Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Did 14.5 million people vote for Biden to be the Democratic Party presidential candidate in 2024 or not?

Can only children consider a laugh annoying?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The two situations aren't exactly analagous, though. One required a bit more urgency.

"By the evening of May 27, largely peaceful protests grew more violent, with looting and arson around the city. Frey, the mayor, reportedly contacted Walz that evening and asked for help from the Minnesota National Guard. The city’s police chief then sent Walz’s office a written request for 600 troops, in addition to some other logistical notes.

Walz and his office did not sign an executive order authorizing National Guard deployments until the following afternoon, May 28, at which point much of the city had shut down, businesses were closed and boarded up to prevent looting, and buildings were smoldering after overnight arsons. That night saw some of the worst rioting, violence, and arson, as well as one of the indelible scenes of the protests: the breach and burning of the Minneapolis police’s Third Precinct police station. "

So it apparently took some 16 hours, most of a day, just to decide to mobilise the Guard to meet local requests, that doesn't include response time (Which turned out to be eight hours to get the first 60 troops). A four-hour delay in approval for the D.C. Guard was sufficient to cause much finger-pointing and blame trading after 6th January and, for all the drama, that didn't involve much by way of destruction. The idea that "the city had not specified where the troops should go" causing a delay fails twofold. Firstly, because in the several hours it would take to mobilise a unit, they can find the answer to that question, and secondly, because even if they don't find the answer to the question, the unit can simply "march to the sound of the guns", and directly ask the local police "where do you need us?"

Plus there are concepts like pre-emptive mobilisations. I spent five days at my armory once just sitting around waiting to be sent somewhere because Governor Schwarzenegger felt a situation (wildfire related) was obviously bad and would rather have additional assets but not need, than need and not have. Other units had already been sent to respond, we were, in effect, being held in reserve. After most of a week marking time in the exciting town of Madera, we were demobilised.

Now, how much of this is Walz's fault directly, I have no clue. Important information may have gotten filtered out before it got to his level. However, the statements which during the blame game which came afterwards don't look good when they are contradicted by the written record.

The Star Tribune examined timestamped email and text logs and found plenty of correspondence that backed up the city officials’ sequence of events: that they asked for help from the state government repeatedly, provided specifics, and did not get a prompt response. “He did not say yes,” Frey said of Walz. “He said he would consider it.”

The governor’s office, meanwhile, contested many of the mayor’s assertions. Contrary to the documents reviewed by the Star Tribune, Walz’s team argued Frey did not immediately provide an official request and had not specified where the focus of the National Guard should be. The governor’s office also contended Walz acted quickly once the request was received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Is such a vote required to decide the nomination? The answer is no. Are delegates getting objections to the approach that is being followed? Answer is no. Does she have any actual opponents? Answer is no. So really you want a primary vote to actively disrupt the election and campaigning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

They don't really care

They will latch onto something, anything no matter how childish in order to denigrate whoever runs for the "other side". If Vance flipped and ran for the Dems, they'd immediately set about creating a nickname for him and making infantile remarks.

This is the base level of MAGA. It can work, for example, they really honed in on Hilary's odd expressions and some of it stuck.

This is why the "Trump is weird" thing has really triggered them. It's their own tactic being deployed against them and they don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭calculator

The 'weird' thing is really entertaining. And you could well imagine it infuriating DT altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Biden (and others) withdrew from the process so get over it. Plus while people may have voted for him as their preferred candidate, the formal decision wasn't announced until after he withdrew so at no point was he a candidate for the 2024 election. You are getting worked up over a decision he took to step back yet ironically you'd be wetting yourself if he decided to remain in contention.

As for someone's laugh, normal people might find it amusing but move on. Only weird people would continually focus on someone's laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Quick question. Do any other countries have Atlantic coastline?

Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well if the border isn't urgent after all these delays then we can say it isn't a crisis at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Speaking of smell, did you see that The Chump had an interview with some waste of space who's claim to fame is "smelling other peoples farts and sniffing the chair they were sitting in………………..and The Chump described this lowlife as "a well respected individual"………..says a lot that. "Weird" just does not cover it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is quite extraordinary how in the space of one month we’ve gone from a near guaranteed Trump landslide. Still think it’s an extraordinarily tight race, but man has the dynamic changed.

The buzz around Walz from the US centre left and indeed progressive left is absolutely wild to behold - a rare level of political enthusiasm. Meanwhile, his wildly unpopular counterpart seems tarred irreversibly as a couch-f***er due to a random Twitter shitpost. Mad, thoroughly entertaining stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The two situations aren't exactly analagous, though

Neither are public unrest and wildfires…

is being anti war and anti genocide pro Russian now?

I hear you are a racist now father.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The trend is good. No chicken counting though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭nachouser

Bump.

She should be more like Trump ye see. He never laughs, he’s too much of an alpha to laugh.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ah yes , his "interview" with Adin Ross - Who paid him to appear by giving him a Rolex and a Cyber Truck , another likely campaign violation.

Ross also admitted on another of his shows that all the questions were pre-vetted and approved before the session.

He was kicked off Twitch for being racist and anti-semitic and has had people like Nick Fuentes on his show previously.

Given that his audience is almost exclusively 14-16 year old edgelord bell-ends it's hard to see the electoral value of that show for Trump.

A truly bizarre choice for Trump and his team to make - Either his campaign team are utter muppets or he just does whatever the hell he wants.

If you seem to frequently be going on the defensive for Russia then you're clearly not anti genocide. And since you also seem to be favouring a Trump victory, he also seems to be want to leave Russia off to commit genocide. It's easy enough to make conclusions about your indifference to genocide at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

Trump will allow Russia to take whatever parts of Ukraine that they want. So it'll just be continued genocide. I don't think you care about genocide at all and this claim of being anti war. Ukraine was invaded, they didn't start a war. Trump fawns over both Netanyahu and Putin so you're very gullible if you think he's a peacemaker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You make two assumptions about me and my prior comments, both false. By all accounts prove otherwise, I'll wait.

Aside from asinine comments about a politicians laugh I question your agenda if you consider contrary opinions part of some Pavlovian monolith.

This is the real Walz account on Twitter.

I presumed references to Harris’ laugh would be taken in the same light hearted way that references to Trump’s small “pee pee”. Apparently not.
    it seems the supporters of a politician with a wonderful, contagious laugh, have no sense of humour whatsoever.

”If he’s willing to get off the couch….” - that’s grade A trolling.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

JD: "I eat pieces of shitt like Walz for breakfast"

You eat pieces of shitt for breakfast??

JD:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Again, you say I'm a supporter. It's reflexive. I'm not a supporter, only by the default that the other guy is horrendously almost comically unfit for office. I'm not calling you a Trump supporter so extend the same courtesy.

I will grant you: I find mocking sexual predators' genitals kinda appropriately funny. Brings them down to size to reduce that what they prize. I shed no tears anymore than I would any other man of his ilk. Inane nicknames you admit were done to troll, and picking on a laugh just make you look petty, not incisive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Vance seems to think the best course of action is attacking Walz's military service, and that he retired from service before his unit went to Iraq.

Walz served about 25 years in the National Guard, reaching among the highest ranks, though never saw active combat service.

On the one hand it would be easy to talk about how Vance was only a combat correspondent in Iraq, but really the key takeaway would be how by disparaging Walz's service record, the same would apply to hundreds of thousands of veterans who served but may not have seen active combat, and I'm sure even those who did wouldn't take kindly to Vance's comments.

Vance continuing to do just a fantastic job. Really Grade A. Can't fault it at all.

Advertisement