Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The poppies out rather late in Kildare it seems this year. Sunset yesterday evening near Straffan. Felt fresh especially after Monday's humid fest (which I wouldn't describe as med like) but was calm enough to walk around without a hoodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Horrible out. Dark and gloomy and windy. Some drizzle at 8am. Nothing much of that since at least but just a miserable feel of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well our early drizzle changed to heavy showers. 13C. Windy yet again. Miserable dark oul day.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Comhrá

In Dingle for the day. Raining since morning. Not what I expected based on Met Eireann's forecast. Bright spells and passing showers I think they said, clearing in the afternoon. Instead it's a wet day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A very warm and humid weekend to come with temperatures up to 24C on both Saturday and Sunday but there will be rain or showers with this too at times so not settled warmth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temperatures topping out here at 23C , breezy but dry day with mostly fair weather, very nice indeed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today ended up a very nice day in Meath with plenty of sunshine, only problem really was the wind. Tomorrow looks a bit like a repeat of Monday but the weekend hopefully won't be too bad, at least it will be warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

Where are you getting these numbers from? I can only see this happening (if at all) in the far south? To me, Saturday is looking like a party cloudy and mostly dry day with maxes around 19 to 22c with "perhaps" a 23/24c down towards Cork only.

Sunday is looking like becoming wet pretty quickly with maxes of 17 to 21c depending on where you are in the country. Expecting Sunday to be mostly cloudy / overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Current gfs Saturday 5pm. Isolated 22c in the south. 14c for half of Donegal.

Sunday horrific temps , 10/11c for most of the north and west . 18c SW

Hopefully the next run improves. Out soon

ECM has most of the country 20c+ plus for Sunday. Big difference between the two.

• Advertisement

You need to add +1 or +2c to those GFS temps on average for ground level max temps depending on cloud amounts. Mostly sunny = +2c. Party cloudy = +1c. Overcast = temp shown or below

And let's not talk about England on that chart!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

A balmy 27C at midnight here in the Med I'm sure you'll be glad to hear!

Lovely evening with cloudless skies and not even a hint of a breeze, if I'm not wrong I think this would be a red warning for high temperature at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

enjoy while it lasts. You’ll have to join us back here soon????

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

A few more days yet thankfully but yep back to grey skies, wind and drizzle again on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

make the most of it. I think the best days of our summer have passed.

Sunday is a horror show out west on the latest GFS. Significant rainfall

Below accumlated rainfall from now until 8am Sunday morning. Not much

24 hours later. Red level rainfall . 90mm in 24 hours in west Galway.

A lot of time between now and then so plenty can change. One to keep an eye on all the same.

Temp at 2pm Sunday. Scorching 9c

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Needmoretea

Grey miserable mucky drizzly day in Dublin. At this stage I'm getting desperate. At least it's not too cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzle and dark. Grey skys above. 12C. Wash rinse repeat.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

yesterdays UKMO was decent enough looking to throw us a lifeline but charts today as bad as ever, taking a break now until the last week of the month when no doubt things will pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Damp, Grey, pretty miserable in fact but has become the norm.

In a funny kind of way, our summers are the reason we all get so excited for our holidays abroad. That first step off the plane and the heat hitting you straight away. The continental smell in the air. Bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

latest gfs holds the heaviest of the rain just of the west coast with better temperatures countrywide, similar to the ECM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Classic atmospheric river setup. A situation far too commonplace in modern Augusts, belongs in October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dreary drizzle.

17⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I wonder when will these hurricanes start in frequency. It's meant to be an active year so hopefully they might churn up the atmosphere and throw up the long awaited anticlyonic weather over us that we're all craving . I know it can also lead to moisture laden tail end systems giving us monsoon conditions as well. It's just a waiting game as the models have struggled now for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy rain and dark - Castlebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Rain.

Met say:

More like a mini monsoon

Second half of August is looking chilly and unsettled, temperatures no better than 12 or 13C at times if it verifies. GFS writes off the rest of August. I cannot wait to finally get some warmth and sunshine from the 28th of August. Knowing my luck the first week of September here in Ireland will probably be very warm and sunny with a big improvement in the weather while I'm away and all the kids are back in school. This seems to happen almost every September after a lousy August.

The majority of the summer forecasts for summer 2024 didn't verify. Many were predicting June to be the most unsettled month with an improving drying and warming situation from July with August being the warmest and most settled month, a back loaded Summer. As it turns out we've had June and July on the dry side but unsettled throughout with low rainfall totals and cool temperatures the majority of the time. August is trending unsettled and wet and we are potentially looking at another prolonged cool spell for the second half of August after we get the warm weekend out of the way. Next summer has to be better.

Rain more pronounced than patchy rain or drizzle as forecasted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

In Portugal, dreading the return to the eternal Autumn!

Advertisement