Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is a rather pathetic zealotry and certainly a deep cultural snobbery associated with Gaelgoirs and much of the Irish language set.

A century of trying to force the nation to revert to speaking Irish has failed utterly - it will never be making a large-scale comeback as English - the lingua franca of the world now - is a superior language in all respects.

I'm very proud of being Irish but we need to broaden and modernise our perception of Irish culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's telling that many, mainly urban, Polish people who live here could tell you more about nature and the outdoors than many an Irish farmer that works while surrounded by nature everyday. I couldn't get over the numbers of Polish people climbing and hiking around the mountains here.

The making money comment is very true. We never lost the gombeen man, we knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Post edited by whisky_galore on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

To add to that - the number of Irish people who think agriculture is 'nature'.

Agriculture is a process of keeping nature at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Irish superiority and exceptionalism.

It is nauseating. We think we are the best because we have the GAA, because we won some medals at the Olympics, we have decided we are the friendliest people on earth, that everyone loves us, that we are far more fun than people from England/US/Germany etc etc.

Our President sends best wishes to Iran, more than 100 years after independence we need the Brits to scare off the Russian airforce, but we feel superior to countries that aren't militarily neutral. Even though we rely on them to defend us.

If you thought about it too long you'd emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but Gaeilgeoirs make up a tiny % of the population and are hardly a major influence on the country.

I think it's a pity how Irish is not our language anymore and its loss has taken away a lot of our identity. Learnt from living abroad that most of the world thinks that Ireland is British and part of UK and this mainly stems from us speaking English and Irish language being unknown.

Irish language should be part of our culture as it's a major part of our history and make up and even affects how we speak English and I would not encourage it to be forgotten or view it as having a narrow or old fashioned view of Irish culture as you claim.

I'm not saying that the health service is great, by all means it has many problems, mostly managerial and cultural but it is not in any means as bad as a third world country. Fair enough and right to compare to OECD countries but not Third World.

Go to a third world country and you could be in life danger from a broken bone due to lack of services ie they simply don't exist and then you'll understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Do you not think we just need to teach Irish in a better way? we aren't stupid people who cant learn a language. I would have no interest in learning any other language other than Irish.

I really dislike "Irish" people who hate their own language, west brits or American wannabes who hate their own culture.

Gaelgoirs, esp the ones in academia drive the myriad of pressure groups and quangoes, often competing duplicates of each other, costing millions, and thus government policies, frequently implemented in a half arsed way.

Ordering the translation of reams of obscure EU documents regular people (or anyone realistically) will never read doesn't come from pressure from the electorate.

The predicable insults...

People aren't stupid, they just have no interest. They are indifferent. Like you have no interest in learning Chinese.

Can you not get that? You can't force people to do what you want.

• Advertisement

I think most Irish people are patriotic and therefore would like to speak Irish fluently but they way it is taught in schools isn't the right way.

I didn't mention anything about forcing anyone to learn it, don't put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mick ah

How can it be "your" language if the last time it was transmitted from mother to child was well over 3 generations back. Probably more in most parts of Ireland.

How many Irish people learn "their" language from their parents? Most speakers learn Irish in school and will rarely use it outside of academia or a government job.

If you want to speak it, more power to you, but I'm sick of non Irish speakers telling me that it'd be nice to speak "our native language". If it's so bloody nice go and learn it and leave me alone. I'm no less Irish because Irish isn't one of the languages I'm fluent in.

So can some people stop pretending that it's "our" language. It's a language and it's close to useless outside of being a hobby.

Well I think they deserve credit for having the Irish language recognised as an official EU language and your point about myriads of quangos and costing millions is greatly exaggerated and just sounds bitter.

It would be completely wrong to just let the language die as you want and it's good to see it's revival over the last number of years.

Millions probably underestimates it.

And I generally find that people don't have a problem spending other people's money on things they like.

But if we had an honest conversation about spending on the Irish language we could probably find solutions that would actually promote language usage and not waste 100s of millions of euro.

The well-meaning "I'd love to learn it but..."

People aren't bothered, they just say this all of the time to appear supportive and not offend. They haven't a bulls notion of learning it. There's heaps of resources but they choose not to use them.

It's funny how the very same people will find the time and spend money and go all out to do and learn things they really want to do.

Why do you hate your native language? why the rage?

My first language is English, we are not in a gaeltacht. There is no rage, I'm indifferent to it.

I choose not to use it as it is of no use to me. Language is a tool, why would I choose a tool that's harder to use and I can only use in limited circumstances?

You do you, you are free to speak it, just as I am free to choose not to. I'm not a gatekeeper of notions of Irishness.

You come across as someone who doesn't want Irish people learning it and you seem to look down on people who want to learn it.

Please point out where I said that. You're the one both getting triggered and putting words in someone's mouth.

Like I said you are free to speak it, knock yourself out, I don't care.

• Advertisement

Sorry but spouting nonsense about wasted money and how useless the language is not indifference, it's the very opposite in fact.

We're all speaking English and that's not going to change but language is more than a tool it's an expression of culture and part of our heritage and we should not want to lose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭csirl

The refusal to accept, that like most small countries, Ireland is a "City State". There is absolutely nothing wrong with having one dominant city - in fact its very efficient. All the constant policies about dencentralisation are doing is destroying our wonderful countryside and have resulted in an underfunded capital city without basic infrastructure. We would be much better having a strong/vibrand large city with a strong and sustainable rural landscape a short drive away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That miserable oul yoke Peig single handedly killed off any love of the Irish language for anyone who had to study it for the Leaving Cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A bit unfair. Everything he said is true and we should all have an interest in it. It does seem to be engrained in Irish culture to be an utter bastard to animals. That's why we are the puppy farming capital of Europe and our animal rescues are always full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Not for a second am I advocating for puppy farms, they're awful places and disagree with anyone who buys a dog when there's endless shelters that are full of them. I have two kittens that I've rescued from the DSPCA myself.

However why "should we all have an interest in it"? What difference does it make if I know the difference between a rabbit and a hare or a jackdaw from a rook?

I'd never ever hurt any animal and never knowingly or willingly destroy their habitat but I don't have an interest in different types of birds, that's a hobby not something that we all need to have an interest in.

I don't think it follows that if a person has no interest means they will go out of their way to be cruel.

The bastards here other than the puppy farmers are idiots who profess to be animal lovers, buy a dog to make their life complete only to find out afterwards owning a dog is too much work for them. These are the people lining puppy farmers' pockets.

While we don't need to be experts, I think an interest in our wildlife and biodiversity in general, is necessary. A lot of harm we do is based on ignorance, if not financial gain. If that was general knowledge, we could knowingly never destroy habitats etc, and make sure our wildlife are thriving. As originally said, we are a country that prides itself on natural beauty, some general knowledge throughout the population would ensure we still have that privilege in years to come.

I would agree and have been involved in helping some of those unfortunate dogs. However, I never said lack of interest leads to cruelty. Education on the matter would be very helpful in preventing some of it though. Then, there are those for whom education wouldn't make any difference, and we seem to be full of those people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭boetstark

Thank you thank you. Those imbeciles at the football in france 2018. Absolute pests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not sure it counts as culture but our Summers are getting worse year on year or maybe I'm just getting older, sickening tropical humid weather …most days are damp windy but no air, everyday I'm getting in wringing with sweat but rarely see that big ball of fire in the sky 🤔

Advertisement