Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

That would make sense, but I think it might be too complicated for Vanilla!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didn't realise mods could completely ban posters from the whole of Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

In theory you're correct, but with the example of that thread, there's a lot of bans that have been handed out for bickering between posters on thread that back in the day would have been dealt with visibly with the card system before they got out of hand and mods posting in thread (this just simply doesn't happen anywhere near enough BTW).

If all discussions about popular topics were put into a super thread format and you had approaching 100 banned users you're going to just stop people using the site in the long run.

Bans should have time limits with the expectation of better behaviour at their conclusion.

There's people serving sentences in Irish prisons for violent assault that last less time than threadbans on boards.ie.

I recently posted in a thread that was merged into a thread I was banned from and two weeks later I got a pointed warning from an admin for posting while threadbanned, so merging threads is not necessarily the panacea you may think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Yes, site bans were I think before Vanilla for accumulation of cards. There was a progression starting from forum bans and the duration would increase the more infractions you would gather and reach up to permanent site bans.

Not sure how it works today. I thought threadbans were a way to allow users comment in other threads, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It was done automatically with the card system iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

See, you're talking sense there and there is little sense, consistency or logic in how threads are managed. In my view, there needs to be a full stand down of moderators in AH/CA - put them back to modding things like rugby, cricket and egames. Replace with moderators who are up to date and knowledgeable on current affairs, who can moderate keeping in mind site rules but who keep their own personal biases and grudges out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'm not sure they can do it outright.

But if they give enough points warnings, the end result will be a site-wide ban, abeit a temporary one.

I'm pretty sure I read a case of this in the dispute forum recently, where someone was issued 3 separate warnings on the same thread in very quick succession, resulting in the poster being site-banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

In all honesty, some sort of AI tool would be a better fit for CA in particular. Just enforce rules end of. Mods are only human, of course they're going to have had run in with people and have opinions on them formed over time. Eliminate that and you just get rules enforced, don't ban people indefinitely but keep tabs on their behaviour after they serve bans. Just have a bit of common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

To be honest it sounds like you have more of a bias problem than the mods. Being up to date on current affairs should have no effect on whether a mod can do their job or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fantasy stuff that doesnt connect to reality at all. Both denigrating existing mods without foundation or merit implying bad faith motives and ignorance on their part.

And assuming there are some interested in CA yet also perfectly disinterested in sides mods (or should that be angels) in waiting, who arent already engaged on those forums and would somehow a priori be better than current mods.

And who would pick these angels?

Doesnt stand up to any scrutiny.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it would be very obvious if someone was only reporting posts that disagreed with them.

I would disagree that most mods actions are the result of reporting. There wouldn't be so many complaints about no response to reporting if that was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

….

Posting off topic is abused to derail threads , and to spam multiple threads with the same issue. Usually because they've been told to stop in another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well it is like school children when people are too busy watching others rather than watching their own posting styles or posts. If someone reports a post, it is the Mod who has to deal with it.

If it is reported and deemed not actionable, then nothing happens. if posters/posters are actioned in any way, that's their own fault, as there was clearly something wrong with their post in the first place.

It is not about controlling the minority opinion, everyone is entitled to their own, but if its actioned then its against the charter, its that simple.

I genuinely dont believe people are continuously reporting posts, its never been mentioned by a Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Unfortunately, the simple answer is that there aren't enough personnel to run the site successfully anymore, at any level from mod right up to staff.

There are major overhauls needed to significant portions of the site, whether that be:

• closing/merging/even creating forums
    • appointing new mods/cmods/admins
    • fixing the rules (threadbans should never have existed outside of the DRP process)
    • rewriting charters to keep up with the changing landscape of forums
    • technical functionality

However, the current mods, cmods, admin, staff can't keep up with the basic running of the site, never mind improving it. That's not their fault - there simply aren't enough bodies for the work.

There are no easy fixes here. Ideal scenario is a top-down investment - the owners hire staff and provide them with the backing and tools to reform the site. I think it's pretty unlikely to happen though.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Is it banned with prison access maybe ?

Not sure what it is .

On banned posters posting elsewhere on similar threads ..

I think it depends if the thread was set up in order to and is discussing exactly the same topic .

This is where the topic of a thread and dragging off topic etc comes to the fore although agree that it is something that people could be warned about publicly but being banned for it seems a bit strong.

There are a few things that are very heavy to be banned for , like posting anecdotes ,back seat modding , and dumping links , that should really only attract a warning and as posters have said above the card system or the public warning on the thread would sort that out pretty quickly along with bickering and straying genuinely off topic due to a wandering conversation .

Not saying that somebody who repeatedly does the same thing is not taking the proverbial and should be actioned accordingly .

I also think that longtime posters who are mostly well behaved being thread banned for a series of these smaller and forgive me , petty offences ,but are reported to get rid of opposing views , is shooting the site in the foot really.

Especially when the main offenders against the" not being a dxck " premise are posting away with impunity .

Like a referee stopping play continually in a game for minor infractions but allowing a goal when half the scoring team are off side .

It's too few mods reacting to reported posts without having the time to read through the whole conversation .

Would say certain posters would be looking for a veto / or a casting vote :)

There's an argument to be made that if you don't have resources then cut your cloth to fit.

Ban the subjects that overload the mods. Other forums do this. Simply don't allow subjects which are too much work.

Force some strict rules like new posters can't create threads or post on certain forums until they've had x number of trouble free posts.

I'd argue there are smaller sites with mostly stock forum installs that work a lot better than boards does. That's with minimal resources also..

Reduce the footprint. Get rid of all the old posts. Most are obsolete and can't be searched anyway. Its dead weight.

Agree.

Particularly when the problems with the cheapy upgrade are still being ' fixed' 3 years later .

• Advertisement

To often it's one person repeatedly breaking the charter gets no attention but someone does it once in response gets the book thrown at then. There is no point posting in a thread or forums where that's going on.

You don't even have to be sanctioned. If someone is constantly allowed to act the Muppets that makes people leave a thread also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Obviously if someone if site banned, they need to re reg to contest dispute it

Only mods should moderate mods. No one else has earned that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Open to correction, but I think before Vanilla, the prison forum was exempt from site bans to allow user to dispute and/or plea their cases.

I guess another thing that Vanilla can't support...

Something in that vein was definitely said at one point. That Mods only had the capacity to respond to reported posts (that is my paraphrasing).

I agree it does not change things though, each post should stand on its own merit. There is no way that Mods could, or should be expected to read every post.

That was not intended as a serious comment , flinty , hence the smiley face !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,397 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I just dip in and out of CA so can't comment on the modding there, but I'd argue the modding in AH is great. The mods are involved on threads as normal users and only step in occasionally when needed.

In fact, they so rarely interrupt the flow of a thread with mod notes that you take note when they do. I'm like this:

Then the thread carries on but everyone follows the mod warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,397 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's a waste of mods time, and if anyone regularly reports posts that don't require mod intervention they should be warned and eventually threadbanned.

Only the mods know this information, but it must be tedious looking at spurious reports.

• Advertisement

Yes, they should, but there is no evidence or reports from mods of this happening. They would surely mention it if it were an issue.

It is the people claiming that others are serial reporting that are the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement