Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2024

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,674 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

long term EP'er here, first time ATNer. my thoughts on last weekend seeing as im coming back to normal now.

we arrived lateish on friday (around 6ish), and got caught in that rain bringing our gear from the car park to the boutique camping site. Dragging drink for 5 people in a toby truck was difficult enough work through the car park field, and path was getting muddy at that stage. However it wasnt the worst distance to travel, and soon enough we were in and brought to our belletent. the set up in the boutique site is very good and id absolutely be doing that again, all our crew are in the 40-50 age grade. We could hear and see Declan mckennas gig from the main stage while we got set up. Food was first on the list and the tikka masala from kerala near the big wheel was absolutely delicious, and perfect set up for the evening. New to the site we decided to do a bit of exploring. The crowd and the music coming from TBL8 Brass in the schweppes Born Social area was the first attraction, great craic was had, with delicious cocktails. some more exploring and then over to Lovely days for confidence man. we were there early but the crowd got so busy it became uncomfortable as the began so we dropped back to the edge and only caught the first song. not my kinda thing anyway. cant really remember who else we caught on friday night, apart from stevie G on the band stand i think. Back for some well earned sleep, but jesus friday night was cold!

saturday brought sunshine and heat, perfect antidote to the cold friday. cans cracked open and in we headed. the access directly from the boutique to the main stage is just excellent. We went back down to the bandstand area for food, and got the most delicious "sausage box" which was filled with fried potatoes, sausage, and your choice of gerkin, salad, sauce slaw etc. it was so filling neither myself nor my wife could finish the whole lot. we headed over towards the main area as OTA were my main "must see" if the weekend. Dublin Gospel choir on the bandstand stage were very good and had the crowd up and dancing. We stopped into global roots to check out Zoe Basha, lovely chilled bluegrass blueszy tunes. Over then to overhead the albatross in SKOW who absolutely melted heads! They were tightAF as always and everything turned to 11. The others in our group who didnt know them were well impressed, and one of their new songs, Your Last Breathe, was the highlight for me. Ive heard 'time' before, but it never ceases to be impressive, and that view of the great dictator giving that monumental speech on those big screens to that wall of sound is something ill never forget. Amazing! Then caught a little bit of le boom before going to the main stage for the mary wallopers, who did not disappoint. They're still essentially a pub band but theyre riding high on their popularity and more power to them. Hung around for a while then for the national who again completely nailed it. They started a bit slow but bloodbuzz ohio was the start of a much better connection between matt and the crowd. They completely smashed it out of the park and while theyre considered sad-dad rock, ive never found them anything but uplifting. We headed back to the tent with KKK banging away in the backgound, haven seen them lots of times before.

sunday was to be the big music day. back down top the bandstand for food again, catching the hit and miss tommy tiernan. a toasted hombre sourdough sandwich was the perfect breakfast. We were there early for the dolly show, and got the word that she was delayed, so we made out way down to the wellness area to catch the glasshouse ensemble do some works by sakamoto, mc'ed by louis duffy. they were magical and someone id go out of my way to catch again. Heading out top the londis for ice we came across the last city stand with playback doing the 'stop making sense' album by talking heads. That was a great find for a singalong and bop along to THs madness. Back over for the wailers bringing the good vibes on the main stage, only grip i suppose was the lack of very early wailers tunes, but i guess the crowd got what it wanted. i think they did play a couple of earlyish songs in 'stir it up' and 'get up stand up'. Pretty sure we then went back down to the band stand for the dolly show, who was quite good in her reproduction. Again not my cup of tea, but the crowd loved it. Over again to the main stage for future islands who i was very impressed by. Id prefer to catch them at a smaller dedicated show though, and get the full impact of Sam Herrings frontmanship. Another trip then down to hidden sounds to catch muireann bradley who was beautiful, such a talent for one so young! some more good food from the Venezuelan food truck and then over for the prodigy. ive seen them a few times at this stage, the first time about 2009 in the point, and maxim is still doing his "where are my warriors" schtick. they felt flat to my ear, and the abrupt ending just after the outer space intro was just weird. its like they were told to get off the stage at 12:00 sharp. That was it for us and back for some well deserved r+r.

pros:

the whole place was busy, but never felt like it was too busy. apart from confidence man i never felt like it does on a sunday in EP. Its a gorgeous site, well laid out and plenty of nooks etc and seating if you need it.

the food:

was great all weekend. Ive no problem spending between 10-15€ for decent food twice a day, and this is made much more palatable by the next pro.

free flow:

what a absolutely fantasic thing for a festival. as has been mentioned already, it allows for people to come into the festival site early and chill and have some cans. This beats loading up in camp sites before hand and being smashed at 3pm. This also has the advantage then of keeping the camp site fairly clean (well the boutique area anyway, it was very well kept). i still spent a good bit on pints, as the guiness was delicious, but that was completely by choice. Never had to queue for a drink all weekend as well is a plus point.

the music:

such an eclectic mix. i was a bit apprehensive that it would be EDM / dj heavy but there was more than enough for all tastes.

organisation:

cannot fault the travel into and out of the festival by car. campsite was well prepared, clean, organised and helpful. mens showers were very easy to access, but they could have done with and 100% more female showers. either that or some girls need to shower quicker?

of course, this thread and the whatsapp group as well, for keeping up with recommendation tec

cons:

not much to be honest. the walk from the bandstand (lowest point) to the main stage (highest point) is pretty tough on the calves and knees, but its to be sucked up. While the site is rolling, its not too expansive.

some stonework underfoot was loose and i can see how some people went over on their ankles. similarly after a great week, some areas were soft underfoot, so i wouldn't like to see what it was like after a weeks rain beforehand. not sure what the organisers can do about this though, they have laid hard surface paths in certain areas.

all in all a highly enjoyable memorable weekend, and definitely plan to do it again next year. completely no EP fomo anymore.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Ah yeah that'd be grand alright. Folks like to have a laugh and a few cans at the tent during the day and when they return in the wee hours. Though normally when i get back it's straight to bed for me these days. In saying that, if RITW is good i might be spotted dancing around my tent 😀

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ah lads, loving all the positivity for this thread, I didn't realize it was that good 😂. Time to get going with ATN 25 so 🤠

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Rfrip

raging I can’t go next year and as @sydthebeat said no more EP fomo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭antfin

A quick question for anyone who stayed in boutique, but very important as it might influence my ability to get my girlfriend to go next year, what are the toilets like in boutique? Are they generally the same as the portaloos in the main arena or better kept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I won a competition for one of the poshest of the podpads. Likewise my missus isn't a fan of roughing it and it was her first festival experience. Lockable door and a couple of single beds in a teepee like place.

Toilets were portaloos same as the main area (which were relatively clean all weekend) and the showers were fairly rough and ready.

I didn't mind it but comparing it to the bread and butter camping I really couldn't see what you'd be paying for in term of a real premium offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well just landed back about an hour or two ago and had my first shave in a week. Highlights for me, Floating Points, Future Islands, Slowdive, The Murder Capital in the small Jameson Circle stage and Rachael Lavelle the following day, I loved the Ealli le gra stage area some serious bass music coming from there, Ben UFO in the Arcadia, Maribou DJ set in Lovely Days, The Prodigy from quite a bit back in the distance but still brilliant, The Wailers, NewDad, Nils Hoffman, Jiggy in the Global Roots on Friday and loads of others. Made new friends and met old friends and was looked after by the crew so had a wonderful weekend with a lovely sunny Saturday, a bit of wet and wind on Friday and Sunday but coped grandly, will have videos uploaded shortly and I'll commence the longer form version of my blog review.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭mgkelly

This is kind of how I've felt about 'posh' v 'ordinary' camping, also.

When I started going to festivals - I was a latecomer, perhaps only 10y ago (I'm 54y) - I went to Pink Moon & the one before that Tangerine Fields, it was called (I think) at EP. Felt I was 'too old' to be pitching up tents etc. Hadn't done that since I was in my late teens/early 20s. And, it was convenient etc. But, to be honest, didn't feel one got a lot for your money. There was a sense of security, which was appreciated. Perhaps easy access to arena. Perhaps toilets & showers a little cleaner. But began to realise that I was paying a lot for a little. When I went to ATN, I started camping myself, & actually quite liked it. Ok, there's the 'lottery' of who you end up near. I've been fairly lucky, 3 times. Some 'doof, doof' of techno during the night, but not immediately nearby. I am a superb sleeper, so with ear plugs, I can sleep through it. I like to be away a bit from the Madding Crowd'. People used to disingenuously describe scenes in the general camping at EP as being like a news report from the Ethiopian famine of the 1980s, with tents & garbage strewn everywhere. So, that too put me off.

But, with good experiences at ATN, and this year also at Bearded Theory Festival in Derbyshire, I am converted to DIY. There's arguments for both.

Someone mentioned Rave in the Woods/Arcadia at EP. I have almost fond memories of lying in my tent at EP in Pink Moon, hearing & feeling the 'doof, doof' coming from the music to late in the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kwat

Toilets in the boutique were portaloos. Were generally well kept with toilet paper available and the sanitiser stations always topped up. Showers were also well kept and generally no queues, for the mens showers at least.

We discovered this year that the boutique pass gives you access to the guest area (was down to the right of the main stage), which wasn't advertised anywhere. Not the most hopping of places but there's a bar in there and also proper flushing toilets with running water and soap so you could actually wash your hands! Definitely a bonus.

Had a great weekend overall, only downside was the trek from the bus drop-off point to the boutique entrance on the Friday. There were zero signs and nobody we asked could guide us so we followed the outer perimeter fence through the car parks until we came to it. Must have taken at least 50 minutes which was tough with all the gear. I'm not sure if we could have entered through the main entrance and then trekked through the main site to get there, there was a large enough queue so we just stayed going. The same leaving on Monday, had to go the long way around but eventually a steward directed us back through the main campsite, which shortened the journey a little. Would be good if they provided more info/directions on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I only made it in for the Sunday and I don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said.
    Highlight for me was stumbling onto Mano Le tough as I was heading somewhere else, didn’t stop bopping for 2 hours. Caught the end of the Houseplants after that, pretty good.
    Loved Future Islands, he’s a hell of a frontman.
    Prodigy were a bit meh, I was disappointed after them.
    Tried to enjoy John Francis Flynn but it was very hit and miss.
    Ping Pong disco is just….. an experience.
    No cons for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What exactly is ping pong disco? I passed it a few times on way to Arcadia but didn't go in.

Starting to feel a bit normal today thankfully. Stayed up way to late on Monday so was still rough yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 festivalhun

Our group of girls never had any issues. Frequently cleaned and always have toilet paper - also make use of the Guest Area. Located down by aperol and BOI on that side of the field. It has real toilets and real running water! Pure luxury at a festival, as well as a boutique only bar and indoor seating area. If she’s interested there is also a tent inside boutique area for hair straighteners / curlers / hair dryers etc.. there are also food and coffee stalls that again, are only for boutique.

Other things we like is the fact there’s probably less than 5,000 in boutique versus 20,000+ people in general camping. So it’s less busy, less people around, less noise (usually) and as a woman it generally feels safer. Hope that helps!

Ping Pong Disco is kinda like the Dirty Circus in Freetown at EP and Lost Vagueness from the older EPs, camp and burlesques acts with comedy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rubick

Bill Brewster was one of the highlights of our weekend, on Friday 1am-4am. We'd been keen to hear him for years having bought a lot of his productions, but he doesn't play on these shores very often. A disco-infused house music masterclass. The roar from us when he played Metro Area - Miura. That was my first time in Ping Pong Disco, atmosphere was so welcoming and met so many great people.

I'll chuck together a full review soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Anybody hear anything about this

Personally I saw zero trouble at ATN this yr or any other yr come to think of it

Yeah there were a few young bucks flexing their muscles in the pits at Prodigy but nothing serious. Very low skanger count

https://www.wlrfm.com/news/gardai-investigating-serious-assault-at-all-together-now-festival-371653

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Saw none, but there was lots of not sober little alds and lasses around on Sunday - the most ive ever seen at ATN.

The organisers need to get that sorted asap, because the 'security' were uninterested and/or hadnt a clue what was going on….

I was near the gate on Sunday for a while , and there was dozens of teenagers around the main gate looking for wristbands.

And there was dozens that did get em, and walked into the security check where the (head?) security lad in a light blue viz vest would pull roughly at the wristband to see if it would come off….

Ok, fair enough that he had to /wanted to do that, BUT the main issue was that NONE of them were either U12 or over 21 to get into the Concert site!

They need to get that sorted.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

One of my mates saw a fight breaking out in AVA on Saturday, it could be the incident referenced above. Bar that I saw no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

I was meant to be back at work this morning but I have covid! Little ATN24 souvenir… intending the enjoy the extra few days recovery!

Thank you everyone in this thread for the updates in the run up - it has a real feeling of what the internet used to be like and it’s lovely.

See you all next year :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,674 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Never even heard an unfriendly word

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭darzog

That must be the incident I saw at Global Roots just before the Royal Inity set on the Saturday night. Young lad running like hell, then taken down in the pathway leading from the main boulevard to the Global Roots stage. Full restraint / knee in the back job whilst on the ground from (who I was told were) undercover cops. Didn’t see what led to it though…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Nux_BlackThumb

Never saw or heard an ounce of bother all weekend myself, absolutely nothing negative whatsoever - I dress like a tramp at festivals and last time I was at ATN I had a few unkind words said about my get-up but this year - nothing but smiles and good vibes all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KittyFarmer

Usually a lurker, but this thread has been so enjoyable and helpful in the run-up I thought I would add my two cents. This was our third ATN. Not a patch on 22, but I think that was mostly weather related tbh, and we had a very good time overall. We did feel that the crowd skewed younger this year in general, but for the most part, everyone was friendly and there was excellent vibes. We stayed in Boutique (Yippee) as we always have - location is great, with easy access from the carpark and to the main arena, it had good clean toilets and showers, and a good few concessions which never had very big queues. Bit noisy at times with the soundchecks and the ferris wheel, though. We also had bad neighbours there for the first time - really inconsiderate with their (****) music blasting from a speaker at all hours (though they crashed out by Sunday, thankfully). We saw a lot of music, more than we would usually tbh and I was surprised as the lineup didn't really grab me - highlights were The National, Hak Baker, Mary in the Junkyard, Sprints, Houseplants. Loved the area down by the house, as usual. Also loved The Last City, which I think is new? Had a gorgeous spicy margarita there, and enjoyed the Mad Max vibe of it all. By Sunday, I had lost my mojo a bit - again, the constant drizzle didn't help, but there was definitely a bit of a shift in the crowd as well - lots of quite drunk teens who clearly had no wristbands, lots of dodgy looking heads around, and we nearly got knocked over at Sprints by a crowd of puffer-jacketed scrotes legging it away from security. We did see security running past us at Lovely Days around 8.30 on Saturday too, so maybe connected to that report above?

Sure look - we'll go again (and have already signed up for the loyalty presale), but I do wonder if that might be our last one. For context - we are all 40-50; EP regulars till 2016; music is important, but a good weekend letting loose with friends, without the kids (it's the grandparents, KKC) is what it's about for us. However, I can't see what else might be a viable alternative to ATN tbh, at this stage anyway. Beyond the Pale maybe? I don't think we are ready for Forest Fest yet (always like the line up, but the GAA field vibe is not appealing, given how much time I already spend standing around GAA pitches!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Stillill42

In fairness to ATN, when they've slipped in the past, traffic chaos in 2019 for example, they've listened and done something about it. Some evidence of preemptive hay or woodchip in the main mud hazards this year I believe after last year's issues. I'd say they're acutely aware of their position as the new old EP and don't want to lose that. Security and campsite shenanigans certainly seem to be the big bugbear this year so I'll be interested to see if they address that. That first year, in the midst of all the sunshine and beauty and coolness, the thing that struck me most forcibly was the over 21 crowd and the absolute absence of assholes. Hard to hold on to but worth fighting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Absolutley it……

They did seem to listen to their patrons after the early teething problems, so i hope they do re Wristband swaps/ teenagers/ and the debacle of trying to get in on Monday to collect your tent…

So they do seem to have their finger on the pulse … Long may it continue..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Last City was definitely there last year, but can't remember if it was there the 1st time I went in 2019.

Beyond the Pale is great little festival, I'd highly recommend. I still love ATN though and I'll defo be there next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If they could manage to keep the crowd 80-90% of their normal crowd from the first few years I would buy a ten year ticket on the spot. IMO it will be their biggest challenge as the festival grows and develops over the next few years. Just the way festival cycles go.

Body & Soul I think tried to manage this by booking fairly specific acts to suit the vibe they wanted, but in the end they couldn't keep it going as people moved on to other festivals. Very difficult thing to balance I'd imagine. But definitely as you said I think the main feedback from this year is around security/crowdiness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Fanirish

and for body and soul that demo they curated for/targeted move on in life with weddings/kids and drop off from attending so you always need the fresh blood of younger people coming.
    With wristband trick with plastic bag you’ll sadly never stop local teenagers getting in a festival unless you ban sunday re entry

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Landers11

First time doing ATN and loved it. Stayed in the campervan site. Slightly tempted to go to EP just for the festival atmosphere but it is such a quick turnaround. Mid 30s myself. Anyone doing EP too? The no free flow is really putting me off. Anyone think EP will be worth it for someone who loved this years ATN? Not many on the line up I am interested in but mainly interested in the festival atmosphere. Is there anyway around the no free flow?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Hank the DJ

It's a totally different kind of beast, if you stay away from the main stage areas you might get an ATN vibe, specifically Fishtown and the Salty Dog, they do search for alcohol every time you enter, but where there's a will there's a way.

• Advertisement

Advertisement