Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The southern hemisphere unions are particularly unhappy with France and Ireland, whose reluctance to sign up to what was billed as a Super Bowl of rugby led to the Six Nations blocking a deal worth £200m each for four events to be staged every two years in Doha from 2026.

Good work France and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leigh halfpenny has signed for harlequins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cityam.... Nah.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Same lads who were the only ones reporting on Sexton's investigation and potential ban to be fair. It is a bloody weird paper that clearly has one odd contact somewhere deep in rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Here, here!!

It would be a great pleasure to hear if the Welsh and Scottish are hoppin mad.

Hope the tournament never happens. Although I would like a watered down version (Emerging Ireland type) in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed - The tournament itself was a stupid idea , looking to host it in the Middle East was just offensive.

Kolisi looking to leave R92 early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Looks like the Sharks are interested in him returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mike Catt heading to the Waratahs (this might have been known previously but I think it's news to me)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Never thought I’d see the day, next to Croke Park I thought it was probably the most untouchable stadium name in the world.

I mean not even “Allianz Twickenham”. The trouble is, Allianz title sponsor eight other stadiums, including two that are also named “Allianz Stadium”. (Though Saracens ground is no longer among them, which is probably just as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,065 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah was thinking why they couldn't just name it 'Allianz Twickenham Stadium' like Cork GAA do here for PUC

Will always be 'Twickenham' to the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭FtD v2

Yet another prime example of a highly touted Springbok moving overseas and then just mailing it in and giving what looked like virtually zero effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,599 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

City AM is a strange publication. I had reason to keep an eye on it for work and it's actually pretty good. Does good summaries on some niche topics in legal, business and finance. Usually pretty good.

Thoughts on the new rules in the rugby championship?

20 minute red card,

Clock for scrums, line outs and penalties

No sacking the scrum half.

I imagine the clocks will be good and red card and scrum half rules will take an adjustment but will be fine before long.

I hate the 20 min red card, just disagree with it and think it sends a bad message.

On the others:

Very much in favour of the set piece clock - just seems logical.

Get the logic of not allowing the sacking of SHs too.

There was another change you omitted I think: the refs are not going to whistle line out throws that aren't straight if uncontested by the opposition - I'm very much in favour of this rule too.

Oh yeah I'm fine with the crooked throw in unopposed line outs. Just play on.

The 20 minute red card is the big one. I'll have to see it in action before making a decision. I suspect it will be fine overall.

I wonder if the number of red cards will increase since the overall penalty to the team has been reduced. I doubt it woukd be a dramatic increase but I suspect there will be an increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

"20 minute red cards" is one of, if not the worst, rule changes in recent memory.

Being reduced to 14 men for 20 minutes is not a reasonable punishment for potentially taking out another teams key player. You could play 79 minutes without your star player due to injury whilst the opposition only suffers for 20 minutes. It's farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Jacovs

On the flip side, your star player could go to tackle someone and accidentally make head contact, earning him a red card by the letter of the law, after the first minute, then your own player is sent off for 79 minutes and the game is over as a contest.

Other team's player is fine and continues on.

Needs a balance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Deliberate and dangerous acts are still full red cards.

The 20 minute red card is a great concept and removes the only inequitable sanction in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭testtech05

it will be interesting to see how it will be policed and how they decide something is deliberate or not. Will wait and see it in action I think.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but adjudicating on "deliberate" acts is very very difficult in the pressure cooker situation of a ongoing game.

Guaranteed it'll be used as a cop out in big games by some referees.

If something is red card worthy, then it's a red card and they're gone from the pitch. Use the bunker system if required to analyse it and keep it at a yellow if it's not red card worthy, but having three sets of cards is frankly stupid.

If I'm not mistaken, this all stems from a desire to "retain the spectacle" of the game which tells you everything you need to know - don't punish players if possible because the game might then be boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

"Accidental" head contact isn't a red card though.

If you start in too high a tackle position then it isn't accidental, it's reckless.

Anything truly accidental is already mitigated to a yellow.

fair point, but to me its there to cover those fouls which were clear red cards "back in the day" ie gouging, punching, stamping etc, general scumbag behaviour. We saw two red cards for the fijian drua in a game against the rebels this season, and id imagine its those kind of actions which will be viewed as full red cards under this variation.

Those more "technical" ones, like say Tom Curry on the Argentina in the RWC which is down to a mixture of timing, technique and dynamism, then im all for the 20 min red card.

Lets not forget, red cards almost didnt exist in the game up until the late 2010s. There has only ever been 20 red cards in the six nations, and only 6 of those occured pre-2020. The game sanctions are changing all the time to becoming more and more strict (something we all should agree on, and in the main, think we do) but the actual sanctions available to the referees are still as they were when introduced in 1995 (sin bin came in in 1999). The range of fouls, and how they are refereed, has increased exponentially since then, so i see this as a method to also increase the range of sanction available to refereeing team.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I just can't get behind the 20-Minute red card at all.

I don't see a material difference between reckless and deliberate for high tackles , tackles in the air etc.

Last second change of height/direction etc. is already covered with the mitigation rules so "accidental" is covered

"I didn't bother to make an effort to tackle properly" isn't really different to "I went high deliberately" in my book.

I couldn't give a toss about impacting the "spectacle" or the "contest" , reducing the sanction for foul play to protect either of those things is utterly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

20 minute red cards pander to those who choose not to tackle properly. Let's reward foul play. Madness.

But if it's a red card, it's a red card. If something is not quite a red card, that's what the yellow card is for. And if it's in-between, empower the bunker system to make a decision.

How can anyone tell 100% of the time what's deliberate and what's not? And what's to stop players playing on the edge knowing that once it doesn't look deliberate, the risk isn't as high as it was. The law lowers the punishment for being reckless.

"SANZAAR explain that the rationale behind this variation is that the individual, not the game, is punished for red card offences." - Which is an absolute load of BS.

Am I right in saying that under the 20-minute red card , the player sent off cannot come back on the field but is replaced by a sub?

Or do they get to come back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

100% agree on this, its an absolute cop out. either tackle lower or hit higher and take risk of getting a red. when head injuries are as serious as they are, the game should be doing absolutely everything it can to mitigate risk as much as possible but this is going backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah that's my understanding too. A ref can give a straight red and that means the team is down a man for the rest of the match. If the ref seems it meets YC threshold, then it goes to bunker for review and can be upgraded to a 20 minute red. I like it.

What if a player gets a second yellow? Is it a 20 minute red or the full match?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just continued cowardice from WR, talking out both sides of their mouth, as ever. You cannot encourage players to tackle upright and then pretend to be shocked when they inevitably clash heads.

None of their pissing about has had the slightest impact on players and coaches who continue to take the risk of tackling upright as the rewards still far outweigh the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

I have a nephew playing for his uni team in London. Recently he got a bad concussion during a game, couldn't remember anything, pale in the face, disoriented, etc. Bad one. Anyhow, afterwards no-one got in touch w any family and coaches didn't organise for him to get to hospital or even get home. Luckily one of his team mates texted his mum and got him a taxi to his brothers house, they took him to A&E. I was surprised the coaches/team didn't make sure he was looked after, is that common?

Not at all.

Here certainly coaches and referees have to fill out a "serious injury report" in the event of someone going off injured and there should be protocols in place that a player suspected of concussion is not left alone and is at the very least handed off to medical professionals successfully.

College teams can sometimes be a bit hit and miss though as some smaller schools are largely player/student led so they canbe a bit lacking on the admin fron , but that's still pretty bad form from the team though.

Yeah, shocking. Ive never come across it before but have no experience of uni rugby in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I coach young kids and we have to fill out a form through the irfu online after a suspected concussion. Can’t remember the exact protocols but certainly we had to follow up with the parents after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Enzokk

In fairness to World Rugby the 20-minute red card is something that was pushed especially by New Zealand and SANZAR. New Zealand used it in Super Rugby in 2020 already to not impact the "integrity" of the match. Which is all rubbish, you either believe in player safety or you don't. We already see players are not tackling lower and that is why you see head on head contact, even with the threat of a red card. But reducing the sanction once again will not impact trying to change behaviour of players in tackling lower. It is a trial and we will see if the other nations actually go for it as well. I don't think the threat of lawsuits have hit the Southern Hemisphere yet so they are still a little blaisé about head injuries. I think all of the top people and commentators say the right thing on record but off the record they are probably thinking and saying the game has gone soft.

As for the other changes, what is to stop a team that is being destroyed in the scrum from just not getting ready for it? Your choice seems to be a penalty if you scrum or free kick if you don't, that does not seem right. Can the referee give a penalty instead? The problem at the moment that a strong scrum being an automatic penalty is too much in favour on the one side but this seems to be a way to mitigate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The perfect example of this for me is Ewels red card against Ireland in 2022. That will be used as an example of an accidental head clash and will be a 20 minute red card. England went into every tackle in the first two minutes high with a dominant hit. They knew exactly what they were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

On the scrum point - after a free kick the referee is supposed to escalate to penalty for repeat infringments.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's an accidental head-clash the same way it's an accident when you crash into someone after 5 pints because for some reason that's the legal limit and there's no public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This is the worst part of the rule. Bringing on someone who doesn't play the position of the guy who has gone off will result in rearranging the team on the fly and could be equally damaging to the spectacle of the game. The logic behind it is nonsense.

If a prop gets a 20 minute red and your front row subs are on, do you get to bring back on someone who as already been subbed off? Or is it uncontested scrums and you can bring on whoever is unused on the bench?

front row replacements are opened back up on a red card, the very same way they are opened up with a yellow card under current laws. There is no great new alteration to the status quo here.

if anything, it will rid us of the crazy spectacle of uncontested scrums causing a team to lose an EXTRA player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

And any game that has an appointed ref from any of the 4 provincial associations/society has to fill in form for any player removed from their games who were suspected of getting a concussion.

That's my experience. I played uni rugby in England and it was all player run. Coaching, organising matches and travel. They had no procedures or facilities for injury. Just get yersel to the hospital if you want. Nobody was going to check. There just weren't resources.

That was 10 years ago. I hope it's improved since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The increase in red cards for high tackles has been a pretty big change for NZ. Sonny Bill Williams's red against the Lions in 2017 was the first red card for 50 years for NZ if I'm not mistaken. But they've had a relative glut of them since then. It has to have had an impact on their ability to keep their win % up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I wonder what will happen if a prop is red carded who has replaced an injured team mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Probably the same as currently happens, if they can’t bring on a prop it goes to uncontested scrums and another man goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Australia getting a spanking fromSA in Brisbane.

0-33 68 mins gone

Australia looked lost out there. Joe is starting at a very low base compared to any of his previous jobs, it's a big ask. SA continue to improve their wide game, Kriel has become a fantastic player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭testtech05

Lovely start by Argentina shame they couldn't finish off the score

• Advertisement
Advertisement