Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Jaysus lads…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ahh.. Good old JD , enjoying the cut and thrust of the campaign , chasing down his opponents on important issues.

He really just loves the thrill of the chaise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yes, it will be difficult for them not to look like the problem when they are, in fact, the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,549 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Have to say, I love this.

Proper leadership.

Especially compared to:

(Archive text:)

The Dems appear to be creating this campaign under clinical lab conditions. It has been meticulous since Biden stepped down. There hasn't been one foot put wrong (so far!), which must be sending Trump/Vance and the republicans utterly demented.

All they have to do is keep it up for the next 88 days...

Upcoming events that will affect the race

Harris and Trump debating (or not)

Walz and Vance debating (or not)

Taylor Swift's endorsement

Trumps sentencing in the Manhattan hush money case on Sept 14th.

Judge Tanya Chutkan will hold a scheduling hearing on August 16th in the DC case.

Trumps appeal of the $88 million verdict in the Carroll case with oral argument September 6.

Oral arguments in Trump’s appeal of the $354 million civil fraud verdict will likely take place in September or October before the New York Appellate Division.

Man. That is a tough calendar. No wonder Trump is resting up this week.

• Advertisement

"I know nothing about Project 2025"

The man sat next to Trump in this picture is Kevin Roberts - president of the organisation which authored the 900 page document, the Heritage Foundation, and who went on TV not too long ago and essentially bragged that the coming revolution would be bloodless 'if the left allowed it to be'.

To prove the authenticity of this image, note the Diet Coke in the far right of the image. If you cannot locate the far right of the image, you will see the far right to the left of it.

I see it changed sometimes last night.

Trump is going to be very, very annoyed today. When is his next rally booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The icing on the cake would be the alleged tape of him saying the N word on The Apprentice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not really. Both are urgent, generally short term operations by the Guard to aid overwhelmed law enforcement (excepting aviation and logistics units assigned firefighting and transport roles, but which also count as short fuse) and coordinated through the state miltary's emergency operations center (I was assigned to one for two years as an ops officer). Tankers like myself would get picked up routinely since we have sidearms on issue instead of rifles, whilst infantry would be more likely to get the call for riot duty as a different impression is being given. The border is an entirely different kettle of fish whilst the context, timelines and processes for riots and wildfire mobilization are pretty similar both at the headquarters/state level and for the soldiers who get the 'phone call to drop everything and report in.

In any case, the border issue is not particularly relevant to the MN response to the Minneapolis riots. Both can be criticized independently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

More of them polls for those who traditionally celebrate polls, you like polls do ya?

Harris has also improved with white voters overall. 

Harris has gone from 40% with white voters overall to 46% in this survey, which is closer to where Biden was, and that's very high for a Democrat. In fact, no Democrat has scored that high with white voters in a presidential election since Jimmy Carter in 1976. Biden got 41% in 2020, Barack Obama in 2008 won 43%

https://www.opb.org/article/2024/08/06/poll-harris-jumps-to-a-small-national-lead-over-trump/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I'm glad Harris is at least meeting with the Gaza protesters and hearing their arguments, the Dem / Biden stance on the war is still an amoral disaster and they deserve to be challenged on it publicly at every opportunity. Waving it off as 'well if you criticise us on this Trump will win' is a cop out given the graveness of the situation. They don't deserve to be let off the hook on it because of their positive policy positions elsewhere.

No question Trump will somehow be even worse than the Biden administration on Gaza, and Nethanyahu will obviously relish the possibility of a more psychotically anti-Palestinian administration. But the Dems should still be confronted on it relentlessly. Harris seems a tad tougher on Israel than Biden but it's still a big weakness that's left millions of otherwise sympathethic US voters disillusioned and angry.

“I know nothing about Project 2025. I have no idea who is behind it. I disagree with some of the things they’re saying and some of the things they’re saying are absolutely ridiculous and abysmal. Anything they do, I wish them luck, but I have nothing to do with them.”

Trump with Heritage CEO and Project 2025 head Kevin Roberts on his private jet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Rawr

I was wonder what was happening with the Civil Fraud case. He somehow spoofed his way into an appeal with a dubious bond backed up by an out-of-state Car-loan guy (and only barely backed up too).

New York should in all rights already started foreclosing on Trump Org. properties to cover the fraud fines. I'm wondering if we'll actually see that before the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Stanley 1

I do would be thrilled if that wish was granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Boy it sure would be great to be able to view new posts….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's not like she's in the current administration and has been for 3 and a half years…..make it make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

It's not like she's in the current administration and has been for 3 and a half years…..make it make sense

Thats the gist of the comments beneath the tweet. As VP, there is very little she can actually do. She can't for example sign executive orders. Nor can she appoint the Secretary of the Treasury.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm going to go with "efforts to stem massive corporate profiteering repeatedly blocked and delayed by the GOP"

oh this is gonna be a bear to watch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if that hasn't surfaced before now, how likely is it to surface?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Whilst as much as I want to believe that this exists I don't think anything will come if this and even if it does come out I don't see it making a difference, such is the level of either outright racists or people who will turn a blind eye to racism in order to vote for Trump.

They don't need this tape to come out to confirm his character. Anyone voting for him already know what he is like and will still vote for him anyway.

If him being confirmed by a judge in a court of law as a Rapist in the last few months wasn't enough I really can't see how a 20+ year old tape of him saying the N word will make the slightest difference.

That's how messed up his supporters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The 20 year nondisclosure agreement expired this year.

So if it’s there, now would be the time to release it.

Unfortunately as mentioned below, it wouldn’t matter to republicans.

They’ll say everyone says it.

Post edited by Cody montana on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"It's completely normal. It's just Klan Rally talk!"

There isn't anything you could show Trump to have said or done which would convince the hardcore MAGA types not to vote for him. Apart from him coming out as a Democrat/agent of the deep state, etc.

After 8 long years, the Democrats have finally got it into their heads to focus a bit less on the negative of Trump to drive voter turnout and a bit more on the positive of what they can do. This is a step in the right direction. Counter Trump's hosepipe of bile with some actual vision and hope, and all of a sudden he looks silly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You just have to look at the supposedly evangelical Christian Republicans laughably backing someone as irreligious and moral-free as Trump to see that these people don't care whatsoever about the man's character, so long as he forwards their agenda. There's no persuading the MAGA cult - where hypocrisy and reality-denial is built into the very fabric of their movement - and it's not worth the Dems' time even trying anymore.

The best thing the Dems have rediscovered is to have some fun again. Be playful, upbeat, down to Earth as opposed to building a whole platform warning about a grave threat to democracy or whatever. It helps of course that it's incredibly easy to make fun of Trump and Vance - it's no surprise Walz' speech the other day was so well received.

Have to agree, heck one of the underlying motivations of the formation of the cult was a load of racists being called out as, well, racists. It's not new to them and it gives them a twisted push further in the direction, part of that toxic cycle of needing to feel oppressed → fighting back against would be oppressors. However, that core racist base of MAGA has still dwindled over time for various reasons, and Trump still needs swing votes to get anywhere anymore, and they are generally sensitive to these issues. And, racism is still a spectrum, sure a lot of his base might really get a kick behind the DEI attacks but I'm willing to say less would be interested in backing a candidate who sounds like one of the antagonists from a 90s civil rights movie. So if it does leak, all the better.

After 8 long years, the Democrats have finally got it into their heads to focus a bit less on the negative of Trump to drive voter turnout and a bit more on the positive of what they can do.

Very much this, Harris/Walz has changed the focus of the whole election away from eg. "OMG did you happen to not know he's a racist" to "these guys are just plain weird, let's move forward together." She isn't running an election to 'end racism in America' she's running an election to give women their freedoms back etc.

They also need to latch on to his utter lack of anything approaching policy.

He phoned in to his "safe space" , Fox & Friends yesterday and they had segment with a reporter at the Sturgis Biker event.

They stopped a guy in full MAGA gear and asked if he had a question for Trump - The guy asked a really good question , he said "My kids are struggling to get housing and pay rent , I have to give them some of my income each month to help them cover rent - What are you going to do to bring down rents and make housing more affordable?"

Trumps response was firstly to babble about how "99% of bikers love him" and then said we'll "Drill baby drill" about 5 times along with something about how Bacon is now really expensive and no one can buy bacon and how he had somehow made China "behave". Not once did he come within a mile of actually answering the question asked or even mentioning housing or rent.

Harris and team should take that clip and his dribbling response and overlay their actual policy based answer to the guys question.

They should do that over and over again.

Nor was she exactly sympatico with Joe Biden during the 2020 primaries. eg.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/28/2020-democrat-debate-harris-biden-1386488

So it should hardly come as a surprise her administration would not carbon copy his. While they didn't hash out a debate on economics we don't necessarily know how synchronized they were on this topic. I'd stab a guess for example she might not have kept Jerome Powell on as fed chair from the Trump administration, but who really knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

Any majority which fades into a minority is at its most dangerous when it stops been able to impose it's will on everyone else. The decline of white American dominance is the reason MAGA and Trump exist and they were at their most dangerous 4 years ago. They are a spent force and their figurehead is a perfect emblem for that.

Time for the Republicans to face reality and stop trying to game the system - it's a losing strategy.

Advertisement