Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I switched to the buzzsaw from hell for the DLC and it was so much fun to use especially with buffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Stubbornly waiting for the 60FPS+ remaster before replaying Bloodborne.

Surely any decade now…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the fact I have a much better idea how scaling and upgrading, and just Souls games in general work now, that I'm going to hold off on upgrading weapons a bit until I find one I like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You have to be in the dlc to get that one. Bloodbourne is a weird one where it has an upgrade system but it's more like devil may cry were each weapon is a new moveset rather than the usual benefits. They're all very similar and viable and I usually go for one that is the most fun. Think I went for the cane for my first playthrough as I wanted to be a pimp ass MF.

I think bloodbourne would benefit from just giving you access to all the weapons at the start as once you get used to one moveset you don't change weapon as there's not much benefit and the disadvantage of learning a new moveset. Some of them are buried deep into the end game or dlc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been playing Tomb Raider 1 in its recent remastered form and thoroughly enjoying it. It's obviously aged in some regards, but what a reminder of what we actually lost in modern takes on the series (and indeed similiar adventure games). A proper sense of exploration. A real risk / reward to even basic mechanics like jumping and grabbing. Plenty of secrets to find and elaborate puzzles to solve (albeit often with lots of block pushing). The combat is rudimentary and it can all be pretty unforgiving if you forget to save at any point, but the experience holds up great - albeit with the more modern controls for me, as my brain couldn't quite handle the tank controls anymore :P

The t-rex and velicoraptors still come out of bloody nowhere, though.

• Advertisement

Yeah and that's why I struggled to move away from the Hunter's Axe. Even when I promised myself at the start of the DLC that I was going to find a DLC weapon and upgrade and use it, the effort of getting one of those up to the same level as the axe and getting used to a whole new moveset at that stage, especially given how hard the DLC is, just never happened. It's why I know I can't even start off with it this time, I'll fall into that loop again.

I'll stick with the saw cleaver to start off with and hopefully by the time I reach Bloodstarved Beast or so I'll have found a couple of weapons to choose from and likely just pick one and stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭McFly85

Bloodborne and Sekiro are my favourite Souls type games because I prefer to play them all with str/dex type builds with aggressive close combat which those 2 are really centered around.

After finishing off Elden Ring I’ve decided to work through the actual souls games, so I’ve gone back to Dark Souls 3 first as it’s my favourite of the ones I’ve yet to platinum. I know DS1 is revered and it really does have a massive sense of scale and exploration is pretty great, but I found it a chore combat wise - things just felt a bit off compared to the later games.

Demons souls was pretty good but felt very short and easy enough in the second half, and I’ve never played DS2.

I've never played DS1 or DS2, and at this point can't imagine I ever will. I know DS1 is meant to be hailed as a classic, but I can't imagine I'll get anything out of it that I really need to experience at this point, and from stuff I've seen the boss run-backs and some other aspects of the game just don't entice me. After I finish Bloodborne I'd rather play through DS3 or something again with a different build, or even try get the platinum in Demons Souls (I know there's criticism about the job Bluepoint did, but I really loved Demons Souls, flaws and all).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah, the formula has been refined over several games to the point where DS1 doesn’t feel like it’s the best at anything these games do, so without any fond memories of it it’s unlikely to knock your socks off.
    And I forgot to mention the laborious backtracking early game because fast travel is limited and doesn’t become available until you’re a fair bit into it.

Demons Souls is similar in that way, where your opinion of it is determined by how much you played the game when it first came out. I’ve only played the PS5 version and thought it was gorgeous and will definitely be going back to platinum it.

DS2 I’m interested in playing because it’s the black sheep, seems different enough to the Miyazaki led games to at least give a go(and in fairness I got it on sale!)

I'd still argue the intricate level design of Dark Souls 1 is the best of any Souls game. I fully understand why subsequent games moved away from that structure to allow more variety and flexibility, but by god the way DS1 constantly loops you back to recognisable points is a buzz none of the subsequent games have managed to recapture. Even things like running back to bosses has a powerful risk:reward element to exploration - while it's also perfectly fine IMO having a bonfire right outside a fog gate, there's that extra sense of almost puzzle gameplay when you have to figure out how to get back with resources intact.

It's been a while since I've played it and no doubt subsequent games have made notable mechanical improvements, but DS1 is still IMO an essential play. TBH they all are - even DS2, which is chaotic but compelling, especially in its Scholar of the First Sin iteration.

• Advertisement

I was surprised how well the first game has held up, I played the original a few years ago for a nostalgia buzz and ended up finishing it because it was just so good. The level design of subsequent games never gets as good as that first TR game. Not sure how you can play with modern controls, found them awful and went back to the original controls. They just allow way more precision than the modern controls allow. Maybe it's because I was playing the mich tougher TR3 at the time but it also kind of highlights that old game controls that take a while to get used to are just as viable as a more accessible and modern controls scheme and can even add to the game.

I'm planning on going back to the remaster to play the TR2 and TR3 expansion levels. The TR1 expansion was excellent but I recently watched a video of a playthrough with the original designer of the expansions and it's fascinating how much effort he put into them. He put a huge amount of effort in to make them interesting and they are worth playing with a walkthrough as each expansion stage has very elaborate secrets which all lead to h uge unique set pieces that you can very easily just miss.

The modern controls aren't perfect (I don't think they could be given the nature of the game) but the main problem is the tutorial hasn't been adapted to actually teach you them. I read one or two guides online to figure it out and they became a lot more viable than what the game suggested. Especially when it comes to things like safety drops.

Well into the Greece levels now and finding it all perfectly manageable with modern controls.

It could well be that I'm just hardwired to the old controls. I just can't get on with controls relative to the camera in games where the camera can be so wild in places. There were a few times were I couldn't see anything but I was quite confident in the direction I was going because I knew the controls!

I've no doubt the tank controls are more than up to the job, and offer precision the modern ones don't. But yeah it's been so long since I've played a tank game (other than the brief PS1 throwbacks in Lorelei and the Laser Eyes) my brain has been hardwired to the modern format.

I replayed Soul Reaver earlier this year and man, it's not even as tanky as the TR games but those controls are all over the place, especially just trying to control the camera with the shoulder buttons (which feel like they're the wrong way round).

Soul reaver has controls relative to the camera and they are so wonky with that wild camera.

I'm also near the end of Steambot Chronicles on the PS2 and it's introduced me to a new evil. There's no way to invert controller axis. This is fine when the default is what you are used to. This defaults to inverted y axis which is what I always use. However the Japanese are a sick and twisted people as they use inverted X axis controls and there's no way to change them in this game. It means I always press the wrong direction on the analogue stick when adjusting the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Might be one to watch for fans of immersive sims, although I wasn't a huge fan of Weird West personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Luna84

I'm well into Crackdown 2 at this stage but hurt my back two days ago and last night while playing the game it made my back worse so I will have to put the game on hold until my back heals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Cordell

It was doomed to fail, you can't cast geriatric have beens and still expect success from something that from start have limited appeal.

The film was a failure waiting to happen, but 'geriatric have beens' is a truly bizarre take on the cast - considering the likes of Cate Blanchett, Jack Black and Jamie Lee Curtis are as successful and/or acclaimed as they ever have been (the latter is a recent Oscar winner). If anything, it has a far more prestigious cast than the material or director deserved.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Id wait for public reviews over "movie critic" reviews before throwing it in the ignore forever bucket, you really cant trust movie critics anymore, especially these days. They either don't get it or the movie doesn't lean into their political ideals.. so id give it a bit more time, if both critic and audience scores are low, then yeah its likely a stinker, if critic is low with audience high then its like at least a decent movie 😁

You really cant trust the likes of gamespot or IGN for fair reviews, they were either bought and paid for or weren't bought and paid for and weren't happy about that 😄

So i either watch a freelance critic on youtube who i have learned to trust or skim metric sites to see what might be accurate, or come here and see if a poster i trust liked it..

I do this for both movies and games, though these days its easier to get a read on games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Gave AC Origins a quick run on PS5 to see how it compares to the XBox Series X version (which I no longer have). Hey, it was the price of a beer, don't hate me. 😁

The lower resolution is apparent but it still is a beautiful looking game, especially at 60FPS/HDR/OLED. The view from the top of the lighthouse in Alexandria is incredible.

If you have small kids, or someone who isn't into games, let them fly the hawk around like some ancient MS Flight Simulator / History / Geography lesson and it'll blow their minds. In fact it even has a history/discovery mode ...

Was looking for a higher res video but couldn't find it ...

Yeah I wouldn't say geriatric have beens, though I did think it was strange they cast someone of Cate Blanchett's age to be Lilith simply because I thought the character was much younger. Same way I never thought of Kevin Hart as Roland. But in terms of acting pedigree, the movie and their roles seemed so far beneath most of the cast (maybe not Kevin Hart in this instance but certainly Blanchett and Jamie Lee-Curtis).

The few reviews I read said that most of the cast were good in their roles, but had no real chemistry with each other and the rest of the film was just hot garbage. You really can't blame the cast for this. Seemed like a disaster waiting to happen from its very conception.

I've been there unfortunately. Not so bad when you've an injury where you can lie about and play (I got both my Arkham Asylum and Arkham City platinums years ago when I was laid up for a few weeks after an operation), but back is always trickier. A few times I hurt my back over the years you have to get up and keep moving to avoid getting stiff which means you can't sit and game.

Rest up and hope you feel better soon!

The mere existence of a 'Borderlands film' was enough to set off the loudest alarm bells, but 'directed by Eli Roth' sealed the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Cordell

Maybe I was too tough but I wanted a good Borderlands film, and they cast actors that are 30 years too old and quite likely didn't even know what Borderlands is.

I'm not blaming the cast, I'm blaming the casting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, whoever was in charge of casting needs to be fired. Who thought casting 5'2" "comedian" Hart to play the 5'11" serious soldier was a good idea. And just getting Black to voice Claptrap instead of... the guy who voices Claptrap... I expect nothing from it, and I still feel like I'm gonna be disappointed anyway.

In fairness, the guy who voices Claptrap doesn't voice Claptrap any more. The original guy was fired after a falling out with Randy Pitchford as well as saying he was offered substandard pay and accusing him of assault, and they brought in a soundalike for BL3.

Either way, it's as much about name recognition and doing press to advertise the movie rather than just movie performance.

• Advertisement

Whoever told the producers that the borderlands is are funny should be fired.

Advertisement