Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of the 4G or 5G faf for travelling in Ireland or around Europe!

• 31-07-2024 8:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

The starlink mini, some features :

1. Can run off 12V/24V @ ~40 watts
    2. Typically gets better than 100mbs
    3. Works on most of the European continent!
    4. Unlimited data for €59 or €40 for 50GB per month (no contract - can be paused indefinetly)
    5. Works on the move so you can use wifi on your phone for google maps while driving - now you dont need lots of roaming data on your phone plan when abroad.
    6. You just need to be able to see the sky - zero service issues in remote areas

Lots of reviews on youtube.. heres one ( ignore the american prices - its slightly cheaper here and you dont need an existing residential setup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I use my lifetime GOMO sim with unlimited data, 9.99 per month. Worked perfectly in france last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

GoMo only gives an allowance of 16 GB when roaming in the EU. Drive into Switzerland and you're out of bundle.

If your device takes an e-sim, there are other ways of having relatively low cost data in EU and certainly cheaper than Starlink (and without the capital cost too).

Mine specifies 1TB in my contract and I used way more than 16GB in france without being charged. Perhaps I'm on a grandfathered in deal that is no longer available? In either case, I agree, starlink is a waste of money (I used to have it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Agreed I think you are on a grandfathered deal ( costs ), I also have starlink (at home) and would be screwed without it, until the NBS gets to my place in 2026.

I think currently with GoMo 40Gb would cost €14.99 (first 16gb) + (14 x €2.21 ) = ~€45 in the EEA.. in any other countries it would be €30 per GB!

If you can suck up the initial capital costs the mini is not bad for €40 / month especially if you are going to remote areas where there is little or no cellular coverage. While on the wild atlantic way I got caught once or twice with 5mbs and it was annoying.

Have to say I'm tempted by guaranteed high speeds everywhere before I head off to Europe in the camper.

Yup, mine is 9.99 per month and no longer available.

We had starlink at the house for 2 years before the fiber broadband reached us and I have to say I found it somewhat sporadic. We work from home and I find the slower but more reliable fiber to be better than the fluctuation of starlink.

I guess if I ever get to the stage where I get to work from the van and be outside Ireland or something I'd consider the mobile starlink but outside of that it's hard to see the use case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

Vodafone X gives 35GB/month EU roaming for €20 for 28 days, but the best part is that if you run out of data before 28 days you can top up again and immediately receive another 35GB allowance. It also supports Switzerland.
    Best option I'm aware of.

Advertisement