Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭what_traffic

For example.

ABP gave permission for the Seamus Quirke Road/ Bishop O Donnell Road (SQR/BOD) Bus Lane scheme and signal controlled junctions back in 2003 to Galway City Council for the Westside. The Roads Engineers in City Council wanted a DUAL carriageway and multilane roundabout at that time for SQR/BOD

Galway City Council ONLY got around to building it in 2011 even though they got planning back in 2003- however they only did this after the 1st BYPASS scheme was killed.

Same pattern observed here for Galway Transportation Study of 2016 and BusConnects. They are playing the waiting game, they want the car traffic situation to deteriorate.

There has been no NEW meters of bus lanes built (since Rahoon Road inbound bus lane in 2012) in the period of 2013-2023 in Galway City (2013 was the announcement of the GCRR - remember attending the OPEN day in the Maldron Hotel back in October 2013 )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Seems Like a very easy to do project with massive benefits. I note it's the council lending the project, not the NTA so it's probably destined to failure. If it was successful their Bypass pet project would face greater viability issues.

These types of projects should be taken off the council and transferred to the nta. Clearly not enough competency at council level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The NTA don't lead projects, they fund them and set the parameters.

Its always the local authority that contracts the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭flatty

You clearly for whatever reason don't want it built. You'd rather have oul diesel's in standing traffic bilging toxins out for folk to breathe. I suspect you live in an area affected by the road. That area has the deepest pockets in Galway unfortunately.

It certainly isn't a false argument no matter how you try and twist it, because the houses have already been built in an urban sprawl from Salthill to moycullen. There is no transport infrastructure. There aren't even enough pavements. That horse bolted so long ago it is in the food chain. There's a few of the ultra rich who are perfectly content that the residents of lower Newcastle and all the estates circling the east side of the bridge are living in permasmog so long as the view isn't spoiled. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭ratracer

Post edited by ratracer on

• Advertisement

Agree that Councils are a mess in this Country. Little power(apart from re-zoning) and unaccountable. Needs big reform.

NTA have ALL the data on the City Service Buses - they really should be putting BIG BIG pressure on the Council to put in these bus gates ASAP. Its been practically a decade since they were first proposed and would have far greater benefit now that 10 yrs ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

lol. You missed the mark on everything. Remind me to never trust you for betting tips cause they'd be half way to the glue factory before the off. Don't think I haven't noticed this is another attempt to try and bate the topic away from the original nonsense idea you floated about it being a "net positive for the environment" which is clearly false.

The only thing you're kind of right on is that I don't think the bridge should be built. The fantasy life you made up for me is completely wrong though. I want traffic and transport improved and I don't think the M6 will do that. Simple. I've no issue with large infrastructure projects, but they should be given the respect they deserve and employed to maximise the return. This will be a massively costly project (in terms of cash, environment, disruptions, etc.) and won't give the improvement to transport infrastructure we need. Simple. No fantasies about elites in castles in the clouds needed.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. I don't think you're discussing in good faith. You're throwing out nonsense theories as if they're fact and bating topic jumps when they're being called out without responding to the original point. My opinion on the topic is in the middle paragraph so not much else to say and I need to go shout at the help for making eye contact when I walked into the room. Just took a break from counting my gold to post on boards.ie…..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The bridge will be built eventually, just at a greater cost than what could have been achieved prior to objections and delays, the moycullen bypass is on a small scale but the benefits can be seen by all out west of the city and it's confirmation of how badly a bypass is needed in the city. Galway has suffered at the hands of the greens and they have had their answer in the ballot box. It's time they were taken on in europe as well and put back in their box. I'm all for climate change and sustainability but sitting in lines of traffic because of objections for 30 years has made me question the green agenda. A bypass would free up the city centre for pedestrianisation and public transport options. But it's easier just object to everything and pretend we can keep the Galway of the 1980's when most of these greens blew into college in Galway and formed most of their ideas in Mick Taylors in a haze of weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

The Moycullen bypass has only just opened and is following the widely understood pattern of showing an initial improvement that will then taper off. Anyone with even a passing understanding of travel patterns and induced demand knows that the improvement will be only temporary. In a few short years it will take just as long to get from Roscahill to Newcastle as it did before the bypass opened, but there will be more cars doing the journey.

You only have to look at Oranmore or Tuam. Traffic in those towns is just as heavy, if not heavier, than before their bypasses were built. Did those bypasses "free up the (town) centre for pedestrianisation and public transport options"? No, they just encouraged/created an increase in car traffic.

And do you really believe that a Galway Ring Road* would "free up the city centre for pedestrianisation and public transport options"? What is your basis for that? The examples above and elsewhere would give no confidence that this will happen and the planning application by the local authorities specifically forecasts that the public transport and active transport usage percentages will not be increased by the ring road. So why do you think this will happen when the people actually charged with developing the plans are clear that the expect it will not happen?

It's interesting that you feel the need to demonise people for their opinions, and use lazy characterisations, rather than engage on a factual basis. Is it really that hard to understand that people can be against the ring road for the same reason you say you are for it, that they don't like sitting in lines of traffic. The only difference is that they understand that a ring road, without any option to shift to other transport choices, will just result in more people sitting in even longer lines of traffic.

*Don't try to pretend it's a bypass. Even the local authority application doesn't pretend it's a bypass. A bypass doesn't have multiple exits feeding traffic into the city centre.

What improvements in public transport, cycling, etc. have come with the Moycullen bypass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@Unrealistic I find it hard to believe that Oranmore and Tuam have become the only towns in the history of the State whose traffic congestion has increased after a motorway bypass was built. You’re the first person I’ve ever heard stating this, so if you’re making this claim, you’re going to have to find impartial evidence to back it up.

With Moycullen, you may be seeing locals starting to use the town more, rather than through traffic. I assume they’ve now dropped the speed limit to 50 km/h through here (it was 60 before the bypass). Any induced demand effects will be seen on the bypass road, not the main street.

I am against the Ring Road, if you’re wondering, but bypassing towns on busy through-routes is good policy, both socially and environmentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

But…the project isn't a bypass. It's a distributor/bypass "ring road". It'll only operate as a bypass for a couple of years before it's clogged again. That's literally what most people are complaining about.

I don't have any problem with a bypass, but Galway councillors are saying that they need this road to facilitate development. What I'm saying is that it's not being built to free up transport, it's being built to "unlock development lands". This is something you should also be pushing against, if you're in favour of a bypass?

They really need to remove a few of the junctions if it's to work as a bypass. But also I believe that if they do this the projected traffic figures won't be high enough to justify the project, so they're in a bit of a bind. And if the project goes ahead in its current form you'll get a dysfunctional road like the N40 or M50, which need ever-increasingly expensive projects to fix the bottlenecks. We should just build a bypass and do it right first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep bypasses aren't bad. Nor are distributors. We need both, and I'm actually in favour of both in Galway but against this project. What's designed just looks to me like a repeat of old mistakes. Sometimes very well educated and informed design teams make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I don't have data to hand, and I'm not going digging for it, but maybe I didn't phrase myself very clearly. Taking Oranmore as an example, the bypass there is 30 years old and nothing was done to encourage alternative travel choices within the town after it was built. I don't think that there is any doubt that there is more traffic within Oranmore town today than there was 30 years ago. It's only natural that there would be with the increase in housing in the town since then and nothing done to discourage car traffic within the town or to make other transport options more attractive. But the bypass also certainly increased overall traffic as it made it more viable for people to choose to live in Clarinbridge/Gort/Ennis and work in Galway city. You can argue that the bypass is a good thing, as someone travelling from Limerick to Sligo no longer had to drive through Oranmore, but the other effect was to increase the number travelling by car from south Galway and further into the city, bypassing Oranmore, but then contributing to increased congestion on the Coast Road, the Old Dublin Road, Bothar na dTreabh etc. The one positive here is the opening of Oranmore station (albeit 2 decades after the bypass was built), and the rail connectivity from Gort and Ennis, but if you're living in Bluebell Woods for example there are still no attractive options to get from your house to the station other than by car through the town.

The bypass of Moycullen will work out the same way. I know people who were already commuting from Doon and Oughterard to the east side of the city before the bypass, and they are having a much easier commute since the bypass opened. But painful nature of that commute before the bypass limited the number of people willing to take it on. Now the existence of the bypass is going to encourage more people who work in the east city employment hotspots to live north of Moycullen. Before long the traffic delays will equalise again, just with increased volumes over what was there before. And there's no prospect of rail arriving as partial relief like it did for Oranmore.

The Ring Road, as currently planned will just have the same effect on a much larger scale. Despite the efforts of one lazy poster above to dismiss the objectors as anti-everything dope smoking greens it has been frequently pointed out, in this thread and others that touch on the subject, that if there was a comprehensive transport plan, that incorporated a ring road with corresponding improvements in public transport and active travel provision, then much of the opposition would evaporate.

Good post re Oranmore Unrealistic- even post Bus Connects the #404 still won't be stopping at Oranmore Train Station

Still waiting on BASIC Bus Shelters for Moycullen and Oranmore village centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

This is hilarious. On the one hand you want people to "engage on a factual basis". On the other hand you say:

You only have to look at Oranmore or Tuam. Traffic in those towns is just as heavy, if not heavier, than before their bypasses were built.

I can't comment on the situation in Oranmore, but this statement is completely false in relation to Tuam.

When asked to provide facts on which you made this statement, you say:

I don't have data to hand

Doesn't seem like "engaging on a factual basis" to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Look, the Galway City Council cannot even put a cycle lane along the prom in Salthill because it means removing car parking spaces.

First and foremost the road trough the town is now far more pedestrian and cycle friendly and business is benefiting , but I guess nothing I say will convince you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: This thread was closed previously because of off-topic posts.

Some off-topic posts have been deleted.

Please keep to the topic.

Just to be clear, this thread is not closed but will be if off-topic posts become a problem.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

Think you're misunderstand me here. That all sounds great and a big benefit to the village. But there's no PT improvements coupled with these developments so probably little reduction in the number of people driving to work, etc., which is what we really need. The roads will be filled up again if there isn't this modal change. Only a matter of time. Then we'll have even more cars on the road that need to be accommodated. It's impossible to have everyone driving all the time without traffic issues. Too much space needed for each person (I.e. the size of a car), too many pinch points, too many chances of accidents or breakdowns, etc.

That's what my issue with the M6 is. If it was part of a bigger plan to incentivise a shift to more efficient forms of transport then it would be fine. But it's just more of the same and that doesn't work.

And no I'm not "anti car" before that old troupe gets trotted out. Grew up in the country during the times it went from no cars to two cars per driveway. They're unbeatable for how flexible and versatile they are but they're not without downsides. Sitting in traffic jams while life ticks away being my least favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The road will be brilliant for those who want to explore the west of county galway.

The city still being sardines is a shame but by no means a reason not to let people who have no business there have to suffer those fkn lights on bothar na drab

In fairness, the moycullen bypass has been great for moycullen itself, but it remains to be seen whether it will make much difference getting into Galway or over the bridge until the schools and college are back.

Most folk moving out that way are doing so because they can't afford what they want home wise, be it purchase or rental in Galway city.

Id say the opposite, moycullen is a great place to live, most in Galway couldn't afford to live out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I live in Moycullen and commute to the east side of the city for work (by car).

The bypass hasn't really made a difference to me in the morning time because the issue is that traffic is typically bumper to bumper from Newcastle/Dangan all the way out to Moycullen (during school term).

It is beneficial on the way home as there is less traffic in the village.

Advertisement