Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Nectar of the Gods. I know I’m in the minority, just have never got a real taste for any other beer.

Don’t get me wrong if it’s not available I’ll drink most other lagers but Carlsberg would always be my 1st choice in any off licence.
    In bars it can be hit and miss because I’m assuming the keg lasts a long time with little sales so will swap to another if it’s not a good pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I think most people would agree with that.

Very few people have a problem with highly skilled immigrants in any country.

The issue is some people think all immigrants are created equal (which like non-immigrants isn't true) and therefore we should accept whoever wants to emigrate here rather than having vetting procedures and only take in people who are likely to be a benefit to the country.We have enough homegrown scumbags and wasters so why do we have to import them also.

The issue is wanting to restrict immigration to only people who are skilled and will be an asset to the country has been deemed racist, fascist etc by a lot of people when it isn't it's just a common sense policy that the likes of Australia, Canada have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Same problem where I live, thats what im saying. But we dont tear the place apart and attack the Guards who are just trying to keep the peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,569 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't doubt any of that, but the problem is lack of housing, not the people who want to live there. Doesn't matter where they were born or their ethnicity.

ThThe government needs to build houses. It's not just a nice thing to have, it's become a matter of national security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It was nice in the late 1980s when I started underage drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭suvigirl

We have the same immigration policies as Australia and Canada, except we also allow UK and EU citizens. Skilled visas, refugees and asylum seekers.

I think Australia has similar with New Zealand citizens.

Yeah. It's a government problem to build the infrastructure for the people that are here. Doesn't matter who the people are. The problem is lack of housing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Allinall

The Russians should have been allowed take part in the Olympics. Their athletes are not at war.

The medal table is completely skewed because of their absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Cordell

They were allowed as independent athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Many of them are open advocates for the war and Russia will claim them as theirs.. So nope, the original reason they were excluded was doping iirc. The current situation is far more serious so I'd agree with @Allinall .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

90% of the Fleadh is diddly-eye rubbish. People trying to outdo each other by showing how perfectly Irish they are. Future teachers. Its the one music genre that gets tiresome very quick.

And the good 10%, having pints with mates, is ruined by how busy everywhere is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't know if there is a segment of Irish society (bar 2-4 year olds) with a bigger sense of self importance than those trad musicians who come into pubs after you do and expect you to stop chatting and join in with whatever they're doing.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Cordell

That aussie b-girl (or b-lady) deserves all that criticism and ridicule she's getting, for her ... performance and her mickey mouse PhD and studies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ben and Jerrys is awful muck ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭randd1

They are, as independent athletes who pass rigorous drug tests.

Russia were on a warning from the IOC long before they started the war in Ukraine for their state doping programme, and so many of their athletes had received bans for drug offences that they were going to be banned anyway.

Plenty of countries engaged in wars compete in the Olympics, Russia's dismissal was down to the doping.

Incidentally, once the World Cup was over, FIFA and UEFA swiftly kicked them out of the soccer scene the first chance they got, which was the Ukraine war. Russia went from unfit also-rans in a poor Confederations Cup in 2017 to energetic performances to a World Cup QF's in less than a year. They were quite clearly doped to the gills, plenty of opposition teams commented on it (the Spanish most ironically), and were hit with everything as soon as possible before it all came out.

A state run doping institute is what's keeping Russia from the Olympics, not any moral thinking from the notoriously immoral IOC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It was embarrassing but shes knows that. She has an army of "you go girl" champions now that she'll milk for millions. It is wholly partronising but it's a game so many play now.

Post edited by ShagNastii on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

She's playing the bullying card now - ridicuous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Ben and Jerry's video adverts were crap too

In one of them was shown a burnt out ice cream van they started their business bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Was going to comment on the Aghamore shooting thread.

I would value anything within my property boundry. House, contents, family and even pets above the life of any scrote bag burglar.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement

We are in the golden age of female pop music.

In fact, the current three big hits from Sabria Carpenter, Billie Eilish and particularly Chapelle Roan are some of the catchiest/emotive songs I have heard in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Charlo30

I've never heard of all 3. Does that mean i'm not down with the kids🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The kids singing "up the RA" and the parents of those kids are an embarrassment to the country.

Teaching kids what is basically a dogwhistle approval of terrorism. Nice.

No wait, it's actually a full on endorsement, beyond a dogwhistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/live-bbc-ni-broadcast-cut-short-after-children-heard-shouting-up-the-ra/a2144471207.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

They don't even understand what they're singing beyond the fact they know it annoys others.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

The ENSH/TIFICATION of Dublin City continues a pace with ever more postage stamp sized stickers on lamp posts along the lines of " Celebrate EU Support for Palestine!!!! " and graffitti stained vacant shop fronts.

I don't expect them to know the entire history of NI but they are hardly toddlers and did not lick this off the stones. One of them must have heard the presenter's accent or saw BBC and decided to be a troll.

If the shoe was on the other foot, little kids singing about marching through Fenian blood or chanting right wing slogans it wouldn't be so much "craic" then. I say good luck with this reunification business if this it what people think is fine to pass onto their kids.

There's a portrait of Michael Collins by Jervis with a quote of his I like "Give us our future, we've had enough of your past".

It's painted over in red gloss with "Traitor" - guaranteed by some brain dead scrote who couldn't tell Tom Barry from Thom Yorke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭Suckler

Unless we can unequivocally agree that to stop this type of 'craic' we're just highlighting to everyone that we're not ready for a United Ireland in whatever shape it may be.

That's odd, it's more fashionable to hate on Dev.

• Advertisement

We'd have been a Big Fella household to be fair but yes, Dev did get a lot of grief not all warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

With good reason. Dev was a dreamer who did more harm than good for the country.

inspired by another thread on the site, I have no issue at all with inheritance tax.

If you get left money by someone, it's free money, you have done nothing to earn it, paying some tax is nothing to complain about when receiving free money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭cms88

Republicans or whatever they like to call themselves are always very quick to call out others for things they have no issues with doing. The line ''Always the victims never your fault'' comes to mind.

Read some of Collins' musings. If you didn't know any better you'd think it was a rip off of Dev's "comely maidens".

When the Ardnacrusha project was put to Dev - he replied, “what would we need all that electricity for?”
    🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The person leaving it to you has paid tax on it already though - it is theirs and they are giving it to a person of their choosing. It is akin to someone paying for your lunch, but then you having to go in and pay again.

All money has tax paid on it. It's not the money that pays tax, it's the person.

If the person lives, no more tax is paid, if me (or whoever) gets money for nothing, then I have no issue paying tax on that free money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Harika

How about a compromise? the person who inherits pays the taxes and the one who gave gets the taxes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I think a United Ireland would be a disaster for those in the 26 counties and hope it doesnt come to pass.

We love to talk about how the Irish built England, but we fail to recognise that if it wasnt for English jobs, and the "Queen's pound" coming back to these shores, huge tracts of western Ireland would have been completely abandoned. On that note, the worst treatment many of those people faced came about when working for Irish people in England.

Rugby is not what it is cracked up to be and any parent encouraging their kids take it up would want to take a look at themselves. It is getting more and more dangerous.

Athletics and many top level sports are absolutely riddled with performance enhancing drug use. The tests simply cannot track it if done in the 'correct' manner. Elite level athletes are generally highly self-oriented people who will do just about anything to win, if they think they will get away with it. All you have to do is look at how TUI's were abused in cycling to recognise the culture that is out there.

On that note, lionel messi's medical application of human growth hormone was taken over by barcelona's doctors when he was a child. Around the same time, numerous spanish teams (barca included) were working with doctors who were found to have been running doping programmes. The spanish government took the decision to destroy all the evidence without disclosing any of it. I think messi was probably doped in a similar way they used TUI's in cycling, and that a pile of top spanish footballers were protected by their government.

You know summer is drawing to a close. I see its the annual mammy's complaining about lack of school bus services for their children, certainly on local radio anyway.

If getting the kids to school is such a problem, surely a few of the parents could band together and arrange a private mini-bus or whatever. We did it 20 years ago when availability wasn't the same as it is now. Easier to take to the airwaves to complain I suppose.

If its not that, they are complaining about the cost of uniforms/school books. But when you break it down, and budget appropriately, its not that big an expense, especially if you are willing to forego your own luxury purchases (online shopping and the likes) for even a week.

All want, want, want and no resolve through adversity any more.

Absolutely. We pay lip service to the idea of meritocracy, and inheritance is the exact opposite of that. It's inheriting someone else's merit.

We wouldn't accept someone saying their mother had a PhD, so they can inherit a masters degree. Or their dad worked for 40 years as a plumber so they can inherit 20 years plumbing experience.

Some people work 30 years to own a house and others just inherit a house. It's a bonkers distortion of meritocracy.

If you're enthusiastic about inheritance, that's fine, but you need to accept you're also opposed to actual meritocracy.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

It's very funny when people who's only knowledge of Collins is from a highly inaccurate movie, give Big Mick 21st century values and saying he'd save us all from the clutches of the Catholic church if only he had lived.

Collins could hardly have done worse than Dev with regard to the church??

Nobody should be allowed to stay in power as long as Dev (21 years as Taoiseach, 14 years as President). This is not good for any country as mistakes get multiplied over time.

He couldn't have done any better.

Mick was a good Catholic boy who said his prayers too. If he lived it would have been him kissing arch bishop's rings, not Dev.

The last laundries closed in the oh-so-enlightened 1990s, long after Dev shuffled off.

Dev wasn't a dictator who seized power. People voted for Dev as President. Democracy is a bitch, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's more akin to having to pay for tax on the gifts at your own wedding.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭cms88

As i've said before parents love nothing more than complaining about being parents. They chose to have kids yet many will make out they were somehow forced into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'd nearly suspect the scrote got mixed up between The Big Fella and Dev.

• Advertisement

I have a kid, I complain about it sometimes but it's just blowing off steam. Parents all love being parents really. It's very hard work but very rewarding.

Advertisement