Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭scottser

MAGA has too many fault lines that only a bullshitter like Trump can keep together but not for as long as he thinks. That's why he's going full on autocrat, so he doesn't have to play the white supremacists against the Israel lobby, the anti immigration crowd against the industrialists who love cheap labour that won't complain, the libertarians against the evangelicals. When he loses in November he'll no doubt try to have the election not certified but I'd be amazed if his support does anything else but rupture and split afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I can't see who is going to run the party once he departs (preferably in an orange suit).

I believe there has got to be some sensible Republicans left that didn't fall for the Trump trap. The likes of Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger. Obviously I don't agree with a lot of their policies, but a healthy democracy has a healthy opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭briany

Liz Cheney was squashed at the ballot in 2022. Adam Kinzinger was forced out of his seat, I think. Maybe the only sensible Republicans left are the ones who are deliberately agnostic on the Trump issue, saying nothing particularly in favour of him or against.

Interestingly, Kinzinger apparently made this remark in his farewell address where he accused the Democrats of propping up MAGA candidates (presumably because they thought such people would be easier to beat?)

Many of you have asked me, "Where are all the good Republicans?" Over the past two years, Democratic leadership had the opportunity to stand above the fray. Instead, they poured millions of dollars into the campaigns of MAGA Republicans, the same candidates President Biden called a national security threat, to ensure these good Republicans do not make it out of their respective primaries. This is no longer politics as usual; this is not a game. If you keep stoking the fire, you can't point the fingers when our great experiment goes up in flames.

Food for thought, there, from a man who could not be said to be a MAGA loon at all since he along with Cheney headed up that Jan 6th Committee and fell on his sword from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Well the gop would have to cut him loose and despite all their bullshít pre 2016 and again in 2020 he is back as their candidate with objectophilia boy as his running mate

Even if he does lose and the gop do cut him loose this time, the tea bagging for jeasus crowd and their spawn will still be around and will look to him to see if he will endorse whom ever the replacement is or not.

Thanks for that, that is interesting.

I wonder if this could be where the two party duopoly splits into three or even four? There's good politicians not working in politics anymore because of the headbangers like MTG, Boebert, Gaetz etc.

And on the other side you have the likes of AOC and the squad Vs the more conservative democrats.

I dunno, it's obvious that the right is definitely in danger of fracturing more, especially if Trump does bring the party into the electoral gutter as he's already brought it into the intellectual gutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,853 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Apparently, this is the "explanation"????

That's so weird. Its been reminding me of this all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Embarrassing. To be fair, most stuff coming out of MAGAland is embarrassing but that may take the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Christy42

No. The system as is prevents 3rd parties. If one splits, the 3 will amalgamate into 2 along some lines again pretty soon. If one dies the other will split in two along its fault lines. I think the Republicans getting beaten across the board would be great. It would cause a much needed split in the democrats and bring the US politics more in line with a lot of the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭briany

Both of the main US parties are essentially two or three parties each, but under one banner. The respective factions exist in an alliance with each other that is more beneficial than not, and jostle to see which direction that alliance broadly heads in. What keeps both parties from splintering is the breakaway group becoming unelectable, as they'd lose vital support in terms of funding and also those who essentially vote by colour.

• Advertisement

Where is Donald?

He hasn't been seen in a while. He's not out campaigning. People are wondering if he's okay. Doing a phone in with a friendly news station doesn't ease people's concern.

I suspect he's got dementia. I've a second cousin twice removed who had it, and it's definitely that. No other explanation for it. I mean, where's the medical records saying it's *not* dementia?

It's sad. I think it's Melania pulling the strings. He's 77. He should retire. To force him to keep going is elder abuse.

(Am i doing it okay?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,937 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I did wonder if that would be the explanation, and that Trump would say "Kamabla blah blah"

Then I really hoped he would because there's no way he wouldn't completely mangle the word Kamabla trying to say it. I mean it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, especially for someone like Trump who struggles with the oranges of words like anoninimiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Maybe that's where he's been the last few days. Practicing saying that in front of a mirror.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't paid a visit to Gaetz's doctor. The ear scratch might have affected his fragile ego, so he went in to get it "fixed", only to be up sold on a facelift to make himself look younger.

How many people in Trumps circle have had plastic surgery? I'd say it's as common as going to the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

You have to wonder how much of an effect the attempted assassination had on his ego and psyche, to have to accept that some-one from your own[ed] party doesn't like you as much as you prefer, was out THERE and that he died in the attempt to shoot you in the head from a distance, giving him a whole new understanding of "sniping at you".

One strong rattling of the cage followed by the news that the other party switched from your preferred candidate to some-one more favourable to a larger part of the audience reminding him that politics is a dirty game, that the hotel industry is much less risky as a a family business where you can do as you want without persecution from all angles. I don't see him sitting up and watching Clint in "In The Line Of Fire" any time soon.

There's also the fact that absolutely no one is talking about an attempted assassination of a former president and current nominee, just weeks later and has to make you think no one gives a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Rawr

I honestly thought that the assasination attempt would hand him the election. I just thought "You stupid kid, you went and made things worse. You made him a living martyr". But no…the opposite happened. Joe quit the race after that and the Dems found new energy.

Donnie went and took all the good will he earned after the shooting and pissed it all way in barely a couple of weeks. Yea it happened…but no one cares. I'm not even sure if the MAGAs really care any more either. That's just amazing. Yet again Donnie subvents an expection of Presidential politics, and this time it's not in his favor.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There really is a very different energy now.

People are finally seeming to see Trump for what he is - A bitter twisted old man with nothing to offer beyond hate, spite and revenge.

That still works for some people but increasingly that would appear to be just not enough anymore.

His campaign requires a massive reset that I just don't think he is capable of, He simply doesn't have the discipline to make this about policy only - An actual politician could go on the attack about the economy and inflation etc. and by staying "on message" they would likely have some real impact on Harris/Walz.

But Trump is absolutely not that person , nor is Vance.

Harris/Walz will have some dips of course , it won't all be plain sailing for the next ~90 days but Trump is in big big trouble here and I don't think he is capable of fixing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Have to agree, seems the wind has gone out of the MAGA/Trump sails, a weak/unknown VP, and he's looking more like an increasingly unhinged angry looking septuagenarian.

That's one of the most weird things about the assassination attempt.

Trump's whole thing is anger. Fox gets people angry. People need to fight for America etc.

His appeal was getting tired and he needed an adrenaline shot to the campaign.

This attempt was perfectly timed for him and his amazingly convenient photo op with him with his fist in the air should have been what he needed to reinvigorate that anger. He shouted fight in front of the flag with blood on him. If anything could have done it, this was it!!

But it didn't.

It's quite incredible.

• Advertisement

It's all about timing. If that was the 'October Surprise', even against Kamala he could have walked the election. But happening when it did, and then Biden dropping out and being replaced by Kamala…. as awful as it was that an attempt on his life was made it also ended up not being serious enough that it wasn't very quickly eclipsed by Biden dropping out.

Then you factor in the dud of a VP pick in Vance, and increased focus on Project 2025, his shambolic appearance at the NABJ, and now how they're being called "weird" which is incredibly emasculating and reductive against Trump compared to his fist in the air bloody faced flag behind photo from the assassination attempt…. the idea of Trump himself as a powerful figure surviving an assassination attempt has been completely shrunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Stanley 1

She definitely ain't pulling anything belonging to Donald, that lark ended on Stormy disclosures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think, what's really eating away at Donald Trump, what really is making him spiral, based on his rants and weird wishcasting that Biden get back in the race, is that he wanted a bonafide rematch with Joe Biden, and now he's never gonna get the chance.

And now he's going to be beat by a woman.

I don't know what ye are talking about. He seems totally calm and on message!!??

This is how much MAGA fear Harris being on the ticket for President...

Think he's announced a news conference at Mar-A-Lago for later today. I'd say his team have been trying over the last few days to drill home to him to stick to policy stuff and important buzzwords.

Should we take bets on what weird tangent he goes off on first? Hannibal Lecter? Battery Boats? How attractive his daughter is…. no not that one the other one? The windmills are killing the birds?

I just hope he doesn't try out new material. Hate when bands play too many new songs at a concert. Hopefully Trump just sticks to the classics we all love.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Won't someone think of the people with tonnes of "F*ck Joe Biden" merch that is now useless?

One things for sure , those guys aren't getting paid for the orders by the Trump campaign..

Jordan Klepper honestly deserves a medal for bravery at this stage.

• Advertisement

If he lasts 5 minutes before veering wildly off on some weird tangent I'll be shocked.

They'll have worked every trick in the book to get him to go with a scripted piece but he'll be out at the lectern all alone and his lizard brain will shout "squirrel!" and he'll be off on a weird dose of verbal diarrhea about something none of us can quite follow.

Advertisement