Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's all relative.

When I started swimming 750m in triathlon over 16 years ago as an adult learner I used to be almost dead getting out of the water. I following a training plan for my first race and kept records of my training. For my first training session in the pool I swam a total of 100m and the lifeguard almost had to carry me out. Like a lot of Irish people I thought I could swim (I couldn't, I could splash my way up a down a couple of times).

Last week I swam a 10km in training in open water and the biggest issue was the boredom as I kept the effort low.

A key issue is effort, especially when racing. The hardest race I've probably ever done was a 200m freestyle a few years ago. Going flat out for just over a minute was harder than swimming 10km in training. That's why going flat out for 2hrs like the ladies this morning is so impressive (like an elite marathon runner making close to 2hrs look effortless).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭klose

Canoe sprint is good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I've spent enough time in pools to know that them pesky kids are fast swimmers.🤣..

As you say "only 1.48" isn't exactly elite, but it's moving all the same. I've never tried to swim for that period of time or distance to know if it's the physical or mental aspect that would get me 1st. There is certainly a difference doing an Ironman distance swim and knowing you're getting out (fresh) and having to do the bike and run legs,. But can definitely see how fatigue would set in for a 10k race…

Amazingly it's something that I never considered doing.. In fact I shudder at the thought of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭archfi

That speed climbing is great craic

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Better from Katie in the high jump, placed 10th after her last place in hurdles. Seasons best jump, 4cm off PB set 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Seems kind of unfair that Sam Watson breaks the world record 3 times here in Paris in the rock climbing, but has to settle for bronze, where he set a new world record.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The wall climbing is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭klose

The kayak 4 is like poetry in motion, like 4 robots in the kayak they are all so in sync

2 poor baton changes, can't miss a beat in 4*100. Makes it more exciting than 4*400 with Bol the exception lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭G1032

I think it's permanently acting up. On mobile, it's often next to nigh impossible to type the first word of a post. Type half a word and boards just repeats it 5 times. Then it won't let you delete the garbage it just auto typed for you. If you do manage to get a full sentence typed, Boards may or may not decide to keep all of it all there after you press 'post comment'. It may just decide you didn't actually mean to type the last couple of words and it'll omit them. I know it's been said a million times but it's been a horror show since the switch and it's only getting worse as far as I can see. Disaster of a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭G1032

ShSSeShSSerriShSSeShSSerrike

Case in point wrt my previous post. Tried to type Sherika and that's the garbage that's produced 😭

In any case, back to Jamica. Shericka Jackson getting injured before the Olympics didn't help their chances of sprinting success.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,561 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All hosts invested heavily prior to each Olympics it hosted and then tailed off a bit. Australia were no exception until Sydney where they have done a great job keeping the momentum going with only a minor dip halfway between Sydney and the upcoming Brisbane.

GB so far seems to be doing a good job post 2012 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

A quick look at the golf and I see Leona Maguire is 17 shots behind the leader, midway through round 2. Stephanie Meadow is just 2 shots better off. At this point, it's not unfair to say that it's the worst performance by an Irish 'athlete' at these Olympics, assuming she isn't injured or in poor shape. For a young lady with huge ability and who won a good tournament a few weeks ago, that is truly shocking golf being played. Maybe something will come out in the wash in due course--- I genuinely thought she had a medal chance, with the restricted field, apparently playing well etc. The post-game interviews might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Table tennis on Eurosport 3 is really great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭klr87

I don't think the restricted field is much of a factor, with so many of the world's best golfers still being there. In the men's event, the final day was like a regular major, if not better, with a dust-up between so many top names.

Some of the other well-known players are also well off the pace: Georgia Hall, Charley Hull, Carolotta Ciganda, Brooke Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Kayak and canoe sprints are great. Always one my fav events of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭davetherave

Two very different heats in the mens 4x100 relay. Hope that Kilty, Mitchel-Blake, and Hughes can get the olympic medals that were stripped because of a knob of a doping teammate in Tokyo. Would be a great story especially for Kilty. Medal stripped because of a teammates actions, tore his achilles, dropped by Team GB and sponsors and funding, kept at it and now has a chance to get one back.

Leona has been struggling with a few months on the LPGA tour, she even changed her caddy after the recent LET win.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Happyhouse22

While definitely a very bad performance that she won’t be happy with, Idont think it’s that unusual in golf.

You often see a handful of usually very good golfers down the bottom of the scoreboard with huge scores. It’s a sport where a few very bad holes can really effect how you play the rest of the round.

Also probably hard to keep going when you are out of contention after the first 9 holes and know there is no cut and no prize money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,183 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

McLauglin v Femke Bol

Who wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,971 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd go with Bol : she's more of a 'freak' athlete and capable of just about anything on her day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Love Bol,. But I can't see her beating McLaughin..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭fits

it’s going to be a great race. I hope Bol gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sydney set the world record less than 40 days ago. Bol needs to have another 'freak' day and for Sydney to have an average day. I'm a huge fan of Bol's, but she's most definitely the underdog here

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 18,971 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I can - she's insanely good over the last 100m and can accelerate past anyone. I know it's hurdles but her finishing speed is incredible.

View on Athletics later

Womens long Jump - Mihambo from Germany left it until her last qualifying jump to secure her place in the final. She's the longest jumper of this field this year. I just have a feeling though that both US athletes could do very well this evening. Davis Woodhall(5/2) & Jasmine Moore(28/1) could both win a medal

Mens Javelin - think qualifying for this final gave a big hint as to where the medals will go. Chopra(Evens) & Peters(7/1) both threw close to 90meters. I think 90+ will be needed tonight to win the event and Chopra is the most capable to do that. But Peters is also a great prce and i'd fancy him to medal with Vadlejch(6/1) potentially in line for a medal

Mens 200m - This seems the most obvious and straightforward race to predict. Lyles didn't look that great in heats but you know something would need to be amiss for him not to win gold. Lyles Gold, Tebogo Silver, Bednarek Bronze (I'd love Tebogo to win this)

Womens 400m Hurdles - Straight shoot out between Femke and Sidney. I'd love Femke to win but i just can't see it. She also has a few more miles on the clock this week. Unless she falls she is gaurenteed a silver but i think Sidney wins this. You can get 5/1 on 1st Sidney, 2nd Femke, 3rd Cockrell - That's how i think it'll finish anyway

Mens 110m Hurdles - Holloway just has to jump the hurdles and he'll win. I remember he somehow managed to make a balls of it in Tokyo(nearly sure it was Tokyo) . USA 1,2,3 here with Holloway, Daniel Roberts, Crettinden. I see a special of jus better than even money on Holloway win and Roberts to medal that i'll have some of

Jess Hull is a good price also to win her Semi this evening in 1500m. Think i saw 3/1 on her.

Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭klr87

The medal matches in the football are all a day earlier than I had thought, so first up is the men's bronze medal match (Egypt vs Morocco) at 4pm Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

'Chopra' from India in the Javelin. Any relation to Deepak? Asking for a friend..

• Advertisement

Advertisement