Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Totally agreed. An ME forecast of thunder usually puts a jinx on any activity. Some of the best thunderstorms I can recall over the years were completely unexpected and unannounced. Granted that they're pretty hard to forecast with much accuracy, but most of the time when predicted, they never materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Wonder if we will get thunderstorms Sunday and Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well this mornings ECM would certainly give a continued sense that Sun night into Mon morning has the possibility of thunderstorms. In fact showing an increasing chance of severe storms overnight and a prolonged event at that, currently anyway showing the possibility of heavy active storms slowly crossing the country from W to E for hours with heavy convective rain. The parameters rarely line up like what is being shown atm, most notably the warm moist airmass crossing the country after the warm day with very noticbly high levels of shear available and negatively tilted upper trough.

Definitely one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭esposito

Thanks for that update.

Can we finally get some interesting weather this summer? Fingers and everything else crossed for Sunday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Met Eireann mentioning thunderstorms sunday night, only in the east. The large area of thunderstorm activity associated with the heavy rain on sunday has rotated on itself before going north and avoiding the west coast. Another area of precipitation then sails in effortlessly later , completely devoid of thunder activity of course, which springs into life as it exits the east coast, and explodes into action across the irish sea and the uk later monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Uk met graphics showing a batch of storms moving up from the south east, avoiding the west, and intensifying and growing before exiting north between 1am and 5am Monday morning.

The second batch of rain, already in the west at the same time, crosses the country and intensifies into storms before exiting east and going forces over the UK.

It was August 14th 2022 that the last big thunderstorm hit my area of meath with spectacular lightning but amazingly no rain, just gusty winds. Interesting to see what happens this time but the ingredients are there. Meteorite will be busy over the weekend ⛈️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Not sure how accurate this 'significant weather' modeling is on Meteologix, but the purple in the below gif indicates thunderstorm activity:

Based on that, first thing Monday morning Ive a chance of seeing some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Monday 3am. Again ,could all change but a good chance .

Interestingly MT is saying the South and east will avoid these storms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

Lol! This is so true!

But if there is one tid bit of hope, it's that I'm going to a wedding event on Sunday and will be stuck at the evening do if any evening / night thunderstorms do kick off. So that means they probably will! And I'll miss a good bit of the action ;-)

I wonder if warnings Will be issued for thunderstorms on Sunday night into Monday morning, I just hope we see some I do love a good thunderstorm 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Meteologix ECM significant weather charts above which incorporates a lot of parameters are very handy initially to highlight the possibility, obviously low resolution but often give a good indication and is about the best indictive chart for thunderstorms out there I reckon….but it can get it wrong or go off a scent and where they show storms might not actually happen there but in the general area but when they show the chance of severe storms close to the time they are more than often right.

There are many charts and index's which can be combined to give an indication , the K index can be useful too as part of a suite.

IMO still very impressive deep layer shear readings and the risk for thunderstorms is high at this stage I would reckon and leaning towards some potent / severe storms also with very heavy localised rainfall, some of the big storms possibly producing hail and downdraughts, possible funnel formation or could we hear of some tornadic activity with all that shear available ??

Very much likely getting close to the mid 20's for a good part of the country especially central counties with increasing high humidity raising the DP into the high teens, humidex giving readings of feeling like 27 or 28C, temps slow to come down into the night, possibly still 19 or 20c in places in the early hours of Mon morning.

Unstable shortwave trough ahead of the front and upper negatively tilted trough all aiding instability.

Personally would expect yellow warnings quite widely and wouldn't be surprised to see Orange level warnings. Spot flooding possible and could hear of a few big leaks into large shop like premises

Charts and positioning will change a bit but good to upload them to see how this develops. Hi Res charts still a bit out of range for the finer details .

Definitely a night to get the cameras ready ( safely ).

From Meteologix

Thank you 😊 for posting that , I will get my camera ready and also prepare for possible poweroutages as well

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

looks like we will have an interesting night in bantry if this pulls off!

TOMORROW - Sunday 11th August

Tomorrow morning and afternoon will be mostly dry with a mix of cloud and hazy sunny spells, although patches of light rain or drizzle are possible in the south and west. Showers will move into southern and western areas during the evening and some will be heavy and thundery. Highest temperatures of 20 to 25 degrees with a moderate to fresh southeasterly wind developing.

Sunday night: Widespread heavy and thundery showers likely, merging to longer spells of rain with hail and localised flooding possible. A clearance will build over the western half of the country by dawn. Humid with temperatures not falling below 12 to 17 degrees with moderate, occasionally fresh, southerly winds veering westerly.

Why can’t they just say ‘Thunderstorms’ 😂

• Advertisement

They said thunderstorms yesterday, they tend to change their language continously when describing thunder and lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭pureza

I think the rain and storms will march north northeastwards through the Midlands eventually leaving by exiting through meath louth and ulster

Theres previous form for that trajectory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

A band of heavy rain moving eastwards across the country on Sunday night and Monday morning, with thundery downpours possible.

Potential Impacts:

• Localised flooding
    • Difficult travelling conditions
    • Poor visibility

Valid: 22:00 Sunday 11/08/2024 to 08:00 Monday 12/08/2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd say midland and east will get some. The temperature on that graph above in my mind is simply too low for it to kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

If Met Eireann issue a orange warning for places it most likely will not be until they have a clear picture of whats going on so it will be most likely be as these storms develop with flash orange warnings.

Yeah that’s what has happened in the past. They issue them at the last minute, sometimes even when the worst of them have passed. Expect the same tomorrow night

Massive downgrade on the met office graphics. Thundery showers for some north midland areas and the main rainband becomes less intense after hitting the west coast, dissipating as it crosses the country.

Looking like a big thunderstorm night tomorrow night. Very possible to see widespread Orange warnings I would think. Rarely do you see Deep Layer shear so strong, and with such a warm moist airmass moving over the warm air from the day across Ireland, looks to get up to the mid 20's and showing temps of 18 to 20c well into early Mon morning with DP's in the high teens. Lower shear available also and convergence zones with forcing evident. The PWAT readings showing possibility of 35mm and the 24 hr precipitation charts reflect that in places but in fact this rain could fall in a very short space of time so spot or local flooding a distinct possibility. Probably hear of steamy roads from the heavy showers. With so much shear and instability ( AROME showing over 1000 J/KG possible ) thunderstorms could be quite potent and a loud noisy night in parts. Would expect CG lightning strikes from this set up with reports of damage.

. AROME also picking up on the possibility of gusts from those thunderstorms so could get quite intense under the storms for short periods of time. Should be all well cleared by around the morning commute except for the far NE .

Anywhere really could get a storm but they do seem to increase in strength passing up over the midlands into the NE ( reflective of Met Eireann's Yellow warning for the country, impossible to pinpoint but tomorrow might have a better idea of areas with the most threat ). Orographic lift in the W and SW might also produce some strong storms and heavy convective showers of rain and hail. The weather looks to travel in a SW to NE direction.

• Advertisement

I can see a possible thread being opened for this coming heavy rain and thunderstorms, orange warnings ⚠️ will most likely be issued tomorrow 30mm in 6 hours is in that quteria

Advertisement