Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Fugs!!

I'm going to festivals for 31 years and that was the absolute best. Hands down. Just when I was thinking I'm too old for this ****. It's my fourth atn and I thought the first one couldn't be topped but I was wrong.

Overhead the albatross were fukin amazing and so passionate. The wailers were super fun and everyone in love like an orgy. King kong company were hilarious and fun. Jiggy in global rootes were super jiggy. The devlins!!! Epic.

Too many more to mention but they were my highlights.

Boutique camping is the way to go. Pints of gunnies were delicous and pie man for a proper feed.

Slayer to headline next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭charlietully

Very sorry for your loss. I was heading myself but caught whooping cough the week before. My sister passed away last year and was a huge fan of the national and gorgon city and sent me a lot of their songs in the months before she passed. I can imagine you had some moments. Very happy you went and enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭crl84

BTP is good, but it's basically just a big field with some stages scattered around it. Basically no nooks and crannies or few of the flourishes that make ATN, or made B&S, early EP etc….

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭mgkelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yes mostly true, but I'd argue there is a few nooks and crannies to explore. BTP's big advantage is that it's so small. You can walk anywhere in a couple of minutes. The crowd is as good as you'll get at an Irish festival. I love it and ATN, and will hopefully make both next year (BTP not looking good though as clashes with a holiday).

• Advertisement

Folks, a question. Anyone know Beach Fossils? So, I'd checked them out beforehand. They sounded ok - slightly jangly, guitar-pop. Nearly didn't go see them, but so glad I did! I wondered was I listening to the same band! They were severely 'rocked up' live! There were 3 guitars. They made a helluva lot of good noise. It is almost as if their album stuff is very sanitised. Live was awesome! Might of course also have been fuelled by Guinness (they played at Lovely Days stage, & the black stuff seemed to flow freely for the artists!) as well as sleep deprivation (they'd had a tough journey to get there, they said).

So, I'm listening back to them again, now, and still wondering if it is the same band! For example, there's a 2017 album called Somersault, with a song called Saint Ivy. There's a darned flute playing, for God's sake!

🤷‍♂️

In fact, they sound a bit like Pond!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭optogirl

Sorry for your loss too Charlie. Life can be a kick in the face sometimes but I guess we take the happy moments where we can get them. Hope you have recovered. I am still in a heap following 3 days of hedonism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Same band. I've never seen them live simply because they were too lightweight, poppy and jangly for me on record. Nowt wrong with flutes btw; Spiritualized, Bardo Pond, early Mercury Rev, Ozric Tentacles and a plethora of Funk all utilise the ol' flute to fine effect!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Och, agree w.r.t. flute! Was surprised at how rock-y they were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Anyone at the Floating Points gig, did you hear the moment he dropped Aphex Twin's Polymonial C, it fitted in lovely with his own stuff. I managed to catch a short snippet of it till he changed the track.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dunph

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Was a bloody brilliant weekend, so happy I went with this and dropped EP this year. Hak Baker was my absolute highlight closely followed by a toddler in his dad's shoulders giving it absolute socks to Kabin Krew. Also there was a girl in Hidden sounds on Friday night that sang The parting glass in Irish, mesmeric.

Met loads of sound people and didn't see 1 bit of trouble, only gripe was the security around entrance was a bit lax, could have just bought a campervan ticket and still make it into the main area on Friday, bit better on Saturday.

Had to laugh at Hak saying he'll be out to enquire about some Magic Mushrooms after the gig 🤣 We were chilling on the grass and caught him by accident, but really enjoyed it. Lovely Days was a great stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Rfrip

here wishing it was this time last week

Can’t ask for much more from a festival.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Agreed, and so far it looks like this weekend will be dry with no rain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

FP was one of the highlights for me. Got in nice and early to get a perfect centre spot and it was a joy from start to finish. Such a great set and the crowd were brilliant too. And the sound…I will never get tired of a good kick drum in techno.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Has there been any clarity around why the Prodigy only played the intro to or samples of some of their songs instead of full versions? And why they finished 15 minutes early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭endainoz

Most likely a case of couldn't be arsed id guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭nomoedoe

They were at Carl Cox in Kildare looking at Carls instagram so they might of wanted to finish early to see his set

• Advertisement

That was an earlier set I think. Over by 10.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Doc07

I’m not sure what clarity this provides but they have been doing this for ages.
    For example since they started touring again in 2022 they play a short encore of 3-4 songs and finish with about 90 seconds worth of out of space. I’m a massive fan and would prefer longer versions of my favourite songs but I also realise it means they can vary the set list a small bit and also get in more songs , even if that means only a couple minutes of some of them.

Seen other comments about the interludes between songs. Firstly they’be been at that since the 90s and secondly in fairness the drummer and guitar player at least need a bit of a break between playing such intense songs live.

Finally, I’m not sure the Prodigy would consider they finished 15mins early unless they specifically were asked to do 90mins. They might have been on the ATN schedule for 90mins but again they have been doing sets of 1:15 /1:20 for ages now including this summer. So while disappointing it’s hardly surprising or sneaky.
    My only personal little gripe was that they didn’t play the Climbatize/Everybody in the Place remix. When they played that in Leeds when I went to see them in 2022 (in a much smaller 3000 capacity venue indoors) the roof nearly came off the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have said it here before that ATN should have more tribute/cover bands over the weekend, as there was a lot of gaps when there was nothing on.

It was said that cover bands shouldnt be there/ no way etc..

but We have had the NPG (more or less a Prince tribute) , Bootleg Beatles,

Dolly Parton tribute act … Talking heads tribute , and The Wailers (almost a tribute act…)

So why wouldnt these Charming Men (smiths) , Metal Militia (metallica) , Guns ReLoaded (g n' r ) , Faux Fighters (foo fighters) , Australian Doors, Australian Nirvana , Pearl Jem not be great additions to the line up ?

the Bandstand was a bit under used this year , as was the Well…. Stick those bands in there, guaranteed to pull a crowd ..
    Or not 'dancey' enough ? 😛

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Fanirish

cause having a dozen tribute bands on the line up is tacky/lowest common denominator and probably not the type of vibe the organisers want from their festival. They usually 3 or 4 tributes every year between sing along social, glasshouse themed set and various ping pong disco performers.
    I just don’t see ATN booking nirvana/foo fighter tribute bands. It’s giving too much local boozer tribute band.
    they want something more dynamic, camp or left of centre with the tribute shows at ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭optogirl

I would have welcomed tribute acts/pub bands in the late afternoon/early evening when a lot of stages were empty. It's in no way tacky - some music is better than no music. These Charming Men and the Beach Boys tribute are some of my favourite memories of EP tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Rfrip

yep this is it completely ! There’s no harm in having them on in the afternoon! We’re not asking for them as headliners!

so they just leave stages empty, and people walking/sitting around with little on??

Is that better then "tacky" tribute acts??

But 3-4 is ok ?? ok ….

The bandstand area would be packed for any of those bands i mentioned!
    Look at the crowd there for a (very) delayed Dolly tribute !! And if thats not tacky, i dont know what is , and they still got a very big crowd….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Jaysus, Fanirish. The notion that ATN is too good for tribute acts. What a load of cobblers. God knows EP has got a lot wrong over the last few years but as Rfrip and Optogirl have said, those sunny mornings at Trailerpark in front of the Beach Boys guys or Harvest Moon, the mass singalongs at the Salty Dog for the Roadhouse Doors or TCM are among my absolute happiest festival memories. Tacky my hole.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

Just a bit of "music snobbery" maybe .. ?

But 25 different djs playing 'samey' dance/house/techno music is the vibe they are looking for? Or are ravers more acceptable than those that would like a bit of rock? Or is it gonna turn into a predominantly dance music festival? (almost there as it is ….)

Is 'lowest common denominator' similar to 'popular' - What a lot of people would want? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rubick

Yes ravers are more acceptable than you crusty f*ckers.

(Yeeeeooo :D)

Advertisement