Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"Hi Sir, remember a few years ago when you stuck to the script for a press conference and became president and could go golfing all day? You were incredible that day, Sir. A real powerhouse, Sir. Very presidential."

"Yes, yes, that was, that was a good day. Maybe I'll add that in today's briefing. Have you the script there? I just need to ehh... sprinkle a little bit of ehhh... panache in it. Know what I mean?"

(Assistant hands over speech, Trump glances at it, and puts it in his pocket, completely unmarked.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

C-SPAN has one listed for later today, according to Maggie Haberman [NYT] and AP. If his choice for V/P ISN'T with him, it'll probably indicate more of the usual Trump routine about the lawsuits against him, unless he's going to pull the rug out from under his campaign without giving them a heads-up and announce his retirement.

Edit: I expect some mention will be made of his "wins" in some court cases [appeals being made against said judges rulings] and he'll attack other courts rulings that he doesn't like.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Man, that's too funny.

What a climbdown.

This is the man they think will stand up against Putin?! 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Kalyke

He has called a "General News Conference" for 2pm Mara Lago time…..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Imagine if he's announcing his retirement from politics, due to ill health. It's nigh on inconceivable that he hasn't been in front of a camera in DAYS. In an election campaign!

I think it would mean JD for the main ticket (lol) and either Vivek or Haley for VP. The sensible money would be on Nikki Haley, established, good base, good counterpart to mid west folksy Walz, but you know it would be Vivek. Tech bros before hoes etc.

(It's not going to happen, but I have COVID, so it's nice to think about something fantastic)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Don't get your hopes up lads, he will just waffle along like he usually does. Might even mention that the election is being stolen with the recent polls showing his lead vanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,853 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Keep attacking the military....

(Community notes ftw)

• Advertisement

This might rebound on me but I am continually amazed at some of the contenders inability to check the source of their comments before they use the contents to attack their opponents as part of their political campaign.

AFAIK, JD was questioning Walz military record yesterday to the effect that Walz resigned from his NG Unit shortly after it was notified of a stint of upcoming overseas service and avoided active service thereby with his former unit. Some of his former unit members were used in the attack by JD on Walz. JD also included mention of his own US military service abroad in Iraq in the same breath.

To me, it would be a matter of common sense to have been prepared for questions like that to pop up and to have everything quartered away in preparation. Egg sticks to faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

You forget that his comments are aimed at his and trumps supporters, you know - morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Didn't Trump run against the Iraq war? Doesn't seem to be a good play for Vance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump will not be announcing anything. This is nothing more than an attempt to get the spotlight back. He clicks his fingers and the media, X and everybody pays attention.

That is exactly as he wants it.

A press conference, where he gets to lead the narrative.

Everyone was saying how much coverage Harris was getting and Trump is a genius at getting the coverage back onto him. He doesn't need to do anything. Just turn up and maybe spit out some half baked ideas that he hasn't even thought about, never mind thought though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭briany

Holding a press conference is a pretty standard thing - not exactly a genius level tactic of regaining control of the media spotlight. He'd have to do a bit more than that. He can't coast by on his usual word salad. People will tune out.

Comedian Tim Dillon made a good point:- the reason why the Harris campaign suddenly looks so good is (in part) because they're the ones who are throwing the party all of a sudden. While the rallies of Clinton and Biden looked like fairly dry and stage managed affairs, there's a fair organic buzz about Harris/Walz, especially when and where Walz lands a zinger on the Trump campaign.

In high-level US politics, the ability to be charismatic and entertaining is pretty underrated, and something the Harris ticket needs to keep on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

And that's the crux! Kim Kardashian could win or be a viable candidate. Politics in the U.S is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He's sounding completely doddery in this press conference. He can't maintain a coherent single thought. This isn't gonna help him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,127 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is rambling nonsense. People are suffering because they can't afford bacon. Going back to the insane asylums, as he thinks that's what "asylum seeker" means.

Border Tsar, twice.

You win. Jesus, this is shockingly incoherent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This press conference is something else. The deluded ramblings of a madman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,853 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

waits patiently for the U.S. to call for him to step down as the candidate

Fair but brilliant judge - The one that ruled in his favour 😂

I assume all the journo's will be vetted, so he doesn't get any hardball questions.

How much of an increase in take-home pay does the average working family get from the economy upswing in the US - do things look good for them, with a follow-on effect on the economy that'll be to their liking?

There's been a fair amount of mention of the shares-sales and a downturn in shares value on the markets last week, with a reported upswing this week wiping out last weeks losses and both political parties seeking the approval of the unions head offices, and the unions members, for their candidates. Are the unions and their members speaking with one voice?

One thing I saw last week was that Trump seemed to have guessed that there would be a downturn in share prices last week, in that he had spoken about it some 2 or 3 hours before it began. Maybe his comments were published after the downturn began, giving the wrong impression that he was more aware of how the markets were trending then. The Fed had only made it's decision to hold things steady as it goes. He didn't like the Feds approach to things at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It's yet another occasion where I look at this guy spouting lie after lie and wonder how any even moderately sane individual could voluntarily go into a voting centre and cast their vote for him.

This is just so brutally bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apparently the weight of an electric vehicle is 2.5x that of a petrol one. Wow, I never knew that. They'll have to rebuild all the bridges if they force through electric vehicles.

Such a high IQ individual...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Even when he's talking about crowd sizes, he's struggling to get passionate. He got vaguely passionate when Shapiro got mentioned. He's just struggling to bother. Reintroducing election conspiracy theories now and that won't help him. Basically he comes across as weak and pissed off. 😂

If Simon Harris behaved like this, he'd be ousted... Shameful state for that party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

is it “flood the zone with ****” or is it “old man can’t remember what cloud he is yelling at”

Advertisement