Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit debate over use of the money

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

So kinda like how people with seperate accounts have to have a discussion around who is managing what expenses & the level of those including the split? Essentially the discussion has to take place in either scenario.

Also if my partner wants to spend the remainder of his salary (after we pay mortgage, bills & childcare) on whatever takes his fancy, off he can pop without talking to me about it. And vice versa. As long as it doesn't impact the family spending, then why should I have oversight on it or need to discuss it. It's his money or my money that we've earned ourselves.

I meant I get that if there's only 1 of the couple working, it makes sense to do it that way but if both are working & earning comparable incomes, then neither should have to account to the other on their discretionary spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

yeah with separate accounts the discussion is way less, as you agree the split into bills and savings. This really only changes as people salaries change; the remainder of someone’s income is there's to spend freely , without consent or discussion. I think one single joint account is 1000% more likely to lead to potential arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭SodiumCooled

why do adults need to discuss everything they do with their money? Once household bills and paid then you shouldn’t have to be getting consent to spend your own money. Seems daft to me.

If I was plannig a big purchase e.g. a car I would mention it out of interest as she might want to come along and see it etc but it would in no way be looking for or requesting consent nor would my wife try to stop me (or vice versa). We know ourselves what we can afford or not and trust each other to manage our money to ensure we aren’t short for important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭xyz13

I am in fav of a savings account until the child reaches 13yo, after that, let them have it to be used as pocket money.

The money saved between 0-13 to be handed over when they turn 18yo.

Bien faire et laisser dire...

Completely! I know there was more discussion when I was on maternity leave & not earning than normal as things did have to be planned out & we were living mainly off the joint account (or well I was).

We'd probably discuss expenses the size of cars a bit more because we share the cars but ultimately if my partner was buying a car out of his own money, he wouldn't have to talk to me. Definitely wouldn't need my consent (although I might caution it if there were big expenses coming up or something).

• Advertisement

that’s actually a really good idea, don’t have kids yet but seems like a fair amount of mula to be giving young teens. Not too excessive with the price of things these days.

yeah I’d be the same, she can of course buy a car with her own money but it would be odd for it not be brought up beforehand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Shoog

As I said before - relationships have become very transactional.

To my mind that's not very grown up and mature.

How is it transactional though? In fact I'd argue that they've become less transactional. A woman is no longer depending on a man to support her. The transaction there is clear - the husband will earn the money as his part & the woman would have stayed home to mind the children. Nowadays the load is actually more evenly spread between the 2. I don't necessarily need my partner to provide for me but I want him there & to provide for each other. Even my mam who is in her 70's agrees that while she & my dad had distinct roles, that's very different for us & not necessarily in a bad way.

I would also argue that it's very grown up & mature to not be reliant on another individual no matter your relationship to them. To be able to manage your own finances at the same time as ensuring the family finances are kept well is more responsibility to a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭limnam

Getting married means you have to only have a joint account?

Nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100%, every couple is different, we have separate accounts, and a joint account for the mortgage and bills. Some people only have separate, some people just have a joint one. Whatever works for the couple, it is weird how many people are saying a relationship is doomed over whether you have a joint account or not.

The OPs relationship sounds more doomed if it is worth falling out over what happens with the CB. He made his case about saving, she said no, if anyone thinks that is a hill worth dying on then that's up to them, I certainly wouldn't even think about it.

Yes agreed, something like a car would certainly come up in conversation lots before buying as it would be something you would be chatting on and showing the ads, going to look at the cars etc but never from a financial perspective as she would know I’d have done the maths and that I could afford it and not be told I should spend my money on other things.

Car might have been a bad example really but say I spend 1200 euro on a phone (which I’ve done) that would barely get a mention aside from “I’m getting a new phone”. I had been putting money aside for the above over a long period so while it looks a big outlay it was planned for.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Running a household responsibly between the pair of you, including the finances, and sharing the burden of all that entails, is literally the very definition of being a mature grown-up. Like, it's 75%+ of the entire "being an adult" thing. Discussing where the finances are going and where you might be able to cut back or splash out or afford this and that…….sounds pretty mature to me.

I grew up in the inner city Dublin and knew loads of scumbags who ruled the roost because they were "man of the house" and treated their wives like bold little kids that needed to be kept on a leash. Control freaks who'd baulk at handing over a few bob for school books but had no problem going for pints 4 nights a week. Kids wearing their school uniforms on weekends cos they'd no other clean clothes after the auldfella spunked his wages on the Friday night and there was no money to fix the washing machine etc. 40 year old, immature scumbags. Open and transparent discussion of the household budget is the exact opposite of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

OK. I appreciate this and know a lot of people work this way and you want to come across or identify as being very wealthy. Bragging is wonderful, but do you have the concept that some people aren't well off and have to pool their money together? Often this means even smaller purchases need to be discussed first. In other relationships couples just pool their money and buy what they want when they need it. They could even be insanely wealthy… they just don't mind pooling and are comfortable in that trust.

Your posting style is very familiar to a previous legendary, outspoken poster on these subjects!! 😉

This shouldn't be about who's wealthy and who's not.

It's just a bit of common sense between partners.

Assuming there's a joint back account where all the household expenses are taken from or some form of "shared pot"

What each do with their own few quid outside of that is really none of the others business.

Is it really all the very wealthy buying up new phones every year?

But in the case of the OP I find it highly unusual that the partner doesn't even want to discuss the child benefit.

I wasn't trying to come across as wealthy by any means I was just giving an example to get a point across, we are far from wealthy but we are not struggling either - just middle of the road like many. As regards the phone, I buy phones infrequently, generally when the old one is no longer usable. I had been putting small amounts of money aside over a long period towards a new one so when the time came it wasn't coming out of day to day spending or anything like that.

The only point I was making early in the thread is that different couples manage money in different ways, many who have posted here have said they do something similar to our way but one or two people found it unusual which is why the conversation continued.

Back when myself and my partner first met over 35years ago we bought a house together. At this point we setup a joint bank account and paid the mortgage and bills out of it.

We then decided that in order to make the next step we would save one whole wage for five years and live off one wage which went through the joint account.

We did and it allowed us to buy our next house outright. For those five years we had virtually no discretionary money to spend on ourselves and we needed absolute trust that we would both follow through on the plan.

Those decisions both set us up for the rest of our life and set a pattern of sharing and mutual trust which has served us very well ever since.

Its changed times we live in but those principles have served us well and have been inherited by our children who follow similar rules and have managed to buy property.

The idea you have your shared expenses and then the rest is free to spend on whatever you like is alien and seems very teenage to my mind. When your in a family that's what it's all about and the money you have is for the family.

It may sound preachy but that's just how I feel about these issues.

many people are happy owning one house. Your situation worked for you , well done. You are ignoring that many have joint savings account anyway . Giving up 5 years of your life seems completely alien and boring to me. Life is for living.

Thinking that people are teenagers for not doing what you did is fairly juvenile itself.

Having an independent bank account alongside a joint bank account has nothing to do with not wanting to share with someone or about lack of trust. Why would you be with someone you didn't trust?

But I'm failing to see why having your own bank account = lack of trust.

You and your partner came up with a financial plan that you thought would benefit you both. Congratulations.

It's not a case of kids going hungry because someone wants to spend on whatever they like.

You can live off one wage.

You can save up and buy a house with cash.

You can live frugally.

Your kids can buy properties.

You can do all this. With more than one bank account.

I know. It's hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Unless you are kicking them out of the family home, or charging them rent, then it seems very odd to hand over a significant amount of money to an 18 year old. It will be gone before the end of the summer in a lot of cases.

That money should be used for their education and maybe to help with big expenses they might have. They don't even need to know about those savings you kept specifically for them.

Save the big windfall for the will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah, I really can't get my head around this concept of "Let's hand over a wedge of cash that they didn't earn" to a teenager. I'm not really sure what that's supposed to be teaching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Trust your wife here. Sometimes a person just needs some discretionary spend without being questioned.

Allow her to do what she feels is the right thing, maybe some set aside and some for toys or clothes or whatever for the child.

Don’t get worked up about it. Allow her this freedom. It’ll work out for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I couldn't agree more. A 18 year old won't have a clue what to do with a wad of cash only how to spend it fast.

I remember my biggest lesson was my eldest son who was thought to save in a credit union account in his name every week or month etc. When he turned 18, he discovered he could go to the credit union and just take the money 🤑 that is a long story, nevertheless money was gone no a cent left 😛.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

As a side-point on the whole “what to do with the CB”,

If one can afford to not touch it I think it’s best that it be put into an investment fund that will accumulate much more than the CB itself, and if multiple children it can really add up over 18 years, especially if added to from time to time if one can afford to do so.

What to do with it when the children become young adults is interesting too, I think one way to treat the fund is as an education fund, as it means the children can exercise their will to do whatever course in whatever college they want, rent would be covered or part-covered, and a child that wants to stay at home for college or do an apprenticeship won’t draw as much from the fund, but the end goal is all children get to follow their preferred path into a trade or third level education.

The best gift one can give a child is to set them up to earn a good salary or at least that they could follow their chosen vocation whatever that may be.

In the long run that is the path to happiness for most people, and the cycle can continue for the next generation.

I don’t think the fund would stretch to a deposit on a property, maybe at the end of the child’s education and a few years of work the fund may have matured enough that each child could get a contribution towards a deposit, and that would really help keep options open, and hopefully keep interest rates as low as possible on a mortgage.

I’d expect a child would need to work for a few years to build up their savings before progressing to that stage in their mid to late twenties at the earliest. By then the fund may have matured a sizeable sum to help. Everybody’s situation will be different.

It might be a good idea to invest any surplus money into a fund that will accumulate, if you know how to do that, not just CB.

I would contest your assumption that letting the kid follow whatever path they want leads to happiness for most people. Most kids don't know what they want to do to begin with.

I would suggest using the money earlier to give them more experiences and extracurricular activities to better assess their abilities as children and adolescents. I think a lot of students go to college choosing courses almost on a whim, without any knowledge, and use first year college to find out whether they like the field.

This is Ireland. With all the benefits out there your child doesn't really need a trust fund. They need investment earlier in life to get ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

2 kids here and wife gets childrens allowance, I have never asked a single thing about it, am I wrong!?

Not necessarily. Probably depends on your financial well-being. I would say the majority of Irish husbands should take an interest in/or some responsibility for family finances (you might be labelled an untrusting control freak if you do though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Lgt

my ex wife saved all the children allowance as college funds. Eldest in university for the past 4 years and so far it has covered accommodation and college fee.

Advertisement