Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So even the final words have no new insights, (because it's not a study is an opinion piece with no relevant data) and also still does not contradict what I said.

The article does not discuss macroscopic studies. Its simply throws it in. Quite the omission if that was a central argument. Its like a school kid repeating all the key words from a question, but not actually discussing them.

I simply said I've seen masks in hospital first hand. Then said it was ironic to be going to hospital if not believing in medicine.

"Heres an article that says nothing", is in no way a reasoned response to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

In a word... Nope.

Had the shot, and no side effect what so ever, everyone ai know who had the shot had had no side effect.

Would happily get a vaccination again if we see another global pandemic.

Vaccines work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Face mask is such a loose term. I have no doubt a properly worn N95 single use mask would offer protection of sorts. I have been fully trained in donning and doffing PPE. The correct procedure for a N95 is time consuming and complicated. The use of facemasks recently was comical. Those cheap blue masks that were reworn several times. Were filthy and covered in bacteria, Not to mention the cost and pollution generated. A waste of time/money and possibly hazardous to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

Even those cheap blue masks reduced infections - because they reduced the aerosol spray from coughs and sneezed.

And by the way I never had a filthy blue mask, this is another common meme about them spread by the anti-vaxxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Covid spreads on aerosols and droplets exhaled from your mouth/nose, anything that limits that reduces the spread. Have a scarf over your mouth/nose, you'll exhale less than if you weren't wearing it. Some masks perform better than others. Remember this doesn't stop the spread, it reduces it (and distances of the particles)

Also, it's 2024, so whenever I come across someone "just asking questions" about masks, 100% of the time it's turned out to be some contrarian denier who is playing games, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

And to pre-empt any potential quackery

https://www.factcheck.org/2023/03/scicheck-what-the-cochrane-review-says-about-masks-for-covid-19-and-what-it-doesnt/

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-masks-effectiveness-covid-19-5641587-Dec2021/

And as for this

» Clogging up landfill with Covid infected pieces of cloth if they were actually filtering Covid

Well yes, there was mask waste everywhere so I agree with that. However Covid, depending on strain, generally doesn't live more than a few days (depending on surface), so the masks would have been "Covid infected" for very long.

Interesting fact: Masks and social distancing also had the side effect of dramatically reducing cases of seasonal flu, another respiratory disease also spread by, you guessed it, aerosols and droplets from mouths/noses.

• Advertisement

I agree on all the above. So are you happy to state that Muslim women should have a much lower rate of Covid infection than men? Because of their obvious obsessive mask wearing. By the way they dont..

I lived in a heavily populated Muslim district of Europe, I only saw half a dozen full Niqab's in years there, the vast majority were open Hijabs, so I guess would depend on the area, the prevalence of full face coverings, how effective they were and other factors. Likewise in e.g. Iran, the majority just cover the hair/neck.

You should come to Ireland..So do you think a hijab works as a face mask or should they remove it and put on a Face mask?

So by the video if you have Covid infection your droplets are being contained within a face mask. Hopefully. So next time you exhale where do all the trapped Covid particles go? You have just condensed them into the fabric of a mask. And you are going to walk around a shop with the mask still on with all these viral particles being spread around. Would you not have been better off letting your cough or sneeze disperse naturally in close proximity without a mask to drag it around a whole supermarket or equivalent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As someone who sat through classes on it, can you explain which part was time consuming or complicated. Yes there is a specific way to do things to get the most from them but I never find it onerous. This said, I'm the type who realises that going over the speed limit on the M50 end to end by a decent speed doesn't actually save you very much time so I could be the wrong target audience.

• Advertisement

If you sat through a class on it there is a reason for a class on it so that should be self explanatory.

But you were fully trained right? Just like me. Are you seriously telling me, like most of those type of classes, you couldn't have taught them in 5 minutes? Are you also trying to tell me that you think an incorrectly fitted N95 is useless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's illogical.

It can't be both contained and not contained.

If it's trapped then it's not going to be spread. If it's not trapped, then there's nothing to spread.

I'm not saying that's how it works. But your examples as you've defined here make no sense logically. You've created a logic trap for yourself.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is not about masks

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

Bunch of damn cowards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Deleted

Slava Ukrainii

My mother in laws partner who is a bit worried about everything, panicked when he found out she had Covid this week. Both elderly, both had their shots. She got a slight sniffle and felt tired. In the end, despite his panic, he didn't even notice it. Another two who were glad they had got their shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…fcuking hell, seriously! seriously there wasnt a widescale conspiracy, there really wasnt, yes there were fcuk ups from governments and the pharma industry, pandemics are natural, they have always happened, and always will happen, yes there are serious questions about how and where this originated….

…please explain to us what you know now about this?

Have your bingo cards ready, coming up:

• "It's just a little flu"
    • Excess deaths
    • Myocarditis
    • The guy who fell off the ladder
    • "They told us"
    • Great Barrington Declaration
    • Doctor (nurse) Campbell
    • That old Nobel prize winner
    • And every anti-lockdown trope

please be specific in what negligence and lies took place, and by whom?

its clearly obvious if the success of the global vaccine program didnt take place, we would now be in an extremely dangerous position, with the extreme likelihood of a serious global economic and social crisis, including widescale deaths directly and indirectly from the virus…

…other major benefits are now starting to occur directly from the success of the vaccine program including major advancements in the treatment of particular cancers….

yes, i think our government actually done a good job of handling the pandemic, this is compared to other countries such as our nearest neighbors, uk and the us etc…..

no, not all decisions were good, some were bad, this was to be expected, as no living human or government for that matter, had ever experienced such a crisis, i.e. fcuk ups were inevitable…..

again, please be specific on what lies were spread, and from whom?

yes, there has been major benefits from the whole experience, including those mentioned, i.e. major advancements in treatments etc, which more than likely would not have occurred due to what was discovered from the pandemic and the subsequent vaccines, these are the facts, there truly has been major advancements in cancer research from all of this….

yes, hopefully we have learned a lot from the experience of a major pandemic, again, these are a part of our existence, they always have been, and possible could become more common, for various reasons…..

yes, there probably were/are some lies, including from the pharmaceutical industry as a whole, and from some governments, both the us and Chinese governments have a lot to answer for, as theres a possibility of a biological weaponry element to the virus….

Ah my apologies, I thought you were here to push the same script as a "new" poster I've seen dozens of times on the conspiracy forum

In that case, to address your earlier points, the vaccines are very safe (that doesn't mean 100% safe of course, there have been rare issues out of billions of doses delivered). The pharmaceutical companies did a pretty good job at producing the vaccines on scale within that time-frame and with a good safety record.

The disease was brand new, killing people and spreading rapidly around the world hence the alarm and concern reflected in the media.

Only the Austrian government threatened to make it mandatory because there was low uptake there which was causing significant issues at hospitals, that alone increased vaccinations and they didn't have to follow through (that aside there have been mandatory vaccinations, e.g. if you want to travel to any number of African countries you are required to be vaccinated against Yellow Fever)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭csirl

To answer the OPs question;

Absolutely not. I got all my vaccines as quickly as I could. I believe this is a major reason why I never got covid in spite of working in a job where I was exempt from travel restrictiions and had to attend my workplace nearly every day.

didnt keep up with vaccines myself, and got covid, may or may not have been related, but id rather not get it again….

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Photobox

How do you know you never got covid, my father was asymptomatic, no symptoms whatsoever, he only got tested because he was sharing a house with someone who had covid, wouldn't have known otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't say ashamed because I was only following the advice at the time so got the 3 shots but won't be getting any more.

Never got sick from C19 but thats not to say I didn't get a light dose of it and just never knew it because my brother was laid up for 2 weeks with it and suffered the effects of it for months afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

SARS-Cov-2 = the virus

Covid 19 = the disease caused by the virus, i.e. symptoms.

That is not really what either of you are taking about but technically you can get infected with the virus without ever getting the disease (thanks to the vaccine/previous infection/robust immunity). So if they are asymptomatic they do not have Covid 19 (I think)…I know, I know, I am being pedantic, I apologize in advance.

Advertisement