Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Eir Talk (SIP?) working with FTTC Fibre Box in Bridge Mode?

• 03-05-2022 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

I have a Unifi network infrastructure in my house with a USG providing routing and security.

I've recently installed Eir Fibre (FTTC) and have an F3000 (?) Fibre Box. I've put the Fibre box in Bridge mode and instigate PPoE connection from the USG.

Pervasively, when I had Eir service, this worked perfectly with an F2000 box. Now, however, Eir in their wisdom have implemented their Talk service over broadband (is that SIP?). When I go to bridge mode, the phone service fails. Eir support wont help with Bridge Mode configs.

I think I need to set up some firewall, port forwarding or NAT rules in the USG to get the VoIP phone service working agin, but not sure how;

I came across this blog post which seems to outline the general principle and ports involved, but I cannot seem to find the magic config in Unifi.

My current attempt is to set up firewall rules...

Nothing really on the Unifi Community forums either that match my specific case (lots on FTTH, not so much on FTTC). Hoping someone here has some insight?

Here's where am so far, attempting to set up firewall rules on WAN IN for 6050 and 10,000-10,100 to be redirected to the Eir Fibre box (192.168.0.1) connected to WAN port of USG

Post edited by meep on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Do you need to put your ISP router/modem into Bridge Mode?

Option could be to leave it in 'normal' mode (disabling wifi etc.) and drop your own router into the ISP router/modems DMZ - you'd need to set a static IP but thats about it, the net connection setup on your router wouldn't be PPPoE, just a basic ethernet connection. That way in theory, whatever SIP service that requires the ISP router/modem should work just fine...I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

cheers. This is how I had my previous set up (sky) and it was never a great success with double nat issues problems with Netflix throwing access errors and the like.

I actually changed back to eir to get my old landline back only to find eir are now up to this sip nonsense. I’ve called eir, asking for a proper PTSN setup. We’ll see.

Post edited by meep on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah, didn't realise that would be an issue - wonder if ComReg are of any use to push ISPs to allow the use of our own SIP adapters instead of their junk hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dav7841

Just want to bump this thread and see if you got the landline issue sorted? I have a similar issue with the google nest wifi. Wifi is working great with the eir fibre box in bridge mode but our landline is down. double NAT'ing is an issue otherwise with bridge mode switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Go for the easy option.

Buy a cheap un-managed switch (amazon for 15 euro)

Connect all three devices to the un-managed switch (ONT ethernet cable, WAN cable to the ISP device for phone, and WAN cable to your own device for LAN/WLAN.

Both the ISP device and your own LAN device will get an IP address from the ISP. Turn off the wifi in the ISP device if you want to keep things clean.

This has worked on both EIR and Vodafone for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Sorry so late replying.

Got eir to give me a proper pstn line. It took a while, but all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

I have Eir FTTH. Eir uses VLAN Tagging, but Google Nest WiFi does not, so I had to include the Eir F3000 (in bridging mode) before the Nest Router.

I believe I could buy some kind of managed switch that could work to strip the VLAN Tag though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aidancoughlan

Hi @Kencollins .. I'm following this thread and others after some time, and don't see any solutions other than your proposal for those who find themselves with Eir F300 modems in bridge mode which don't support EIR;s voice over broadband feature, whatever it's called. EIR offered me a reduction in price while I was talking to them about something else, and it turned out it was by getting rid of the copper landline I have in my existing package, promised without any outage in service . However, when the move happened the landline stopped working. Plugging it into the EIR F3000 router as advised did not work either. EIR support say they cannot connect to the modem to download phone settings (the F3000 which is in bridge mode as I have an ASUS Mesh system around the house handling routing / WIFI etc.).

I have a basic understanding of what's going on with Bridge mode (I had to switch my modem into bridge mode when I installed the mesh system, I think I used this article to do that), but I am not experienced in networking.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "Buy a cheap un-managed switch (amazon for 15 euro)", and what exactly to do. I found one of these cheap Trendnet EG-S82G switches in the attic and tried this:

(1) Removed the EIR NTU cable from the F3000 WAN port, and put it into the switch Port#1

(2) Used a short Ethernet cable to connect from the switch Port#2 to the EIR F3000 WAN port.

(3) Plugged my ASUS XT9 ZenWIFI Mesh router into Port#3 on the switch (this was previously connected to the EIR F3000)

(4) I plugged my "Landline" (now voice-over-IP) into the "PHONE" socket on the Eir F3000 (as advised by EIR), and there is obviously no option for a phone cable on the switch.

At this point, it seems no better for me

(a) I do still have WIFI from the F3000 (which remains in "bridge mode"), that was always still present before alongside my Mesh network.

(b) however, the Mesh Router comes up with a red light, and does not support a WIFI network of its own - it was working correctly and supporting WIFI when plugged directly into the F3000

(c ) The phone connected to the F3000 fares no better - still no phone signal.

Is this basically the procedure you were suggesting that worked for you / have I understood it correctly or missed anything?

Post edited by aidancoughlan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭KildareP

You need to factory reset the F3000 using the RESET pinhole. This will take it out of bridge mode and the phone port will come to life.

After reset you should log into its web interface and disable WiFi to avoid needlessly using up channels.

On your own router, you need to set the WAN interface to use a VLAN ID of 10. When it was connected through the F3000 it managed this end of it for you.

Once the above is done you will have phone working through the F3000 and internet on your own kit, both connected to the OpenEIR ONT using the switch.

Thank you @KildareP, that kind of makes sense to me. I will try that.

I presume having the F3000 and the ASUS Mesh Router both connected separately to EIR ONT via the switch is what will remove the need for the F3000 to be in bridge mode (and bridge mode seems to be what is preventing my VOIP phone service working). From what you are saying, it sounds like bridge mode is only necessary when my ASUS Mesh Router is connected to the F3000 directly? I will try it, and take the opportunity to disable the F3000 WIFI while I am at it OK.

And as a consequence of connecting the Mesh Router directly (via the switch) to the EIR system rather than through the F3000, I then need to set the VLAN ID setting?. Although you mention that the F300 would have been handling that, I think I actually had to do that when setting up the Mesh system connected through the F3000, so will see how that goes - it might already be set on my Asus Mesh router.

The only thing that puzzles me is that I thought that there had to be a Modem before the router on the way in from EIR. The ASUS mesh system (XT9 ZEN WIFI) is just a router/extender system - no modem. I'm puzzled where the modem is in the system for it then - unless the ONT itself is a modem of sorts ?

Anyways, I will try that in a day or two when I have more time. Many thanks !

Post edited by aidancoughlan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭KildareP

Yes, the ONT is in effect the modem in FTTH - the F3000 is only a modem in the technical sense when connected to their ADSL/VDSL (phoneline) service, otherwise it's just a standard router and wireless access point.

If you tagged the ASUS WAN with VLAN ID 10 behind a bridged F3000 then it will NOT work - the fact it did work behind the F3000 and now does not work connected into the ONT through the switch would confirm that the WAN is not tagged on the ASUS.

Tag the ASUS WAN with VLAN ID 10 and you're away - you don't even need credentials, just leave the ASUS WAN on DHCP/IPoE.

Just an update on this: My ASUS XT9 Mesh Router system does not in fact support VLAN :-(, so I can't directly follow the fairly clear option @KildareP suggested which requires me to set VLAN ID 10 on my router/mesh system. My recollection of having done so before must have been in terms of just reading about it in posts online when I was setting it up. I could probably extend the system with another ASUS Mesh router that does support VLAN , so I might not rule that out (Option 4 below), but it's disappointing - the XT9 system is not cheap !

I told CHATGPT what hardware I had, what I wanted to do and asked it what my options were, and I thought the answer was pretty good. I don't like option (1) - since I lose AI Protection (one of the reasons I have the ASUS system). Option (2) is a runner, but will need me to get EIR to send me configuration details for the phone - which will temporarily mean setting it back into "normal" (non-bridge) mode next week when support is back online - so they can "send" configuration details to the phone, and CHATGPT seems to think it has potential to be problematic in troubleshooting VOIP issues. Option (3) raises the possibility of double-NAT problems, which I need to avoid (our BLINKING BLINK security cameras don't like double NAT). I asked it if a fourth option based on @Kildarep's suggestion above would work - if I had a VLAN-capable router as a gateway to the mesh system, and it seems this would work - I pasted it as option 4 below.

CHAT-GPT response….

Here’s a summary of the three options for configuring your network with the Eir F3000 modem router and ASUS XT9 Mesh system, including a note on the disadvantage of Option 1 regarding AI Protection:

Option 1: Use the Eir F3000 for VOIP Only

• Steps:
      1. Put the F3000 in Normal Mode: Revert the Eir F3000 from bridge mode to normal router mode to manage VOIP and routing.
      2. Set Up the ASUS XT9 in AP Mode: Configure the ASUS XT9 Mesh system as an Access Point (AP) connected to the F3000. This allows the ASUS system to provide Wi-Fi while the F3000 handles routing and VOIP.
    • Advantages:
      • VOIP functionality is preserved as the F3000 manages it directly.
      • Simplified network setup as the F3000 handles all routing.
    • Disadvantages:
      • AI Protection on ASUS XT9 Disabled: When the ASUS XT9 is in AP mode, its advanced features like AI Protection (which includes security features such as malicious site blocking and two-way IPS) are not operational. This means you’ll miss out on the security benefits provided by your ASUS router.

Option 2: Use the Trendnet Switch for VOIP

• Steps:
      1. Keep the F3000 in Bridge Mode: Maintain the F3000 in bridge mode to pass the public IP to your ASUS XT9.
      2. Connect the Trendnet Switch: Connect the Trendnet switch to the F3000.
      3. Connect Devices: Connect the VOIP phone to the Trendnet switch, along with the ASUS XT9 router.
    • Advantages:
      • The ASUS XT9 retains full functionality, including AI Protection and advanced features.
      • Allows the VOIP phone to work while keeping the ASUS XT9 as the main router.
    • Disadvantages:
      • This setup may require additional configuration to ensure the VOIP phone functions correctly with the F3000 in bridge mode.
      • Potential for complex network configurations or troubleshooting if VOIP issues arise.

Option 3: Dual Router Setup

• Steps:
      1. Put the F3000 in Router Mode: Leave the F3000 in router mode, managing VOIP and routing.
      2. Configure ASUS XT9: Set the ASUS XT9 as a router behind the F3000, potentially placing it in the F3000’s DMZ to avoid double NAT issues.
    • Advantages:
      • Full functionality of both routers, including AI Protection on the ASUS XT9.
      • VOIP remains operational through the F3000.
    • Disadvantages:
      • Double NAT Issues: Using two routers can create a double NAT scenario, which may cause complications with certain applications or services.
      • Complex Configuration: This setup may require careful configuration to avoid networking issues and ensure all devices function correctly.

Each option has its trade-offs, so your choice will depend on whether you prioritize maintaining ASUS XT9’s security features or ensuring straightforward VOIP functionality.

OPTION4 : Using a V-LAN Capable router connected to the Trendnet switch

Detailed Steps:

1. Trendnet Switch Configuration:
      • Connect the Fibre ONT to one of the ports on the Trendnet switch.
      • Connect the EIR F3000 to another port on the Trendnet switch (no VLAN tagging needed for this connection).
      • Connect the ASUS RT-AC68U to a third port on the Trendnet switch. Configure this port to tag traffic with VLAN ID 10.
    2. ASUS RT-AC68U Configuration:
      • Access the ASUS RT-AC68U’s web interface.
      • Go to the WAN settings and configure the VLAN ID to 10. This will ensure that the RT-AC68U communicates with the Fibre ONT properly.
      • Set up the RT-AC68U as your primary router, managing all non-VOIP network traffic.
    3. EIR F3000 Configuration:
      • Ensure the F3000 is in its default router mode, not bridge mode.
      • Connect your VOIP phone to the F3000 as you normally would.
      • The F3000 will handle VOIP traffic separately from the ASUS RT-AC68U.
    4. ASUS XT9 MESH System Configuration:
      • Set up the ASUS XT9 nodes to connect to the ASUS RT-AC68U.
      • This configuration will allow the MESH system to extend the network managed by the RT-AC68U.

Advantages:

• Separate Network Traffic: By using VLANs, you effectively separate VOIP traffic managed by the EIR F3000 from all other network traffic managed by the ASUS RT-AC68U.
    • Full Functionality: The ASUS RT-AC68U will retain full functionality, including AI Protection, and can act as the main gateway for your network.
    • Scalability: This setup allows you to add more devices or services in the future without disrupting the existing configuration.

Disadvantages:

• Complex Setup: Configuring VLANs and ensuring everything works correctly can be complex, especially if you’re not familiar with network management.
    • Potential Troubleshooting: If something goes wrong, troubleshooting might be more challenging due to the complexity of the setup.

Conclusion:

This approach allows you to maintain VOIP functionality through the EIR F3000 while taking full advantage of the advanced features of the ASUS RT-AC68U and your MESH system. By carefully configuring VLANs, you can segment your network effectively, ensuring each device handles the traffic it’s best suited for.

Advertisement