Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Section 31

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

The look and sound of multi million dollar creative bankruptcy right there.

Hard pass. It looks like it took all the awful bits of the Discovery approach, and ramped them up to 11. Completely devoid of ANYTHING that Star Trek represents. I'll be surprised if it's even worth pirating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,643 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Its 1948, the world believes Hitler is dead after murdering millions of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals & the disabled.

But now, he's joined a secretive subgroup of MI6 to save Democracy from the threat of Communism.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

section 31 was a poor storyline in ds9 can't see me searching out this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are the actors' voices going to be distorted to comply with regulations?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll probably check this out, but absolutely no way I'll pay for it. I've paid for Paramount+ with each show - but not this.

Said in the general thread but it looks so generic, and like some demo feel than any cohesive, actual franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is there absolutely any reason why that character needs to be Rachel Garrett. It's just getting so tiresome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks like a mix of Discovery and the third nu Trek movie, mixed with a CW writers trash can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Jesus I couldn't even get through the teaser trailer.

No-one, I repeat no-one asked for a spin off of Discovery. Initially I was excited about a series dedicated to Section 31, but while being a fan of Michelle Yeo, I really dont like the character of Phillipa Georgou. They surely have enough Section 31 material without her being the central character?

I think this will be a hard pass from me as well.

Well Discovery fans did ask and they got 3 of them.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised they could find 3 Discovery fans.

Well there was enough of them to get Strange New Worlds made.

The difference being, SNW is actually good.

I know Discovery is not terrible, but the main and central character in ST: Picard is Picard, they should have just called Disco, ST: Burnham.

I would say it is terrible and I'm almost certain S31 will be. I was just pointing out that it's wrong to say people didn't want a Disco spinoff.

Most of us are happy it got one.

Agreed per se, but I'm not sure SNW is down to 'Discovery fans' myself. It was just blindingly obvious to most watching Discovery (and likely to those funding the show) that Anson Mount was by FAR the best thing about Discovery season 2, and a show centered around him was a safe bet to expand into.

Ok so fans and people who casually watched it and the people who hate watched it wanted SNW.

They definitely did not all think he was "by FAR" the best thing though because Discovery got another 3 seasons and 2 other big stars of season 2 in Tilly and Space Hitler are getting spinoffs too.

I would say to those watching at the time, be they fans, fans still optimistically watching, disappointed fans, and indeed hate watchers, it was very apparent that Mount lit season 2 up in a way that the regular cast did not.

Tilly and Space Hitler getting spinoffs....Tilly certainly did have a fan base in the early days, she kind of represented the everyday person in extraordinary situations etc....that did seem to fade for me at least, and the character veered on a different path, though she still had her moments...i kinda get the clueless execs green lighting her a show based on initial reactions to her.

Space Hitler, yeah, no idea on that one. A scenery chewing theatrical villain not wholly removed from an episode of a Queen of Arachnia type affair.

Section 31 will likely be a total write-off. The academy show will be like Discovery, a complete waste of a premise I imagine.

At least Academy will be honest about being a young adult show unlike Disco which was clearly written that way despite being told it wasn't.

The same crowd who loved all that over emotional crap loved the "girl boss" emperor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,192 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"I know Discovery is terrible, but the main and central character in ST: Picard is Picard, they should have just called Disco, ST: Burnham."

FYP and yes I agree Disco might as well have been called "ST Bernham."

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Rawr

I remember being a fan of Tilly in Season 1. She was a lovable dork who was a excellent foil to Burnham's dark/intensive brooding in the early days. Alas, I feel that the producers somehow learned that Tilly had fans, and instead of just keeping things going natually, they doubled down on her and we get stupidity like "The Power of Math!" and her tripping over her own tongue when an Admiral is on the bridge. They never seemed to get back to Season 1 Tilly after that, and never really seemed to know how to write for her in general either. If these are the same people running Academy, I can't imagine things improving.

Georgio was an excellent Starfleet captain in the pilot episode. I would have totally watched an entire Trek show with her as Captain. Alas no…as you mention we get "Arachnia! QUEEEEEN of the SPIDER PEOPLE!" (…."Activate the Lightning Shield!!"). If she had a mustache she would have twirled it so much it may have become a mini-helecopter and lifted her off screen. No respect what-so-ever for this character. If the whole point of her is to be a "girl-boss bad ass" I have seen countless better examples of this. If Section 31 is just more of this, then they really shouldn't have bothered assembling Wish .com's version of Guardians of the Galaxy to hang out with her, it's just not going to be worth it.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly it, Michelle Yeoh is a fine, versatile and strong actor. It's the stage theatrics of mirror Georgiou that just doesn't work...at all.

I'm all for strong female characters, hell I've just finished The Acolyte and loved every second of it (genuinely don't get the hate, it puts the sequel films to shame), but mirror Georgiou is just baaaaaad in every way.

I honestly could have written that post. Agree on Tilly and agree on Georgiou. Georgiou from the Pilot I could watch all day. Her alternate universe copy however, just, no.

It's also highly unbelievable that a former Empress would fit into Starfleet long enough to join Section 31. How long would Putin last in MI6 recruitment training? I reckon about 40 minutes before a "Don't you know who I am??"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Acosta

More utter wa*k from Kurtzman, by the looks of it. It surely must be nearly over for that guy

He has been for the most part successful. His job is largely choosing which projects to run with and if needed to put the showrunner in place.

He is bad at the showrunner bit with the likes of Paradise at Discovery and the various people over Picard.

But he also signed off on Prodigy, Lower Decks and SNW. I'm sure though some people will weave some story about how it was done in spite of him or at gunpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Acosta

Have no interest in the cartoons, to be honest. As for SNW, the casting and production values were decent. But it's all for nothing when the writing is dreadful. To quote someone else, "They all sound like excited kids at the mall.'' I gave up after the first couple episodes of the second season. I don't know what the viewing figures are for these shows, but they don't appear to be made for traditional Star Trek fans.

I thought I could see myself watching the S31 tv movie, as it's just a one off feature length thing. But I doubt I'll even manage that after that God awful trailer.

Ah I could see why you think that then. Lower Decks and SNW were well received by older Trek fans and I was making assumptions based on that.

Section 31 was always going to be Discovery on cocaine given the setting and lead character so not at all surprised how bad it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,643 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think we'll be rooting for the bad guys to finish off Section31 In this film. Send them to Starbase 80

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Advertisement