not my analysis of it, it's the TII's.

I'm not against this road at all, but by not coupling sustainable schemes with it (or by trying to couple distributor function with bypass in general!) they're dooming the project to a failure from which recovery will be a more difficult. People will choose the easiest transport mode (the only mode being facilitated) and the numbers will grow, to the point that the mode is no longer the easiest mode.

A simple one for you with my "crayons" out: even straight off if they said that part of this project would see the current N6 reverted to a distributor with pedestrian/cycle/bus/car each side, the whole thing might be possible to sign-off overnight as a sustainable infrastructure scheme. The additional costs probably wouldn't even be that large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

People keep talking about An Bord Pleanála as if they are like some supreme council of the elders.

Nobody elected them to anything, and if its their rule books that are blocking the economic development and environmental improvement of of this Country, then its up to the Government to change the rule books.

The sooner Eamon Ryan is swept away the better, for starters.

What on earth are you talking about? In your rush to criticize your preferred "villains", you've picked on some who actually approved the scheme! Save that shock jock stuff for facebook.

The scheme failed because the project team made a mistake. It wasn't some minor technicality, they tried to ignore legislation "because it was new". The scheme isn't currently being held up by greens, nimbys, etc…YET. It's being held up because the project team didn't resubmit yet.

And as an aside, plenty of us here think it might be subsequently held up by greens, nimbys etc when the project team resubmit because we expect them to resubmit more flimsy documentation. Blaming the greens, nimbys etc if/when that happens will be like blaming the police when you get caught speeding. Why not just do it right!

Edit: in terms of ABP being "like some supreme council of the elders", I'd settle for them doing their job to be bluntly honest. Because they've been caught rubber-stamping so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why aren't the Galway BusConnects corridors being built already? There's not even any info on the busconnects website

Afraid it might actually work?

The Bus Gates could be done pretty quickly on College Road and Salmon Weir Bridge if the will was there.

Would certainly help improve scheduling and reliability of public transport in the City.

Advertisement