Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That really depends on the numbers of both those who are leaving, and those who are newly compliant.

The stats seem at odds with the low number of BTL mortgages being approved by banks, and the stats on tenant terminations due to LLs selling, and the number of former rentals EAs say they are selling.

I suppose there are lies, damned lies, and statistics, we may not be getting an accurate picture from either side. But if the lack of rental properties which have been available is an indication of a shrinking market, it is hard to reconcile those increases as being other than institutional investors bringing new developments into the martket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its both - they're leaving in droves and the ones that are left are under pressure to register due to the tax credit

that’s what I suspect as tenants’ demand to be able to get reliefs that require registration.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭hometruths

Both sales transaction volumes and stock advertised are historically low, so if LLs are selling up en masse and EAs are selling vast quantities of ex rentals where is all this stock being sold?

Whatever way you look at it if registered private landlords have increased by 6% this is not a market characterised by private landlords fleeing the market.

Trying to argue otherwise is just yet another example of trying to make the narrative fit the data.

Perhaps most of those which are being sold, even though volumes are historically low, are ex rentals, which is what the EAs have been saying.

Maybe you are right, maybe there is suddenly a huge number of new rentals, people must be wondering where they are though, they certainly don’t seem to have been advertised.

• Advertisement

I didn't say a huge number of new rentals, I said an increase of 6% in private landlords directly contradicts the idea private landlords are exiting the market in huge numbers.

I any event it certainly seems more plausible rentals are being rented via word of mouth and registered than sales are being sold by word of mouth and not registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

How many of these properties and landlords are commercial landlords, investment funds?

I would say theres increasing numbers of private landlords that are renting via word of mouth, cash deals, with 2 month or more security deposit. I was at a rental viewing recently.. load of people waiting to view the flat. Some guy offered to pay a full years rent upfront.

Certainly doesn't sound like tenants are in a position to demand landlords register with the RTB so they can claim their reliefs

Eh, they are if they are existing tenants in unregistered properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Villa05

Tenants in well below market rents will stay quiet.

Landlords in a similar position will see the opportunity to get out. Get registered, serve notice, sell to state/tenant/private,

Use proceeds of sale to buy a property not currently tied to rpz. Charge current market rent.

Check the growth in tenants served notice and join the dots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I doubt if there is a substantial number of new LL entering the market. There is probably varying reasons for this spike in registrations. I would say the new rental income tax credit with a chance of an increase in it this years has slowed the number exiting.

With the advent of the tenant tax credit more LL are probably registering. There is also probably a few going long-term rentals from AerBnB. The change to how income for a home belonging to a person in a nursing home is treated is probably encouraging there rental of these as well

I would doubt if its a sudden surge in one off investors

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Villa05

Comical indeed, worth a listen.

First up is a professor of Economic policy at TCD saying the idea LLs leaving the market in droves has always been nonsense, it wasn’t true when first raised, and it isn’t true now, finally we have irrefutable data to show it.

Then a FG spokesman has his say, gamely trying to claim exodus was true, citing Joe Duffy callers et al.

Finally Chairperson of Irish Property Owners Association getting quite irate saying the same thing, clutching at straws, ignore the data, private landlords are leaving the market in their droves.

Interviewer does a good job of exposing policy being influenced by lobbying of vested interests rather than hard data. FG spokesman and IPOA chairperson had nowhere to go really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,988 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I heard an interview on the radio yesterday. I think it was Sarah McInerney. It was comical. She was quoting the official numbers which showed an increase and the lobbyist fella kept insisting that the "evidence" shows the number had gone down even though she repeatedly repeated the number and pointing out it was higher.

It was comical. Your man insisting black was white and saying there was evidence that black was indeed white even though the evidence showed the opposite. It reminded me of the posts on these threads.

The funniest bit was the lobbyist repeatedly claiming there were no tax breaks for landlords. McInerney pointed out multiple times one of the tax breaks. He insisted there was no tax breaks for landlords. She read it out for him. He then said something along the lines of "Yes. But that's not for landlords. Because they have to stay as landlords to get that. So it's not a tax break for landlords"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

We don't really live in a world where what is clearly true is easily accepted by many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Anyone actually looking at properties for sale on the market can see how many are ex rentals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes a lot of apartments are for sale at the moment.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The problem is that as the RTB figures can't be compared to historical figures by the RTB s own admission, the current figures tell us nothing about how many landlords are leaving or joining the residential rental market. By the RTB s own admission the increase is in at least partly caused by sampling bias. We don't have comparable figures for the last few years.

Anecdotally landlords are leaving the market, the fact we had a ban of landlords selling properties over the winter a few years ago is testament to that. That's before we even talk about the second hand property market and talking to landlords themselves.

Now some of these landlords could be replaced by new institutional landlords with new builds, but these properties will be let at market rates unlike older properties who's prices are restricted by rent pressure zones. Again not good for tenants long term.

You talk about the FG spokesperson ignoring the data. The fact is the people who are publishing the current data are telling everyone it's not suitable for historical comparison. The Irish times pointed out during the week that number of people renting per the 2022 Census was wildly different than the RTB figures. So it's been a known issue.

It does highlight the mess the property market is in that accurate data about fundamentals like no of people renting etc is not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hi Blut, would you have the link to that article available please? I can't locate it on the link you posted. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/more-than-half-of-landlords-had-rental-income-below-10-000-in-2019-1.4731212

Well if we don't have comparable data between now and then, lets assume that when the anecdotal alarm bells rang that small private landlords were leaving the market in their droves was true back when it started, the good news is it appears to be no longer true.

Even it is still true, it is no longer the disaster story it was billed as originally.

The reason it was a noteworthy narrative is obviously it was deemed evidence that rental supply was falling.

The new data from the RTB is comparable from RTB data at end of Q2 2024 and it shows rental supply rising across the board -

For instance, despite the large number of eviction notices, the total number of private tenancies has increased from 213,177 at the end of June 2023 to 230,006 at the end of March 2024.The total number of landlords linked with private tenancies has also increased from 96,702 to 103,035.Dublin recorded the largest number of private tenancies in the first quarter of 2024 at 99,630, up from 91,860 in the second quarter of 2023.In Cork, private tenancies rose from 23,548 to 25,041, while rental housing supply in Galway and Limerick also increased in the period -

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/analysis-are-landlords-leaving-the-market-potentially-is-rental-supply-in-free-fall-definitely-n/ .

Something odd about housing in Ireland is that across the board it is a race to the bottom to interpret anything in an apocalyptic fashion as possible, even when the data doesn't support it.

Any data that counters the doom and gloom is dismissed as the data is wrong, look at the anecdotal evidence. The FG guy in the radio interview was a prime example - he was citing jOe Duffy callers!

It slightly calls to mind 2006, just a role reversal. Back then the narrative was unbridled optimism, and when anybody cited data that questioned this optimism the reaction was similiar - ignore the data, look at the anecdotal evidence!

In other related news, according to an article in the UK times, institutional LLs are about to leave the market in a big way.

https://www.thetimes.com/world/ireland-world/article/10000-apartments-to-hit-dublin-market-as-funds-sell-up-5m9xz5khk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Thank you!

Easily achieved if the mortgage interest is deductible from the income, along with other allowable expenses.

10k is a pretty good net return on top of what is likely leveraged inflation protection. Property is generally a good hedge against inflation over the long term, and tends to beat it when there is a growing population and economy.

If you had 50k of your own money, borrowed 200k. Bought an apartment and rented it out. Having a net 10k + 5X inflation on what you put it is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But you've only given me a years worth of data. It doesn't say a whole lot. And again remember the RTB themselves say that their data cannot be used for historical comparisons. This suggests a reason for a significant part of the increase is sampling bias. The narrative about landlords exiting the market predates the figures you have provided by years. So the figures you have provided by the RTB s own admission don't tell you a whole lot to prove or disprove that question. And that's before you look at detail.

And when we talk about landlords leaving the market we are generally talking small landlords. It's obvious that large institutional landlords are coming into the market. Anyone living in Dublin can see the apartments being built.I acknowledged that in my post.

That's not a bad thing per say and definitely good long term as they are less likely to sell up. The problem is we have a housing crisis and the issues with landlords selling up is that owner occupied houses have a lower housing density when compared to rented. It's been discussed plenty of times in this thread and forum.

If landlords were not selling up in significant quantities we wouldn't have had a winter eviction ban, we wouldn't have measures in place to help tenants buy houses off landlords. There is plenty of anecdotal data to suggest significant numbers of landlords are leaving. Again it's important to remember we have a housing crisis so even a a few percent of landlords leaving is a problem.

There is no doubt there is anecdotal evidence that small LLs are exiting the market and selling up. Principally the spike in notices to quit because of an intention to sell.

But where is the data that backs up the anecdotal evidence?

We have not seen a corresponding spike in second hand sales transactions in the same period.

We have not seen a corresponding spike in second hand supply advertised on the market. Quite the opposite. Second hand supply has been on a downward spiral.

So if there is no data that shows these properties that were intended to be sold, were not sold, or even advertised, where is the data that confirms this.

And if there is no data to back up the anecdotal evidence, why should we be so in thrall to anecdotal evidence. In most other fields anecdotal evidence is dismissed out of hand if there is nothing concrete to back it up.

And now we're seeing data that is showing rental supply is increasing. This is good news

If we are only talking about a few % of LLs this is not as a big deal as it is made out. It's part of normal functioning market.

If an LL sells his 2 bed apartment and it is bought by another LL, no big deal. Rental supply stays the same.

If it is bought by an FTBer, then it is one less FTBer to worry about, and they have moved from another property, freeing up at the very least a bedroom in a house share, or potentially a similiar rental property, or moved out of their parents house. These are all problems we're trying to improve.

The claim that RTB themselves say their data cannot be used for comparison does require a little context:

The new data, according to the RTB, is not comparable to that formerly released and the drop in the number of registered private landlords when the first quarter of this year is compared to the equivalent figure for 2023, should “not be attributed to landlords leaving the sector”.

“The reduction should primarily be attributed to the improved verification processes and the introduction of the requirement for landlords to register tenancies annually, which has removed inactive tenancies and duplicates from the register,” said the RTB in a statement accompanying the release of data.

So in a nutshell, the RTB say "We've improved our data and it shows that rental supply is increasing and small LLs are not exiting the market en masse"

And rather than people recognising this for the good news that it is, the reaction is "That's bull, look at the anecdotal evidence"

The point I am making is to place such a high value on the anecdotal evidence that it continually overrides the hard data seems a bit silly to me. This is just one example of many.

At some stage we have to accept at least the possibility that the data on housing is correct, even if it contradicts the anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Grey123

I was aware of that happening back in 2017. Landlord didn’t want it. It was also common for people to bid a hundred or two extra back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

10k a year net after deductions is only part of the story too in terms of income from the investment. The property price appreciation is worth a substantial amount yearly on average on top of that.

My point wasn't that it isn't a good return though, it was in response to a poster who claimed that "most landlords" in Ireland have a yearly taxable income of over €100k.

Capital appreciation is the reason for the 5X hedge I talked about. I just realised I didn't make that explicit in the post although I felt it was implied.

The reason why many LL's want to "cash out" is that after a decade or two, they are no longer leveraged to the same extent (if at all). Because there has been a transfer of wealth from the tenant to the LL in terms of paying down the capital owed. That is coupled with the increased equity from the capital appreciation. The lack of leverage is what makes the returns feel less now. But they have to remember that the lack of leverage has also greatly reduced their exposure and risk.

Any landlord who wanted to "leverage up" again, could simply release equity from their house and go again with multiple properties. Now I'm not suggesting that as a strategy - I would imagine that most ignore or are completely unaware of the additional risks. Although it can often be the case that people are more in tune when they have more to lose. Most people have a stronger risk aversion when they have more to lose. It isn't linear (or symmetric)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

Many landlords wont advertise because of the rules on HAP refusal and other regulations. A simple word of mouth or notice in a local school, hospital or company and they can have their pick of fully employed tenants without dealing with hundreds of emails / applicants. It may not be right but it is the easiest way to let a property now for many landlords.

On top of that most decent tenants moving out will know someone they can vouch for that wants the place, again this is often viewed as a safer option for a landlord than going on DAFT..

Advertisement