Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

signed, but some uphill stuggle there - 1 million signatures required..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a valid and noble exercise, but 1 million signatures feels like an incredibly high bar (probably by design to ensure credibility), but also I gotta quibble on the details here.

This initiative calls to require publishers that sell or license videogames to consumers in the European Union (or related features and assets sold for videogames they operate) to leave said videogames in a functional (playable) state.

Specifically, the initiative seeks to prevent the remote disabling of videogames by the publishers, before providing reasonable means to continue functioning of said videogames without the involvement from the side of the publisher.

The initiative does not seek to acquire ownership of said videogames, associated intellectual rights or monetization rights, neither does it expect the publisher to provide resources for the said videogame once they discontinue it while leaving it in a reasonably functional (playable) state.

Emphasis mine: what is a "functional (playable) state" mean here 'cos with the best will in the world & as much as it really sucks when your favourite game's servers are killed off - data centres cost resources. A LOT of money and manpower to keep running and even if committing to some kind of code update to support dedicated 3rd party servers, again that's gonna cost money.

I 100% support the theory, just think it'd die on the vine through quibbling and discussions on the implementation and requirements of the companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In theory its a great idea which I support but there could be unintended consequences for such a law as it could have a chilling effect on the industry where companies will not develop as many games (with an online aspect) unless the game is a lock for long term success.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most of these games that have been preserved by community have been due to self funded private servers. I'd be pretty happy if the devs just gave people the ability and code to run private servers when the game is abandoned.

The EU was also supposed to look into loot boxes and gambling in games with a report in June but it got delayed, hopefully because they saw how widespread and scummy it is. There was a lootbox petition in the UK that reached the required amount of signatures but that got a cursory response thanks to the slimy Tories being in power.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The re-release of Tomba (aka Tombi to us Europeans) is out today - finally liberated from the PS1 disc and old PSN release. Will be picking this one up on Steam to have a more permanent way to play it. The sequel - which I've never played - is also coming out at some unspecified point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's only a relatively recent phenomenon that most games have relied so heavily on 'official' servers. Lots of classic games retain vibrant and active communities thanks to private servers and local hosting.

Now, don't get me wrong - there are also plenty of games these days that are more complex than a simple team deathmatch, whether down to persistent online worlds or complex progression systems. Those are no doubt more difficult to run privately. But some regulation requiring the publisher to at least support some kind of community support (even if some features are necessarily pared back) would be very worthwhile, even with the inevitable complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Cordell

Open sourcing the code is problematic without significant effort to ensure no legal liabilities will result - things like infringing patents and license violations could be very common in code that was never developed as open source.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Luna84

Started Crackdown 2 yesterday. I'm actually enjoying it. I played the first one years ago but stopped gaming for a few years in and around when this game came out. Now this is straight from memory but it was easier to climb in the first game. I remember climbing all building but it's been a long time so…

Xbox 360 game so graphics ain't the best. It's mad someone at release would have been saying wow this game has such good graphics. Still ok though. Only reason I said I'd play it is I have Crackdown 3 downloaded on my Series X for a few years but never got around to actually playing it and I owned Crackdown 2 from games with gold so I said I may as well play 2 before jumping to 3.

Played the first chunk of Thank Goodness You're Here and it's wonderful. It simply exudes confidence in the presentation - extremely slick and distinctive. The very simple gameplay boils down to walking, jumping and haphazardly whacking things and people, but it's very funny watching the various consequences of that play out. It's in the same broad 'comedy game' wheelhouse as Untitled Goose Game (no surprise that Panic was drawn to both), but the tone, humour and art / sound design are operating on a delightfully different plain to that game.

The trailer was so good it set expectations high, but thankfully the finished game lives up to that promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching Blood of Zeus on Netflix and just thinking I would like a sequel to Immortals Fenyx Rising, up which I know will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is it any good, or another terrible Western attempt at anime or did the Korean animators do a good job and somehow the voice acting is also good?

And yes, a sequel to IFR would be amazing. The experimental dlc didn't land well so doubt it'll ever get another look, but it was a great game. It was just a game, and didn't try to be anything more. Wasn't hard, but thoroughly enjoyable throughout with some great voice acting and dialogue. The best Assassins Creed game that isn't AC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Blood of Zeus is grand but not great. Think it's the same studio that did Castlevania. Will watch the final season when it comes out next year.

I think I said before about immortals but when it came out it was criticised for being a rip off of BotW. Like more BotW was a bad thing. It had similarities but was a fun, light-hearted game and the main character (female version) was likeable, in my opinion. Wasn't a fan of the DLC with the new camera angle at first but got used to it. Just meant having to relearn a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished my third playthrough of Baldurs Gate 3. Still found a bunch of new things here and there, and went with a Paladin build which was f*cking great to be able to just smack so much sh*t rather than having to balance spell slots, element types etc as much. So yeah, really enjoyed third playthrough.

That said, it was kind of bittersweet, because I f*cked up my ending.

Both previous times I let Karlach become the mind flayer. I was on the fence this time before it came up, but realised it was probably still the best thing to do. Went to talk to her.... realised she wasn't in my party this time. So I bit the bullet and became the mind flayer this time.

Then I get to the end and Karlach is about to burn up, so I say me, her and Wyll will go to Avernus together so she's not alone, and she agrees. Then I realise, I've been romancing Shadowheart this playthrough. I just completely abandoned her.

But man, what a damn game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A big gaming Twitter personality finally getting around and to Ace Combat 7 and preaching it's greatness to the unclean masses is bringing a tear to my eye today.

It's on switch now and always on sale. No excuses.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I love games, but don't think I've ever been aroused by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I didn't think it was a typo just par for course for big gaming Twitter personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It reminds me of the time those idiots nearly creamed themselves at the announcement of Shemue 3.

It was Gene Park. One of the good ones that isn't a click chasing streamer.

Interesting thread here about the origins of the Phantom Blade story:

• Advertisement

The enshitification of the internet. We had the entire knowledge of the human race at our fingertips and it's being destroyed by shareholder and corporate exec hubris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm going through my collector's editions at the moment. Will probably sell some or all of them.

The packaging for the collector's edition of Ori And The Will Of The Wisps is beautiful.

Steelbook:

Main packaging:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I do love me a good packaging. The PSVR2 had a good one iirc. Sony are pretty good at the glueless/stapleless boxes. Wonder if any of my CEs are worth anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I wonder when the Ori games will arrive on PlayStation, since MS are now putting XBox games on that platform.

Have tried a few hours of Divinity 2, but it's really not grabbing me. Feels like it's going to be a slog to get to a point where the combat starts to get fun, and everything else around the game just feels uninteresting. Think I'm going to abandon ship.

Think I might finally start my Bloodborne replay. Had planned to start last Xmas, but it got pushed back a little, then I played Tekken 8 pretty solidly for what felt like 22 years, then Elden Ring, BG3, few other smaller games etc.

See a few streamers have started playthroughs following Elden Ring etc, and seeing gameplay of it has reignited my interest in it, so think I might just go for it.

Just have to remember; no Hunters Axe. No using spin-to-win. It's why Bloodborne ranks low on my Souls list because the combat felt boring, which was really just my fault. Gotta learn to use parry and pick a different weapon, use trick weapon combos etc.

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭recyclops

That's what's happening with me and nioh. I'm enjoying it but I have one way of fighting and it's doing well so seems boring so far. Some amount of stuff in the game but I literally do the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah I occasionally tried other weapons, but because of the way the upgrade materials work in Bloodborne I could just never get them to the same level as my Hunters Axe and didn't feel it was worth farming Chalice Dungeons for them, so I always just went back to the Axe. But it also meant I never even needed to look at the guns for parrying (bar Lady Maria's fight) or basically anything else… just spin-to-win.

I'm hoping this pushes Bloodborne up my Souls rankings because I think the combination of the combat feeling boring (again, mostly my fault) and still being too new to Souls games and not understanding or knowing what was going on half the time (especially with the Winter Lanterns & Mensis section which irritated the holy hell out of me), I might enjoy it or at least appreciate it a lot more this time.

• Advertisement

In pretty unsurprising news…

Borderlands film getting absolutely slated from early reviews. Individual performances seem to be generally okay, but pretty much everything else being ripped to shreds.

Advertisement