Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Olympics boxers Paris 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,538 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

some fight, who'd call it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

From these games who do you think will have the biggest impact in the pro game? Alvarez certainly looks absolute class. Khychniek maybe a bit old but made for the pro game. I really like that Spanish lad at Super HW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭secman

Another cracker on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The Ukrainian is relentless with a sneaky good defence. Reminds me of GGG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭megadodge

They have to give the last round to Khyzniak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Right winner thankfully no bad judging in the finals so far

Brilliant fight.

To think Khyzniak is really a middle, but he moved up due to the weight changes and still completely physically dominated the bigger men.

I know he's a Cuban, which means there's a strong chance he won't turn pro, but Alvarez looks perfectly suited for the pro game. He obviously has the skills, but unlike many of the top amateurs, he throws punches with the intention of taking your head off. He's also physically strong and defensively sound.

Of course, Cubans can be hit and miss once they leave their homeland, but I'd love to see him turn over.

I also think the Canadian Sanford, who got the bronze in the same weight (I thought he was a little unlucky in the semi) could be one worth watching in the pros.

The Mexican Alvarez in the 71kg final will definitely turn over. I see him as being a very exciting fighter (takes one to give one) who should have a big following in a short time. How good he'll be I'm not sure, but we'll probably see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Stephen Molloy Kellie's first boxing coach is in the papers today saying since Kellie won the second Gold medal he has a list as long as his arm of the names of kids who have put their names down to join the club.

He says it'll be the same in every club in Dublin with an explosion of young girls joining the sport in the coming months and among them could well be another future Olympic Gold medalist for Ireland.

Kellie is back home this Sunday and I'd say she's going to get an awesome welcome from her local community, what a legend of a lady and a great role model she is.

Katie Taylor congratulated her saying "You have sealed your place as an icon of Irish sport and going down in history as a legend. Two time Olympic Champion- wow!!!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

More illustrious yes, but world Championships in amateur boxing are a real slog and incredibly hard to win

World Championships in any sport are incredibly hard to win, the clue is in the name.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Listen, im not having a pop. The Olympics in boxing has more eyes on it, it also acts as added promotion should you medal and then turn over into the pro game.

Talking about the sport of boxing (the men's anyway) it's 100% more difficult to win (or even medal) at the WC's. It's why we probably have more men's Olympic medals in boxing than WC medals. It's a fact.

Jaysus, lads…Olympic boxing golds are very difficult to win and WC golds are very difficult to win. I'd argue maybe the world that bit more a challenge, but it's only by a small margin.

This discussion stems from the Kellie v Katie view on who is the best Irish boxer.

Purely on amateur success, I'll take an Olympic gold medalist and 5 times WC ahead of a double Olympic and 1 time WC.

Nobody is interested in discussing the Kellie v Katie topic with you, you keep trying to make it a discussion point but nobody wants to engage with you.

This thread is about the Olympics and most of us are over the moon with Kellie's success in once again winning Gold at the Olympics. It's an incredible achievement for any athlete never mind for one from our small nation.

Most of us have nothing but admiration for her and the positive role model she is for young people.

You on the other hand obviously have some kind of issue with the success Kellie is enjoying, just let it go whatever it is and be proud that a fellow Irish person is a two time Olympic Gold medalist.

You're some awful salty whinger. You've been replying to me constantly on the thread and here you are again….all because I said we don't generally produce punchers.

And calling another poster's post, who made a valid point, utter nonsense.

Posters have discussed with me on Kellie v Katie. A few have. Nobody is asking you to. If you want to, go ahead. Threads can wander and meander slightly, you know. Quit your passive aggressive whining replies to me. You don't get to say what can and cannot be discussed.

No one is whinging only yourself, you can expect to be corrected when you spout rubbish or won't stop with your begrudgey.

Just try and enjoy the success Kellie has had and let it go that you were offended by something she wrote in her book about Peter Taylor that you didn't agree with or whatever else is making you so jealous of her.

• Advertisement

Yes, as said anyone who bandies about the "you're a "begrudger" like you do when you aren't ranting and raving platitudes about a person, is usually a waste of time…….that waste of time being you.

I'm posting on this forum 7 years and have used the word begrudger twice in those 7 years, both times in this thread and both times I was referring to yourself.

Have a read back over your posts in this thread and reflect on that.

Yes, once it was said when I said we don't generally produce punchers….and once when I said that I thought Katie was a better boxer than Kellie (in response to another poster, and not you).

Almost forgot, I think me (a middle aged man) saying I'd hold my own against Kellie and Amy in a boxing match really irked you….

Reflect, yes….you really should…..

Post edited by walshb on

I 100% stand over the comments regarding the WC's v Olympics, to say it's nonsense is gas, but you are welcome to disagree. It's not being said in the context of who is better, both women are rightly legends.

I feel the Olympics brings out alot of casual boxing fans who would have zero inclination to watch the worlds, I'm a former amateur fighter myself, competed internationally. I always viewed the Olympics as great showcase to do well if you are going pro, just my personal opinion, but I know loads of boxers who dreamed of a WC medal moreso than Olympic gold. Its the acid test, the absolute best from every country, the field is incredibly deep and leads to the best invariably winning at each weight.

Its not a swipe at Kellie who is a former world champ herself

I don't even think it's a matter of opinion that we don't produce punchers, we never really have, maybe it's not in our DNA. It's a strange thing to be angry about.

Starting from 20:30 tonight we have four boxing finals

In order: Men's 57, women's 75, men's 52 and women's 54

Correction: two finals and two semis. Men's 57 semis and Women's 75 semis.

Not agreeing with someone doesn't equate to being angry with them.

It's quite funny the way some people try to define and label another poster and then go on in the very same post to display the characteristics they tried to label the other person with. (I'm not referring to you by the way.) Too many body punches to the head I'd say coupled with the know it all "I could have been a contender" chip on the shoulder.

I agree with you it's not a matter of opinion we don't produce punchers, it's a matter of fact that we do.

All you have to do is look at the records that speak for themselves. Off the top of my head Wayne McCullough, Andy Lee, John Duddy, Eamonn McGee, Steve Collins and Barry McGuigan all had savage knockout records.

Andy Lee's knockout of John Jackson is considered by some to be the greatest knockout in the history of boxing.

I mentioned a couple of young Irish boxers earlier in the thread that are only starting out and have a savage knockout, Callum Walsh, Tommy Hyde and Brandon McCarthy. We even had a former Olympian Kevin McBride who put Mike Tyson on his arse and stopped him.

Wayne McCullogh a puncher!!! You're a terrible funny man. Too many punches to head is right!!!

If ya wanna say a volume puncher, I'll definite agree there

Collins never much of a puncher, Duddy the same. Not feather-fisted, but far from dynamite. Ok hitters. You don't seem to have a clue what a puncher is. Maybe take your head away from boxrec stats. There's more to it than looking up records

Post edited by walshb on

Just stuck my head into the BoxRec stats there especially for you Champ.

Wayne McCullough had 34 professional fights 18 of which he won by knockout.

What BoxRec doesn't tell you is that Wayne McCullough had 318 fights as an amateur of which he won 100 by knockout.

That's probably one of, if not the best, ever record of knockouts in the history of amateur boxing.

If facts don't suit you I've no problem with that, but at the end of the day they're still facts.

You're obviously best suited to the world of fantasy where you can see yourself taking on the Irish lady boxers and holding your own.

• Advertisement

Wayne McCullough a puncher…..we'll just leave it there, lad! 😂

BTW, did you ever hear of a TKO? You should have a check on it.

Hint, regarding Wayne: Death by a 1000 cuts!

The irony of what you’re claiming being that pretty much any “criticism” of Wayne as a fighter was his lack of any real power at all.

Oh, and just in case I get labeled a begrudger on this one, I happen to think McCullough was one greatest boxers amateur and professional that we have ever produced

Advertisement