Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART underground - options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I'm not sure what the difference is between our plans here? The canal would need drained temporarily for construction then restored above the station in my suggestion?

Line would surface at the current buffers of the Docklands station.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

There's a few limitations to consider at the Docklands site:

• There'e a significant height difference between the Royal Canal / Drumcondra lines (0 to +2m), and the Northern Line (+8m).

• Rail Access to Dublin Port needs to be maintained - it's currently connected to both the Northern and Drumcondra lines.

• The apartment blocks along the canal have a basement level (at 0m), which needs to be avoided - tracks would need to be -10m minimum.

• The tunnel tracks need to be -20m (or so) by the time they reach the river.

• Station platforms need to be built on the flat, which limits the distance available for an incline - the original DU plans envisioned 170m platforms (same as Dart).

All these points taken together massively limit what's possible at Docklands. The biggest limitation is getting the Northern Line deep enough into a tunnel, while not cutting off access to Dublin Port. If a tunnel connected with the Royal Canal line instead (and maybe Drumcondra), I think a lot more is possible at this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OisinCooke

Oh right, my sincere apologies, for some odd reason I thought you meant using the canal basin as the station box…!! Never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gjim

While alternative connections are interesting, if it doesn't connect to the coastal line North of Connolly, then you haven't solved the Connolly/loop line bottleneck. And if you are not connecting to the Kildare line out of Hueston, you are wasting the 40km of the best proper fully grade-separated electrified rail alignment in the country by terminating services away from the centre in Heuston or sending the trains in a long loop bypassing most of the city centre.

The goal isn't a "better" London Overground type system (with out-of-centre terminals and alignments that avoid the city centre proper) - the only type of heavy-rail metro most people in Ireland have experienced it seems - where legacy heavy rail is used to provide some peripheral and orbital connectivity. The idea is to run Euro-style heavy-rail metro - pretty much indistinguishable from metro. Most recent city trip to Madrid was like this - heading to the centre of Madrid from the airport, half the trip used a "DART" and not a "metro" but I bet most Irish visitors will only extol Madrid's metro.

"Euro-style" heavy-rail metro systems (unlike say "London Overground" type systems) generally provide through-running, travel through the very centre of the city and run direct and efficient alignments. I just don't see any other interconnection, except that between the Kildare route (somewhere west of Heuston) and the northern coastal (somewhere north of Connolly) being all that useful if the goal is to provide proper metro services using heavy rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OisinCooke

Could not agree more and very well said

The only option really as it’s looking will be to either redesign Spencer Dock to cater for the predetermined portal location (which now seems more attractive given they have to resubmit planning for the DART West Depot anyway…) or to just dig it up when DART Underground is seen as required (which it will be very soon) as it provides the best connection with the Northern Line and the Western Line.

As ideal as Fairview Park would be it just doesn’t seem feasible, I think bullets will have to be bitten and accommodations made in Spencer Dock or we’ll be feeling the consequences in 10 years time.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's essential that the Northern Line Darts bypass Connolly. Wexford trains will eventually move out of Connolly and Belfast IC doesn't use the loop line. If the Sligo line is connected to Heuston in Kildare, then the only major conflict for Connolly or the loop line will be Maynooth Darts.

Maynooth Darts (and Dart SW) can terminate in Spencer Dock (or continue into a future tunnel). That should be workable, as interchanges will be available at Broombridge (Luas), Cross Guns (Metro) and Spencer Dock (Luas).

A future DU tunnel which connected Maynooth to GCD/Pearse, SSG, Christchurch, Heuston would be a fantastic alignment.

FWIW my proposed 'Spencer Dock underground being below the canal' I would envisage doing whatever is required to get from there to a flying junction tie in with the Northern line. That may mean lowering the Royal canal and Drumcondra approaches to Spencer Dock so the tunnel approach can overbridge them on its way up to Northern line height.

Ideal world there would be space for points at this divergence point so that all lines can access the tunnel (and Spencer Dock as a terminus). Even if those connections aren't suitable for high frequency service.

Meaning no disrespect, but I really don't think people appreciate the height differences involved at this site, and the distances required for gradients.

The tracks of a tunnel would be minus 20 metres under the river, followed by 170m long platforms on the flat, followed by a climb up to plus 8 metres to the Northern Line. That's 28 metres of gradient. Even at a steep 4% gradient, 700 metres is required, however in reality they're unlikely to have a gradient that steep and even if they did, the tracks can't suddenly drop in and out of a 4% gradient.

If you add in a requirement to branch off to 2 additional lines, while also maintaining access to a surface Dart Station for all 3 lines, while also maintaining freight access to Dublin Port..... this becomes completely bonkers. No engineering can make all of those things work simultaneously.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I mean going with Plan B, going via the Rail freight yard is perfectly feasible too, perhaps less attractive (arguable), but would work just fine too and perhaps have even more potential for property development.

I'm not sure why people are blanking on this option.

Don't get me wrong, go for Plan A first, move Spencer Dock, but you do have a nice alternative.

BTW the Spencer Dock station has now gotten it's Railway Order approved by ABP, so it isn't going to get redesigned now.

Are there any clear(ish) plots on the far side of the proposed Spencer Dock Station? Then you can come up in the rail yard and access/ update the existing tracks for your tie ins without issue, but effectively replicate the same pedestrian tunnels into the main station (with others for The Point as a trip generator)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Depends on where exactly you put it in the freight yard, but you are talking only about 400 to 450 meters to Spencer Dock station. About 5 minute walk. Mine out a pedestrian tunnel between the two and folks wouldn’t even notice this distance between the two for connections. This would be a completely normal distance in the London Underground.

A future DU tunnel which connected Maynooth to GCD/Pearse, SSG, Christchurch, Heuston would be a fantastic alignment.

It wouldn't be as good as the classic X arrangement because many of the no-change journeys on such a line/service would offer very little utility - an example would be Leixlip to say Adamstown - which would be a 40km train ride to cover a 4km crow-flies distance. Relatively straight alignments provide more utility than ones that curve around or particularly are U shaped as all end-to-end trips provide utility.

I hear your point, but this is just an idealistic 'nice to have' or 'looks better on a map' point of view. The majority of journeys are heading into the city centre or are short hop, so the key is to build a network which offers numerous, frequent and easy connections.

If you look at some numbers from the Rail Census 2023:

From Greystones up to, and including, Grand Canal Dock there were 19,043 boardings. From Bray to Connolly, there were 20,531 alightings. What this says to me is that the vast vast majority of journeys on Dart Coastal have a destination in the city centre or are only travelling a few stops.

Despite the line being established for 40years, there appears to be little demand to travel from one end of the line to the other and getting people into the city centre is the priority. If this altered configuration (instead of the X) avoided major engineering issues at Spencer Dock, I see no reason not to pursue it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If this altered configuration (instead of the X) avoided major engineering issues at Spencer Dock, I see no reason not to pursue it

I think avoiding major engineering issues at Spencer Dock would have limited appeal v the extra length of tunnel and needing to build two separate interchange stations in the city centre.

I do think the X arrangement is an idea from the original DU that pre-dated Metrolink and DART+

To be clear I'm not saying we shouldn't do the X arrangement, but it certainly isn't the most have that it was pre Metrolink. We all know that the above arrangement that loco posted would easily cover 95% of journeys quiet nicely.

Semi-circle or even full circle lines (if you connect the two Western lines as the AIRR proposes) are very common throughout Europe. No, no one, travels the full distance on them, that isn't the point of them, just as no one expects anyone to travel the full distance on the BusConnects orbital routes.

Lets be honest here, I know what the real objection here is, that you aren't connected to the Northern Line, thus you can't shove Intercity trains in the tunnel to go to the airport like some folks would like!

Of course that is a terrible idea as it would explode the cost of the tunnel and ruin the reliability of DART by mixing services once again. So perhaps the Semi circle arrangement would be better

There's minimal extra length of tunnel here and no new interchange stations versus the original DU plans. It would be significantly less disruptive and cheaper to avoid rebuilding the entire Spencer Dock station and tracks.

Instead of Pearse, I've suggested GCD (requires c. 500metres longer tunnel) but that's not a must - if Pearse was still doable, then it should be Pearse.

The original DU plans required closure of SSG and draining of its lake, but I've loosely suggested SSG South which would connect well with Metro at SSG East, and could arguably be easier to build.

One thing I've always felt uneasy about the X arrangement was that you were going to piss off lots of people living on the coastal route and get lots of push back on it.

Think of folks living on the south side who work at East Point or folks living in the north side, but working at various locations on the south side.

They go from having no change trip to a trip with a change and possibly 2 changes for those living in Howth!. That is going to lead to a lot of pissed off people. Many of whom choose where they live based on the DART line.

Prior to Metrolink, under the original DU plan I would have said they just need to suck it up for the greater good. But now with Metrolink and DART+, other options are available and perhaps it isn't worth the battle.

Of course that means the folks on the Western lines will instead have a trip with a change, but the difference is they never knew better, this is a an overall new service for with much greater frequency and convenience for them, so less likely to complain.

When DART+ is done, there is actually very little benefit in the tunnel for those living on the coastal line, so why force them to change, when there is little in it for them and the majority of the benefit is to those on the Western lines.

One thing I've always felt uneasy about the X arrangement was that you were going to piss off lots of people living on the coastal route and get lots of push back on it.

Think of folks living on the south side who work at East Point or folks living in the north side, but working at various locations on the south side.

They go from having no change trip to a trip with a change and possibly 2 changes for those living in Howth!. That is going to lead to a lot of pissed off people. Many of whom choose where they live based on the DART line. 

This makes little sense to me but sadly I can well imagine the Irish Times running a campaign along these lines. Right down to using words like "folk" for passengers we are expected to have sympathy for.

It is same refrain we've heard over and over used to attack projects to improve PT Ireland - find a small number of existing customers who might have to change their travel patterns in some minor way and give them a soapbox to complain and vent. Ignore the huge benefits that would acrue to a much larger cohort.

It like that blind guy they found and used as a basis to bash BusConnects because this one person would now have an extra change. But absoultely no mention of the thousands or tens of thousands of users who would benefit.

These arguments are incomplete (and often disingenious) because they require ignoring or discounting to zero the utility provided to future users and usage patterns. In other words, look at the cost to existing passengers but ignore the benefits to future passengers (and existing ones who would benefit from the change).

For just one of your examples - passengers coming from coastal North. Are we really suggesting that a direct access to SSG (including Green Luas) and Christchurch is worth less utility than direct access to stations south of GCD? I feel confident in predicting that SSG would attract 10 times the patronage than any station South of GCD.

And this was a "I don't believe it but I'm just saying what others will say" type of post, then please spare me. If I want to read one-sided arguments about the costs PT projects, I can always pick up a copy of the Irish Times and get my fill there.

I don't speak for BK, but I'm pretty sure it's a 'passing thoughts' type of post, nothing else.

All other things being equal, it's not an unreasonable point. Why change a route that has been established for 40yrs, if it's not necessary to change it?

Given the plans for Metro, Cross Guns interchange, Dart+ West/SW, 4-track Northern line, Wexford trains to Bray etc etc ...I simply don't see the need to divert Northern Darts away from Loop Line. Open to being convinced otherwise

Yeah I might have been a bit strong but it touched a nerve as it echos much of "human interest" approaches taken by the press as a means to attack PT projects. "But someone will have to do something a bit differently!!"

I simply don't see the need to divert Northern Darts away from Loop Line.

Not sure I fully don't understand your position. You don't see a need for an interconnector at all or you think the intersecting U idea delivers more utility/value than the X type arrangement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And if the press can't find a legit story to attack a transport project, they'll just make one up. Remember the "I'll have to take three buses with busconnects!" guy? When he was actually getting a new near door-to-door service…

NA

Post edited by bk on

My main position is that connecting a tunnel to the elevated Northern Line at Spencer Dock is no longer workable, as it would create too much disruption.

Regarding "utility/value" of one arrangement over another - that really depends on what purpose the interconnector would serve - Darts only, commuter trains, intercity trains?...

Here's a suggestion using the U arrangement for the Dart+tunnel.

• Belfast trains use platforms 3 and 4 of the surface Spencer Dock station. Passengers connect to Heuston using the Dart+ tunnel

• Dart SW from HH goes via Heuston West, PPT, Cross Guns, Drumcondra and Spencer Dock (platforms 1 and 2)

• Dart Coastal continues to use Loop Line

• Dart West from Maynooth via Royal Canal Line uses the tunnel through the city centre, onto Heuston, but then swings South West via Drimnagh, Walkinstown, Ballymount and onto Tallaght.

• Metro West orbital ties everything together without needing to connect in the city.

This would maintain Dart SW as a distinct terminating line via PPT into Spencer Dock. This could be a significantly cheaper way to bring a high capacity line to Tallaght versus a tunnel through Harold's Cross / Rathfarmham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is no way tunnelling to Tallaght will make financial sense. The only way the tunnel happens is by shortening it and reducing the cost of stations. Surfacing on the DART+ SW line as close as possible to Heuston is pretty much set. Swinging south isn't going to be an option.

I also think your horseshoe line proposal doesn't work like your sketch. The GCD station in the tunnel options report is under the canal basin between the existing station and Ringsend Road bridge, which is further east that you have drawn. This will require the tunnel to swing wider. The alignment north of the river is unlikely to be able to pass under the CCD given the depth of car park so would have to be further west under the canal. This makes the tunnel swing west before moving east to the current Docklands station site, then you need straight station platforms and then turn west for the line along the canal, all while rising up from under the Liffey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Isn't there a massive underground foundation just south of the current Docklands station that makes any tunnel here impossible?

Thanks Pete - I take it as a big compliment you're taking my crayon sketches to be accurate to the metre. I only intend them to be representative of the general routing.

I don't know how deep the foundations are of the CCD or PWC buildings, but the apartment blocks are at +4m elevation with basement at +0.35m elevation, so I wouldn't rule out a tunnel under them. The tunnel could potentially avoid the CCD and go under the PWC buildings slightly East.

As regards Tallaght, the tunnel could still emerge in Inchicore but then run above ground towards Tallaght through the Industrial Estates which are earmarked for redevelopment. Maintain Dart SW as a separate line via PPT terminating in Spencer Dock, and have Maynooth to Tallaght via the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Paul2019

Interesting new idea.

@loco_scolo - I think the intersecting U idea has merit as I believe the most important thing is to allow through-running of electrified commuter heavy rail services in the centre of the city and if the X configuration proved to be impossible or extremely expensive and/or disruptive it would be my second choice. The key purpose is to increase radial capacity and frequency. I'm not convinced (yet) that the X configuration is infeasible but I think the U configuration is a reasonable backup.

But I think your idea of heavy-rail extensions to Tallaght and the like are non-runners and miss the point of heavy-rail metro to some extent.

The idea of "interconnectors" as have been realised all over Europe was/is to exploit under existing/legacy heavy rail alignments which, because of the typical 19th century rail alignment configuration (terminal stations dotted around the periphery of the city cores), can not support decent metro-level of service because of the lack of through-running in the centre.

Heavy rail tunnels and new alignments in urban or even sub-urban areas are extremely expensive - particularly the stations as the platforms are huge requiring very expensive stations. Thus the classic European (and now British - with Crossrail in London) formation is to choose the shortest/least cost connecting tunnel that allows you to use existing alignments to support through-running metro-like frequencies.

Any brand-new urban rail alignments and tunnels which do NOT connect existing heavy rail lines at both ends, should be to metro/ML-type standards, not heavy rail - they are cheaper and easier to build and allow more flexibility in terms of curvatures and gradients and passengers prefer higher frequencies.

Thus I would NOT be in favour of heavy rail extensions in the city itself except for some sort of interconnector. I do think Tallaght needs a new/proper rail connection but I would serve it using an ML type system (say going to Coolock/Howth Junction on the other side).

If the core of the heavy rail system is sorted out (with an interconnector), then further heavy rail extensions should be at the outer periphery - like to Navan - where the costs are relatively low.

Ultimately there are more 1600 gauge lines in the city which could be utilised by adding branches. That's why I'm suggesting the Tallaght branch from Inchicore - a much cheaper way than tunnelling a Metro under Rathfarmham and Harold's Cross.

What about 1600 gauge lines but with shorter platforms (say 80m). The only real reason to have such long platforms (170m) is Inter-city trains (high capacity, less frequent). So unless the interconnector is needed for Belfast-Cork (which would defeat the purpose of frequent Metro style trains), then we shouldn't rule out branches from the existing 1600 network within the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It's not just intercity that needs it. Current DART trains are 180 m long.

Once you decide to only run half-length services, you may as well go with an automated metro, which can get your capacity back up by running far more frequently.

Advertisement