Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Played his hand well.

It's well within England's wheelhouse to give us an absolute battering, which might get a bandwagon rolling in his favour. English journos are notoriously short sighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is definitely adding some spice to the game but it's a scary prospect seeing this group of England players with a manager who will 'let them play'

Occasion will be good, taking there time announcing the kick off time. Too much boozing time if its 5pm as originally planned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I hope he gets it full time. They deserve each other.

Lee Carsley managing England against us isn’t scary. LOL. He was under qualified for our job when he was flavour of the month for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sekond

I see the kick off has been confirmed for the England match for 5pm. That's a lot of drinking time pre-match. (Have tickets but still trying to decided whether better off watching at home - more from the perspective of getting there/back with young teen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You'll be grand, they'll be tons of security everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

If i was the young teen, I'd murder you if you didn't bring me. Theyll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Even if some eejits do kick off, you'll very likely be safe but she'll have a story to tell, do not deny her!

I wasn't much older than she is now, when I was meant to go to the 1995 Lansdowne Road match. Was meant to be sitting in the lower west stand too. Stupid family stuff getting in the way. 🤣 So yes, even if does go a bit wrong, maybe it would be wrong to deny her a better story than mine.

(Current plan after thinking about it overnight, is to go as planned, and if things do start looking dodgy, we might break our usual rule of never leaving before the end, and try to slip out before the crowds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I wonder will smzodics be in the Blackburn squad tonight. Still no sign of him moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

Lawal looking to be on his way to Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Any word on when individual tickets for the England game will go onsale?

And I believe he hasn't played for them during pre season either so this could be his first game since the internationals.

Pity Stoke are a basket case of a club.

Don't think they will go on individual sale. Might have to buy the package if you want a ticket.

Can see him getting the job for the '26 WC, unless Poch because a viable option for them. If it's basically between Potter or Howe can see the FAI giving Carsley a chance on a short term two year deal.

Last two major tournaments England have lost were won by coaches with one having no club management experience whatsoever and the others experience only coming in the fourth and fifth tier of Spain football.

Don't think they'll batter us and wouldn't rule out a draw. Hallgrimsson likely to stick ten men behind the ball and strong home crowd. Can see the new manager bounce going in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Lee Carsley officially appointed as Interim England Head Coach

https://x.com/England/status/1821894205087637799

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Szmodics on the bench for Blackburn tonight, while Cashin starts for Derby.

Luca Connell has been made Barnsley club captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

And scores, as does Stephen Quinn at 38!!!!,can't believe he's still playing. Sammie scored from bench

Scored a cracker of a goal too did Quinn. Hopefully Luca's illness is behind him for this season. Think he would have gotten a move if he wasn't out for 4 months with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Szmodics picking up where he finished last season too. Hopefully he gets a move sorted this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Still three weeks left in the window but it feels like a lot of our players haven't got the moves we'd hope over the summer. Very quiet on the likes of Kelleher, Moran, Johnston, Obafemi, Ogbene, Cullen, Anselm García McNulty and you wouldn't be surprised now if they stayed where they are.

As of yet O'Shea, Lawal, Idah, Hodge, Szmodzics, Cannon still haven't confirmed moves or loans although all have been linked and you'd expect most of them to get it done by September.

Egan, Connolly, Hendrick still without clubs.

Hopefully we see a bit of action on this front in the next few weeks.

Kelleher linked with move to Juventus. Can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Kelleher not on bench, despite 2 GK named

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Rega

Liverpool playing a second friendly this evening. He'll play that one. They've split the squad for the two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I read somewhere this morning that Liverpool are close to signing the Valencia keeper. Not sure what that means for Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

Rumour is they want to sign him and loan him out until Allison leaves.

• Advertisement

Szmodics closing in on Ipswich move according to reports.

Jamie McGrath has started the season in good form. Two games, two goals, and two assists. Tranksfermarkt says he played LM and Livescore says RM. Either way think if Hallgrimsson does go with 442 he'll likely cover LM and RM.

John O'Shea officially announced as assistant head coach with Paddy McCarthy and Gudmundur Hreidarsson joining as assistant coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's great - particularly happy with the latter two. Paddy McCarthy is one of the most exciting young Irish coaches around I think, and Hreidarsson has been with Hallgrimsson throughout his career, so it's good to have him on board as well.

Would like to see O'Shea do what McCarthy has already done so well, and get in with a proper premier league team for the longer term as a side-gig, where he can manage their underage sides and finally start getting some proper minutes on the sideline managing games.

Yeah it's good to see a highly rated coach like McCarthy stick around and agree that it would be good to see O'Shea try find himself a gig like McCarthy had.

While the chances of O'Shea succeeding Hallgrimsson are slim imo and it's only underage football it's still better than nothing.

Maybe consider having O'Shea replace Crawford at the end of this year. Nations League should be enough time for O'Shea to help Hallgrimsson get up to speed with things.

There's a chance that our WC qualifiers don't start until September 2025. U21s next qualifiers won't start till then either. So handy enough to sort something where O'Shea could be involved in both set ups for March and June 2025.

Might are new manager be taking a watching brief at Luton v Burnley ?

Hopefully as Ogbene (RWB), O'Shea, and Cullen are starting. Luke McNally is on the bench but no sign of Obafemi.

Looks like Celtic and Norwich have agreed a fee for Idah. Though they've dragged their heels for this long and still ended up paying £9.5M for him (£8.5M with £1M add ons plus a 15% sell on clause supposedly).

Dara O'Shea on the score sheet.

Man of the match too. Hopefully gets his PL move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

2 goals so far from Smzodics tonight in the league cup

Haven't seen anything to suggest O' Shea would deserve to take Crawfords job. Maybe Jim will want a club gig, but otherwise I think he's doing a pretty good job and deserves to keep it.

No he’s not. He’s doing a horrendous job and should be sacked. The football we play with him at U21 level is muck. I can understand playing practical pragmatic football at senior level against superior opponents but the youth teams should be trying to play with a bit of flair and optimism. Crawford is a terrible manager for that age group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

2nd in the group with good performances against the bigger teams such as Italy and Norway and still a good shot at qualifying. I wouldn't describe that as a horrendous job, I'd reduce the hyperbole a bit if I was you tbh.

I watched the team play a couple of times, it was horrendous, it was muck. That’s my opinion after I actually watched them. It was disappointing and disheartening to watch a team of young players playing that sort of muck.

If you disagree that’s fine I wouldn’t dare try to dictate to you what your opinion is, and I’d suggest that you shouldn’t try to do that with others if I was you. TBH.

Wind your neck in there.

Mod Edit: Warning applied for this post

Post edited by Necro on

This is a very amusing overreaction and all, but I'd disagree, Jim is doing a fine job imo, took on Kenny's work and has kept the team competitive at the top of groups, something that wasn't happening for decades previously.

Lost on Penalties to an eventual finalist last time around, and Connolly missed a sitter if I'm remembering correctly.

Well I tried watching them and I’m far from a purist and value pragmatic football when necessary which I think was a huge flaw with Kenny. When I watched Crawfords U21 team it wasn’t amusing, it was like watching paint dry.

With young players it really shouldn’t be about that. Winning is always important but with younger players it should be less so. I would replace Crawford, not the right fit for that job in my view.

I'd argue the u21's knowing how to win is more important than ever given how many of them are consistently being promoted to seniors.

I generally watch all the u21 games and never considered them a bad watch personally. Think the 3-2 loss to Norway was poor, but they scored a few excellent shots from distance if I remember correctly, and they really should have seen out an Italy win but conceded in the 96th minute to Gnonto who played a lot in the Championship last year. They're doing well against teams at a very high level.

They're not perfect, an away loss to Montenegro in 2021 was poor, but they've consistently pretty much done as well as the u21's have ever. Do people not remember what it was like before Kenny came in and Jim took it on?

Jim's not done anything to suggest he's a problem for me, he's constantly rebuilding a team who loses its best players to senior football and keeping it competitive. I imagine in the last 4/5 years our u21's have seen far more promotions to senior football than the average 1st/2nd/3rd seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Really? They might not be as open and as good to watch as they were under Kenny but compared to the Don Givens and Noel King reigns the results are better and I'd argue the matches are a better watch too. Already this campaign the home matches against Italy and Turkey were very good games to watch and the results weren't too bad either even if the late equaliser against Italy was a tough one.

As always a performance review should be done at the end of the campaign but to suggest sacking him now as you seem to have done is frankly ludicrous. You're entitled to your opinion but we're equally entitled to disagree with it and suggest you tone it down and/or change it.

• Advertisement

What’s this “we” business. Speak for yourself. I disagree and I think your opinion is typical of what’s wrong with football in Ireland. The “ah sure it’ll do attitude”. We don’t seem to have that in rugby for example where we appear to have got to a stage where we consistently produce attacking confident players. It starts with the young players. That U21 role is important in that.

That’s my opinion and if you don’t like it that’s your problem, I won’t be “toning it down” because you can’t handle it. I suggest you take on board my opinion instead of reacting against it. It’s just a suggestion though, if that’s alright with you.

Advertisement