Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No they are not, they were crossing just as you came into view. I'm surprised you can't see that. Bring it to a Garda, at the very least you are getting an FPN for not having reasonable consideration. Legalities aside, there is no call for it whatsoever, it's basically the same thing as a punishment pass that many posters here have been guilty of.

Swing right, after slowing and looking over your shoulder, pass on the right, simples.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can even see the cars ahead stutter to let them cross.

Even at that, with the amount of people in various states of disarray around there who like to step out onto the road, I'd be generally taking it handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I was always taught that when approaching a junction if there are pedestrians already crossing, they have the right of way. (BBut It may have said uncontrolled junction, I just treat all the same)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

just found it, didn't think I'd find it so quickly

A driver approaching a road junction shall yield the right of way to another vehicle which has commenced to turn or cross at the junction in accordance with these bye-laws, and to a pedestrian who has commenced to cross at the junction in accordance with these bye-laws.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294#:~:text=(2)%20A%20driver%20approaching%20a,accordance%20with%20these%20bye%2Dlaws.

something wrong with this tablet, I couldn't edit my last post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is that saying the driver must act in accordance with the bye laws, or the pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can we not just say that the pedestrians should have been more aware of their surroundings and the cyclist could have done more to avoid a near miss?

This, it is not a binary choice. The peds took a chance as the traffic was stationary and were well out of the way of the cars before they even started to move (there light went green as they crossed). The cyclist wasn't ging to fast down that hill, I'd often go down it faster but once he could see the pedestrians, he could have slowed and moved out to go around them. Instead he decided to "teach them a lesson" in the same vein as a punishment pass. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong here, they are both wrong, but none of it life changing or actually a concern to anyone. The peds were not hit and the cyclist stopped, it is only wrong because it could have been an incident if the pedestrians were not paying attention or the cyclists brakes failed and the lesson teaching became a lot more severe, both of which are stupid things to take a risk over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

going around them wouldn't be a great video to watch, cycling right up to them looks way better.

I dont see the point of barreling down that road anyway given that you're nearly always getting a red light on the quays.

But it goes to show that, no this is not just a place to confirm your own biases. Even if the pedestrians could have done better,the op could have done a hell of a lot more.

W e constantly hold the less vulnerable user to account in here when it's a driver even when they might technically be correct and the law does too in a lot of cases, so we should be doing the same and mlt just saying ah yeah yoir grand.

There was more than enough time to avoid this "near miss"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

One that didn't involve me for once. Anyone who knows this stretch knows it's lethal for drivers pulling out across the cycle lane without looking.

Look for the cyclist coming in the opposite direction (with the flashing light). The Audi pulls straight out across his path and collides with the cyclist. The actual collision looks to be minor - presumably because the cyclist got on his brakes asap.

I didn't actually realise at the time they the two had collided, I thought she had just cut him off and the two were having words.

Notice though how the driver gets out and immediately starts berating the cyclist for the collision - eventhough she is very clearly in the wrong. This is the mindset we are up against daily. Could you imagine the same collision but with two cars? The driver who had pulled out on the road wouldn't even dream of blaming traffic already on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

She shouldn't have crossed until the yellow box was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

They really should have a stop sign before the cycle lane, not that excuses her from what she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

'what do you mean I came right across the lane?'

She was completely oblivious to the presence of the bike lanes and the meaning of them, all she saw was the road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

In fairness, a) he was probably surprised by someone pulling straight out like that… usually you can spot them as they slowly nudge out, and b) given how forcefully she drove straight out into the bike lanes he possible expected that she would continue on and clear the lane in time for him to pass. Split seconds, he may have made the call not to haul on the brakes to accommodate the ignorant cow.

It's not. It looks like it might be a relatively budget gravel bike or something given it has cross top brake levers.

Hard to say from the distance how far cyclist was from car, unlike the last video we all commented on

Looks like he had maybe 3 metres, and the fact that he came to nearly a complete stop was actually impressive. You can see his back wheel pop up the tiniest of amounts when he hits the car so he had obviously took a good bit of speed out.

This was the first time he knew she wasn't stopping,

And this is when he stops, and he was almost stationary at this point:

There is a little over 2 seconds between the two screenshots. I was impressed by the speed of his reaction.

She didn't slow at all from she entered the shot, so if she looked it made no odds. The white van blocking her exit as well, where was she in a rush too, it hurts my brain to think about. She had just started a hard brake when he hit her but not for him, but for the white van on the road.

Honestly, that's impossible to tell from the camera's vantage. We have no definitive read on how far away he was. However, this goes back to my first point - if these were two cars, the blame would firmly be place on the car that pulled out without looking. Traffic already on the road has right of way. Just because one of those vehicles is a bike, suddenly we're having a discussion about whether the cyclist could have stopped in time.

I have the original, less compressed version, and while it's still hard to say for sure - it doesn't seem so. It looks like she (the car driver) is only looking right, as that's where the vehicular traffic comes from.

My experience of those cross top brakes would think he did well to only bump into car

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'll respectfully disagree.

You can see his head jolt forwards when he hits the car. I don't think anyone would voluntarily put themselves in that position, especially not in an instinctive split-second decision. Also, he's not cycling uphill. This is Parnell Place in Cork, sandwiched between the two arms of the Lee river. It's flat as a pancake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

junction of Collins Ave. + Swords Rd. this morning. Really getting pissed off with red light jumpers coming from the Beaumount direction, turning right onto the Swords Rd., heading north. Traffic was backed up and tried to steer through the hold-up only to be clipped by a long-van driver who bulled through. Stayed up, but he clipped my brake lever with the end of his van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just the old attempted murder coming up to these lights today. Cars as usual parked in the dedicated parking spots with bike signs on them.

Lights going red as I passed the car currently parked just before the colour change on the cycle lane and I was moseying up going to turn right and a car overtakes me as I'm still on the left of the lane. Space there but he just cuts in front of me and I'd to swerve to avoid contact with him. Was very close.

I was like WTF but continued past him into the red box. He slides up and rolls down his window to say I should be in the cycle lane. I completely lost it with him. I was like do you not see the cars there? Told him to get away from me and moved further up. He continues forward and says the same thing again. By this point I'm just like fúck off and get away from me, the light had gone green and the car behind beeped him so I could only really go straight at this point so continued on.he was beside me right through the junction until I could get on the naturally blocked with cars cycle lane the other side.

Didn't get his reg or anything but at least the guy behind stopped and gave me the "what an asshole".

Amazing how brave men (and it's nearly always men) feel when behind the wheel of a large vehicle with the doors locked. Asshole is an understatement for people like that. You just hope karma is keeping score.

For aggressive bullying? We must cycle very different roads. No doubt, just as many poor female drivers, but if I hear a car on the accelerator two feet behind me, or punishment pass, or if someone rolls down a window to hurl abuse, 8 times out of 10 for me its a man.

Yeah, no I agree with you there… ignorance, incompetence and stupidity is equal across every demographic from my experience.

• Advertisement

I'd never go as far down the road of passive aggression as to interfere with someone's car. There are just too many possible unintended consequences that aren't worth it, no matter how strong the temptation. Just my personal view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I know you told me to fcuk off and mind my own business but to the person with the two little kids in the cargobike who goes down the Lusk and Rush road in the mornings, would you ever have a bit of concern for your kids safety and ditch that cargobike.

I go up on the path cycling that road because its fcking dangerous to cycle on. Most people cycling do. I know you wont fit on the path but Jesus think about those two kids. Ive seen you nearly get clipped a few times now. If you dont care about yourself, think about your kids.

You may think that its up to the people driving cars to avoid you, but not everyone in a car cares. While they are idiots and in the wrong, its your kids who will suffer. Dont do this to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe post a message to the drivers on the Motors forum.

The drivers arent going to stop someone putting their kids lives at risk on a cargo bike on a dangerous road. All of the drivers that care about them are being more careful around them, but the ones that dont care arent going to be changing anything.

So now the chice becomes. Bring your kids on to the firing range and trust the people shooting to follow the rules and look out for you, or dont take the chance at all with your kids.

Its the driver picking his nose or changing the radio station on one of those new giant ipads that cars have now that id be worried about hitting them. Every driver is careful, until they arent. Nobody maintains 100% concentration at all times even if the law seems to think they can.

• Advertisement

@SharkMX is banned from this thread, do not reply to their messages. Any issues, PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Had the closest call for a long long time on Saturday afternoon there - cycling from phibsboro back towards Iona Road; as I often do, dismounted and came across the pedestrian cross through the traffic Island, and again through the pedestrian crossing.

Traffic very heavy.

Van stopped in middle lane, I am walking past it with the bike.

Car tears through the lights in the bus lane, like serious 50k an hour job, never saw the red light. If it had been two seconds later I was toast, and the people beside me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

have always found that junction a bit sketchy due to it's tight run from the Phibs end, to Iona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Doesn't help that pedestrians must wait for an age for the green man to appear.

Blind bend? Check. Lorry? Check. Oncoming traffic? Check.

Luckily the driver of the white Nissan was switched on, and stopped with their hazards on to let the truck through.

Absolutely mental carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The van behind just as bad. Can't seem to see past the truck but over the line and attempting to overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

May as well report that on the Garda website and see if anything comes of it.

https://garda.ie/en/trafficwatchreport/

F*** me that is awful. And in that position he would have been able to see the car just as he started, loads of time to not proceed with the manoeuvre.

Thanks, submitted. Last time I reported to AGS, I did so in my local station and nothing seemed to come of it.

Van behind is as bad. I cut off the video, but he goes for the overtake again after the cars you see in the video have passed. Only to be encountered by another oncoming car, and he bails out of it.

• Advertisement

Really need to get me a couple of reliable, user-friendly, wallet-friendly cameras for the bike. Actually also want to get them for the car too, just so much crazy out there these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

Overtaking on a solid line is an offence in itself nevermind the close pass so certainly should be acted upon.

"should be" is the key concept here. A bit like moderation on this site in Current Affairs… enforcement is just aspirational a lot of the time. There's a post on the Ukraine thread joking about texting while driving in the rain on the N17… won't hold my breath on anything being done about it. I'd say if you showed the Gardai footage where the 'only' offence is someone overtaking on a solid white line they'd just shrug their shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I've been using a helmet mounted Techalogic for a few years. It's not perfect by any means but it does the job well enough. When this one dies I'd probably get another.

I've said it so many times - bus lane enforcement cameras would pay for themselves and eliminate the problem of cars in bus lanes.

It's a plain-as-day solution that generates income and needs a tiny amount of Garda resourcing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

It would never fly precisely because it would be so successful. RSA/government are big on urging but draw the line at annoying motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

And Dublin Bus don’t seem to be bothered either! (Can’t understand why they aren’t calling for more bus lane enforcement!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

At the side of the airport today - a driver coming towards me may have been distracted by a landing aircraft, but he managed to drop the two passenger side wheels off the road, and the car bounced quite visibly as he quickly corrected with a hard jerk to the right - the verge at the side is a couple of inches lower than the tarmac where it happened. But for a split second he was pointed at me and I was thinking 'i hope he keeps control of that'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Gardai for some reason just have a complete aversion to anything technological, body cams, the online portal where users can upload footage, bus lane cameras, even up until recently ANPR, which was only rolled out across the fleet in 2022 despite being in place for years in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just a bump - vanilla have restored this thread

Advertisement