Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail New Proposed Timetable - August 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The PPT services terminating at Connolly might have had the largest responses to the consultation, but the explanation tells you that there would have been a much larger objection if they’d changed the Maynooth or Northern services to terminate at Connolly as a result - the numbers on those trains are far in excess of the PPT.

You can’t please everyone no matter what happens with timetable changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stopping Maynooth-Drumcondra services are showing as taking 33-34 minutes on the journey planner for the new timetable.

Its 38-44 on the current timetable

I can't see this being right? Can't find any actual pdf timetables to compare to

On a sample journey, its a minute or two cut between most stations. Some are showing two minutes between two stations, which would only be possible with faster acceleration and massively cut dwell times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭p_haugh

For the new Wexford change, does that imply that the 21:25 Wexford/Gorey train will physically be attached to the train running the 22:05 Gorey/Connolly service (assuming they're both operated by the same train type)? Or is it the case that passengers will transfer at Gorey and then the Wexford train will go special to Connolly.

Also good to see Broombridge added to all Sligo services imo. That will provide a good interchange with the Luas for onward connections.

No as the Wexford set overnights in Gorey to operate the commuter service next morning.

At the moment it runs empty from Wexford to Gorey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 orb123

Passengers will transfer to another train at Gorey. Up to now, An empty train ran every night on weekdays between Wexford and Gorey so the only change is passengers are now allowed onboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sekond

Darts seem to be taking longer again. Trains now leave Greystones 3 minutes earlier, and arrive in Tara Street 1 minute later. Yes, it's only 4 minutes difference, but the same thing happened that last time they adjusted the timetable. And that's before they account for the new station at Woodbrook whenever that opens).

Ah right thanks, wasn't aware of that. I thought it previously went special from Wexford all the way to Connolly.

Response 16 says otherwise at the bottom of the link below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

No link there.

Talk to anyone working on the ground and they'll tell you the truth. Maybe you're just listening to the company line.

Yeah, as expected, it's just the company line. The drivers are there. Regional depots might be a bit tight, but there's plenty for PPT services. It's just easier for the company to blame driver shortgages.

I’d be careful about posting something like that - as you’re actually saying they’re lying about it.

They are specific replies to each issue raised.

Unless you’re actually involved in the detailed work drawing up the rosters or the schedules, I’m not sure how you can say that with certainty.

There's a difference between "enough drivers if overtime is run at huge levels" and "enough", also. I've worked places that have been staffed to the former and absolutely not the latter; costs go out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yet most of them already terminated at Connolly or Pearse.

They are just no longer using the Pearse sidings to start services or very sparsely. Well and good trying to enhance punctuality but the reality is the signillers will always priorise delayed DARTs which is the main cause of delays. That will not change.

The demnad argument also dosn't really stack up either in justifying the changes.

• Advertisement

It’s not like OT is paid at a higher rate anyway. It’s the same as any other work day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Regarding the removal of Commuter services operating from Maynooth/Drogheda to Bray and vice versa, here is the reason:

"In order to improve fleet availability and reduce congestion on the network, we have removed the existing Commuter services to/from Bray.

It is however still possible for customers to interchange with the DART service to continue these journeys."

It is somewhat understandable and being sandwiched between DARTs 10 minutes apart, they often cruised by at stopping speed passed the stations they skipped. I'm pretty sure that passengers at these stations found this to be a bit of a tease. Nevertheless, they were handy for trips into Dublin city, not to mention comfortable to be on. Finally, as an occasional trainspotter, I'll personally miss seeing them around.

Anyone else disappointed by this decision?

They were mostly pointless trains. Better off on the Dart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Could they not have routed PPT service to Docklands as an alternative?

The current Docklands station isn’t accessible from the line through Drumcondra station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Where can I view the new timetable?

It’s just in the journey planner at the moment.

They haven’t got the pdfs up just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Paul2019

So, apologies because I haven't been paying attention but does this mean no diesel services south of GCD except for Rosslare? Back Garden backs on to the railway line and some of those 8 coach 2900s can be quite an event with noise and pollution when they're powering up, especially around 17:30 on a sunny day.

There'll still be some services running to Bray, but far fewer than previously.

Okay, thanks for that. I'll be taking a new interest in this topic.

You might want to check again.

I am pretty certain that no diesel services to/from Maynooth or the Northern line will operate south of Grand Canal Dock.

There won’t be any diesels laying over in Bray anymore.

I've mixed feelings about that.

I won't miss the noise or the fumes but there will be less variety for someone who enjoys having the railway there.

Thanks for the update.

You’re right. I originally thought the morning services were the only ones being dropped, and the 14.50 ex Drogheda was staying, but looking at the new timetable, it’s gone as well.

New DART fleet will be testing later this/early next year before entering service on the route.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Appears to be a lot of problems with this new timetable. A lot of delays and today cancellations. Is it just teething problems or some bigger issue?

• Advertisement

There certainly do appear to be issues on the Connolly side - I'd assume the schedulers are busy trying to figure out what the the causes are - that might mean some changes to the timetable in the coming weeks.

That work should be done pre adopting the timetable…

Hold on a few weeks and they can blame wheel slip for further delays.

Only Irish Rail don't see these timetable issues ahead of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I usually get to Broombridge sometime around 18.50 heading west.

Seems to be a new gap in the timetable just about then. I'll have just missed an 18.46 to Maynooth unless it's running late. There's a 19:04 to M3 which does me fine, and the next is the 19:27 to Maynooth.

Strikes me as quite early in the evening for there to be 40 minute gaps between Maynooth services as this is still commuting time. And looks like a general downgrade in services, there seemed to be a lot more around 19:00 in the previous timetable, though I don't have it to hand. Has there been a service withdrawn (or maybe going earlier?). Not a big deal really, but has just reduced the attractiveness for me of using Luas & Rail to get home at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Will there be another consultation soon as part of a new timetable to be implemented in December 2024?

No, this timetable should run until Dec 25 though changes are possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭thomasj

yeah the 18.35 departure out of Connolly is too early. given that its starting from Connolly they should push it back to 18.47, in line with the pattern of :17 and :47 departures out of Connolly and as a result cutting it back to a 30 minute gap . Theres no reason for the 18:35 given that the Sligo train doesnt leave until 19:30 now

Theres a similar gap between the 20:17 out of connolly to Maynooth and the 20:55 to Mullingar, they should bring it forward to 20:47 it will tidy up the gap between 20:17, 20:47 and 21:17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

New timetable is a daily sh!tshow in Portmarnock anyway.

Darts having to wait in Malahide for delayed commuter trains. And some of those commuter trains while scheduled to stop in Portmarnock are just blasting through. Trying to catch up time?? Not sure. Either way we've got delayed commuters not stopping when scheduled to stop and those delayed commuters resulting in Darts delayed in Malahide having to wait for commuter to pass.

Hardly a surprise where IR are concerned.

Billions in surplus and not a single meaningful infrastructure project in the pipeline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Delays in Connolly this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

The 8.10 train from Rush to Connolly hasn't shown up since this new timetable was introduced. Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I haven't had one train arrive on time from Clongriffin to the city since this timetable came into place. The trains are arriving at the old time, so 5 minutes late.

The problem always seems to be the commuter. The Dart in Malahide obviously needs to let the commuter over take it and it always passes through Clongriffin before the Dart shows up. Shambolic.

OK the flip side, the train from the city to the Northside are working great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Internally I have heard that many drivers are extremely unhappy with the new timetable as is; set and driver changes being fitted in at rush hour along with some tweaks foisted onto the fleet department who knew well that they just won't work out. Expect some minor changes in the next 2 weeks to try and oil things.

Another late from from Clongriffin tonight. It was due at 6:31, didn't arrive until 6:41 or so.

Every single train has been late for me too, at one or both ends (some did leave the starting point on time).

It's funny, leaving the city had been spot on for me which is great. I'm just having awful hassle getting to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Same issue here, I usually get the 17:27 from Connolly to Drogheda during the week and it hasn't been on time once, usually between 5 and 10 minutes late. Then when it gets to Malahide, it gets stuck outside for about 5 minutes while waiting for a platform.

Another evening and another Dart from Clongriffin to the City Center delayed nearly 10 minutes by a late commuter. It wouldn't be so bad if the commuter picked passengers up, but this one doesn't stop at Clongriffin.

Is the delay just train departing late or is it a bigger issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭thomasj

Irish rail posted a comment on the article on new timetable

Timetable update: 6th September

Dear Customers, As with all major timetable changes, we closely monitor its implementation to identify any issues which arise which may impact service performance.  We have experienced some issues impacting punctuality performance in the first two weeks of the implementation of the new timetable, notably arising from congestion in the Connolly Station area affecting Commuter routes feeding into Connolly.  We are analysing these issues to improve punctuality for our customers, examining any minor modifications or platform changes which will assist in addressing these issues.  Should this require any minor modifications to service times to resolve, we will liaise with the NTA to seek approval for these and advise customers in advance of any changes.  We apologise to customers for any inconvenience they have experienced, and assure customers we are working to resolve these initial issues.

10 minutes late leaving the city tonight. Absolute **** show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Last Friday a commuter train heavily delayed the DART from Malahide such that then, in their infinite stupidity,they can sped that DART through all the stations. Since the next DART was also late people from Howth Junction onwards were waiting half an hour between DARTs instead of ten minutes. Did they inform us about this or apologize? You know the answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement