Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I don't think picking essentially the same half back line with the same obvious weaknesses 2 years running and then not recognising those weaknesses were being specifically targeted until too late in the two games they lost is good enough at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Confirmed they've all been ratified with management teams TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Village87

Don't get me started on the u20 shambles last 2 years . That u20 team was picked around Christmas time last year. Form, fitness, pace did not matter. Disgraceful carry on, and disgraceful that Dowling is allowed back in, shameful carry on. I suppose I'm not surprised with the carry on and poison politics in Kilkenny the last 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Bergin didn't deserve another year after the failure in the AIF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Marrooned

and you have nothing to say on the Bergin appointment?

• Advertisement

The minor final was one of our darkest days no question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Neewollah

As i mentioned in a previous post Bergin was always going to be given another year. Its by far the most successful year he's had over the team. IMO he should have been moved on last year after a few poor years for our minors but whatever the County Board review system is, if he survived the previous years reviews, he was always going to survive this year.

Under 21s, I don't have a huge issue with Dowling staying in place. While yes, some selection mistakes were made many things were done to hamper him too of which the senior management need to answer for.

Lyng was never in doubt but he needs to clean house and start with awhole.new panel. I saw a lot of club games this weekend and the standard is excellent. There are plenty of hurlers out there worth a shot if managed correctly and given a proper chance. Better than some on the current panel who are either gone past it or who have never been proven themselves for their clubs

county board meeting, proposed, seconded and carried, no vote for the members this is a **** joke a dictatorship. Why wasn’t there a competition formed for the three jobs and go through a selection process this was a lazy way out and then they will tell us that nobody went for the jobs. I am absolutely fuming. This is certainly after taking the sheen off of Kellie’s gold for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭KK36

There is the scope for a vote but in order to do that somebody has to say that there are against the proposal.

1. The Chairman says they are putting x forward for y position.
    2. Somebody (normally from x's club) formally proposes x for the position.
    3. Somebody else from the floor seconds the proposal.
    4. The option to disagree with the motion is with the delegates. Any opposition will trigger a vote on the proposal.
    5. If there is no opposition to the proposal x is deemed ratified.

The fact that all three were ratified suggests to me that there was no opposition from the delegates to any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

On the county championships, is there anything to be said for a slight changing the structure of the Senior/Intermediate competitions so that the bottom two sides in the group phase are out after all rounds played, and then the rest are straight to QF's, no league/shield finals?

It would certainly add more bite to the group phase if there was a chance you'd finish outside the top four and be out of the championship. As it is you could lose all your group games and still win the county title (meaning you could in winning the county title lost more games than you've won), surely something more cut-throat would spice it up a bit?

I know the structure has served us well over the years, but could it not do with an update? One of the reasons I think it could do so is we seem to have a fair amount of younger players at club level, which is a good thing, and a more cut-throat competition may be better for their development, and therefore better for the county overall.

It would also give us the added bonus of one less round at Senior/Intermediate, so we could space out the game more so we can go to more of the games.

Obviously Junior is a bit different to the two higher grades so leave well enough alone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The reason that league/shield finals are played are that if they aren't played your grade is set if you play in the first round of league, which means if teams are short of numbers early in the competition and they bring on a couple of young lads from the junior team they are then gone from junior and can't play again, whereas if they play a league/shield final your grade isn't set until you play a knockout game and usually by the junior competitions are out of the way. I'm not saying your proposal dosen't have logic but that's the reason they play the league finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose when you put it that way it makes perfect sense.

If I was making a change I'd work out some way for the loser of the first round knockout game between the teams who finished 3rd and 4th to get a second chance.

Finish 5th at the moment and you get to play the worst team in the other group. Finish 4th and you get one of the best teams in the other group. Hardly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I wonder if we had it that the 2 bottom placed teams went straight to the relegation play off and not have the first round element and everyone else went straight to the quarter final, it would make the group stages far more important and would cut out some of the bigger teams coasting through the group stages and make the games far more competitive.

So really you’re telling me that it was a unanimous decision to appoint all three managers. That’s unbelievable the minor manager was involved with the minors for six years and what was won, we lost to Laois 2 years ago and they didn’t even go on to win Leinster and then bet by thirteen man Tipp in our own backyard actually we were made a laughing stock,and what if he loses this year what will be the outcome then. I sincerely doubt if anyone was approached for any of the jobs.

At least the senior and U20 managers have only two of the three years done the minor management went full term, so are they getting rewarded for winning a Leinster. Someone said earlier that having the same management back after winning Leinster makes sense, well it doesn’t to me I just cannot figure out some people’s logic they will be inheriting a good team this year. But we had one last year and they made a total bollox of it. I want to put the question to all posters what’s the least we expect from the minor management team next year I can’t wait to hear your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I see the Kilkenny Gaa twitter has turned comments off on the announcement of the management.

People aren't happy.

well that’s good to hear that people are concerned. And it doesn’t come down to personality’s this is all down to concern for the wellbeing of KK hurling. We cannot keep rewarding failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Neewollah

Nobody within the County Board bar a select few know what the manager selection process is or what reviews take place on existing managements each year.

As an earlier poster mentioned the 3 managers are just put forward for ratification by the chairperson, proposed and seconded and life moves on.

It's crazy that the county board delegates don't ask questions even around how these selections have come about, who is on the manager selection committee etc. The whole thing is so bloody secretive.

Things won't change though until clubs start sending in people as county board reps who are willing to speak up and hold the top table accountable. Majority of county board reps have easily been in there 30 years plus.

Surely there was someone in that room who would have raised a question on the whole thing last night?

A lot of county board reps just go in for the monthly chat and the free pass. They are really quite poor as delegates. Anyone who asks a question or raises an issue is shot down in a hape of tuts for delaying the meeting. More of them just like the sound of their own voices, constantly talking, licking arses as they speak but saying nothing of any value. The meetings are actually pointless in their current guise as all the decisions are made beforehand and the nodding dogs just go along with whatever they are told. Pointless really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I know that when some clubs dissented on topics previously, they got very angry calls from the County Board Executive to the chair of the clubs. Telling them x and y proposal to be withdrawn or their club would be in an unenviable position going forward. Whether that was referring to funding or supports I don't know but it's bully boy tactics, divide and conquer and should have no place in the GAA. They don't even want motions tabled let alone discussed.

well reality should be starting to bite now. All the people I know are not happy with the whole situation it’s really all down to the upper echelons of the county board who are of the opinion what would the rest of them know and they obviously haven’t their ear to the ground like had Mick Fennelly no input at all, I thought this year we were showing green shoots underage but are these clowns going to bring it all down. It really only takes one county board member to start rocking the boat it wouldn’t be easy but they have to start somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭jamesbond2022

We can give out all we want on here but did anyone expect anything different from the Co board

The old phrase of if nothing changes nothing changes

And the definition of insanity is doing the same over and over and expecting a different result

Unless the top men of the Co board are cleared out and people are gotten in who put the interests of Kilkenny hurling above everything else including there own interests then we will stay stuck where we are

The current Co board are only interested in self preservation looking after there own interests and keeping the jobs in house and giving the jobs out to there mates

My worry would be that the people doing the good work will eventually get fed up of trying to fight against the tide that is the current Co board and just give up especially the likes of m Fennelly

Tj while being at the end of his career barely misses a free or a game so there was no need

Also b drennan.was probaly the free taker if he was on the field and Tj was off the last while until he wasn’t on the last few match day squads

look it just seems to me that the future wasn’t really addressed under Lyng, now everyone is talking about a team rebuild. This should have started the first year but certainly the next year I just feel it was two years wasted and now we have to wait and see what he is going to do next year it’s so **** frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Niall Bergin is rewarded for the most embarrassing defeat in Kilkenny GAA history with ANOTHER year; after proving time and time again he has managerial skills on a par with a bag of Maris Piper spuds. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yep …Pipers are rubbish ……….

New Season Queens on the other hand …… MMMmm

😃

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I’m not defending him by any means but I think that’s a bit harsh did he not get danesfort out of the intermediate grade a few years ago probaly the toughest championship to win in Kilkenny

• Advertisement

I still didn’t get any answers regarding what will be expected of the minor management next year? On the last point about getting Danesfort up to senior level, nothing you say can hide the facts I stated above as regards beaten by Laois in Leinster and beaten by Tipp in AIF by 13 men in our own backyard, you can butter up whatever way you like but these are the stark facts.the county board has to take all the blame for the recent debacle, they seem to be limping along from crisis to crisis and now they won’t let the people have their say. Before this came up we had good discussions on here about who would we have as management teams or would we stick with who was already there. I presume the selection committee is going to tell us no one came forward for any of the positions, well they are not going to are they?it has to be put out there and then the various teams should be interviewed about there aims and plan. I think myself that it all comes down to money and the cheapest appointments are then made. I know there is a few county board members are posters here and I would love to hear their thoughts on what the next steps should be.We are sinking deeper and deeper each year, somebody has to lead the way and straighten things out. I’m still like a savage over this.

Advertisement