Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

^^^^ feel your pain. You're not alone mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The parents of kids at our local Gaelscoil are the biggest load of cliquey wánkers going.

When our kids were in the scouts, these parents wouldn't even make eye contact with, never mind talk to, parents of kids going to English-language schools. We were lower than dirt in their eyes.

There's a big element of racism in choosing that school, too.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

They make up a tiny percentage but politicians are terrified of them, to the extent they will enact ridiculous legislation like the Official Languages Act which costs us a fortune.

The second paragraph is nothing to do with the Irish language, it's just ignorant people being ignorant. We also forget just how small a country we are, is the average Irish person well-up on the political history of, say, Panama, and when it won independence from Colombia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there are experienced Irish healthcare professionals who have used ‘third world’ to describe it..actually on record as describing it as such.

One ranking of health systems about a year ago, had us at #80. Iran, Albania, Algeria and Kenya all ahead of us, ranking is based on several studied and measured criteria….

Considering what we spend on healthcare, that’s shocking.

I’ve been through our system as a patient, still am, so I understand enough thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another one has us in 23rd out of 167 in 2023.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1376359/health-and-health-system-ranking-of-countries-worldwide/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The prevalent attitudes expressed towards people involved in agriculture in Ireland is something can be quite disheartening. They are basically all thick ignorant culchies who had a farm handed to them, have a load of money squirrelled away somewhere but wont spend it. They live off government handouts, have little education, little knowledge of nature and are only interested in animals that make them money. They also probably treat their animals terribly and poison wildlife…

It is an awful stereotype that people couldnt possibly have evidence to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭boetstark

Didn't interfere with people going about their everyday business though.

Well the vast majority of farmland is inherited so how is that wrong?

There's a lot of truth in the not paying tax and wouldn't spend Christmas thing, too.

And yes farmers are heavily taxpayer supported. Cost of food in the EU is way above world market prices as well as direct subsidies.

Then they campaign against things like the nitrates directive, i.e. we want to be able to pollute the shît out of every waterway in the country and we want you to pay us to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well according to world rankings Ireland is around 23rd see link below.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1290168/health-index-of-countries-worldwide-by-health-index-score/

Care to post evidence of your claims of being 80th and quotes from the health care professionals who probably have an axe to grind?

I posted one of the things I don’t like about our culture is people putting the country down and I think this is a good example

Level of care in Ireland is very high. Access is an issue but it’s not third world in any way

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lots of the farming threads begin like there's unwanted nature on my land, how can I poison it?

There's a grain of truth in all those stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭riddles

I hate the fact that Irish culture is a thing of the past.

I also hate that the concept of a social contract has been ripped up and dumped down the gutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭coffey87

Agree with this, I really hate the way Irish people put their country down at every turn, it seems a very Irish thing, most other nationalities big up their country where possible. The Irish health service is pretty poor in comparison to other western developed countries, but its not 3rd world, , that's just hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Tea.

The taking of tea.

The milky sugary horribleness of it all.

I loathe our tea.

That is all, the rest of Ireland is grand. Mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

most are handed farms tbf. But I wouldn’t call them uneducated etc, the big ones can tend to have a lot of money squirreled away , I know this from a previous profession. But a lot of people have money squirreled away!

Irish culture is a thing of the past is in your head only and is not a fact despite what you say.

As for the social contract no idea what you're on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It's not like you have to add the milk and sugar for the tea you are personally drinking. You seem bothered what other people drink

While I don't particularly like the Irish brands of tea it is actually stronger than British tea as we use more Assam tea leaves. As such it isn't weak tea which some people dislike including myself so I prefer Punjana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

How GAA players who break the law are put up on pedestals in local communities and can do no wrong…whether it's drink driving, assault, fraud or robbery…..

"did ya hear Johnny got convicted for stealing 100k from his employer to feed his gambling addiction?"

"ah yeah, but shure lookit - he's one of the greats. Remember that last second point he scored to win us the county title a few years back!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's the one thing I absolutely hated about rural Irish culture - some bellend takes some unbelievably petty thing and act like they're better than everyone else. The same Gaelgoirs are the demographic who've supplied the clowns responsible for the demise of the language. The thing that really fries me is the fact that there are working models for educating children to full bilingualism and more across Europe. Dutch kids don't begin learning English until 10 and end up famously fully fluent. Instead of innovating and adapting, the same cretins just feathered their own nests at the literal expense of everyone else.

I remember reading about rampant racism in Gaelscoils as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭pjordan

I think a lot of that so called "superiority" is actually a form of fawning, craven subservience and guilt/unworthiness born out of a long term inferiority complex, caused by both colonialism, the hijacking of nationalism by the Republican movement and the over-arching power the Catholic church (and it's associated preoccupation with the sin and pride especially) held for a good part of the last hundred years.

In reality we still crave any little bit of acknowledgement or recognition on the international stage and we cling so much to the inferior opinion we have of ourselves that it often takes recognition or praise (or the active involvement of outsiders) from outside for us allow us to feel good about ourselves. That is changing slowly, down the years from things like our musical exports thru Riverdance (initially led by two Irish Americans) and even the brashness of Conor McGregor thru to the brilliant sincere confidence demonstrated by many of our young Olympians over the past two weeks.

However there's till likely to be a backlash against any one seen to be getting notions or too big for their boots or not showing appropriate humility, so that it often takes the over confident bordering on brash personality to rise above that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

that link is behind a paywall.

Health is more than just ‘care’ , and for what it’s worth frontline care and staff are exceptional. Waiting lists, timely access to services, procedures and treatments which are critical to health outcomes, improvements and ‘recovery’ is actually appalling and in fact third world in every aspect. We have had until recently and maybe still, the least number of rehabilitative beds per head of population in the entire EU..I’ve posted those stats and an article before so I’m not trawling the web but overall, in the EU Ireland has the lowest bed ratio to population.

“Despite this, Professor Curley said Ireland ranks number 80 in the world for performance…”

The ranking is motioned in this article and others…

www.newstalk.com/news/former-hse-executive-ireland-possibly-the-worst-performing-health-system-in-the-northern-hemisphere-1483528

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2023/03/29/health-service-has-a-deficit-of-almost-1000-hospital-beds-esri-estimates/

and the population continues to spike out of control.

A hydrotherapy pool in the Mater that they closed down due to lack of ‘funding’ is one example, third world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭H_Lime

You seem bothered about me being bothered by what other people drink :)

Milky tae is an abomination to me is all, enjoy your Punjana. Farmers drop of milk and two sugars?

I'll stick with me gyokuro shibushi, which is the single most pretentious thing I've ever written down.

Ps, is this the Ray Palmer who worked in Dublin ind est once?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭riddles

Sorry about paywall, didn't seem to be like that yesterday.

Here's another survery showing Ireland as 18th

ttps://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/best-healthcare-in-the-world

Just search in table.

Below is another report showing Ireland's placement in OECD for waiting lists and it's by no means the worst.

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/242e3c8c-en/1/3/2/index.html?itemId=/content/publication/242e3c8c-en&csp=e90031be7ce6b03025f09a0c506286b0&itemIGO=oecd&itemContentType=book

Bear in mind this is for the OECD which is way above any third world country you keep comparing it to.

As for your comments, your link is from an ex employee who like yourself provides opinions not data.

The 80th ranking you refer to is from the same ex employee with no reference or link to source,.

Your comments about waiting times are just exaggerated, false and anecdotal.

I know our system is not perfect and there's huge room for improvement but I do know that the level of care given is generally world class.

Problems are more to with capacity, management, administration and structures and not levels of care,

Well why don't you elaborate your point instead of just ignoring or dismissing people who ask you to back up what you claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There's an Irish Times article that uses that same quote from Professor Curley.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/06/21/irelands-health-system-is-one-of-the-lowest-performing-in-the-northern-hemisphere/#:~:text=By%20a%20broad%20spectrum%20of,in%20the%20world%20in%202021.

The link at 'ranked at number 80" in 2021 brings you to the current 2024 figures, which has Ireland at 6th in the world.

That's a bit of an anomaly, from 80th to 6th. 🤨

While I doubt we are realistically 6th in the world, I'd say we're closer to 6th than 80th.

https://ceoworld.biz/2024/04/02/countries-with-the-best-health-care-systems-2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

We just want to be able to drink our amazing tea in peace : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I just don't get why the worst thing in ireland is something you don't have to experience it doesn't bother me because I personally don't have to drink it.

Hate sugar in tea and don't add much milk

No I am Ray Palmer as in The Atom

Advertisement